| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP Google Reader
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement reader that's also free?

Post subject: Re: RIP Google Reader
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Noooooo! Ack, I love google reader. Will stay tuned for replacement ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:06 am 
A Bad Person

Many are recommending Feedly.com as a replacement, and Feedly is saying they're making a Google Reader clone based on Google's APIs. Unfortunately, I'm on IE8 at work, and Feedly apparently does not like that so it's currently completely unusable for me. If I find something good, I'll post about it. I'm unhappy to see Google Reader go. It's one of my daily reads, if only so my feed doesn't get completely clogged up from not reading everything.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:07 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Me too. Ugh. I hate adapting to something else when the thing I use just works fine for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:10 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I will check out Feedly- thanks Brian!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:11 am 
A Bad Person

I'm not opposed to new things when they're better than what I have, but going from one stop at Google Reader to 37 stops at all of those sites I'm subscribed to forking sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

brian wrote:
I'm not opposed to new things when they're better than what I have, but going from one stop at Google Reader to 37 stops at all of those sites I'm subscribed to forking sucks.

yeah, that's the thing. I want one page with all my stuff like with iGoogle, on the Google page it suggests using the Chrome store as a replacement. But the problem with that is, we use Google at work now so I usually sign into my work Google on Chrome, and my personal Google on Firefox. I know you can sign in on more than one account in one browser, but I don't like all this mixing of work and personal stuff.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What I liked was the ability to group the blogs so I could focus on a topic at a time. I will never, ever, ever be able to visit all of the library/book review sites in my feed. Ever.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm also upset about Google Reader. I checked out Feedly though and it let me just sync up my Google Reader account and imported everything for me. It even kept my blogs in their lists (e.g., food blogs, crafting blogs, etc.). I haven't used it much so far other than importing my feeds.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Quarantined wrote:
brian wrote:

yeah, that's the thing. I want one page with all my stuff like with iGoogle, on the Google page it suggests using the Chrome store as a replacement. But the problem with that is, we use Google at work now so I usually sign into my work Google on Chrome, and my personal Google on Firefox. I know you can sign in on more than one account in one browser, but I don't like all this mixing of work and personal stuff.

I've been doing work in the main window and personal in an 'incognito' window. I think your workplace can still see where you go, but you don't leave any trace behind or something? It says when you pull up the incognito window, but tl;dr.

I'm also on the look out for a new RSS Feed whosits. I have the Reeder app on my phone (not that I read blogs on my phone really), but they only have an app for MAC. I can't remember at the moment what app I have on my iPad, but I might see if they do a browser edition.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
brian wrote:

I've been doing work in the main window and personal in an 'incognito' window. I think your workplace can still see where you go, but you don't leave any trace behind or something? It says when you pull up the incognito window, but tl;dr.

hmm, I may try that. I just hate the idea of having them both in the same browser for some reason. I'm being a stubborn old goat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Friends have recommended NewsBlur.

I don't read any blogs, because I don't know how to read.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:20 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

i can't believe reader is on the same level as some of these other products (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/ ... aning.html).
feedly looks a little promising but we shall see.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm sad that it's getting discontinued :( Thanks for the new suggestions people have posted

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've been using Feedly for a while and love it! I'm so glad to find out everything will seamlessly transition.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:08 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

moving greader content to feedly was seamless and straightforward.
but i'll probably stick with with greader until the bitter end.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:19 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

mandycoot wrote:
I've been using Feedly for a while and love it! I'm so glad to find out everything will seamlessly transition.

How in the world does one add a new blog using Feedly? I tried adding the feed url into the space for it (upper right hand of the page) and then what? If I click the magnifying glass nothing happens, and I can't see any other thing to click.

Also, since Feedly is only taking the feeds from our existing G-Reader accounts, and changes made in Feedly (marking read, deleting, etc) will also be made to the G-Reader account, what happens when G-Reader goes away?

For now, I went back to re-set my old Bloglines account and import my G-Reader feeds, but the formatting screws up now and then on the page and I can't add anything using the RSS Subscribe button in Firefox - it only opens the Bloglines default page telling me to open an account, so I have to do it using the green ADD button. The Firefox plug-in they suggest doesn't add to Bloglines but to some *other* newsreader site. (sigh) I miss the old Bloglines format and will *really* miss G-Reader!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i need to set aside some time to actually research some of this crepe, but the crux of my problem at the moment is thus:

i don't actually use google reader *directly* much at all (almost never, i'd say). i use reeder, my favoritest wonderful app, on my iPhone, my iPad, and my mac, every day, all day... but it *syncs* with google reader to get my stuff. i'm hoping they'll find a new way to sync with something else instead (feedly?) but i guess in the meantime i just have to wait around with fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:52 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

veggiesue wrote:
mandycoot wrote:

How in the world does one add a new blog using Feedly? I tried adding the feed url into the space for it (upper right hand of the page) and then what? If I click the magnifying glass nothing happens, and I can't see any other thing to click.

Also, since Feedly is only taking the feeds from our existing G-Reader accounts, and changes made in Feedly (marking read, deleting, etc) will also be made to the G-Reader account, what happens when G-Reader goes away?

For now, I went back to re-set my old Bloglines account and import my G-Reader feeds, but the formatting screws up now and then on the page and I can't add anything using the RSS Subscribe button in Firefox - it only opens the Bloglines default page telling me to open an account, so I have to do it using the green ADD button. The Firefox plug-in they suggest doesn't add to Bloglines but to some *other* newsreader site. (sigh) I miss the old Bloglines format and will *really* miss G-Reader!

Check out this post from Feedly! http://blog.feedly.com/2013/03/14/google-reader/

From what I understand, Feedly is currently built on Google Reader but they are making it a standalone thingy so when Google Reader dies everything will transition on its own. Up to this point I've done all my feed management in GReader so I'm not sure how it all works in Feedly yet, but that link might help out with that. Sorry for such a vague answer!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:16 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

So far I like Feedly in my browser, but the app confuses me a lot.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:46 pm 

Has anyone tried BlogLovin? http://www.bloglovin.com/ I remember some fashion blogs having badges on their site to follow on BlogLovin', but I've never used it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:57 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Feedly seems ok, but I don't want to download the plugin on my work computer. I'm trying The Old Reader, but they said it could take a while to import all my subscriptions, so I'll have to wait and see on that one.

Here's something that talks about a few of the options: http://lifehacker.com/5990456/google-re ... t=58258177

Oh, and what I really like is the Google Reader "Next" button that you can put on your bookmarks bar- do any of the other apps have something like that?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ndpittman wrote:
Has anyone tried BlogLovin? http://www.bloglovin.com/ I remember some fashion blogs having badges on their site to follow on BlogLovin', but I've never used it.

I switched to blog lovin a while back and I like it way better than reader. You can easily put blogs in groups and I like how it looks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:36 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just imported everything into Bloglovin and it hasn't kept any of my groups or my starred posts. Does anyone know if there's a way to do that or am I just going to have to suck it up?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:53 am 

I signed up for feedly, but I don't see an option to just use it in the browser--does it have to be a chrome add on? I will check the FAQs on the site, but that irritates me, because I can't get it to work in my incognito window, and I can't have my blog tab in my regular work window! Obviously! Bloglovin does seem to work in the incognito window though. I'm going to try both and see which I prefer.