| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:17 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Efcliz wrote:
Hahaha, I had leftover butecha for breakfast the last 2 days! (see the 'best thing about your day' thread!).

I think I need to make that this week. It is seriously good!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Can someone help me out please. I went out and bought everything I need for The Great Big Vegetable Couscous on page 134. The only thing I don't have (and I searched at three differnet grocery stores) is the chickpea flour. Is there anything I can swap it out for (maybe cornmeal?) or can I just leave it out completely and just have it not be as thick? Also has anyone tried this yet? How was it? Any tips?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:47 am 
Tofu Pup

I haven't tried the couscous yet. I would personally leave the flour out though

I'm making the onion pickles, and tonight I will make "Preserved lemon braised tempeh with green olives" [p.267]. Sounds delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

Is it possible to edit a post?
I've made the lemon braised tempeh and it was really yummy! It was actually my first time eating tempeh and my omnivore relatives really enjoyed it as well (they said it has the texture of meat)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think in some sections you can. I'm not sure though. I think I have seen the edit icon before but I can't be sure.

I'm excited that I might have a working oven in the next week. I think I need to make that cheesecake. That is so on my to-do list.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm pretty sure that there is a 5 minute window for post editing and that you can't edit your post after that. It started in order to make people really think about what they were saying before they posted it, because I guess people were going back days after they posted and editing and then the whole context of threads and conversations were lost. So the answer is, yes, but only for a little while.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oooooh! That makes sense. I always think..... oh shoot I misspelled something or else I phrased something badly or else remembered some information and hate the thought of double posting. I hate when I end up double posting. It upsets me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:03 am 
WELFARIST!

I have the tofu from the chipotle tofu cemita sandwiches in the oven! I didn't have any beer on hand, so I subbed veg broth. So it won't be the same, but whatever. Anyway, I'm not making the actual sandwich, so I don't think it will matter in the end. Also, another huge thank you for that index PDF, because it helped me figure out what to do with my tofu!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ok, that chipotle tofu is so tasty, but hella spicy! Whew! I wonder how different the beer would have made it taste.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:20 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I had some yogurt to use up so I made the naan, yum!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

For chickpea flour, look in the International/India aisle for besan or gram flour. Most international markets will have it too. Lots of stores do stock it, just often in strange places.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:39 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

lavawitch wrote:
For chickpea flour, look in the International/India aisle for besan or gram flour. Most international markets will have it too. Lots of stores do stock it, just often in strange places.

Thank-you, we do have some pretty well stocked grocery stores that carry alot of ethnic foods, especially Indian foods. I could have passed by it while looking for it and never would have known it was called besan or gram flour. In fact now that you mention it it does sound familiar, I will look again.

However I came here to post that I made The Great Big Vegetable Couscous tonight. I just used regular flour instead of the chickpea flour. Other than that I made it exactly as written. WOW! This was absolutley amazing! My DH was very skeptical since he "claimed" not to be a huge fan of chickpeas or couscous. He went back for seconds. It's a 10 out of 10, so flavorful and yummy. Will definatley make again. Thankfully it made aot o I can eat leftovers tomarrow.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Has anyone had success with the injera-style crepes? I tried them tonight and it was an utter failure. I used buckwheat flour, though, because I didn't have teff, so maybe that was it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:43 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Mine failed, too. I ended up making some last-minute rice : /

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:43 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The original injera creeps that I tested worked brilliantly but the recipe changed. It had yoghurt in it before. I kept it so I will ask Terry if I can post it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

molly wrote:
Has anyone had success with the injera-style crepes? I tried them tonight and it was an utter failure. I used buckwheat flour, though, because I didn't have teff, so maybe that was it?

My first couple crepes were a little weird, having never made crepes before, but the rest of that batch and my second batch were great. They ended up a little crisp around the edges, which may have just been my pan or technique or whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:
molly wrote:

My first couple crepes were a little weird, having never made crepes before, but the rest of that batch and my second batch were great. They ended up a little crisp around the edges, which may have just been my pan or technique or whatever.

Did you follow her instructions about "baking" them rather than flipping like regular crepes? I tried it both ways and they never became un-gloppy. The batter would sit on the pan and then big cracks and holes would open up and it seemed to be drying out but then when we tried to take it out, everything was still liquid. It was so weird. After a few attempts I tossed the batter and made our standard crepe recipe instead, which worked fine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

molly wrote:
creep wrote:
molly wrote:

Did you follow her instructions about "baking" them rather than flipping like regular crepes? I tried it both ways and they never became un-gloppy. The batter would sit on the pan and then big cracks and holes would open up and it seemed to be drying out but then when we tried to take it out, everything was still liquid. It was so weird. After a few attempts I tossed the batter and made our standard crepe recipe instead, which worked fine.

Yeah, I spread them on the pan as quickly as possible and covered them immediately. I may have let them go longer than she says though, not sure. I just waited until they were solid enough to flip.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:33 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the gyros today, with the seitan coriander cutlets. I liked them, but I still prefer the gyros in American Vegan Kitchen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Tonight I've made the Kimchi and tofu manju dumplings (p.181) and Banana-stuffed paratha (p.191), and both were very very good!
It was actually one of the best meal I had in weeks!
I didn't have enough dough for the dumplings, so I will eat the kimchi-tofu leftovers with rice tomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:09 pm 

Love Child wrote:
I made the gyros today, with the seitan coriander cutlets. I liked them, but I still prefer the gyros in American Vegan Kitchen.

Snap!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:09 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Efcliz wrote:
I made the mapo tofu tonight, fresh shitake option, and loved it. I just used one pack of Mori Nu, so less than half the recipe, and halved everything else except I had a few extra mushrooms, and it was fantastic. Served with brown rice and fried Pak choi. There's an aubergine dish in there with very similar ingredients so I'm going to try that next time.

I am in love with this recipe! It might be the best ma po tofu I've ever had. I had it done very well once in a very good Sezuan restaurant in China town, and I think this was at least as good as that. And it is very quick and easy to make. I highly recommend adding a little freshly ground Sezuan pepper at the end of cooking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:09 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Last night I made the Greek Village Salad with the Cashew Feta and the Lemony Dill Rice. Both were very good, although I think the cashew feta would maybe have been better and more tender if I would have paid attention and started soaking the cashews the night before instead of only doing it for two hours. I also only used half of a large red onion, since I started looking at it and if I had added in the whole thing, it would have completely dominated the salad. Maybe my large onion was too large... it was about the size of a grapefruit! In any case, the flavors were really awesome and I'd definitely make it again. The rice was really simple and had great flavor and I could see myself making this as a side dish for almost anything. I used a vegan chicken flavored broth powder for the rice, in case anyone was wondering.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Efcliz wrote:
Love Child wrote:

Snap!

Is that good or bad?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:47 am 

That's good! I've noticed we tend to like a lot of the same recipes from books, our taste buds must be similar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 41  Next