| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Cookbook Challenge?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Bridgettebakes wrote:
Zula wrote:
I second Plenty by Yolam Ottolenghi. I've had it for over a year and haven't made anything from it, eek!

As gorgeous as this book looks, I personally tend to shy away from vegetarian books. Sometimes it's very easy to veganize a recipe, but sometimes I feel like elements of the recipe are crucial to the overall flavor.

Do you find most would taste fine, veganized?

Flipping through this book again, it looks like it's maybe 25-30% vegan recipes. Lots of others that couldn't be veganized call for specific cheeses, feta, taleggio, etc. There are also a slew that call for Greek yogurt. I'm dabbling a lot in veganism at the moment (20 year veggie) and I don't know of a way to sub for that. Draining soy yogurt? Making your own? I see that So Delicious has a greek-style yogurt, but I haven't found that in my area.

The main reason I never have cooked from it is that it looks tremendously fussy with hard-to-find ingredients. :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:55 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have so many under-appreciated books (I find myself cooking from AFR week after week; it's my favorite). I have cooked from Vegan Eats World, Cookin' Crunk, and Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day and everything has been great, but I could spend a lot more time with these books. I would like to use these more than I have:
Vegan Soul Kitchen
Papa Tofu Loves Ethiopian Food (intimidated by injera)
Vegan Slow Cooker and Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker
any of Dreena Burton's books ( I have 3 and never use them)
Nut Butter Uinverse
Vegan on the Cheap
Wild About Greens
Vegan Indian Cooking
Tess Challis's books

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks, pleas provide specific titles for dreena, i don't have any of her books and i don't know if her books are already on my list

p.s. and for tess too

p.p.s. papa tofu is a zine right, i put a +1 in the "zine" category on my spreadsheet.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Last edited by bookwormbethie on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

update
there are now 29 titles with 3+ votes but i do need to remove 6 of those titles because they are terry/isa. we are most definitely having an isa/terry week so there is no need to vote on particular titles. sorry for any confusion!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I also have Artisan Vegan Cheese and I need to use it more, but I'm not sure 2 weeks is enough to culture the cheeses. Perhaps it could be the last book in the challenge and participants could culture cheeses while all other challenges take place.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:06 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

rhelune wrote:
I also have Artisan Vegan Cheese and I need to use it more, but I'm not sure 2 weeks is enough to culture the cheeses. Perhaps it could be the last book in the challenge and participants could culture cheeses while all other challenges take place.

Great suggestion. I also proposed that we do a Artisan Vegan Cheese/Uncheese Cookbook combo week... not sure if bookwormbethie likes that idea or not, but it would give people the option of doing the fancy cultured cheeses and/OR the simpler, set in the fridge overnight-type recipes in Uncheese Cookbook.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:15 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Couldn't you though just use the 2 Isa/Terry books that have the most votes? Like if VEW has 13 votes and AFR has 10, but then VWAV only has 4, just leave it off? I would rather do one book per week instead of having to choose one myself, because I have decision issues, haha... But it's not that big of a deal. So pumped for this!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Limone wrote:
rhelune wrote:

Great suggestion. I also proposed that we do a Artisan Vegan Cheese/Uncheese Cookbook combo week... not sure if bookwormbethie likes that idea or not, but it would give people the option of doing the fancy cultured cheeses and/OR the simpler, set in the fridge overnight-type recipes in Uncheese Cookbook.

Maybe it would be a good idea for a themes cookbook challenge. I had mentioned on another page about doing a week for speciality diets but maybe the next cookbook challenge can be all themes...... so we could have something like: cheese books, gluten-free books, raw books, dessert books, lower fat books, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

True enough. I had just suggested it in this case because the recipes in Artisan Vegan Cheese are a bit more time-intensive as rhelune said. But it's up to the organizer!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Limone wrote:
rhelune wrote:

yes, limone, i have greatly appreciated all your wise and helpful advice during this process and indeed i have that combo week listed on my spreadsheet. with rhelune's "recomendation" above, that makes it have a tally of 4 :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
Limone wrote:
rhelune wrote:

Maybe it would be a good idea for a themes cookbook challenge. I had mentioned on another page about doing a week for speciality diets but maybe the next cookbook challenge can be all themes...... so we could have something like: cheese books, gluten-free books, raw books, dessert books, lower fat books, etc.

a themed cookbook challenge would be soooo awesome and i really hope that you (or someone else) initiates that at some point! however, for now, i am going to leave the uncheese & artisian cheese cookbook combo on the list, let the masses decide when they vote ;)

p.s. edited to add, and yes it they become official challenge cookbooks, i'll have it be the last 2 weeks to allow for fermentation/development, etc......

