| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm sure her publisher is to blame for the photos and design of the book. If a woman is photogenic, of course they have to try to use sexy to sell more copies. <insert eye roll here>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, that's definitely my only real complaint with this book. I don't really care what she looks like while doing yoga. I do care what the Yoga Cookies look like. (Well, maybe not the cookies, but I'd rather have lots of photos of the food.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, I think I remember reading an interview with her where she sounded like she wasn't thrilled with all the photos but it was what the publishers wanted.

I subscribe to her Facebook page and I love all the photos she posts but I'm so sick of people commenting on her photos about how pretty or skinny she is. It's creepy and weird. She never responds to those comments and I'm sure it'd be like if she said anything negative people would call her uptight or bisque-y so it's like you're screwed either way. I really hate how the publishers and consumers exploit and focus on an author's attractiveness rather than what really matters, teh foodz! I think I even remember what of her competitors on Cupcake Wars making some inappropriate comment too. Yuck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:38 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Has anyone made the Orange Tofu? I am making hosting Easter dinner this year and instead of traditional we are doing an Asian themed meal. I am cooking several things from this book and her dessert book as almost everything has turned out fantastic. I haven't tried the Orange tofu yet and cooking something new for guests always makes me nervous, I usually like to try recipes myself first. I wanted to skip the frying in cornstarch and oil part and just slightly sautee the tofu in a little oil and then add the sauce. Any reviews or tips about this recipe would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I made that recipe and didn't fry the tofu either, brontrent. I added the cornstarch to the sauce instead of to the tofu. It was very good, but not that crispy. We've talked about this recipe a little bit in this thread, so you might want to go back a couple of pages and read what everyone else said.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 am 

Shukriyya wrote:
I made that recipe and didn't fry the tofu either, brontrent. I added the cornstarch to the sauce instead of to the tofu. It was very good, but not that crispy. We've talked about this recipe a little bit in this thread, so you might want to go back a couple of pages and read what everyone else said.

Thank-you, after I posted I did go back and find the posts you are referring to. I am going to do what you did and just add the cornstarch to the sauce. I would prefer it not fried and it also saves a step. I will be preparing multiple dishes at the same time and not quite sure how I will pull it all off LOL! I will be doing a lot of preprepping with the veggies, spice mixes, sauces ect. I also have a couple buffet warmers that can hold a couple of the dishes warm while I prepare the rest. I am going to be making veggie fried rice, an asian salad, spring rolls and from this book the Orange Chicken, Mongolian BBQ Seitan, Teriyaki Wok Vegetables and Chow Mein. I will also make some plain Chinese rice, noodle and veggie options for the kids that are more picky. I am also going to be making a couple of Chloe's desserts. I will have 15 people here and I have high hopes for this meal. Trying not to stress it and plan my shopping lists soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:47 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

That sounds like an amazing meal! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:55 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

brontrent wrote:
masuphl wrote:
brontrent wrote:
I ate some more of the Easy-Peasy Pasta Salad today (okay twice today) and I liked it much better. I am not sure if it grew on me or if it really did taste better the next day. I really like the nice creamy texture.

Also I made the Mongolian BBQ Seitan except I made it without the mushrooms and used tofu instead of seitan. It was really tasty! I definatly be making it again, even just the sauce itself would be great on other things. I also just added the ginger, cinnamon and cloves right in with the sauce.

Would you recommend using less oregano? Or was it more subtle the next day?

I would probably use a little less. I ended up eating it all and liking it. It is definatley different than other pastas salads so it just wasn't what I was expecting the first time. I think I ended up using a little extra water and potato (it didn't actually specify exactly how much potato) and it made it really nice and creamy, the creamy texture is really something awsome considering there is no vegan mayo.

I made this over the weekend and used 1/2 the amt of the oregano. I had to laugh because the first comment my mom made when she tasted it was "I can really taste the oregano!" (This comment is not normal for her, she doesn't have a great sense of taste and usually things taste bland to her). I really like the salad a lot! It sort of reminds of a French dressing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:50 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I am diving in to the Chloe's Kitchen book, we received it last week. We made the Mongolian BBQ, the drunken noodles, the artichoke-spinach dip, and the alfredo.

We served the artichoke spinach dip at a get-together at my house and it was a HUGE hit. I absolutely loved it, and so did everyone there. I can't believe the taste and texture is spot on. I added a little salt.

I just made the alfredo sauce and I CANNOT believe how good it is.

