| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegucated: the documentary
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:57 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

DarthCupcake wrote:
I liked it, but I was disappointed by the end, in that none of them stayed vegan. Two of the three people went "mostly vegan," but none of them actually stuck with it. I watched it with two omnis and they were pretty much un-moved by it, because in many ways, it just reaffirmed everything they felt about how veganism is hard and inaccessible.

this is a very excellent point. i wasn't looking at it that way but i think a lot of omnis probably would.

i'll just keep rewatching fat, sick, & nearly dead when I want healthy inspiration

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:57 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

lobsteriffic wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:

Yeah, this. I also thought it was strange how she suggested people converting to veganism stock up on cheese and meat alternatives. I tend to avoid telling people to do that, as that seems to encourage comparison between the non-vegan and vegan versions.

This!
It seemed very problematic to me that they only thing we saw in these people's refrigerators was soy milk, fake cheese, and soy dogs! Where were the vegetables?!?!?! Having been vegetarian for over a year (and vegan for just a week), I have never had fake cheese or a soy dog (although I am sure I will try them all at some point, it would still never be something you would normally find in my fridge). It's not surprising to me that 2 out of the 3 didn't commit to full-on veganism.

While the information about all the different farm and slaughterhouse practices was good in reaffirming MY decision to go vegan (even if I only could stand to partially listen and not watch), overall, I don't really think that the documentary as a whole would be enough to convince most people to really consider veganism or vegetarianism.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:15 am 
Saggy Butt

it is what convinced me to go vegan again after 15 years or more of meat eating.
but... I agree with all the points that if someone had not been exposed to it at all in the past this is not complete information. far too much processed food.
I liked the style though... I watched Forks Over Knives afterward and while the info was more complete it was super boring.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:40 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Forks over Knives was boring- it took me two sittings to get through the whole thing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

My vegetarian roomie and pescetarian bffsy watched this while I was either... working a night shift or crashed out after a night shift?

They both said it was really enjoyable. My roommate's been bugging me to watch it with her because she thinks I'll really enjoy it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

But if you tell someone eating the SAD to go whole food vegan, they're going to be pretty overwhelmed. Giving them access to their faves via processed food is likely to make the transition.

I just watched this the other day and mostly enjoyed it. I was sad that only one stuck to veganism in the end but the other two being vegetarian and "mostly vegan" is still better than the alternative! They made it pretty clear that the one girl was buckling to pressures within her family and circle of friends, which is probably why most people that waver don't stick to veganism.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I am going to watch this with the VegClub at my school tonight. I haven't seen it, so i hope it is good.