| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:56 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Vancouver
cubed = stir-fry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:10 pm 
Offline
A gift from the crasshole god.

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am
Posts: 2523
Adam Crisis wrote:
I'll fight all you mushy scramble eaters right now!


Bring it, Crisis.

I'll eat some SCRAMBLE for energy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:23 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 4128
Location: 5 mi east of philly
almiratanner wrote:
cubed = stir-fry

preach it!

_________________
I solved it for once and for all -- and for everyone -- by intentionally leaving behind some 9-lives burritos... ~Lorelei4mc
supercarrot.com, vegan groupony things, vegan coupons


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:23 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:09 pm
Posts: 196
I have continued to experiment with this and I have found this recipe using silken tofu and the addition of Mrs. Dash (pre-cooked veggies don't hurt either)to be excellent if you scramble it. I discovered this because I failed at omelette making I think my non-stick skillet is done for. It does take much longer to cook scrambled than what you might have been used to when making eggs in the past. Normally you'd be beating eggs to make a scramble so this works well.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/09/ve ... r-one.html


You can taste the cornstarch if you taste the batter but it does dissappear after cooking. I am going to try it with black salt to see if it perfects it.

_________________
"Evolution is a constant process"
If God hands you a literal lemon- keep your head up-
Build a Lemonade Stand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:59 am 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:16 am
Posts: 328
I really like the scrambled tofu with pumpkin recipe in 500 Vegan Recipes if you happen to own that. My other suggestion would be to add some ketchup or tomato paste to it, I think that really adds to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:31 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5251
Location: A New England
I'm too hot and lazy to check if someone has already linked to this thread, but if they haven't, the OP should check it out tout de suite!

http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21601&hilit=tofu+scramble

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:27 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:10 am
Posts: 6
Location: Montréal
My Three Tofu-Scramble Food Hacks:

1) Kala Namak, aka Black Salt. It provides that sulphurous, savoury eggy flavour. Find it at an Indian Spice Store. It can also be put to use in making the world's best egg's benedict: http://foodbattleofthesuperfriends.tumb ... thout-eggs

2) Miso. Makes for an excellently savoury base and keeps the tofu at the right level of moisture/binding.

3) Capers. All class, capers are.

_________________
--------------------------------------------
http://foodbattleofthesuperfriends.tumblr.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:59 am 
Offline
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:43 pm
Posts: 80
Location: Cleveland, OH
Yes! Capers are classy! I like the puttanesca scramble on the ppk, though it's really it's own thing- not a very direct scrambled egg replacement but so yummy! Usually I'll just eat lunch-type food in the morning, but I've found that putting a basic tofu scram on toast and topping with some noochy cheese sauce (I use the recipe in Vegan Brunch) seems very breakfast-y to me when the mood strikes. When I have more time, I like to make biscuits and white bean gravy (with or without tempeh) with greens for a protein-packed brunch. If you don't like tofu scramble, there are other vegan breakfast foods to enjoy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:38 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:09 pm
Posts: 199
Location: Memphis
I have a recipe that calls for Ume vinegar and it's such a different and interesting flavor.

_________________
Goodreads


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:16 pm 
Offline
Calls "cavemen" on that
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm
Posts: 2327
superfriends wrote:
My Three Tofu-Scramble Food Hacks:

1) Kala Namak, aka Black Salt. It provides that sulphurous, savoury eggy flavour. Find it at an Indian Spice Store. It can also be put to use in making the world's best egg's benedict: http://foodbattleofthesuperfriends.tumb ... thout-eggs

2) Miso. Makes for an excellently savoury base and keeps the tofu at the right level of moisture/binding.

3) Capers. All class, capers are.


Miso huh? Do you have a recipe using miso in a tofu scramble? that sounds yum.

My fiance is going out of town for over a week soon, and I want to make some new scrambles for my dinners. (he is omni and thinks tofu scrambles are gross). I have a couple of ways I make mine, and they are great, but looking for some new stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:24 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:58 pm
Posts: 543
Location: pdx
make it spicy! I feel like hot peppers with the garlic before you add the tofu makes it better than hot sauce at the end. but both work for me. I like carrot pieces in mine.

_________________
You know what would probably be a more effective ritual? Telling the person who you want to shut up, "You better not talk or we'll pound you." -Footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:37 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 3743
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
I use the "tofu scramble revisited" recipe on PPK blog. It's the only one I have used and I really like it. Doesn't necessarily taste eggy but my paleo & mildly allergic to soy friend tried it and enjoyed it. I throw salsa on top.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:17 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 am
Posts: 595
I really like to throw a teaspoon of Ener-G egg replacement in the mix because it helps liquids solidify into a very realistic egg scramble texutre -- in fact, using crumbled medium pressed tofu, you could fool omnis into thinking they are eating a regular egg scramble.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:32 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5251
Location: A New England
I made a particularly spectacular one today with onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, spinach, and almost a whole cup of nooch. Seasonings were salt, white pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, dill, marjoram, and a craptonne of Frank's. 'Twas good!

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:47 am 
Offline
Venomous Head of Veganism
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 8586
If it tastes like yellow tofu, I'd suggest checking the expiration date on your spices.

_________________
"You guys are a little bit fast to identify as not-mumbles. " ~ mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:15 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 am
Posts: 569
LOL Joanna from YRR cubes it. :) so i either crumble/or cube
I find i just rub a nice healthy chunk of indian black salt, to get it all eggy, add my spices (my fav combo is mustard seeds and dijon), and woila!

