Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

cubed = stir-fry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:10 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Adam Crisis wrote:
I'll fight all you mushy scramble eaters right now!

Bring it, Crisis.

I'll eat some SCRAMBLE for energy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

almiratanner wrote:
cubed = stir-fry

preach it!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:23 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have continued to experiment with this and I have found this recipe using silken tofu and the addition of Mrs. Dash (pre-cooked veggies don't hurt either)to be excellent if you scramble it. I discovered this because I failed at omelette making I think my non-stick skillet is done for. It does take much longer to cook scrambled than what you might have been used to when making eggs in the past. Normally you'd be beating eggs to make a scramble so this works well.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/09/ve ... r-one.html

You can taste the cornstarch if you taste the batter but it does dissappear after cooking. I am going to try it with black salt to see if it perfects it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:59 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I really like the scrambled tofu with pumpkin recipe in 500 Vegan Recipes if you happen to own that. My other suggestion would be to add some ketchup or tomato paste to it, I think that really adds to it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:31 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I'm too hot and lazy to check if someone has already linked to this thread, but if they haven't, the OP should check it out tout de suite!

http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21601&hilit=tofu+scramble

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

My Three Tofu-Scramble Food Hacks:

1) Kala Namak, aka Black Salt. It provides that sulphurous, savoury eggy flavour. Find it at an Indian Spice Store. It can also be put to use in making the world's best egg's benedict: http://foodbattleofthesuperfriends.tumb ... thout-eggs

2) Miso. Makes for an excellently savoury base and keeps the tofu at the right level of moisture/binding.

3) Capers. All class, capers are.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:59 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Yes! Capers are classy! I like the puttanesca scramble on the ppk, though it's really it's own thing- not a very direct scrambled egg replacement but so yummy! Usually I'll just eat lunch-type food in the morning, but I've found that putting a basic tofu scram on toast and topping with some noochy cheese sauce (I use the recipe in Vegan Brunch) seems very breakfast-y to me when the mood strikes. When I have more time, I like to make biscuits and white bean gravy (with or without tempeh) with greens for a protein-packed brunch. If you don't like tofu scramble, there are other vegan breakfast foods to enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:38 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have a recipe that calls for Ume vinegar and it's such a different and interesting flavor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:16 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

superfriends wrote:
My Three Tofu-Scramble Food Hacks:

1) Kala Namak, aka Black Salt. It provides that sulphurous, savoury eggy flavour. Find it at an Indian Spice Store. It can also be put to use in making the world's best egg's benedict: http://foodbattleofthesuperfriends.tumb ... thout-eggs

2) Miso. Makes for an excellently savoury base and keeps the tofu at the right level of moisture/binding.

3) Capers. All class, capers are.

Miso huh? Do you have a recipe using miso in a tofu scramble? that sounds yum.

My fiance is going out of town for over a week soon, and I want to make some new scrambles for my dinners. (he is omni and thinks tofu scrambles are gross). I have a couple of ways I make mine, and they are great, but looking for some new stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

make it spicy! I feel like hot peppers with the garlic before you add the tofu makes it better than hot sauce at the end. but both work for me. I like carrot pieces in mine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I use the "tofu scramble revisited" recipe on PPK blog. It's the only one I have used and I really like it. Doesn't necessarily taste eggy but my paleo & mildly allergic to soy friend tried it and enjoyed it. I throw salsa on top.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:17 am 
Nailed to the V

I really like to throw a teaspoon of Ener-G egg replacement in the mix because it helps liquids solidify into a very realistic egg scramble texutre -- in fact, using crumbled medium pressed tofu, you could fool omnis into thinking they are eating a regular egg scramble.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:32 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I made a particularly spectacular one today with onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, spinach, and almost a whole cup of nooch. Seasonings were salt, white pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, dill, marjoram, and a craptonne of Frank's. 'Twas good!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:47 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

If it tastes like yellow tofu, I'd suggest checking the expiration date on your spices.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

LOL Joanna from YRR cubes it. :) so i either crumble/or cube
I find i just rub a nice healthy chunk of indian black salt, to get it all eggy, add my spices (my fav combo is mustard seeds and dijon), and woila!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:39 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Jonny Guitar wrote:
I really like to throw a teaspoon of Ener-G egg replacement in the mix because it helps liquids solidify into a very realistic egg scramble texutre -- in fact, using crumbled medium pressed tofu, you could fool omnis into thinking they are eating a regular egg scramble.

