| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Hawaii based vegans who can answer some questions?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:48 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hi all, I will be spending a month in Hawaii and have questions like "Where can I find great wholegrain vegan bread?"

Hope this doesn't sound like too much of a weird question but I use my bread maker constantly (have not bought bread in over a year) and I won't have a car in Hawaii so don't want to do too much trekking around to find bread.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a Hawaii-based PPK member? We will be on a budget and don't tend to eat at restaurants much, so I'm mostly looking to figure out good meal options for making at the apartment we're renting. (I'm not from the US)

Will be staying in the Ala Moana neighborhood.

- RTW Travel Guide
- 30Traveler.com

Currently in - Hawaii.

Post subject: Re: Any Hawaii based vegans who can answer some questions?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:53 am 
WRETCHED

I'm not a Hawaiian ppker but I've know a few people have been. Ala Moana looks to be on Oahu?

I visited Hawaii a few years ago and found that Oahu wasn't much different than any other American city/area. It looks like there is a Whole Foods not too far from where you will be staying.

How long are you going to be in Hawaii? I don't know the requirements (or if it still exists) but if you are able to get a Hawaii resident card, it should save you a ton of money as Hawaii charges a premium for tourists. You might want to look into this.

The only difference I found for Hawaii is it is expensive, which is what you would expect from an island in the South Pacific where nearly everything is shipped in. Unless there are vast wheat fields in Hawaii (I'm doubtful), bread is probably going to be pricey. If you are going to due military assignment, then I'd recommend the Commissary. Otherwise, I'd do what you do in any other US city, check the local grocery stores and what not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:08 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hm. We lived in Hawaii for a few years. Down to Earth is a great HFS in Honolulu, but it is pretty far northeast of the tourist area (whereas Ala Moana is a bit west of Waikiki). It definitely isn't in walking distance from Ala Moana. I'm jealous there is Whole Foods there now!!

We haven't lived there since 2009, so hopefully there will be even more options now! There is of course a lot you CAN walk to, and just a quick search looks like there is way more veg in Honolulu than there was when we lived on Oahu. Good luck finding some walking distance bread :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:28 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I love Down to Earth, but it is really pricey compared to other HFS in the area.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:24 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thanks for the replies folks. Yes at least there is a Wholefoods not too far away. I think it's around 5 miles from the apartment. It looks like I may have access to a car while I'm there after all and if that works out it'll certainly make things easier.

- RTW Travel Guide
- 30Traveler.com

Currently in - Hawaii.