| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your Dubious Claim to Not-Quite-Fame
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:06 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

This is super unrelated, but since we're talking about my high school i just googled it and found it has a yelp review. I would have given them 5 stars for canceling a pep rally! http://www.yelp.com/biz/clairemont-high ... -san-diego

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:06 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

This is super unrelated, but since we're talking about my high school i just googled it and found it has a yelp review. I would have given them 5 stars for canceling a pep rally! http://www.yelp.com/biz/clairemont-high ... -san-diego

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

monkeytoes wrote:
Ooh, a high school related one: my dad's high school was the very beautiful school used for the exterior shots in 10 Things I Hate About You. That's Not-Quite-Fame right there.

Ooh! My bff and a bunch of other people I went to high school with were extras in 10 Things.

Last edited by Pinko on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:09 pm 
WRETCHED

Someone gave my high school 1 star on Yelp! It wasn't a detailed review though so couldn't tell what the reason was for the review.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:19 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

when my friend and i saw nine inch nails and david bowie at great woods, we climbed under a hole in the fence after the show and managed to get under one of the tour buses, but then the engine started up, so we crawled back out. i know it sounds uneventful overall, but the important thing is that it is possible that i have been under david bowie or trent reznor, or maybe both.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have the same initials as Isa.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't believe I forgot my totally morbid one! My grandfather used to manage the Snowtown bank, which is super famous in Australia (and I guess other places since the movie about it came out) for being the place where all these bodies were found in barrels of acid in the late 90s. He died like 15 years before the murdering happened, and the bank had been abandoned by then, but people are still always super impressed when I get to respond to their 'hurrr durrr your dad was from Snowtown, is he a murderer?' questions with that one.

Also, one time I baked for Cesar Chavez's grandson. He came to talk to an activist group that my friend managed, and I made vegan mint chocolate cupcakes for it. He came and talked to me afterwards about how good they were, but I remember that the consistency of the frosting was a bit off so he was probably just being polite.

Boyfriend once displeased the Queen. She was visiting our town a couple of years ago, and her plane landed a few minutes before my flight returning from a work trip. Boyfriend was driving to the airport to pick me up, and he was stopped to let the Queen's procession or whatever go past. They were just leaving the airport so they were still driving pretty slowly, and he made a face at the Queen and she frowned at him. Then we went to Costco and bought bagels. It was a good day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:47 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

acr wrote:
when my friend and i saw nine inch nails and david bowie at great woods, we climbed under a hole in the fence after the show and managed to get under one of the tour buses, but then the engine started up, so we crawled back out. i know it sounds uneventful overall, but the important thing is that it is possible that i have been under david bowie or trent reznor, or maybe both.

I guess then its maybe time for me to mention that the foster-mom of one of my exes dated David Bowie back in the 70s.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

I dated the drummer of this band and this song is about me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m4GtyjeYWM

John Stevens from season like 4ish of American Idol (the redhead who sang crooner style like frank sinatra) went to the Christmas Formal with one of the girls in my close circle of friends in high school.

I cashed out several NHL hockey players (buffalo sabres) at the grocery store i work at.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:30 pm 
Huffs Nooch

LisaPunk wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:
Quote:
dont make me bust out my list of indie rock stars im "friends" (cough cough read as friendly acquaintances) with!!!

do it!

Ok these are my not very famous acquaintances! (I mean best friends!!!)

Ill give a dollah to anyone who knows who they are ;-)

The one I know the best and who knows who I am is Tanya Donelly. She was in Throwing Muses, the Breeders, Belly, and has solo stuff. Belly was pretty famous in the early 90s during the “alt-rock” craze. Anyone remember the song Feed the Tree? One of my good friends who I normally go to shows with in Boston is really good friends with her and is in charge of her website and social media stuff. So I can officially say Tanya knows who I am and I am friendly with her. She gave me a wedding gift because she is one of the nicest people on the face of the planet. I actually verbally invited her to my wedding and she seemed really like she wanted to go but supposedly (more name dropping of people only famous to me!) Blake Hazard and John Dragonetti (aka Jack Drag) were getting married the very same day. I don’t know if she was just being polite and made up an excuse or what. Blake and John both have solo stuff but they are also in a really awesome band called the Submarines. Blake is also one of the nicest people on the face of the planet.

