| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:14 am 
Semen Strong

What a great story! Its so good to hear about other families who co-sleep and how they transition. Go Silas!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Go Silas! That's so great that he asked on his own.

Miles is about 22 months and is getting quite tall for his crib. Not for sleeping in it but when he stands he could easily get a leg up on the top of the railing and get himself out if he wanted to. I didn't think he realized he could do this until today my husband "claims" he saw him trying. (I'm not sure if I believe him) :) When Reno was around the same age we had to put her into a regular bed but she was more mature and could be part of the bed buying process and understood what was going on. For Miles we would just take the front of the crib off and put up a little railing to keep him from falling out. Ideally I'd like to just put a mattress on the floor. Anyway...I don't want him out of his crib! It just going to fork things up sleepwise for naps and nighttime. Now we put him in the crib. He complains for less then 2 minutes and then sleeps. Its perfect.

How do I keep him in the crib longer?! My husband is against putting one of those mesh tents on top of it. (fire hazard) Should I let him take naps in Reno's bed to see?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Go Silas!

Jenna, I'm interested in seeing what you decide. Freya is so freaking tall that I don't know how long we're going to be able to keep her in a crib. She's only just now working out how to climb on the sofa/chairs, etc., which has a similar movement.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't know if this is a good idea or not - but I read in a book that you can prevent kids from being able to swing their leg up and over the crib railing by altering their PJ's. So one of those little long-legged unitard things and you sew a triangle in between the legs - a big wide one so they can walk and move around easily, but can't separate the the legs far enough to swing them over the crib rail. It looked like a good idea to me, but I never tried it in real life :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Operation three-sided crib is going really well for us, but Walter is a bit older (27 months), and generally content to stay put. I do close his bedroom door so he's trapped in there (the room is completely and totally childproofed). I wouldn't feel safe if he could wander the house while I am asleep. The first night he banged at the door for ten minutes, my husband put him back in the bed and closed the door, and he stayed in the bed all night. We've been lucky; this transition has been so much easier than I expected.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Reno was perfect with transitioning from a crib to a proper bed. She was about 23 months old but completely got what was going on.

annasrobbie...i thought of trying something like that!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:09 pm 
Semen Strong

If anyone is looking for a good use for an old crib....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:27 pm 
Chip Strong

We still haven't moved Ada to her own room but really need to get on it (since we only have +-11 weeks over here until new baby). She naps in bed with me and sleeps in the crib at night (we move her after she falls asleep in the bed with one of us laying down with her). We were going to do it last weekend but then I thought maybe we should just get her a bed instead of moving the crib to her room. I think that might be easier because then we could still lay down with her until she falls asleep. I'm just worried about her getting up before we do since she can sometimes open doors by herself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:34 pm 

For those who do one nap/day, when do your kids wake up in the a.m. and then go to sleep? F slept until 7 this morning (that has happened exactly once before, when she was horribly sick). So, we tried a one nap day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:35 pm 

That's what we're planning to do with Inez, too, sashi (twin bed so I can lay down with her). Could you put some kind of child proofing thing on the door on her side so she can't get out of the room if she wakes up before you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:14 pm 
Chip Strong

Yeah that might be a good idea Pinko. We also need to make sure the room is super childproofed. I'm going to try to order a bed tonight! What's funny is we'll probably have to buy a baby monitor for the first time now. I still need the white noise machine to sleep (snoring husband) so we'd never hear her if she did wake up in the middle of the night.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

refinnej wrote:
For those who do one nap/day, when do your kids wake up in the a.m. and then go to sleep? F slept until 7 this morning (that has happened exactly once before, when she was horribly sick). So, we tried a one nap day.

Miles wakes up anytime between 7-8. Takes a nap around noon-3 or 1-4 depending on when he falls asleep and then is always in bed by 9. We try to get both kids to bed by 8-8:30 but you know...9 is good too! Reno was the same when she was still napping.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:50 am 
Semen Strong

A three hour nap?! Teach me your ways oh wise one! If he isn't tired, do you put him in his crib for quiet time, or does he just magically doze off?

If L napped for 3 hours, I think I'd see unicorns and rainbows everywhere and cartoon birds would be braiding my hair....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:35 am 
Chip Strong

Ada usually wakes up 7 something ( sometimes earlier or once in awhile after 8 if she was up late) then she naps in the middle of the day for an average of two hours. Then we start getting her ready for bed around 7:30. So yesterday she woke up 7:10, napped 1-3, but didn't actually fall asleep until 9.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:49 am 

Lately Inez wakes up around 7:30 or 8:00 and then goes down around 2:00 for a couple hours. She falls asleep around 9:00. (Or 10:00. Ugh.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 am 
Semen Strong

This is so helpful. L wakes up at 7 and either doesn't nap or naps for 30 mins to an hour, and then is tired and cranky starting at 7, and finally goes to bed after watching videos at 8 or 9. I think I am going to have to cold turkey the videos, as B agreed to let her watch 3, but doesn't want to deal with her meltdown when he stops them, but it can't be good for her sleep....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:13 am 
***LIES!!!***