_________________
A Vegan Julie/Julia Project: This Cycle: Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats! http://veganlydelicious.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:39 pm 
Offline
Calls "cavemen" on that
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm
Posts: 2327
Jonny Guitar wrote:
I really like to throw a teaspoon of Ener-G egg replacement in the mix because it helps liquids solidify into a very realistic egg scramble texutre -- in fact, using crumbled medium pressed tofu, you could fool omnis into thinking they are eating a regular egg scramble.



That's a good idea! I get it eggy only when I use a lot of water and dayia. But it is still not quite right. I'll have to try your tip.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:39 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Kentucky
Chicki wrote:
Jonny Guitar wrote:
I really like to throw a teaspoon of Ener-G egg replacement in the mix because it helps liquids solidify into a very realistic egg scramble texutre -- in fact, using crumbled medium pressed tofu, you could fool omnis into thinking they are eating a regular egg scramble.



That's a good idea! I get it eggy only when I use a lot of water and dayia. But it is still not quite right. I'll have to try your tip.


I second that sentiment!

My mom tried to make me a tofu scramble when I was 12 or so years old that was essentially slightly warmed cubed tofu and salsa. It was pretty much the grossest thing ever and scared me off tofu scrambles for years. Now I use the VWAV recipe except I add soymilk at the end to give it a kind of creamy, slightly under-cooked scrambled eggs feel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 292
If you're not cube averse, a million years ago someone here (don't remember who) posted a recipe based on a dish at a restaurant they visited (don't remember where) for baked tofu scramble. I don't use that particular recipe anymore (or know where it is), I just mix the nutritional yeast and my favorite seasonings in a container. Cube the extra firm tofu (small) that's been drained and patted dry and put it in the container and mix to coat. I use enough of the seasoning mixture that there's a good coating on all sides of the cubes.

Then I spread them on parchment paper and bake them at some temperature. 400? I don't know. Something. Until they're done. Which is suuuuuper helpful, I know, but I usually poke at them with a fork and see if they look like something I'd want to eat. (They get darker, but the color they start off varies, so you know. I usually bake them until some of them are slightly crispy on the edges. Then it's a nice mix of chewy bits and soft bits which has nothing to do with eggs, but neither do I.) I check on them frequently. I know, I know, every time you open the oven door a fairy loses its wings.

Maybe someone else has done this before or remembers what I'm talking about and can help with times. And temps. And seasonings.

This has been the least helpful advice ever. You're welcome.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:19 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 3743
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
paperweight wrote:
If you're not cube averse, a million years ago someone here (don't remember who) posted a recipe based on a dish at a restaurant they visited (don't remember where) for baked tofu scramble. I don't use that particular recipe anymore (or know where it is), I just mix the nutritional yeast and my favorite seasonings in a container. Cube the extra firm tofu (small) that's been drained and patted dry and put it in the container and mix to coat. I use enough of the seasoning mixture that there's a good coating on all sides of the cubes.

Then I spread them on parchment paper and bake them at some temperature. 400? I don't know. Something. Until they're done. Which is suuuuuper helpful, I know, but I usually poke at them with a fork and see if they look like something I'd want to eat. (They get darker, but the color they start off varies, so you know. I usually bake them until some of them are slightly crispy on the edges. Then it's a nice mix of chewy bits and soft bits which has nothing to do with eggs, but neither do I.) I check on them frequently. I know, I know, every time you open the oven door a fairy loses its wings.

Maybe someone else has done this before or remembers what I'm talking about and can help with times. And temps. And seasonings.

This has been the least helpful advice ever. You're welcome.


This is a thoroughly entertaining post.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:09 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 pm
Posts: 2162
That was Laser Ox's (I think?) Bouldin Creek-style scramble. I love that recipe! Shake and bake, y'all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:23 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7709
Location: Seattle
Pinko wrote:
That was Laser Ox's (I think?) Bouldin Creek-style scramble. I love that recipe! Shake and bake, y'all.

Um, recipe please? I can make the VWAV scramble (tweaked a little over the years) in my sleep and I love it. But yeah, I also super love Bouldin Creek's breakfast tacos. Yum.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:14 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 am
Posts: 595
Chicki wrote:
Jonny Guitar wrote:
I really like to throw a teaspoon of Ener-G egg replacement in the mix because it helps liquids solidify into a very realistic egg scramble texutre -- in fact, using crumbled medium pressed tofu, you could fool omnis into thinking they are eating a regular egg scramble.



That's a good idea! I get it eggy only when I use a lot of water and dayia. But it is still not quite right. I'll have to try your tip.


It will need a few ounces of water because as soon as you add in the EnerG it wants to stick to the bottom so can just deglaze with some water (or wine or whatever) and that gives it the yum...thick tasty yum. I add the EnerG in when I throw in the soy/tamari and nooch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: scrambled tofu-how to make it taste good
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:20 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5251
Location: A New England
monkeytoes wrote:
Pinko wrote:
That was Laser Ox's (I think?) Bouldin Creek-style scramble. I love that recipe! Shake and bake, y'all.

Um, recipe please? I can make the VWAV scramble (tweaked a little over the years) in my sleep and I love it. But yeah, I also super love Bouldin Creek's breakfast tacos. Yum.
I do a cubed/baked/mashed hybrid that always goes over well.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2009/12/peace-for-our-time-tofu-scramble.html

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer