| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

zelavie wrote:
I have officially topped my previous highest weight ever, so I decided it's time to do something. I'm trying Weight Watchers online (currently on day 3). I like the apps - that's definitely going to help me out, since I can scan stuff at the grocery store to find points values, and track what I eat at work. I imagine the first couple of weeks will have decent losses, since I'm not eating an entire bag of chips in one sitting anymore. We'll see!

Good luck!

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2173726-bridgette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:16 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I went out of town for the weekend and stopped calorie counting (I entered rough estimates on MFP, but they were totally pulled out of my asparagus), and it was so nice! I'm having a hard time getting back into it now. Especially since I have restaurant leftovers in my fridge and can only guess at those calories anyway. I guess I'll just try not to eat back exercise calories this week and hope for the best?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:21 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So I really wasn't going to weigh myself until another two weeks had passed, but I pass a scale about 20 times a day at work and it has some magnetic draw for me...anyway I think I really lost 3 lbs!!! Super duper uber excited!!! Now I am feeling motivated to ditch the croutons I brought to put on my salad ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:38 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Measurements didn't change this week, but that's ok. I'm doing my best to maintain enthusiasm, motivation etc because right around now is when I usually throw my hands in the air. (Not because of the lack of weight loss, it's just a time thing-two-three months in is hard for me) Looking forward to continued weight loss in the future!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:07 am 
Not NOT A Furry

As I understand it from my A & P classes, "apple" shapes vs. "pear" shapes lose weight in different spots first for genetic reasons. I tend to also gain and lose the majority of my weight in my belly and my boobs-I'm an apple. Unfortunately as an apple, the adipose tissue around my internal organs and viscera (or my tummy) add blood vessel length (gotta keep blood flow going to the vital organs), and therefore increase blood pressure. If you carry extra weight in your butt and hips, (pear) this isn't as big of a concern.

Since I've been making a concerted effort to be active everyday, my BP has stayed in a good range , but slowly losing weight (5 lbs down, yay)! will continue to help me in this area. My Dad has taken BP medicine since his early thirties, so that is also genetically stacked against me, but I've made it to 46 and so far, have only gotten into the high end of pre-hypertensive range. But man...when I am less active and put on a few pounds (or add a lot of stress) my BP really starts to creep up there.

Anyway, I ended up rambling about all this per the bra conversation. I'm planning on going bra shopping at the end of next month, but I'm splurging at Nordstroms with a fitting. I'm sure I'm one of the 80% Oprah tells us is in the wrong bra...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:38 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Oh, geez. I've gained so much "honeymoon" weight over the past month and a half. I've been doing yoga daily and still gaining weight because I've been eating so poorly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:59 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Oh, geez. I've gained so much "honeymoon" weight over the past month and a half. I've been doing yoga daily and still gaining weight because I've been eating so poorly.

Aw, I'm sorry. I just wanted to say, your blog sounds amazing!

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2173726-bridgette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:27 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Down 10 lbs, the most in years of aborted diet attempts! It's the first couple pounds that are always the hardest for me. Had a few non-scale victories this week too, old clothes fitting and not nearly as sore after workouts.

Now the challenge is to keep tracking over the weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 am 
Semen Strong

It is so hard for me to throw out food! My husband made us oatmeal for breakfast, and made 3x the normal portion size (he doesn't have a good sense of portions). I literally spent 20 minutes vacillating over throwing out food and then ate most of it so as not to "waste" it. Which is so dumb because it was probably a few cents worth of oats.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:02 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Bit TMI but when I woke up I had to do a poo so I took advantage of weighing myself after. Down to 134.3lbs. Could be to do with all the hair that got cut off too but I'm going to take it that my weight is don't.

I was with the psych today and was discharged. If I stay stable for a while I can cut down the dose of the one that is the biggest weight killer. So here's to me staying mentally less interesting for a long while!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:15 am 

Tofulish wrote:
It is so hard for me to throw out food! My husband made us oatmeal for breakfast, and made 3x the normal portion size (he doesn't have a good sense of portions). I literally spent 20 minutes vacillating over throwing out food and then ate most of it so as not to "waste" it. Which is so dumb because it was probably a few cents worth of oats.

Oatmeal keeps okay in the fridge. Try that next time?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:22 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

ashley wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

My mom used to eat left over oatmeal the next day cold with milk on it. I tried it, and it's pretty good. I don't think you'd like it if you have texture issues or anything though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:28 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ndpittman wrote:
ashley wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

My mom used to eat left over oatmeal the next day cold with milk on it. I tried it, and it's pretty good. I don't think you'd like it if you have texture issues or anything though.