Malka wakes up anytime between 7:30 and 9am, naps for 1.5-2.5 hours in the afternoon - time depends on when she gets tired/when she woke up/if she's out doing something fun, and falls asleep anytime between 9 and 11pm (usually). Lately when she's been at daycare and hasn't really napped (she goes to drop in daycare when my husband works, they don't have a nap schedule, and they usually can't get her to nap there), she'll fall asleep on the car ride home and be in bed by 7. That might translate into all night sleep or might mean she's up in two hours ready to party.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:27 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

so interesting how the range of sleep kids need seems to be!
Dahlia sleeps a lot, and always has. AT almost 4yrs old she gets up between 8:30-9, naps from 2:45 to 4:30ish and bedtime is around 9:30. However, the last months have been an annoying routine of putting her to bed at 9:30 and then her coming out to pee like twice before 11pm, super annoying but at least she doesn't wake me up to go with her to the bathroom in the middle of the night anymore!
Sierra just doesn't seem to need as much sleep. She will be awake in our bed, nursing nonstop, from anytime around 7am on but if I'm able to sleep through it she'll often fall back asleep or just be content until 8:30. Then she naps from 1:30 - 4:30, and bedtime's around 9. But she seems to be awake a lot in the middle of the night and I sometimes question the actual quality of her sleep.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:02 pm 

OI, the move to one nap/day is so hard. Yesterday, poor bear was exhausted about 7:40 as we were putting her to bed (usually lights out at 8/just past and then she's nursing, etc. for awhile after that). She slept a decent nap from 12 -130ish, but she was really running on fumes during dinner. She was a little tired (not too bad) about ten past 11, but I knew there was no way she could get up from a nap at 1iish and make it until 7, so we played a bit more, took a long time in the bathroom, read stories and stalled for awhile.

Today, up at 5ish again and nursed back to sleep (same as yesterday), but then up about 6:20 for the day. Happy as a clam, but slightly weary and happy to nap at 9. Nap again at 3:00 (should've been a bit earlier), for an hour or so. No fussing and off to sleep by 8:30ish. Very happy camper. Think we're just not going to see the one nap days really until she sorts out her night sleeping. She's a lot better, about half (maybe?) the nights are through from 830-5ish, or maybe one short waking. The other half still troublesome, but down to 3-4 wakings versus 8 or so.

Getting very good at putting herself to sleep, which is a new thing...no more rocking, etc. Whoa.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:06 pm 
Chip Strong

For those of you that used sleep sacks, when did you stop using them? Ada still sleeps at night in one. But if we switch her to her own bed I'm wondering if she still needs it. Or if we need to get a blanket right away. She doesn't seem to want anything to do with a blanket being on her when she naps in bed with me. And what about a pillow?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:37 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

sashi wrote:
For those of you that used sleep sacks, when did you stop using them? Ada still sleeps at night in one. But if we switch her to her own bed I'm wondering if she still needs it. Or if we need to get a blanket right away. She doesn't seem to want anything to do with a blanket being on her when she naps in bed with me. And what about a pillow?

Still in sleep sack at 13 months.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:41 am 
***LIES!!!***

We stopped using sleep sacks pretty early on because they got too hot when she was between us. Malka now sleeps wearing just a diaper, on her own, with a blanket and pillow, at 18 months.

Daycare will be the death of us. Yesterday was the second day in a row of no nap, meaning she napped on the way home (this time my husband did not let her stay asleep), and then she was hyper and bouncing off the walls still at 11 when I got home from work. I finally got her down at about 11:30, but there was a lot of crying and screaming first.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Question for you all - we've co-slept with our eight month old since he was born. Now that he's been crawling for a while, it no longer makes sense to put him to bed in our room, because if he wakes, he just looks around for us and tries to crawl out of the room. (He can't, but then he just cries because he's stuck.)

We've got a crib in the kids' room, where we plan for the boys to eventually share. We want to start putting him to bed in the crib, and if he wakes during the night/super early morning, bring him to ours. But we don't want him to wake his brother all the time. He also is used to nursing to sleep. Should we move the crib into our room for a while? What's the best way to get a baby to stop nursing to sleep? If possible, I am hoping to get my partner more involved with bedtimes. I always have to put the baby to bed, and I could really use a night off every once in a while! Any advice would be so appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:22 pm 
Semen Strong

Second night getting her down with no videos! It actually works better - she had been drawing out bedtime to over an hour with one more, one more, and when we tried to limit to 3, it was just not working. So we went cold-tofurkey and just hung out with us. She asks, and we sing to her instead, and she can only tolerate a bit of that and then falls asleep out of self-defense :)

I still nurse L to sleep, but one of my friends (who cosleeps) has had success in nightweaning saying 'couch is for boobies' ie no boobies in bed, she snuggles her daughter instead. Her daughter is 17m and apparently it was not traumatic. They went from nursing every 2-3 hours to getting a full night in just over a week. Her daughter knew she could have milk, it would just need to be on the couch and apparently decided she would rather do without than move :)

Last edited by Tofulish on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tofulish wrote:
When did you stop nursing your toddlers to sleep? I love it and am not ready to stop, but it would be nice to have an option for B to put her to sleep without me if needed

I dunno. I am looking forward to stopping. He usually nurses with me prior to bed, but occasionally he gets a bottle from dad. I don't think Carlos is ready yet, but I am not sure how to help him there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next