| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brighton VegFest, 16-17 March
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:09 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

fisticuffs wrote:
I can't believe it's been a year! Have fun and eat a cookie sandwich for me!

i know! i really want to go, but i'm not going to be able to get there this time. have fun and let us know how it was!

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Boho Gelato in Brighton won't be at the fair but its well worth stopping by their shop in Pool Valley (by the coach station) if you're passing through Brighton as they have the most amazing choc hazelnut sorbet plus other fab flavours. Their sorbets large really creamy, not icy as you'd expect sorbets to be. Be sure to ask what is vegan - it's usually the 4-5 flavours on the front left of the cabinet.

(There will be 'buy 2 scoops, get 1 free' flyers at the fair but only once I get there and find a leaflets table to put them on.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:15 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I ate all the cake. And sushi, and cheese and onion crisps, and sour cherry sweets. We just had your cupcakes for pudding, Jojo, brillian! Sadly tthe decorations didn't survive my power walking bag slinging style back home, but they both tasted brilliant (raspberry doughnuts was both of our favourites)!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I am sooooo going to try make it over next year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:29 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

daisychain wrote:

awesome! i'll make arrangements well in advance so i can't waffle like i did this time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
daisychain wrote:

awesome! i'll make arrangements well in advance so i can't waffle like i did this time.

It's a date then!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I've eaten so much, it hurts! Bought so much Vegusto that I can't shut the fridge door. Got the last of Jojo's maple bacon cupcakes. And bumped into an old friend who turned out to be Rentaghost on this forum! Good times!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:50 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

if i'd known you were going i would have bothered you for a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Was lovely to see you Ruby Rose!

I feel I didn't eat enough when I was there, there was so much tempting savoury hot food around wasn't there! I haven't sampled any of my cakes yet either but I have a couple of Jojo's cupcakes to look forward to.

The only thing I've tried is the caramel filled egg and although the filling was nice the chocolate was a weird flavour and consistency so that was a disappointment. I got a cream egg made by the same person so I hope that's a bit better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am pissed off that I didn't get there, was all set to come with my sister on Saturday and then came down with some shitty cold thing, grrrrr.

Damn you Universe.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm sad that I didn't get to spend more time with you, RR. If I'd realised you weren't joining me and Jojo and the boys for dinner, I would've just sent Mike back to the hotel by himself!

We bought a total of 5 Mini Moos, 17 cupcakes, 4 cookie sandwiches, 3 slices of bakewell tart, 1 mini donut (from Jojo's cupcake), 2 small donuts and 3 large donuts (I think that was it for the sweets). We made it home with 4 cupcakes and 2 Mini Moos. I kinda wish Jojo had made some of those mini donuts to sell separately from the cupcakes because that was the best donut I had all weekend.

We're definitely going again next year. Our plan worked really well apart from not being able to take any cold stuff home because we didn't have anywhere to keep it. But I'm definitely gonna do the food differently next year. I missed out on so much stuff because I hit all the sweet stuff on Saturday and didn't realise the vendors weren't there on the Sunday. Also, I'm gonna make sure Mike has something with which to entertain himself so he doesn't drag me away in the middle of the day (he forgot his Kindle on Saturday, so we left way early). And I'm definitely gonna be more proactive about getting together with people, since I basically saw everyone but Jojo in passing (if at all).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:48 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

It was so great to see everyone! I'm still so excited about how well my stall went & I'll definitely attempt to bake even more cake next year!

Rachel37, dinner was great & it was super fun to hang out again. I love your "stuff we bought list", I wish I'd managed to get a piece of the bakewell tart.

Rachwins wrote:
We just had your cupcakes for pudding, Jojo, brillian! Sadly tthe decorations didn't survive my power walking bag slinging style back home, but they both tasted brilliant (raspberry doughnuts was both of our favourites)!

Yaaaay!! Did our school teach power walking? I walk super fast & always ruin cupcakes!

daisychain wrote:

Do it!!

Ruby Rose wrote:
I've eaten so much, it hurts! Bought so much Vegusto that I can't shut the fridge door. Got the last of Jojo's maple bacon cupcakes.

Yay! I've had mixed reviews of the maple bacon, people either love it or hate it it seems! We bought loads of Vegusto too and took it all to Ireland with us! I'm in love with the Farmhouse sausages.

rentaghost wrote:
I haven't sampled any of my cakes yet either but I have a couple of Jojo's cupcakes to look forward to.

I hope you liked them!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:27 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

They were the best ones I tried! I loved the doughnut one, it was my favourite. I liked the maple bacon but was expecting it to be 'bacon' bits, I wished it was more bacony to get the full experience of the flavour combo.

I dropped the green one on the pavement but I'd had a bite which was a mixed blessing - at least I knew how good it was . . . but knowing how good it was made it harder to lose it!

(I was less keen on the brownie but that's perhaps because raspberry seeds play havoc with my teeth.)

Hope you enjoyed your holiday. It would be nice to see more changing flavours at Waikikamookau - now I've sampled more of the range I want them again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:15 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Yay rentaghost, I'm super happy you liked them! Thanks for the feedback on the bacon flavour too, I spent a while balancing the sweet/salty but perhaps I need to try a few more things.

I'd love to rotate the flavours at WaiKikaMooKau more too, some things just won't work there due to the longevity of the toppings or the price but I'll try to convince them to let me change it up a bit more!