I've also heard you can keep it in the fridge and throw into bread later too! (I assume add-ins would just make the bread more interesting!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:38 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:

I'd food any less wasted if we eat it when we don't need/want it vs throwing it away?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:10 am 

lavawitch wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I'd food any less wasted if we eat it when we don't need/want it vs throwing it away?

I'd say that it is, personally. For me it's not really about wasted money (although that's definitely a concern!). It's the principle of throwing away food that I have a really hard time with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Quote:
'd food any less wasted if we eat it when we don't need/want it vs throwing it away?

yes, i think so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:56 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I save leftover oatmeal in the fridge sometimes too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Quote:
'd food any less wasted if we eat it when we don't need/want it vs throwing it away?

yes, i think so.

See, I don't think it is. Eating food we don't need is as wasteful as tossing it in the garbage. Different receptacle is all.

My eating a 3rd helping of something I don't need and gaining unwanted weight doesn't do any good over throwing the food into the garbage/composting it. It's still waste, its just permanently attached to my hips instead. I don't make a distinction between the privilege of throwing away food and the privilege of eating too much; feels the same to me.

I feel bad when I have to throw food out too, but I'll feel worse if I eat it instead.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

but you could always just eat less of the next meal?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I have the same train of thought as LW. Overeating doesn't help anyone. Wasting food is bad for a lot of reasons, but I don't think eating past feeling full is necessarily the answer to that problem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:49 pm 

Yes, or save leftovers. If portion control is the problem, there are ways around that - like portioning out meals immediately and refrigerating/freezing all but the serving you plan to eat immediately. I do that because it helps me a) waste almost no food, and b) not eat more than I need.

Plus, yeah, if I eat too much at lunch, I'll just eat less at dinner. If I seriously overate, I'm unlikely to want another huge meal anyway.

I don't mean to sound judgmental because that's totally not where I'm coming from. So if this is not helpful, ignore me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

VeganinBerlin wrote:
but you could always just eat less of the next meal?

If its a matter of leftovers a few hours later, I just eat the rest of what I couldn't finish. If it's a matter of dinner the next day, I'm not going to be any less hungry 12-24 hrs later! At least, my body doesn't work that way. Wish it did, then I could just eat more when I feel ok and not eat when I'm sick (can't eat, but still get dizzy/have blood sugar problems, boo).

I've had to get a lot better at managing recipe sizes, freezing things, and planning leftovers. It was really hard after my surgery when I was eating like egg sized portions as a meal.

Not finishing stuff because I didn't want to throw it away was one of the biggest helps in recovering from binging behavior; finishing the extra gave me a "free pass" on overeating. My nutritionist really drummed that into my head--if I don't want to throw food away, solve the problem before it gets to my plate!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 pm 

I certainly didn't mean eat less for dinner the next night. My body doesn't work that way either. But if I eat a heavy meal for breakfast or lunch, I will plan for my next meal to be lighter, usually. I try to even it out. That's where calorie counting really helps me. If I blow a big chunk of my "budget" early in the day, I play with the numbers to make the rest of the day balance out. Sometimes it just doesn't happen and I go over, but that's rare.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for all the input! I know I need to work on feeling comfortable just chucking food. I even have a hard time throwing out old food, because it feels like throwing away money. But of course it is ridiculous, esp if I am spending money and time trying to lose weight or needing to buy bigger clothes. And that isn't counting the emotional costs of being uncomfortable or less healthy. And I didn't even know about keeping oatmeal - I've been trying to avoid leftovers bc I had two food poisoning issues because I will eat stuff that is so questionable.

My husband can throw food away, but he can't pass up a bargain :) He'll buy 2 dozen donuts bc they are a BOGO even if he really just wants a dozen.

I definitely am going to use LW's tips.

I do the same thing Ashley! I will often have eaten 1000 cals by lunch and then adjust. Doing SparkPeople works for me because it makes me think about portion size and nutrients. Unchecked, I easily eat 2,000cals a day.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:33 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

ashley wrote:
Yes, or save leftovers. If portion control is the problem, there are ways around that - like portioning out meals immediately and refrigerating/freezing all but the serving you plan to eat immediately. I do that because it helps me a) waste almost no food, and b) not eat more than I need.

This is what I do too. I have a billion tupperwares of identical size, and when I make a big pot of something I immediately split it into an equal number of portions. This prevents me from overeating on really caloric foods like pasta and stuff. If I get hungry later, I try to graze on something with less calories (like carrot sticks). It's also nice because it means that Mr. Limone and I usually have lunch for the next day too.

In other news, my weight loss has slowed down. Realistically I should only be losing between half a pound to a pound per week given my diet and habits, which is where I'm at now so it's OK, but's not as exciting as the initial thrill of my body dropping like 5 pounds in 4 days (all water weight, I'm sure).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 144  Next