Next up is Kristin Hersh, also of Throwing Muses and then also 50 Foot Wave and solo. I sorta kinda know Kristin. In case you haven’t figured it out Throwing Muses is my favorite band ever so ive been to all their solo and other band shows and then some of the Throwing Muses reunion shows (they seem to like to play in Boston when im out of town). Ive met Kristin a bunch of times and I would say she knows who I am and recognizes me but I probably wouldn’t go any further than that. Her husband/manager always recognizes me and remembers who I am which I think is crazy considering how many people they probably talk to/meet when they are on the road. I am also friend’s with Kristin’s web mistress.

To round out the weird “I know a lot of rock star’s web site managers” category I am also friendly with Juliana Hatfield’s website person. This is starting to sound strange as I type it like I stalk people through their website creators but it’s more a lot of people who like the same music seem to “hang out” in the same circles. I met Juliana once and she pretty much ran away from me. hahaha.

Kay Hanley is another semi acquaintance. She was in Letters to Cleo, another semi-popular 90s alt rock band. They had a “hit” with the song Here & Now. I wouldn’t have included her except I went to her first solo cd release “party” at Newbury Comics and she like recognized me. I was like WAAHHHH??!?!??!?! It’s only because ive seen her play live 800000 times.

To round them all out someone not actually from Boston is my BFF Tammy Ealom from Dressy Bessy. She is crazy and kooky and wacky and I love her and her music and her art. she always remembers us when they come to Boston and sometimes she’ll randomly comment on one of my facebook posts or like wish me happy birfday on my birfday.

Mainly I have a lot of friends who know these people better than I do so im like a friend by acquaintance. HAHAHAHA

Lisapunk, this is so cool! I love the Muses! I met Tanya a long time ago (she wouldn't remember me). I'm from Newport, where they grew up. Tanya used to hang out once in a while at the house where my ex-boyfriend's band used to hang and rehearse. I do remember her being really nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

monkeytoes wrote:
Ooh, a high school related one: my dad's high school was the very beautiful school used for the exterior shots in 10 Things I Hate About You. That's Not-Quite-Fame right there.

whoa is that where they filmed the Heath Ledger singing on the bleachers/stairs thing? I love that movie and that school does look beautiful.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

also the singer of that band^ who i am also friends with once waited on David Duchovny at a restaurant. He was very nice and left a very good tip.

And I make cupcakes for Russian Circles and Pelican every time they tour through Buffalo.
I made a huuuge peanut butter frosting and chocolate layer cake for Explosions in the Sky and hung out with them and they are super adorable.
(I actually have two show promoter friends who frequently let me into shows for free if i show up with a treat for the bands, so it usually works out pretty nice- I've met loooots of bands this way.)

My friend and I did merch for John Vanderslice once and then went out for a late night dinner with him and his bandmates. I talked extensively with his keyboardist about our matching vintage electric pianos. Six years later, I went to see JV again and he actually approached me because he remembered me!

My bands have shared the stage with the Appleseed Cast, Margot and the Nuclear So&So's, Screaming Females, Calvin Johnson (of the Hive Dwellers), Harry and the Potters and a few others i can't remember. We almost played with Mike Watt as well.

Last edited by Norelle on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:40 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Quarantined wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

whoa is that where they filmed the Heath Ledger singing on the bleachers/stairs thing? I love that movie and that school does look beautiful.

