| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vancouver holiday suggestions please
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:27 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hi,

My friend and I will be visiting Vancouver for a few days in June. Neither of us have been there before, so I was wondering if we could get some suggestions for places to stay, things to do and, most importantly, places to eat. I've been perusing guidebooks but they can be a little overwhelming sometimes!

Is it true that you can get vegan hotdogs on street corners everywhere?

Thanks,

Susan

Post subject: Re: Vancouver holiday suggestions please
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Oooo I love Vancouver in June. My favourite thing to do in Vancouver is to walk on the seawall. You could do one big adventure, or separate it into little chunks, i.e. Athlete's village one day, Granville Island another, Stanley Park, etc.... I also like walking to Queen Elizabeth Park. I'm more of a nature/walk type person, so I don't know much about museums.

You can get veggie hot dogs everywhere and most of them use Yves brand so they are vegan, but I'm not 100% sure about the bun. No matter where you are you can get vegan sushi by just getting vegetable/cucumber/avocado etc... and making sure they hold the mayo. My personal favourite restaurant is Bandidas Taqueria (on Commercial), but Nuba is really good too (Lebanese). I haven't checked out a lot of the asian places in Vancouver but I'm really looking forward to doing so and I think some other people in this thread can give good advice about those places. If you like shopping, check out Nice Shoes for shoes, bags, belts etc...

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff. Feel free to ask lots of questions. I currently don't live in Vancouver but I did for 23 years and I'm coming back in two months for good (I hope!). It's my favourite place in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:41 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I've just quoted myself from a similar thread:
j-dub wrote:
In Vancouver you've got a few choices. The Commercial Drive area (where I live) is full of hippies and artists, lots of good vegan food, neat little shops, and a few nice big parks as well as a lake in the middle of the city. I'm not much of a drinker, but there are a couple of bars that I hear good things about.

Main St is full of hipsters, great clothes stores, excellent food, more (and probably better) bars.

Kitsilano is full of yuppies, has multiple beaches, some good vegan food (including a 24 hr vegetarian restaurant) but isn't where I'd go first for food.

The West End is walking distance to downtown, right by Stanley Park (a 10-km beachside walk), lots of bars, lots of food options but mostly in omni restaurants (though there is a new buddhist Chinese restaurant and the Loving Hut food truck should be back up and running when you're here).

The Cambie area is between Main St and Kitsilano, has decent food options, is very easy to get downtown from.

Unless you are really into outdoor stuff I wouldn't stay in North Vancouver--the food options suck (though there are two raw vegan places for some reason), transit is a pain in the butt, and there isn't much to do outside of the mountain sports.

Both Commercial Drive and Main St are close to the Skytrain, so it's easy to get downtown or to go to the surrounding suburbs.

For what you're wanting I would probably suggest Main St, but I think you could happily find yourself in any of the above-mentioned places. And transportation in Vancouver is generally pretty easy so you can easily get to any of the neighbourhoods you want to visit.

If you want specific recommendations for restaurants, stuff to do, etc. let me know (or come visit the Vancouver thread!).

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 am 

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it.
Walks are good! The sea wall sounds pretty. We will need to be walking a lot to work off all the food we will be eating. ;)
I'm sure I will have more questions, and I will check out the Vancouver thread as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:40 pm 

So I have been busy making a Google Map of all the vegan places, wow! So many choices!
I think we will probably spend some time in Stanley Park, Granville Island, some of the other museums and parks and possibly doing a food crawl down Commercial Drive. Capillano Suspension bridge looks pretty, but possibly too high up in the air for me! (Heights are scary!)
Is there anything else you would consider a must see??
I was wondering if anyone might have any hotel suggestions for us?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:01 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Everything hotel in Vancouver is pricey. I would recommend biting that bullet if you have the means and springing for the west end. There are "budget" hotels in Richmond and in less desirable areas of town, but they are still super pricey for what you get! If you want a full kitchen/laundry suite, I recommend the Lard Stanley in the West End. We compared a "normal" budget hotel versus that place, and given the proximity to downtown, kitchen, laundry, etc... we ended up paying less than when we stayed at a motel, because there was so much less transportation and eating out. Plus the LS overlooks Stanley Park, is a block from Whole Foods and tonnes of restaurants, and the views are stunning.

Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

On Sunday, I took my Aussie friend up Quarry Rock in North Van and she was pretty blown away by the scenery. It is a relatively short hike and you don't have to be near any edges that would make your height concerns kick in. This is one of the available views: you can google for others if you want. If you go on a weekday, you can be pretty much alone up there; however, weekends are a bit of a zoo.

There is also the demonstration forest in North Van (which you would drive right by), which has several nice walks as well as bike rides/rollerblade path through the hills and forests. You can see deers up there frolicking about if your lucky (bears too but they don't really frolic too much.