| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:49 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I tried out the chipotle seitan and potato tacos today, and they were really great. But they weren't very filling, even though I added an extra loaf of seitan, so I'm gonna have to make some beans to go with the leftovers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:20 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I made a bunch of stuff from this cookbook this weekend -- mojo tofu, Venezuelan black beans (where I cheated and used a jar of sorfito), yellow rice (made with brown rice, so it looked more orange than yellow), and the swiss chard with raisins and capers (with a lot less capers than the recipe calls for, because I only like capers in very small doses.) All really good, and enough food for several days worth of meals. I also bought the ingredients for the stuffed roasted plantains, but didn't get around to making them yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yum! I'm awaiting my yummy lunch of a Columbian arepa (I sixthed the recipe to make one to order for lunch) and some Latin shredded seitan to stuff inside and a test recipe salad from one of Isa's upcoming book. I mean to make the thicker arepa but flattened and kneaded too far so I guess I'm making a Columbian style! I think tomorrow I'll try the thicker arepa because it'll be tricky stuffing this one (it's so flat) I think I might just spread the filling over. Anyway, it's gonna be so yum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

That "So Good, So Green Sauce" has become a staple in this house any time I make tacos/tostadas, or even to top Gallo Pinto. AMAZING, delectable, beautifully green, and elevates the food's taste and appearance to a completely different level. The incredible flavor lingers with you for a while afterward.... With a big bowl of this sauce on the table, we truly didn't miss guacamole or avocado with the tostada feast I prepared for my family and visiting omni uncle last week.

{Also love that fresh and vinegar-y Green Onion Salsa on Gallo Pinto, but I digress.}

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:17 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm using this book for the PPK cookbook challenge this week, but most likely I'm going to be the only one eating most of the food because my roommate detests spicy food.

I'm assuming the drunken beans can be frozen (since it's a saucy recipe). Can the taquitos be frozen?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Loved the arroz con seitan! I have two loaves of the white seitan leftover though. What should I make with it?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:36 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Had a delicious meal last night from this book. Romaine and tomatoes with the chipotle version of the Creamy Ancho Chili Dressing, Mango-Jicama Chopped Salad, Mexican Street Corn and Quick Red Posole with Beans. Everything was fantastic, especially the corn. I didn't have time to make the cashew cream, so I just used Vegenaise, which I was totally apprehensive about, but it was soooo good. Will probably be a frequent side this summer. I roasted the corn in the oven with the husks on, so it was super easy too.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm making my first batch of empanadas tomorrow. Any advice? Or are they pretty self-explanatory?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:53 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Which ones are you doing?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Seitan and potato? Something like that. I may use soy chorizo instead.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made the curdito cole slaw and am about to start a batch of cilantro lime rice to eat with my chickpea taco Hockey Night In Canada meal tonight.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:11 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Has anyone successfully made the sopes? I tested them, and couldn't get the edges to stay up. I tried them again yesterday and this time I couldn't even form them at all. I ended up throwing it all away and using the filling in tacos instead.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:59 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I've been making double recipes of the latin tofu and yellow garlic rice about once per week. So simple, so easy, and so satisfying. Last night I made both recipes without any oil and I couldn't notice the difference. I just didn't use the annatto oil and added some saffron to the rice. It still came out great!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:24 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Millenijen wrote:
I've been making double recipes of the latin tofu and yellow garlic rice about once per week. So simple, so easy, and so satisfying. Last night I made both recipes without any oil and I couldn't notice the difference. I just didn't use the annatto oil and added some saffron to the rice. It still came out great!

That's great to know that the oil isn't necessary! I loved the latin tofu when I tried it (something about the double roasting made it extra delicious), but I felt they were a bit greasy. I will try this!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:57 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I think that I doubled the soy sauce in the latin tofu to make up for the no oil.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I have had this book for a while (even before becoming vegan!) but I haven't done much in it. I made the chickpea enchiladas, that was really really good. I don't like corn tortilla that much though so I guess it's only my fault. I had too much filling, which I froze and it was great defrosted!

