| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

creep wrote:
This bakery in my husband's hometown has added a few vegan items to their cafe menu, along with some not so great, but edible vegan baked goods. I was checking out their menu to see if it was worth stopping in for lunch today, and their vegan breakfast plate (mostly bread and spreads) comes with a side of honey. Now I'm extremely distrusting of their desserts too...

Uh oh, this would worry me too. Maybe ask about it politely? If they haven't considered that honey isn't vegan you might be able to clue them in and they can sub with something else.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kilgore trout wrote:
creep wrote:
This bakery in my husband's hometown has added a few vegan items to their cafe menu, along with some not so great, but edible vegan baked goods. I was checking out their menu to see if it was worth stopping in for lunch today, and their vegan breakfast plate (mostly bread and spreads) comes with a side of honey. Now I'm extremely distrusting of their desserts too...

Uh oh, this would worry me too. Maybe ask about it politely? If they haven't considered that honey isn't vegan you might be able to clue them in and they can sub with something else.

I should email. We don't ever really go in there, but sometimes our friends from that town will bring over cakes and stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:00 pm 
Semen Strong

FreeFoods NYC puts honey and bee pollen in their vegan drinks. Its listed on the board, so I guess at least you're on notice. But every time I said that honey wasn't vegan the people behind the counter would look confused by the question. Their corporate answer was that everyone defines vegan differently and many vegans eat honey, so they stood by their decision to call it vegan. They also refused to sub in agave or maple syrup, so that was special. Its an $11 smoothie - just give me a touch of maple syrup!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/freefoods-nyc-new-york?start=40

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:23 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Tofulish wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
I fly back from Vienna with a suitcase that is almost all processed vegan food (hello Tartex and Bacon Cheddar Cheezely). No one has ever said anything. I've probably just been lucky. I think enforcement is so dependent on whom you happen to catch.

depends if you're doing hand luggage only though, I think? It's all good if you're putting things in the hold, but when carrying things onto the plane in your handbag or whatevs it can be a problem. But agreed it can depend on luck and the airport in question!

You are right that checked luggage is more closely monitored, but there are limits to what you can bring over in your checked luggage as well - as lycophyte says - because people want to avoid invasive species, but also raw milk cheeses, sausage and processed meats. Hence the beagle at JFK. I really just want to rub his ears and tickle his tummy but that would probably get me a bit in Club Fed.

International PPKer meetups are the best. Such good snack hauls. ::mad love to Veg-Eric, who drove across the continent with a pallet of Speculoos::

Oh! See, I've never travelled outwith the EU (and didn't think of anything vegan being possible contraband! - I know that when Meggs brought me daiya she wrote all over it NON DAIRY NON DAIRY!!! hahaha.)

I want to meet a wee Beagle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 pm 
Semen Strong

If you would like to see how incredibly cute a customs beagle looks while working, may I suggest clicking this: http://www.fogcityjournal.com/wordpress ... oodstuffs/

And this is what it looks like when one of them retires from the service.

Beagles know how to celebrate one's last day at a job.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

Tofulish wrote:
They also refused to sub in agave or maple syrup, so that was special. Its an $11 smoothie - just give me a touch of maple syrup!

My pet peeve is smoothie places that refuse to modify or sub things. I'm locked in a death match with a friend who used to work at Jugo Juice over whether Jugo Juice or Booster Juice is superior (really the answer is neither because I can make a better smoothie at home, but that's beside the point). Booster Juice will at least attempt to make any smoothie on the menu without dairy milk/frozen yoghurt. Jugo Juice will cross themselves and give you the stink-eye if you even ask. Seriously, guys? Smoothies are not delicate baked goods. One substitution isn't going to Ruin Everything. You can throw pretty much anything in your Vita-Mixes and it will come out as slushy liquid.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:42 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Tofulish wrote:
Its an $11 smoothie - just give me a touch of maple syrup!

Holy moly! Is it gold-infused?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 pm 
Semen Strong

No, but its made in NYC midtown in a froofy and slightly pretentious restaurant

Here is the menu: http://freefoodsnyc.com/pdfs/delivery.pdf

The Beelicious is marked as vegan: Banana, Peanut Butter, Hemp Seed, Bee Pollen, Raw Honey, Coconut Water. In fairness, its only $10, but you can add a list of $2.50 supplements like spirulina and maca

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:56 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

linanil wrote:
Which reminds me, I was flying to see Pandawithcookie and I had a couple tartex's in my bag. They pulled me to the side, looked at it and asked me if it was cat food. Then a supervisor came over and said "oh I know that stuff, it is ok" and they let me keep it!

Good times!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
No, but its made in NYC midtown in a froofy and slightly pretentious restaurant

Here is the menu: http://freefoodsnyc.com/pdfs/delivery.pdf

The Beelicious is marked as vegan: Banana, Peanut Butter, Hemp Seed, Bee Pollen, Raw Honey, Coconut Water. In fairness, its only $10, but you can add a list of $2.50 supplements like spirulina and maca

$10 smoothie at a joint called free food. Possibly more offensive than the $10 cashew milk they sell a wf.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 pm 
Semen Strong

Well, its free as in free from additives, preservatives and GMOs.

