| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Migraine Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:48 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

fezza wrote:
So, I found out on Friday that the hospital weren't meant to give me the botox in my neck. They have no recollection of it happening and say they don't know how it could have. Their injection site chart has them giving me it in the back of my head, which they definitely didn't do. I'm going to contact the patient liaison service to see how it happened. There were 4 members of medical staff in the room at the time!

where in the neck did you get the shots and why aren't they supposed to give them there?

I always get it in my neck and along the back of my head. here's a pic I found that has some of the injections site I get, I mean I get these and some 'extra' ones over my ear and towards the back of the head, YAY me! :-\

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:50 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

8ball wrote:
I believe I experienced an aura today. It was off in the top left field of my vision and looked like a metallic blue spinning light. It was only there for a few seconds because when I moved my eyes to look at it, it was gone. I've had a headache more or less all day today so it could be connected.
My sister suffers from migraines and said that any kind of throbbing headache that throbs in time with my pulse could be a migraine, regardless of the severity of the pain. I do have headaches like this sometimes so if it is migraine it could also explain the hours of roomspin I sometimes get too.

I wonder if there was 'something in the air' yesterday, because I had a headache all day that turned into a monster of a migraine a few hours before I was supposed to go to a superbowl potluck.

I hope you're feeling better today 8ball!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

dangersquirrel wrote:
fezza wrote:
So, I found out on Friday that the hospital weren't meant to give me the botox in my neck. They have no recollection of it happening and say they don't know how it could have. Their injection site chart has them giving me it in the back of my head, which they definitely didn't do. I'm going to contact the patient liaison service to see how it happened. There were 4 members of medical staff in the room at the time!

where in the neck did you get the shots and why aren't they supposed to give them there?

I always get it in my neck and along the back of my head. here's a pic I found that has some of the injections site I get, I mean I get these and some 'extra' ones over my ear and towards the back of the head, YAY me! :-\

The doc said he couldn't understand how it happened because they're not supposed to give it in the neck at that clinic. It appears to be the two top sites (G) and two in between them on the same level. I think on his chart the G sites started lower down, not actually on the neck. They definitely didn't give me any in the back of my head, I remember to because the 3 in my scalp at the side almost made me throw up (the crunching sound as the needed cuts through the hair). When they were giving them to me in my neck I was curling up with the pain. My gp should have a note of me coming to him with the problems it caused in my neck. I had 5 mths of my neck crunching every time I turned my head and pain travelling up and down my spine, including episodes of pressure at the bottom of my spine.

Urgh, I'm sorry you have to get so many, it's a pretty unpleasant experience isn't it.

It seems I'll have to have a two month gap between treatments now (they've been told to give it every 8mths instead of 6mths), I suppose it's to let patients be sure they need it again, since it's covered by the NHS. I need to talk to my gp about alternative treatments for those gaps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:13 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

ugh, I had almost forgotten about the crunching sounds. I don't think anybody can understand the pain until they experience it. :-(

as bad as it is, it's still better then having multiple migraines day after day for several months. ;-)

on a side note, I'm uber jealous of you fezza, to go every 8 months instead of every 3. :-P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Oh geez you guys are making me kinda barfy.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:24 pm 

dangersquirrel wrote:
ugh, I had almost forgotten about the crunching sounds. I don't think anybody can understand the pain until they experience it. :-(

as bad as it is, it's still better then having multiple migraines day after day for several months. ;-)

on a side note, I'm uber jealous of you fezza, to go every 8 months instead of every 3. :-P

It's good on paper, but will give me a 4 month gap between the effectiveness of treatments. It takes the botox 3 weeks to work, it wears off 5 mths after treatment and then add the two extra months the NHS are implementing. It's a bit of a bollox.

Well, I had a chat with my gp about the whole thing, he could clearly see the decline in my ability to function, so put me on betablockers. It's 80mg timed release propranolol, given with a strict warning that I am to stop them if my asthma flares up. I have noticed a little tightness in my chest, but am taking daily preventative inhalers and carrying my reliever with me at all times. My asthma is normally so mild I don't need to use inhalers unless I have a chesty virus, so I figure I have a little bit of wiggle room. I'm on my second week and definitely noticing a reduction in migraine frequency and severity. They had gotten so bad the triptans were not really effective any more, so it's a huge relief. I don't know how long I can stay on them with the asthma, but at least I'm reducing the amount of daily reliever meds I'm on and getting a general break from the more severe symptoms.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:13 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

that's great the propranolol is giving you a break on migraine activity fezza!

monday I had a migraine hit me so bad that all the triptans in the world couldn't touch it (slight dramatization). the only thing that helped was 14hrs of hardcore sleep. it has taken my poor brain nearly 2 days to fully recover from it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:18 am 

Urgh, you have my sympathy! The post migraine fatigue is a bugger isn't it.

I got my appointment this morning, first week in May. So, instead of the "oh we'll have you back in 6mths for the next round" they touted last June, it's "come back in 13mths" and die a death in between. The downside to a NHS, you're at their mercy and they don't give a fiddlers what state you're in between appointments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:18 am 

fezza wrote:
Urgh, you have my sympathy! The post migraine fatigue is a bugger isn't it.

