| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 500 Vegan Recipes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

I am devastated. I got this book as a graduation gift, but there was a flood in my room and it got ruined. (sob). I have to wait until I move to get it, it sucks though, really it does. (sigh). I can not wait to get into this book. Again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:52 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

daisysunshine wrote:
I am devastated. I got this book as a graduation gift, but there was a flood in my room and it got ruined. (sob). I have to wait until I move to get it, it sucks though, really it does. (sigh). I can not wait to get into this book. Again.

Awww! Mine got ruined in a flood too! It's still kind of readable, but it's mostly destroyed. Maybe you can check it out from a library for now?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:28 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Where do you live, daisysunshine? I'd be happy to send you a copy. Email me at celine at havecakewilltravel.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:32 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Oh my! That cauliflower pasta crisp is awesome. Definetely a fave for omni hubby and I.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just remembered that I made the pumpkin bagels (with chocolate chips) a few weeks back and they were perfect! I've never made bagels before so I was a bit nervous but they were actually really easy and came out just like store bought bagels. I proclaimed to my family that I am never buying bagels again.
Next time I think I'll try the pesto ones or maybe experiment and try and come up with a green tea version.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the curried cauliflower puree to go with dinner as a side tonight and the flavor was awesome and the texture was absolutely velvety since I used my Blendtec on it, although the Mr. found that it whipped too much air into it making it a little "fluffy"... I liked that aspect, though. It could be used as a thicker (but still light?) soup or as a sauce, as described in the recipe.

I used unsweetened coconut milk (the kind that comes in the milk carton) instead of almond, though, since I thought it would go nicely with the green curry flavor. I'd definitely make this again! In fact, I'm going to look up the recipes in the book that call for this and put them on the "to make" list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:16 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I want to make the pumpkin fauxsages for my work's Halloween party. I'm thinking I'll cut them into pieces and stab 'em with toothpicks. Has anyone had these before? Would you recommend a sauce?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Made the Cool Lemon Cookies for the first time yesterday (I was in search of recipes containing no expensive ingredients that'd help me use up some almond yogurt) and the whole family really liked them. It called for a packet of unsweetened lemonade mix and a cup of powdered sugar to coat the cookies; I only had sweetened mix so used half a cup of that and half a cup of powdered sugar - worked just fine!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:11 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made the creamy leeks again to go with the new Redwood gammon roast and roast potatoes. This time I threw in a boat load of nooch too, SOOOO good. I made extra to have on a jacket potato later in the week.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

This is going to be my year long challenge next year :) I just labeled everything (I noticed there is some errata in the chaptering LOL), I'm excited to get started.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

As I posted in another thread, I just made the spicy pepita brittle and it's amazing! The spiciness and saltiness definitely balance out the sweetness, which makes it dangerously addictive and more-ish. I used pre-roasted and salted pepitas, since that was the only choice my store had other than raw, so I decided to cut back on the salt to 1/4 tsp, which I think was perfect. I was surprised by how quickly the temperature shot up to 300-ish from 270 or so, so make sure to keep a close eye on it once it gets into the higher temps. No problems at all, though, with it setting up correctly or sticking. I'm not sure how much of this batch will be left after my partner and I keep snacking on it, but I'll probably make at least one more batch for Christmas to portion out as gifts to people.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:55 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

daisysunshine wrote:
This is going to be my year long challenge next year :) I just labeled everything (I noticed there is some errata in the chaptering LOL), I'm excited to get started.

*vgnwitch likes this*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just put this on my Amazon wish list. You guys are a bad influence on me!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

The Pumpkin Fauxsages are pretty amazing. I'm eating my last one for lunch today and wishing I had more...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

First few things I made

Macadamia Yoghurt Granola. freaking yummy. It's not overly sweet, it came together really fast. I'm going to make more and always have some in the fridge (I'm assuiming. I never know where to keep homemade granola). I used Vanilla Almond Yoghurt. Maybe next time I'll use coconut. :)

Pesto Bagels. (I made a batch of "Oh She Glow's" avocado pesto - my go to, because my two best friends are allergic to nuts & soy). These are great with a bit of hummus and YYR's Parm.
(this was served w/V'Con's creamy tomato soup).

