| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eye Lid Rash
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:56 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

So my lids became puffy at the lash line a few weeks or more ago. Then it calmed down but now the area is dry and flaky. The only thing that has changed is a new mascara which now I have replaced. I have been dabbing aragan oil on the dry area at night...

I washed all my bedding and the boyfriend is changing the air filters since we have the heater on and my eyes get itchy at night.

Besides going to the doctor (which I will do if it is not better in a week) what can I do? I am in the house for the next few days so no makeup and I am keeping my hands off the area!

Post subject: Re: Eye Lid Rash
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:53 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Do you take any allergy meds? I used to get really bad allergic reactions on my eye lids, but they were never flaky, I would wake up with red and swollen eye lids. I washed bed sheets, would wash my eyes with saline solution/fake tears but what really helped was seeing an allergist and getting on some allergy meds. He also gave me specific eye drops with anti-histamines in them to quell any swelling and reactions.

Do you live in forced-hot air? That's supposed to be really bad for allergies, I have been told by numerous allergists that I cannot live in a forced-hot air building because it will only further exacerbate my already terrible allergies.

Hope that helps, good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Have you ever had eczema? My brother has it and one of the most stubborn places for him was on his eyelids which would look flaky, red and puffy and itch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I had the same thing happen a while back. It was almost like a sty, but then, like yours, it turned dry and flaky. Mine was definitely an allergic reaction because I eventually used a makeup remover that also had the offending ingredient and my whole eye area was swollen and red. I can tell you my allergy and you can check for it...but if normal dish soap (including Mrs. Meyers and seventh generation) doesn't bother you, it may not be the same, but it's worth a shot. It's in all sorts of products, shampoos and conditioners included. In my case, if I use handsoap or something containing the offending ingredient, I wind up having to use steroid cream to make the irritation go away.

My allergy is methylchloroisothiazolinone.Sometimes it's spelled a little differently, but it's nasty stuff if you have/develop an allergy!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

have you heard of blepharitis? that's basically when the mites/cooties that live on everyone's eyelashes get a bit out of control and can cause eye irritation at the lash line. if the blepharitis gets bad enough in can cause irritation inside the lower eye lids and at the corners of the eye......

if it's still bothering you, you might want to see an eye doc or allergist

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:26 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

bekki wrote:
I had the same thing happen a while back. It was almost like a sty, but then, like yours, it turned dry and flaky. Mine was definitely an allergic reaction because I eventually used a makeup remover that also had the offending ingredient and my whole eye area was swollen and red. I can tell you my allergy and you can check for it...but if normal dish soap (including Mrs. Meyers and seventh generation) doesn't bother you, it may not be the same, but it's worth a shot.

I am only allergic to Mrs. Meyers dish soap. Whenever I used it to wash my dishes I became ill with a flu like feeling in my stomach. Odd huh?

I do not have the scabby things that come with blepharitis!

I have been using the same makeup brands on my eyes. The only thing that I switched was mascara, so I switched back. I even bought new eyeliner.

The rash goes away, then comes back. I am thinking it is eczema. I use a cream on my lid for inflamed/rashy baby skin and it helps. I might try taking my eye makeup off with baby shampoo to help the sensitive area...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:11 pm 
Chip Strong

Be sure you do your homework on what products safe to put near your eyes. If you haven't seen a healthcare provider yet and the problem is persistent, it would be a good idea to get it checked out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:45 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I do not have insurance and I am not sure if a trip to ER is worth it at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

I am resurrecting this as I am having this problem too... again. It's not so much my lash line, but I have dry and flaky skin all around the inside corner of my eyes - like right on my eyelid and right below my eye. I used to get this when I was younger too - mostly right on the lids - and thought it was related to the cold weather (I grew up in New England) but now that it's right around where I put concealer/foundation I'm sure that's making things worse.

I don't think I'm allergic to the makeup since I've been using this kind for a few months with no problem. Same with face wash and moisturizer. I do have a history of very dry skin and exzema though. Could this be exzema around my eyes, even though it's more flaky than red? Just the sudden re-emergence of cold weather? Maybe it's all of those things. I know I should stop wearing makeup for a few days but...... I'm a vain New Yorker with a retail job. I feel naked without some concealer, at least.

I'm thinking about seeing a dermatologist but I would hate to put some kind of steroid cream on my face. Anyone else have similar troubles and found a natural way to treat it? What did you end up doing, missmuffcake? Send me your natural dry-face cures, PPK!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This might be interesting to read.......
http://www.juliehasson.com/2012/09/crazy-for-coconuts/

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I get very bad exzema on my eyelids and on my face near my eyes. Sometimes it's extremely red but just as often it is just incredibly flakey. When I went to Florida in Januarymy skin went a little weird and when I got home to Canada it went nuts! My entire neck became this scaley, bumpy mess that I slowly exfoliates away. I tend to get bad exzema in January/February when my skin can't take the dry air anymore.

I've read coconut oil is good for it, other people have success with olive oil.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:42 am 
Saggy Butt

Whoa, what a coincidence, I just impulse-bought some organic coconut oil the last time I was at Trader Joe's! I'm totally gonna try this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:21 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I ended up doing ACV diluted with water to help the itch and a Derma-E cream, it cleared it up in a few weeks with no other problems!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:53 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have an eyelid rash--weird to see this thread. I've been using non-petroleum vaseline (Live Clean brand - their baby line). The Vaseline seemed to help and cleared it up. I think a Yves Rocher eye cream caused mine, but can't be entirely sure. I love Yves Rocher body care stuff, but their face stuff never agrees with me. The eye cream was free though so I felt compelled to use it--and now look what happened!