| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gym etiquette
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:47 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I sympathize with the frustrated. I used to work out at the YM-YWCA, and couldn't stand it for longer than a month... girls in new yoga-gear and too much make-up barely breaking a sweat and yet constantly hogging the cardio machines, lunks grunting and dropping their weights, and kids screaming and running helter-skelter with parents who refuse to control them.

I have to admit that I LOVE my gym of the last 3 years. It's cheap, 24h access, well lit with great security features. Private change-rooms, private bathrooms, private showers. It's small but has everything I need. No group fitness classes (cuz I hate them anyway). During prime time I can still ALWAYS get a treadmill, and I never wait more than a couple minutes for the machine I want to use. (And if my choice weight machine is occupied, there's plenty others available to use in the meantime till it's available.) And people are generally awesome about cleaning their machines and re-racking their weights.

There are a few meat-heads, but they're not jerks about it... they just come in, work out hard for 2 hours, drink their creatine and leave.

There IS the occasional show-off, but they seem to travel in pairs... they share machines, pat eachother on the back, commend each-others' biceps and tribal tattoos and leave the rest of us alone.

There are really lumpy people and there are really fit people, and lots of in-between people, and everyone seems generally cool with everyone else. Fat or fit, we're all there for the same reason anyway, right? And I like that I happen to notice other regulars, their bodies changing, and that they've become faster/stronger as time passes. In my head I give them a high-five and tell them they're awesome. :-)

These commercials make me laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfmpXsLV_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn5mzEAMAkY

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:33 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i am just taking this opportunity to say that I am that crazy lady last week who only realized she forgot her towel AFTER running 6K and had to take a shower and dry her body with her scuzzy T shirt. oh the humiliation. anything i thought odd about the other people at my gym, i forgive entirely.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:58 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Chicki wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
New annoyance. I didn't realise people really did this.

If you are using a piece if equipment, you are not also using a different one three metre away, unless a part of your workout involves telekinesis.

Oh yeah, someone was doing that last week. I sat down at a machine, and the dude next to me (also on a machine) was like "hey, I'm using that". I ignored him. Douche. Its IMPOSSIBLE to be doing 2 things at one time!

This has been happening so much at my gym lately! One guy tried to pull the "I'm using that machine, too" thing on me and I just sat down at the machine and ignored him. He gave me so much stink eye.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:14 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

For the 'I'm using that machine' situation: accepted etiquette at gyms i know is to just say 'mind if I work in?' and alternate sets with the guy. I've never heard of anyone saying YES I MIND unless it is something loaded with huge plates that you would have to change out each time. If its just a machine where you change the pin it should be no biggie to work in with someone else.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

hehe. in my gym when someone does a circuit of say, 5 machines, all the machines are his (inevitably, his) whether he's physically on them or not. he'll say in wonder "but then i'll have to change the weights?!" [it's pins]

eh, whatever. that's why i use the machines nobody else likes.

continuing the confessions: i left the treadmill so drippy and squicky when i left the other day that it was embarrassing. Our gym [like all here] is not a place where you clean your machine afterwards, there is a fleet of cleaning ladies that make rounds, but i wish i could just clean the damn thing off myself [but no paper towels, no cleaning gunk, and if they think i'm nuts for running and not being dressed up, i can only imagine what they would say if i cleaned the machines]. sometimes my cultural baggage is a little extra heavy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:40 am 
Impressive boner

I get to the gym for 6.30am to make sure that I can get access to the equipment I need while the gym is relatively quiet, plus there are some interesting characters about at that time of day.

The Gas Man likes to use a cross trainer that backs onto the abs section, which is incidentally where I do most of my kettlebell work. I don't think he realises that people around him can hear him farting. His back is towards me so I'm in the line of fire.

The Angry Snake uses freeweights with his two buddies. He got his name from the noises he makes, "SSSS! SSSS! SSSS! SSSS!" and "DOOF! DOOF! DOOF!". Two of this group like to try to make the other member lift weights way beyond his ability (which leads to occasional injuries), backslap, make loud statements such as "I'm at the top of my game today, I can feel it." and drop their weights on the floor. I have a hard time keeping a straight face, especially when these actions are juxtaposed by his voice which sounds like one of Charlie The Unicorn's frenemies.