Last edited by bookwormbethie on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:
Couldn't you though just use the 2 Isa/Terry books that have the most votes? Like if VEW has 13 votes and AFR has 10, but then VWAV only has 4, just leave it off? I would rather do one book per week instead of having to choose one myself, because I have decision issues, haha... But it's not that big of a deal. So pumped for this!

i could do that, i'm a bit confused myself right now at how to best handle this. i feel so bad that i wasn't clear in my post about having a free isa/terry week. and i don't want the voting/poll situation to be confusing to everyone. i totally get you though, depending on the situation i can be very indecisive and love it when someone else makes all the decisions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I kind of hope that one of the cheese books makes it because I soooo want to get the Artisan Vegan Cheese. Yum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Right, after looking online and here I want to nominate Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day, Vegan Diner and Artisan Vegan cheese. Because I totally want to get those books.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:03 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Adding 1000 Vegan Recipes (Robin Robertson) to my list. My sister gave it to me and I completely forgot that I had it. Can you tell that I have too many cookbooks? Haha.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:36 pm 
Huffs Nooch

bookwormbethie wrote:
thanks, pleas provide specific titles for dreena, i don't have any of her books and i don't know if her books are already on my list

p.s. and for tess too

p.p.s. papa tofu is a zine right, i put a +1 in the "zine" category on my spreadsheet.

Oops, sorry about that!

For Dreena Burton:
Vive le Vegan
Eat, Drink & Be Vegan
Let Them Eat Vegan

Tess Challis:
Radiant Health, Inner Wealth
Radiance 4 Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks everyone!

now there are 31 cookbooks with over 3 recommendations.
At this point I am going to ask for a halt to recommendations since the online poll I am using can only accept 30 options (ack!)

However, there are 6 Isa/Terry books in the top 31. I'm still not 100% sure about what to do about that because I do want to have an Isa/Terry week.
Should I leave those 6 titles out of the voting? Or have a separate vote to choose a very specific isa/terry cookbook for that week?
(fyi, VEW has the most recommendations of any cookbook on my list, it has 12)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I would leave them off the general poll. I suppose if you had the initiative to do so, you could do an Isa/Terry poll to pick one specific winner and make that be a week, then a general poll for all the other books to pick 4-5 for that, and then still have an open choice Isa/Terry week as mentioned before because a lot of people would participate in that. That's probably what I would do because it would likely please the most people.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

got it, that makes sense. i'll see if anyone else offers any feedback as well.

again, to repeat, at this time, i am no long accepting cookbook recommendations for our next challenge.

i will create new discussion post on monday or tuesday with more details, instructions on voting, and links to vote online.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:08 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I reckon go for 6 challenges altogether. Start with an open Isa/Terry one because most people will have access to at least one book and then it gives times to prepare for the rest of the weeks then 6th challenge is the overall Isa/Terry winner from a separate poll.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

what daisychain & Limone say sounds good :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:07 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I only said it to maximise the amount of new books I will have to buy. hehehe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:12 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm still not sure if i will buy every book... but for the other ones I'msure I can find preview recipes somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:18 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yeah, I third (fourth?) the idea of a general Isa/Terry week and then a specific Isa/Terry book week.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

got it, but what about VEW? that has 12 recommendations, the most out of any cookbook title, i am assuming that it will be voted in as a challenge cookbook regardless which voting poll VEW is included in. (although i could be wrong!)

should i include VEW with the general cookbook title voting or put VEW with all the isa/terry books?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next