That's a good idea! I get it eggy only when I use a lot of water and dayia. But it is still not quite right. I'll have to try your tip.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Chicki wrote:
Jonny Guitar wrote:

That's a good idea! I get it eggy only when I use a lot of water and dayia. But it is still not quite right. I'll have to try your tip.

I second that sentiment!

My mom tried to make me a tofu scramble when I was 12 or so years old that was essentially slightly warmed cubed tofu and salsa. It was pretty much the grossest thing ever and scared me off tofu scrambles for years. Now I use the VWAV recipe except I add soymilk at the end to give it a kind of creamy, slightly under-cooked scrambled eggs feel.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

If you're not cube averse, a million years ago someone here (don't remember who) posted a recipe based on a dish at a restaurant they visited (don't remember where) for baked tofu scramble. I don't use that particular recipe anymore (or know where it is), I just mix the nutritional yeast and my favorite seasonings in a container. Cube the extra firm tofu (small) that's been drained and patted dry and put it in the container and mix to coat. I use enough of the seasoning mixture that there's a good coating on all sides of the cubes.

Then I spread them on parchment paper and bake them at some temperature. 400? I don't know. Something. Until they're done. Which is suuuuuper helpful, I know, but I usually poke at them with a fork and see if they look like something I'd want to eat. (They get darker, but the color they start off varies, so you know. I usually bake them until some of them are slightly crispy on the edges. Then it's a nice mix of chewy bits and soft bits which has nothing to do with eggs, but neither do I.) I check on them frequently. I know, I know, every time you open the oven door a fairy loses its wings.

Maybe someone else has done this before or remembers what I'm talking about and can help with times. And temps. And seasonings.

This has been the least helpful advice ever. You're welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

paperweight wrote:
If you're not cube averse, a million years ago someone here (don't remember who) posted a recipe based on a dish at a restaurant they visited (don't remember where) for baked tofu scramble. I don't use that particular recipe anymore (or know where it is), I just mix the nutritional yeast and my favorite seasonings in a container. Cube the extra firm tofu (small) that's been drained and patted dry and put it in the container and mix to coat. I use enough of the seasoning mixture that there's a good coating on all sides of the cubes.

Then I spread them on parchment paper and bake them at some temperature. 400? I don't know. Something. Until they're done. Which is suuuuuper helpful, I know, but I usually poke at them with a fork and see if they look like something I'd want to eat. (They get darker, but the color they start off varies, so you know. I usually bake them until some of them are slightly crispy on the edges. Then it's a nice mix of chewy bits and soft bits which has nothing to do with eggs, but neither do I.) I check on them frequently. I know, I know, every time you open the oven door a fairy loses its wings.

Maybe someone else has done this before or remembers what I'm talking about and can help with times. And temps. And seasonings.

This has been the least helpful advice ever. You're welcome.

This is a thoroughly entertaining post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That was Laser Ox's (I think?) Bouldin Creek-style scramble. I love that recipe! Shake and bake, y'all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:23 pm 
Dead by dawn

Pinko wrote:
That was Laser Ox's (I think?) Bouldin Creek-style scramble. I love that recipe! Shake and bake, y'all.

Um, recipe please? I can make the VWAV scramble (tweaked a little over the years) in my sleep and I love it. But yeah, I also super love Bouldin Creek's breakfast tacos. Yum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

Chicki wrote:
Jonny Guitar wrote:

It will need a few ounces of water because as soon as you add in the EnerG it wants to stick to the bottom so can just deglaze with some water (or wine or whatever) and that gives it the yum...thick tasty yum. I add the EnerG in when I throw in the soy/tamari and nooch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:20 am 
Flounceiad 2011

monkeytoes wrote:
Pinko wrote:

Um, recipe please? I can make the VWAV scramble (tweaked a little over the years) in my sleep and I love it. But yeah, I also super love Bouldin Creek's breakfast tacos. Yum.
I do a cubed/baked/mashed hybrid that always goes over well.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2009/12/peace-for-our-time-tofu-scramble.html