Cauliflower Masala & Tofu Fries. SO easy. I'm going to have this for dinner. might serve this with rice but I think i'll do well w/o it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:17 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Made the curried tofu sandwich filling a while ago. I was sure I'd like it since it contained all yummy stuff: tofu! the combination curry + raisins! peanuts! mayo!

I put it in a baguette with avocado. And it was good. Next time I might use peanut butter instead of chopped peanuts to up the creaminess a little bit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:32 am 
Tofu Pup

Freetahtah wrote:
As I posted in another thread, I just made the spicy pepita brittle and it's amazing! The spiciness and saltiness definitely balance out the sweetness, which makes it dangerously addictive and more-ish. I used pre-roasted and salted pepitas, since that was the only choice my store had other than raw, so I decided to cut back on the salt to 1/4 tsp, which I think was perfect. I was surprised by how quickly the temperature shot up to 300-ish from 270 or so, so make sure to keep a close eye on it once it gets into the higher temps. No problems at all, though, with it setting up correctly or sticking. I'm not sure how much of this batch will be left after my partner and I keep snacking on it, but I'll probably make at least one more batch for Christmas to portion out as gifts to people.

I just made this too. Worked perfectly and very tasty too. Can't wait to share it with my omni family. I also had the temperature shoot up very fast but I hear that is normal for candy making. Watch boiling sugar like a hawk!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with the cupcake recipes in this book. I was looking to branch out from my VCTOTW regulars, but I noticed before I started baking that several of the recipes don't have any fat at all (or the sort of things one usually substitutes for fat): for example, the Lemon/Lime or 50/50 Bar recipes. This seems... unusual?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:15 am 
Nailed to the V

At Amazon, the kindle version of 500 Vegan Recipes is currently on sale for $2.99.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:39 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks LFL, The physical version's been on my wishlist forever, but I never would've noticed the kindle sale if you hadn't pointed it out. I just bought it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
Thanks LFL, The physical version's been on my wishlist forever, but I never would've noticed the kindle sale if you hadn't pointed it out. I just bought it!

Great! It was brought to my attention by SkullNBoneAppetite's post in the Ebook Bargains thread in the Cookbooks forum. There are some other vegan ebooks on sale right now listed there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:18 pm 
Huffs Nooch

LFL wrote:
jerusalemboheme6 wrote:

Great! It was brought to my attention by SkullNBoneAppetite's post in the Ebook Bargains thread in the Cookbooks forum. There are some other vegan ebooks on sale right now listed there.

Thanks for the shout out! :-) I bought it too, I've been looming through it and can't wait to try some of the recipes! And I love how the baked goods have a healthy spin on them.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:06 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I finally tried the Barbecue "Beef" Sandwiches. The onions kept falling out while kneading the dough. I cooked the seitan twice as long as stated in the recipe trying to get the broth to absorb, as instructed. Even though I used Aleppo pepper which is milder than cayenne, the Barbecue "Beef" was too spicy for me after cooking down the sauce. I ended up adding the rest of of it to some Vegan Diner chili. I also chopped up the "Beef", it did not really shred.

This is one case where I wish the cookbook had pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:57 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

This thread inspired me to pick up this book. Glad you all posted your favorites cause the 500 is surprisingly overwhelming. I love the recipes and the straight forward approach but gotta say i hate the way this book is indexed which is a 1st for me.

Made the protein quick bites and bacon and chorizo crumbles last night. Friggin awesome. Happy to have picked it up for some quick seitan making alone. I can see plenty of chorizo breakfast burritos in my future.

Now on to all the other recipes mentioned in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:22 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

This thread inspired me to pick up this book. Glad you all posted your favorites cause the 500 is surprisingly overwhelming. I love the recipes and the straight forward approach but gotta say i hate the way this book is indexed which is a 1st for me.

Made the protein quick bites and bacon and chorizo crumbles last night. Friggin awesome. Happy to have picked it up for some quick seitan making alone. I can see plenty of chorizo breakfast burritos in my future.

Now on to all the other recipes mentioned in this thread.