This forum I used to frequent like 13 years ago, we had a thread like this and someone's claim to fame was that they went to that school.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:41 pm 
Dead by dawn

Quarantined wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Yup, Stadium High School was apparently named for the stadium where they filmed Heath Ledger singing. My dad is, shockingly, not listed amongst the notable alums. Oddly enough, though, Irv Robbins (of Baskin-Robbins and father of super-vegan John Robbins) is. So there's a whole new dubious claim to not-quite-fame for me: my dad and John Robbins's dad went to the same high school!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

nice! This threads needs this:

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:45 pm 
Dead by dawn

Really, what thread doesn't need that?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:55 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

The guitarist in Fred's band worked with Allan Doughty from Jesus Jones. We saw one of his bands play in Austin at SXSW last week. He saw Fred's band too, and really liked them.

Everything else I have is work-related. And pretty damn dubious.
-One of the guys from Pelican worked at the seafood counter and later the cheese counter (on my team!). He's very easy to look at.
-A girl in Whole Body is dating one of the guys from Wilco. They get wine recommendations and hang out at the wine bar fairly regularly.
-I recommended my very favorite Riesling to Tim Meadows last Thanksgiving. It's like we had dinner together, right?
-I once followed David Krumholtz (of 10 Things I Hate about You and Firefly fame) around the store one day. I really wanted to meet him and be friends with Mr. Universe, but I chickened out.
-I cashiered for several former Top Chef contestants. Also Rick Bayless at least twice.
-I made coffee for Vince Vaughn once. Large skim vanilla latte. We totally chatted for a second.

I'm in one of Fred's music videos for about one frame. It's during the quick little montage at the end.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

I am on an album cover: http://www.subpop.com/releases/pretty_a ... /get_young
It's a painting but it's based on a real photo shoot.

I once drunkenly chatted with Michael Shannon at the after-party for a play he was in and I think he was stoned - the sharing of sentences = BFFs, right??

I work at a large retail store in NYC and have seen a bunch of celebs come in. The only ones I can remember right now are Greg Kinnear, Spike Lee, Mark Hoppus, and Katie Couric. Katie Couric was the cutest nicest person ever.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:28 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

kara kara wrote:
-A girl in Whole Body is dating one of the guys from Wilco. They get wine recommendations and hang out at the wine bar fairly regularly.

Eek, cool! Wilco is my fave!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:54 am 
Nailed to the V

I saw that Maria Bamford is going to be in Eugene next month- my sister used to date a [jerky] guy who was a comedian and good pals with MB.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06 am 
Grandfathered In

FootFace wrote:
You guys remember, way back in '13 when I started this thread? Something about some Macklemore thread?

Well, tonight I find out that two guys in Mrs. Face's band got call-backs to be in an upcoming Macklemore video.

The two guys from her band are in the video! (Don't know what song, and I don't know when the video will be released.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Had a dream last night that I was hanging out with Natalie Portman and she was my cousin. I was thinking to myself "how did I forget to tell the PPK about my cousin Natalie?"

I woke up all excited to tell you guys and then - oh, yeah. Dream.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quote:
A girl in Whole Body is dating one of the guys from Wilco. They get wine recommendations and hang out at the wine bar fairly regularly.

Makes me kinda sad considering Tweedy's alcoholism :/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:14 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

radioactivegan wrote:
When I moved away from Knoxville, TN, I spent one last, glorious night at the downtown grill and brewery (I remember about a third of that night, unfortunately). Apparently, Quentin Tarantino was downstairs while I was upstairs getting hammered. My friend even got a picture with him, then came upstairs to see me. She never mentioned it.

My friends and I went to lots of the cast/crew parties for Tarantino's "Death Proof," when that was filming here a few years ago. He was very nice every time we hung out. Not a great dancer. But very nice.

It's sort of difficult to avoid celebrities here in Austin. I'm pretty sure 75% of the people in town have met Ryan Gosling; for months he was EVERYWHERE all the time. (My husband and I were on-set for the Terrence Malick movie that filmed at Fun Fun Fun Fest, so I met Malick, Ryan Gosling, and Rooney Mara.) My husband works in entertainment, which is how I got to have drinks with Michael Fassbender a few months ago ... he was a great conversationalist, lots of fun, and very handsome in person.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:38 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Nina Hagen kissed me on the lips last summer!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next