I also made the flan because I'm from France originally and I was raised on flan :P It was really good! I think it was a bit too sweet, so next time I will lessen the sugar. Also I think I overdid the caramel because it was really hard at the bottom of the ramequins. But all in all: same texture and taste as flans from my childhood (Flamby if there are any other French veg around :P ). Y'all inspire me to try more from it as soon as I am back home!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

This finally arrived in the mail today! Any suggestions for what my first dish should be? I've perused this thread here and there, and everyone seems to be stoked about the white seitan so I was thinking about doing something incorporating that.

I have to pour myself a glass of wine and get out the sticky notes to mark my first round of must makes. I have found this to be my new cookbook ritual.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

emmalv wrote:
This finally arrived in the mail today! Any suggestions for what my first dish should be? I've perused this thread here and there, and everyone seems to be stoked about the white seitan so I was thinking about doing something incorporating that.

I have to pour myself a glass of wine and get out the sticky notes to mark my first round of must makes. I have found this to be my new cookbook ritual.

I do the same thing with new books, but I've found that with the really awesome ones, I end up marking so many recipes that it's not even worth it. That would probably be the case for this one.

The arroz con seitan uses the white seitan, and it's really good.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:20 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yep, everything is really good. Just make it all! Off the top of my head, the grilled seitan and potato skiewers with the green dipping sauce are really good, the red rice is everything I ever wanted in "spanish rice" and the tress leches cake and flans are amazing.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:18 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I know, I practically have the whole book sticky noted, as creep warned me about! Everything looks good. I think I'm going to make the white seitan today to hopefully make the Arroz Con Seitan this weekend, but my husband also wants me to make the black bean/plantain stuffed tortillas (I forgot the proper name). Looks like a busy Saturday!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Just put your husband to work as slave labor sous chef. Tell him you will gladly make lots of yummy recipes if he will wash the veggies, mince the garlic, squeeze the limes, set the table, run out for forgotten ingredients, etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Solid plan, Rhizo (may I call you Rhizo?) I laughed. He's great though, because he actually will do the crepe kitchen jobs and runs out for stuff during the day (his schedule is flexible so it makes sense - about 75% of my texts to him are just random weird ingredients like "chappati flour, laundry soap, salsa").

Perhaps most importantly, he does the dishes....

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
the red rice is everything I ever wanted in "spanish rice"

I went looking for this recipe last night and couldn't find it... Didn't even see it as a variation under the other rice recipes. Can you please point me in the right direction? Thanx! =)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganVamp wrote:
That "So Good, So Green Sauce" has become a staple in this house any time I make tacos/tostadas, or even to top Gallo Pinto. AMAZING, delectable, beautifully green, and elevates the food's taste and appearance to a completely different level.

Quoting myself again (bad habit) to say I purchased an extra head of Romaine on sale, just to make this Green Aji Salsa - and it just NEVER disappoints. My husband (Mexican-born, VERY critical of vegan food and the "Mexican" food available in local restaurants) simply adores it.

Yesterday was so insufferably hot, and I had some potatoes I'd baked early that morning. We each ate one for lunch, completely doused in the Green Aji sauce (I topped mine with some warmed leftover mango baked beans and lots of nooch) - and that sweet/spicy/lemony combination of the mango beans and salsa, rounded out with the nooch, made it an unbelievably scrumptious and EASY meal.

Brown rice cooked early this morning = gallo pinto tonite, with a side of So Good/So Green (or vice versa)...

I need to cook more from this book! I've made gallo pinto too many times to count (but so easy and always have the ingredients).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:08 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

VeganVamp wrote:
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
the red rice is everything I ever wanted in "spanish rice"

I went looking for this recipe last night and couldn't find it... Didn't even see it as a variation under the other rice recipes. Can you please point me in the right direction? Thanx! =)

Oops, It's called Yellow Rice with Garlic. Wrong color, sorry! It's on page 96.

Emmalv, yes please call me Rhizo. It makes me happy when people do, and seems like I'm being reffered to by first and last name when people use my whole user name.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next