My surprise is that her recipes are so simple yet so wonderful. Most of her recipes do not call for a lot of ingredients and seem fairly simple to put together... but omg this sauce! HOW?! I have tried so many and none of them quite hit the mark. This one goes above and beyond. No nooch, and so creamy!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the pasta italiano tonight and it came out so good!
it was also really simple to make!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:54 pm 

That is one of the best things in this book. Everything (or most) are fairly simple and fast to prepare. The recipes taste great and appeal to people not familiar with vegan food(hence why I am making so many of her recipes this weekend when hosting Easter). I feel confident everyone will love them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:26 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's a good point. the pasta italiano doesnt scream LOOK AT ME I AM VEGAN FOOD BE AFRAID! it's just pasta and beans and yet it was soooo good!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:15 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I love the simplicity of this book too and the use of everyday ingredients. I think it's very accessible and there's no fancy techniques. I find myself cooking from it occasionally on weeknights, which is rare for me and while there are certainly some recipes I like better than others, I have yet to come across a recipe that just aint what it should be or hasn't worked. And I have several recipes from it that are in my regular rotation (chipotle chop salad, drunken noodles, orange tofu, garlic bread, some of the pasta dishes...) I tried the bolognese on the weekend and think it's great and it was super easy to make.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:17 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

You guys! Stop making books sound really good!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:17 pm 

I just got this yesterday, and everything does look simple and tasty. But I just have to complain a little about filler recipes- a "recipe" for toast with avocado on it? Or a salad that's mixed greens with a couple of normal salad toppings? Yikes. But I'm excited about the Mongolian BBQ and the Toffee Bars.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:41 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

In defense of basic recipes like the avocado toast one - I had not heard of avocado toast before Chloe's cookbook and I absolutely love it! So, it's nice for people like me who live under rocks (or just in different parts of the world where avocado toast isn't a thing) if some basic stuff is included. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I agree that it seems out of place - but only if you're already familiar with vegan food. For someone who's learning, it's harder to think of what you could possibly eat. This book is definitely good for people who aren't as familiar with vegan food, because it's nice and basic and easy. And I think that's part of the appeal for more seasoned vegans as well - the recipes are tailored to a palate that might not be so used to vegan tastes, so they taste more like traditional non-vegan food. Which is nice, especially when you're cooking for a mixed crowd!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:30 pm 

Shukriyya wrote:
In defense of basic recipes like the avocado toast one - I had not heard of avocado toast before Chloe's cookbook and I absolutely love it! So, it's nice for people like me who live under rocks (or just in different parts of the world where avocado toast isn't a thing) if some basic stuff is included. ;)

I'm glad you got good use out of the recipe! I realize now that my comment probably seems snarky, and I didn't mean for it to. If super simple recipes like avocado on toast help new vegans stay vegan, then I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:54 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Oh no, don't worry, it didn't come across as snarky to me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Moon wrote:

i hate this book and that dumb cow Chloe and her ugly frowny face >_<

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ok, this page alone has convinced me to put this book on my wish list. Darnit, guys!

ETA: Apparently it was already on my wish list, so amazon moved it to the top. But now I feel like buying it.

Double ETA: Especially since the peanut noodles aren't on the look inside feature.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

couroupita wrote:
Yeah, I think I remember reading an interview with her where she sounded like she wasn't thrilled with all the photos but it was what the publishers wanted.

I subscribe to her Facebook page and I love all the photos she posts but I'm so sick of people commenting on her photos about how pretty or skinny she is. It's creepy and weird. She never responds to those comments and I'm sure it'd be like if she said anything negative people would call her uptight or bisque-y so it's like you're screwed either way. I really hate how the publishers and consumers exploit and focus on an author's attractiveness rather than what really matters, teh foodz! I think I even remember what of her competitors on Cupcake Wars making some inappropriate comment too. Yuck.

I went to her Facebook page to see what you were talking about, and whoa. The one dude who comments on every single one of her photos with something stupid to say about her smile? Waddacreep.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I thought the same thing about the garlic toast being obvious, but I'll be damned if it's not the best garlic toast I've ever eaten in my life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:12 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

creep wrote:
I love the bolognese in this book, but my husband made the bean/walnut/flour mixture into meatballs instead of sauce, and holy shiitake good. I think he left out the milk and sugar, but otherwise just formed that mixture into balls, then fried and baked them.

i've wanted to try this but thought they might come out mushy? I also thought about adding a little gluten...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:41 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

LisaPunk wrote:
Moon wrote:

i hate this book and that dumb cow Chloe and her ugly frowny face >_<

Phew! Urge to buy cookbooks crushed. Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next