| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kids and tech (ipad especially) Atlantic article
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... on/309250/

don't think i've seen this quoted yet (if it has been, sorry, please dump this thread). it's mostly focused on under-two type kids, but interesting anyway.

Post subject: Re: kids and tech (ipad especially) Atlantic article
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for sharing this. I'm still trying to figure out how much screen time we'll allow for our son and whether different types of programs or games are "better" than others. I definitely have the fear that she describes that my kid's brain will turn to mush if I let him watch too much TV or play too many video games. On the other hand, I think the author is certainly right that screen time is not a zero sum game; my husband and I can't possibly play with our son 100% of the time that he's awake (unless we hit the lottery and hire a cook, bookkeeper and maid).

One of my co-workers and I were just discussing this article and he suggested that I allow Finny unlimited access to an iPad, have a second kid that I allow no access and see who turns out better in 20 years. Since no parent would actually try something like that, I don't see how we'll ever have a definitive answer to the screen-time question.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

God, Atlantic articles. This is why I stopped subscribing. So many wasted words. Even pre-baby I couldn't finish a magazine before the next one showed up. Did not get past the first page because I have a JOB and a TODDLER - who I let play with the iPad right after she got up this morning. Am I right that the tl:dr is that nobody knows anything?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:31 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Ha, Ariann, no kidding!! i was trying to race through the article before I went out the door and those 4 pages could have easily been 2!!!
yes, the tl;dr is that nobody knows diddleshit and that we are all a bunch of old fogies so shut up and let the kids take over the world, you luddite.
they intimated that the "zombie brainwaves" research was no longer valid but didn't seem to have any proof for that (although in my haste i may have missed something)