I got my appointment this morning, first week in May. So, instead of the "oh we'll have you back in 6mths for the next round" they touted last June, it's "come back in 13mths" and die a death in between. The downside to a NHS, you're at their mercy and they don't give a fiddlers what state you're in between appointments

Oh it's so hard!! UGH.

Doing okayish, but my period is incoming so I've got 2-3 days of suffering ahead.

13 months! That is nutso.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:51 am 

weird brief stabbing pain in right temple - my migraines are almost always left temple.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

8ball wrote:
I believe I experienced an aura today. It was off in the top left field of my vision and looked like a metallic blue spinning light

A couple of weeks ago I suddenly went partially (temporarily) blind in one eye. I googled the symptoms and it came up with
"A migraine with aura comes with additional symptoms...
blind spots or scotomas
blindness in half of your visual field in one or both eyes (hemianopsia)
seeing zigzag patterns (fortification)
seeing flashing lights (scintilla)
feeling prickling skin (paresthesia)
weakness
seeing things that aren't really there (hallucinations)"

Great, now I have hallucinations to look forward to.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:14 am 

Oh migraines, such fun! I hope that doesn't happen again.

Also, I'm not so sure but I don't think I've had an aura in awhile (the not so sure part means I'm pretty sure I haven't, but isn't that too good to be true? I mean, my migraines are very hormonally related, and if I'm not getting auras, maybe I could take Seasonale or whatever and only get 4 periods a year?)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:03 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

dudes!!!!

I just reached 10 years of having a headache. best milestone ever!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:37 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

joshua wrote:
dudes!!!!

is that 10 years with the same headache? ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:02 pm 
Impressive boner

Loud, almost painful tinnitus heralded the beginning of another migraine today. I took a sumitriptan quickly and went home to nap for an hour and it seems to have held the pain at bay.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:21 pm 

dangersquirrel wrote:
joshua wrote:
dudes!!!!

is that 10 years with the same headache? ;-)

a-yup.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:07 pm 

yeah that is horrible, joshua! non-stop?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:39 pm 

appifanie wrote:

a-yup. it varies in intensity obviously (bad sleep, dehydration, etc), but it's always there. I've learned to manage it over the years, but it's still a thing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Any of you migraine suffering ladies have any experience with a hormonal IUD? I quit my BC pills because I seem to get migraines more often when I'm on them, but considering the condoms are not an option in the long run, and a copper IUD seems like a bad solution when I get horrible cramps now that I'm off my BC pills, and I got pregnant the last time I had a diaphragm.. That pretty much only leaves the hormonal IUD. I heard that the hormones are more local, but I wonder if it's enough to avoid the migraines? Because if not, I'd rather just go back to the pill.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:40 pm 

joshua wrote:
appifanie wrote:

a-yup. it varies in intensity obviously (bad sleep, dehydration, etc), but it's always there. I've learned to manage it over the years, but it's still a thing

that's HORRIBLE. you've had MRIs I assume? I'm also fairly certain we've discussed this before - sorry! <3

smoothie - I haven't taken any form of BC in . . . 7 years or so because I was getting migraine w/ aura and auras + bc = increased stroke risk. however, most of my migraines are hormonally linked and I haven't had an aura in awhile. I'd like a copper iud but I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:24 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

had the worst day ever... I thought I'd be smart and take a triptan before going to the vets office this morning... isn't working. either that or it just can't handle the level of stress I currently have rushing thru my veins.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:08 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I don't see that I've posted in this thread before... I've been off work with the worst cyclical migraines I've ever had. I've gotten migraines for 10 years or so... but this past friday my neighbour was hammering on my door wanting to call an ambulance I was just screaming my head off in pain for 8 straight hours. I thought I was having some kind of, I dunno, aneurysm or something. I'm shaking just thinking about it right now. It was so bad I couldn't open my eyes for a second due to light-aversion and couldn't even manage to phone work or whatever to let them know I wouldn't be in.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:26 pm 

appifanie wrote:
that's HORRIBLE. you've had MRIs I assume? I'm also fairly certain we've discussed this before - sorry! <3

yup, I did the gamut of diagnostics maybe 6 years ago. I stopped when it went from 'we are testing for..' to 'I dunno, maybe it could be..'. I'd love to have it resolved, so maybe one day. if/when I'm back in Oz one day (or have insurance wherever I am), I'll go in for more tests..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:29 pm 

interrobang that's horrible! I'm so sorry.

joshua I hope you can be pain free some day!!

I had a wretched one today - the joyous hormonal migraine. that means it'll be back tmw. and the day after that. and monday we're 14 hour road tripping. blargh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:16 pm 
Inflexitarian

dangersquirrel wrote:

I'm going in for round three of my 36 injections in the head tomorrow. It's worked WONDERS. I've not had a single migraine since I began the treatment in October. I do still get mild sinus headaches and tension headaches, but they are lessening in severity each round. This round I've only had one severe headache and it coincided with a major allergy attack and ear infection!

I used to get a migraine two to three times a week that put me in bed. I missed 36 days of work one year. For me, this is the best thing ever.

I do still take topomax. I get attacks on my inner ear and it seems to lessen those attacks as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next