I feel a sense of comradeship towards Flexy Female as she squats the same weight as me, however it's not cool to make me wait 15 minutes for her to finish her sets because she decided to do a full stretch out during her squats instead of before and after.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

love the names!

also, yes, dropping the forking weights. they do it shamelessly and frequently at my gym, and i jump every time. i park my car in the garage under the building, and one day someone is going to drop a full bar and it's going to go through the floor and land on my car, i know it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:31 pm 
Impressive boner

There's a sign on the wall in the freeweights section which is a quote from someone, expressing that dropping weights is an attention-seeking exercise that only gets people to laugh at you. I guess the patrons at my gym don't read it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:35 pm 

Yes to watching brodudes lift more weight than they can handle! If you can't do one rep without almost herniating, then it's too much.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

While I think for many people it's unnecessary and a bit attention-seeking, dropping the weights is often safer for some lifters than setting them down. It depends on what/how they're lifting though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:55 pm 
Impressive boner

I've seen people drop them out of necessity and I agree that sometimes it is safer for them to be dropped. The difference between a drop for safety and an 'attention slam' is certainly in the delivery. Angry Snake likes to slam every deadlift he does, puctuated by a 'DOOF!'.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:57 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

torque wrote:
hehe. in my gym when someone does a circuit of say, 5 machines

5 machines is over the line! That guy needs to join a group circuit class. TWO machines is what you use for super setting, which is acceptable. Five machines for one person means that person thinks he is in his own private gym.

Also, the loud farters with earbuds in never fail to make me laugh, unless I'm in the line of fire. It's funniest when it is old men on the cardio machines.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:22 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

At my gym you're not allowed to drop the bar during deadlifts. I think that's a great rule.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:04 am 
Impressive boner

Love Child wrote:
At my gym you're not allowed to drop the bar during deadlifts. I think that's a great rule.

Thats cool. I think that if you have to drop the bar you're probably experiencing problems that say you shouldn't be deadlifting at that particular time, or you're trying to lift too much.

stellamarie wrote:
It's funniest when it is old men on the cardio machine

Yep, this is The Gas Man.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

8ball wrote:
Love Child wrote:

Thats cool. I think that if you have to drop the bar you're probably experiencing problems that say you shouldn't be deadlifting at that particular time, or you're trying to lift too much.

Totally, if it's safety or whatever, that's fine, but i think for these guys Dropping the Weights is part of the routine of lifting weights, like a requirement.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:01 am 

nope, I maintain that if you're not sitting on the machine, it's up for grabs!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:55 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

paprikapapaya wrote:

Seconded!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:10 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

torque wrote:
8ball wrote:
Love Child wrote:

Totally, if it's safety or whatever, that's fine, but i think for these guys Dropping the Weights is part of the routine of lifting weights, like a requirement.

I don't think the dudes who run my gym care that much about the safety of their customers though, I think they're more worried about the floor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:50 am 
Inflexitarian

j-dub wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

Seconded!

Addendum: Machines are up for grabs, but no resting on them between sets! The gym I go to has signs explicitly saying not to rest on the machines between sets, but rather to let folks work in between. There's definitely been times when I've done a set, then gotten up to rest for a minute, meanwhile someone else grabs the machine (which is okay), and then just sits there after doing their first set (which is not. Come on! We have to alternate!).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:25 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Exactly, you have to alternate sets with the person who is waiting. No camping out between sets or giving stinkeye from the next machine over. Going back and forth between two machines is ok. if someone else wants to work in while you are resting/on the other machine you let them. Person who is waiting doesn't claim the machine for 3 sets in a row and neither does person who had the machine first.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:47 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

At the gym today this bro-type dude was using a kettlebell in the general vicinity of the squat rack. Another guy came up to use the squat rack and the bro-dude was all "nah, brah, I'm using it"*. About three minutes later (i.e. plenty of time to have done a set or two) he goes over to the squat rack and uses the area to JUMP ROPE! God he was irritating.

*I may be editorializing slightly on the dialogue.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:49 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I can only go to the gym at certain times because they only have childcare at certain times. That is not the problem. The problem is that they are at the same time that the CrossFit class meets there. I don't do CrossFit (I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I just like working out by myself), but I DO like to use some of the stuff they use (the boxes, the jump rope, the pull up band), and I can't use it if they are, and even if they aren't use it, and I check with them to make sure they aren't, I get major attitude about it.

I've already bought my own pull up band, next I'll get my own jump rope.

I also hate groups of people working out together in the freeweight area who talk too much. Have I mentioned I like being alone? I'm getting bluetooth headphones for my birthday so I don't have to listen to people anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:37 am 
Baking In The Flavor

1.) Agsfgrgjufb SQUAT RACK is for SQUATS! the guy who was hogging it needs to take his jump rope and his marbles and go play in the street.

2.) CrossFit people can be rude to people who aren't in their 'club'. a lot of them (not all, but enough if them) have this us vs. them mentality that sucks. You will never win because they think they are right and you are wrong. Just get the front desk staff to go over there and take what you need.

3.) Loud-farting old men with earbuds in are awesome because they just don't care. "I'm old, I do what I want!"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:23 am 
Seagull of the PPK

GinaKina wrote:
Have I mentioned I like being alone? I'm getting bluetooth headphones for my birthday so I don't have to listen to people anymore.

Those nice earbud headphones are the best thing ever. i don't have to hear anything going on around me [except the slamming weight bars falling on the floor], and the trainers don't approach me because i can't hear them.
NOTE: I DO NOT FART WHILE WEARING THEM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:41 am 
WRETCHED

I think mornings are best time to use the squat rack. I hate going to the gym crowded.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next