Its good - they have really good raw and vegan food, including a good tempeh reuben. If you're in mid-town its one of a very limited list of vegan options that deliver to offices, esp if your office uses Seamlessweb. The vegan includes honey thing is just a pet peeve :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:18 pm 
Mediocre Tart

$10 for a forkin' drink. Bloody hell.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 pm 
Semen Strong

We had a small vegan cafe in our town and they made green juices etc, and she charged about $8 -$9 a juice, because she was using organic produce etc., and I know she wasn't making a big margin (she had to close). Not defending it, but I can see a $10 organic juice or smoothie more than I can see a $14 alcoholic cocktail, which costs pennies to make.

I feel like vegan food that in NYC (well, away from the East Village and NYU areas) is so pricey. The prices are even higher at Pure and One Lucky Duck (Pure's take out arm). But you can get a cheaper smoothie at Jamba Juice! http://www.jambajuice.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:01 am 
WRETCHED

interrobang?! wrote:
$10 for a forkin' drink. Bloody hell.

There is a place in DC (that closed up due to not paying their taxes and then asked people to donate to help them pay the taxes) that had drinks up to $14, maybe even more. It was the most insane thing I ever saw. Their food was good and reasonably priced but no way I was ordering a smoothie there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
If you would like to see how incredibly cute a customs beagle looks while working, may I suggest clicking this: http://www.fogcityjournal.com/wordpress ... oodstuffs/

This makes me so happy!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I emailed about the honey thing and got a response super fast:

Quote:
Thank you Holly, yes, I understand and was already considering leaving the honey off the plate since it is one of those controversial topics among vegans. I primarily eat a Vegan diet myself (though have been Vegetarian for 18 years).
As for all our Vegan dishes and pastries: We do not include honey in anything vegan ever for this reason.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention,
best wishes,

I don't think the controversy is "among vegans," but at least she already knows what's up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:34 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:

AHHHHHH! BEAGLE BRIGADE!!!!! <3

i hate that you cant pet the sniff dogs at the airport when you see them. i mean i totally understand why but whenever i see them i practically squee out loud DOGGIE!!!!!
ive never seen an airport beagle though. i dont think i would be able to control myself.

usually i see GSD's which im able to control my squee a little more for cause they look so official.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 am 
WRETCHED

I love the beagles, I so need that job.

And on the Paleo topic, I ran across someone who said the Paleo diet isn't a low carb diet (despite everyone I know who treated it as such) and then proceeded to tout the health benefits of the Paleo diet citing articles on low carb diets. I don't think you get it both ways.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:00 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

LOL blog theme of the day: "Nearly Meatless Mondays"

Like Meatless Mondays, except missing the point entirely

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:04 am 
WRETCHED

I went to google nearly meatless mondays and I found a cooking class "for omnivores and vegetarians alike!" that teaches people how to cook vegetarian and nearly vegetarian meals.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 am 
Grandfathered In

I enjoy 10%-Less-Meat Mondays.

It's really making a difference.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I mean you can't have lentil soup without at least a couple pieces of bacon in it right? For the nutrients.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:25 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Tofulish wrote:
FreeFoods NYC puts honey and bee pollen in their vegan drinks. Its listed on the board, so I guess at least you're on notice. But every time I said that honey wasn't vegan the people behind the counter would look confused by the question. Their corporate answer was that everyone defines vegan differently and many vegans eat honey, so they stood by their decision to call it vegan. They also refused to sub in agave or maple syrup, so that was special. Its an $11 smoothie - just give me a touch of maple syrup!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/freefoods-nyc-new-york?start=40

Wowowow. I always feel a bit extravagant forking over ~$4 for a smoothie at school. At least the ones with/without dairy are marked as such.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:46 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Limone wrote:
LOL blog theme of the day: "Nearly Meatless Mondays"
Well, yeah. Because a totally meatless Monday would just be CRAZY.
FootFace wrote:
I enjoy 10%-Less-Meat Mondays.

It's really making a difference.
Are you sure this is even safe? It sounds pretty extreme and sort of irresponsible. You have a family to consider!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:49 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

The bakery I used to work at (thank the job-quitting deities that I no longer do) has started offering a vegan option for lunch. She already had rotating soups and salads, some of which were vegan anyway. So the point is, I got all excited because she started offering seitan sloppy joes and thought, 'Oh, yay, a vegan option for lunch!', but then she goes and offers them every single day. Which, whatever, if she had a set menu, but since the rest of the menu is rotating, why won't you rotate your vegan option? I don't want a seitan sloppy joe every single day. Maybe someday I will want a tofu sandwich! She did the same exact thing when I was baking there...all I was allowed to bake were the same two things every single week. Dude! People like variety! Even forking McDonald's, which sells the same goddamn cheeseburgers they've always sold, has rotating special options!

I know I shouldn't complain about there being vegan sloppy joes for me to eat, but I guess this is more of a personal pet peeve with this particular woman and her inability to function as a logical human being.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 10604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186 ... 425  Next