| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:08 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3245
Location: Ireland
It arrived today! Excitement!

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:29 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4950
Location: WV
Omni manfriends love black bean burgers. I added about 1/3 cup of frozen corn to the mix and it was a major hit! He said next time he wanted them with salsa and jalapeños. I love them, personally, with red hot tahini sauce!

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:29 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4109
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
I think I am going to make the quinoa salad with black beans and mango tomorrow when my brother visits. But two questions:

Will it be ruined if I use green instead of red pepper? I am worried the green pepper flavour might clash with the sweetness of the mango.

Is it flavourful enough that we could use it as a filling for tortillas with some lettuce? If not, any ideas on what I can serve with it to flesh it out into a lunch? Something that's not tofu/tempeh/seitan based? I'd prefer to stuff it in a wrap and make my life easy.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:19 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:50 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Oxford, England
Love that quinoa salad. It's definitely flavourful enough to serve as is in lettuce wraps, that's how I've eaten it in the past. If you can't get red pepper I think you'll be fine but I love the colour combo with the red pepper, you've already got green with the cilantro...hope you enjoy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:58 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5298
Location: United States of New England
made the chickpea cutlets last night and the roasted butternut squash with coriander seeds.

we liked both but i think for the squash next time we would use less coriander seed and make sure to smash them up better. we were kind of crunching coriander seed which was a tad unpleasant.

the cutlets were good too i just wish i had cooked them a tad bit longer.
my husband cut them up and put them on some leftover slider buns we had and made a sammich and put some mustard on it and said it was really good that way

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:49 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12093
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Yes, that salad makes great wraps, but green pepper is a Devil Vegetable and should therefore be avoided. Even Molly agrees with me.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:53 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4950
Location: WV
LisaPunk wrote:
made the chickpea cutlets last night and the roasted butternut squash with coriander seeds.

we liked both but i think for the squash next time we would use less coriander seed and make sure to smash them up better. we were kind of crunching coriander seed which was a tad unpleasant.

the cutlets were good too i just wish i had cooked them a tad bit longer.
my husband cut them up and put them on some leftover slider buns we had and made a sammich and put some mustard on it and said it was really good that way


These are two of my favorites! I like baking the cutlets, because I like the firmer texture they get that way. As for the squash, yeah, you really have to smash the hell out of your coriander seeds. I think there is a method in AFR where you put them in a plastic baggie and the roll over them a bunch with a rolling pin, and it works really well. If you guys like mustard in your house, you must make the mustard sauce with the chickpea cutlets!

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:58 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4109
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
lavawitch wrote:
Yes, that salad makes great wraps, but green pepper is a Devil Vegetable and should therefore be avoided. Even Molly agrees with me.


LOL, well I disagree, but I super stupidly forgot to buy cilantro so the extra tang from the green pepper helped it along. I also added more vinegar because I like my salads vinegary. But they were tasty! Served wraps alongside Oh She Glows tortilla soup, minus the tortillas. It was a nice, fresh, warm weather lunch on a very March feeling day, LOL. When I was making it I did forget about the snow outside, though!

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:02 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5298
Location: United States of New England
lavawitch wrote:
Yes, that salad makes great wraps, but green pepper is a Devil Vegetable and should therefore be avoided. Even Molly agrees with me.


my mom agrees too and will pick them out of anything no matter how small they are chopped.

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:04 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5298
Location: United States of New England
allularpunk wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
made the chickpea cutlets last night and the roasted butternut squash with coriander seeds.

we liked both but i think for the squash next time we would use less coriander seed and make sure to smash them up better. we were kind of crunching coriander seed which was a tad unpleasant.

the cutlets were good too i just wish i had cooked them a tad bit longer.
my husband cut them up and put them on some leftover slider buns we had and made a sammich and put some mustard on it and said it was really good that way


These are two of my favorites! I like baking the cutlets, because I like the firmer texture they get that way. As for the squash, yeah, you really have to smash the hell out of your coriander seeds. I think there is a method in AFR where you put them in a plastic baggie and the roll over them a bunch with a rolling pin, and it works really well. If you guys like mustard in your house, you must make the mustard sauce with the chickpea cutlets!


i didnt think of a rolling pin. i was bashing it with the bottle of a big beer bottle. though i did try rolling the bottle a few times.
i might just use the coffee grinder next time.

where is the mustard sauce recipe? is it right near the recipe for the chickpea cutlets and i missed it?

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:51 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12093
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Oh yeah. That mustard sauce! Its very mustardy, in all the best ways.

I gave Molly a green pepper once because the red organic ones were $5 each. She picked every scrap out of her veggie and fruit bowl and dumped it over the side onto the carpet. I went and bought her the $5 red one.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:37 am 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:31 am
Posts: 114
Location: The Middle Yeast
LisaPunk wrote:
where is the mustard sauce recipe? is it right near the recipe for the chickpea cutlets and i missed it?


in the Sauces chapter! so many good ones in there. I like the mushroom gravy on chickpea cutlets too


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:49 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5298
Location: United States of New England
i made the chocolate raspberry chewy cookies today. i think it's the first dessert ive made from this book.

i was worried because the batter seemed SO DRY. i even hand kneaded it like it said.

however i didnt need to worry cause they came out super good!

yum!

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4109
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
LisaPunk wrote:
i made the chocolate raspberry chewy cookies today. i think it's the first dessert ive made from this book.

i was worried because the batter seemed SO DRY. i even hand kneaded it like it said.

however i didnt need to worry cause they came out super good!

yum!


I made these with strawberry jam as part of my Christmas cookie baking. My friends were nuts for them!

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:00 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 743
I always make the cutlets with that mustard sauce. Soooo good. That, plus lemony roasted potatoes and roasted asparagus or brussels sprouts. Best meat and potatoes meal evah.

Ps: I love your bird stories, lavawitch!

_________________
Obligatory blog.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:18 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 1804
Location: North Carolina
lavawitch wrote:
Yes, that salad makes great wraps, but green pepper is a Devil Vegetable and should therefore be avoided. Even Molly agrees with me.


This made me laugh because I DO agree with you!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12093
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
molly wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Yes, that salad makes great wraps, but green pepper is a Devil Vegetable and should therefore be avoided. Even Molly agrees with me.


This made me laugh because I DO agree with you!!


Hah! <3

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:44 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am
Posts: 297
Made the seitan with Brussels, kale and sun-dried tomatoes... except substituting chickpeas for the seitan. Delicious!

_________________
http://tastespace.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:03 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 am
Posts: 1053
Location: Minnesota
I'm making the lemon bars for Easter dessert tomorrow. Ive never made them before so I'm hoping they're fool proof. I'm nervous I'll mess up with the agar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:20 pm 
Offline
Moving To Sheepshead Bay
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 5968
I'm going to either make the lemon bars or the jelly dounut cupcakes to take to my brother's this weekend. I asked him which sounded better and he said they both sound good, make whatever I want! I can't decide! They both sound good to me too, that's why I asked him what he wanted! So, does anyone think one is better than the other?

_________________
"I'm no elephant, but now I want molasses." -Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:36 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1308
Location: Nova Scotia
I love both of those recipes but I would choose the lemon bars yum yum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 am 
Offline
Has Isa on speed dial

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:03 pm
Posts: 89
They're both really good, but I think the lemon bars are better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:58 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12093
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
The jelly donut cupcakes are not reliable. That recipe fails for me as often as it works. I have to cut the nutmeg by half or I get a rash.

The lemon bars are amazing, fool proof and crowd pleasers.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5120
The lemon bars are seriously one of my all time favorite recipes. Like, you know how folks make brownies and chocolate chip cookies kind of regularly for themselves (at least I do?) I also make those lemon bars like that. They're one of my keeper superstars.

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 pm 
Offline
Moving To Sheepshead Bay
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 5968
Thanks everyone! Lemon Bars it is!

_________________
"I'm no elephant, but now I want molasses." -Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer