| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #1** Your Choice
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

allularpunk wrote:
rhelune - ah, yes, I was stupidly thinking about those one price shipping boxes that we use over here and didn't compute that, duh, you probably can't use those internationally. That omelet looks fantastic!

I think you can! It's like $30 for a medium box I think. It's more $$ for certain countries.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Last night I made the Sherry Glazed Mushrooms with Chard Quiona (or something like that heh) from Quick Fix Vegan.

It was pretty good! Nothing spectacular, but a good, quick, weeknight dinner. Took about 25 minutes.

I did make some changes. I always do. First off, I did not use Sherry, but White Wine. So really, it was White Wine glazed mushrooms. Also, I added in a can of cannineli beans (which was a suggestion the author made to make it more hearty). I think it would be awesome with fresh thyme which was reccomended, but I used dried. My thyme plant is deadsies.

It was one of those funny dishes that tasted meh right out of the pan, but after I forced myself to wait 10 minutes to eat, it was pretty damn good. Not pretty (no pic) but good.

My partner is out of the country on business, and he HATES shrooms, which is why I made this. So next time he is gone, I think I will do it again.

Oh, edited to add, this was a really low calorie, high protein dish. I ate 2.5 servings without feeling bad at all (I do watch my calorie intake)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:50 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

ATTN: Love Child (and anyone else who cares what recipes I like from ED&BV)

Things I love:

Warm & Cheesy White Bean Dip
One Wild Chick Soup
Puréed Spicy Sweet Potato & Peanut Stew with Chickpeas
White Bean Spread
Blackened Tofu
Broccoli Cashew Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry (the sauce from this is now my go-to teriyaki sauce)
Cumin Lime Tofu
Garlicky Broccoli, Corn & Bean Burritos
Lemon Garlic Pasta
Lemony Cashew-Basil Pesto on Pasta
Palak Soyabina Panira (looooove)
Polenta Casserole (also looooove)
Savory French (Puy) Lentils (I always make this with brown lentils and it is SO easy and awesome, great in salads, too)
Sesame ime Soba Noodles with Shiitake Mushrooms & Snow Peas (another favorite, this page is so dirty in my book, haha)
Coconut-Lime Basmati Rice
Double Carob Cashew Cookies (except I use regular chocolate chips and cocoa powder and AP flour instead of spelt)
Lemon Poppy Seed Crackle Cookies (my favorite cookies of all time, again, I use AP flour instead of spelt)

Things that I like:

Smoky Avocado Sauce
Cocoa-Coconut Chili
Goddess Garbanzos
Chickpea Sensation Patties
Gimme Chimis
Olive Oyl Pasta
Quinoa Chickpea Confetti Casserole
Thai Chick-Un Pizza
Cinnamon Lime Quinoa with Apricots & Almonds
Potato Squashers

Looking through this book makes me want to cook from it again, and I realize there are so many things I haven't even tried because I love the ones I already have made so much. Hope that helps!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

First let me say that I have used happy herbivore & happy herbivore everyday quite a bit and I like about 70% of the recipes even though sometimes they make me laugh because they're not really recipes as much as "edamame + onion". So I'm really bummed that most of the recipes I've tried out of Happy Herbivore Abroad so far weren't good.

Lemon-Balsamic Chickpeas (p. 48) - This was nice, but needed salt. Would be good as a side dish.

Nona's chickpeas (p. 51) - Tasted nice, again needed salt. Really liked the raisins in it.

Hummus (p. 195) - At first I thought it was okay but after one spoonful I couldn't eat it. I think it's the cumin, is it normal to put cumin into hummus? It was new to me anyway. It was also very dry.

Lentil taco "meat" (p. 43) - This was horrible. I had to throw it out. It was just lentil mush that didn't tast like much except ketchup and chili powder.

Cherry clafoutis (p. 152) - The texture was off and I couldnt get it out of the pan, but it tasted good.

Spicy Mustard Chickpeas (p. 44) - No pictures because I mostly burnt them. They didn't really taste like mustard, more like chickpeas + 1.5 tablespoons hot sauce.

Sunshine muffin (p. 250) - They were super sweet and tasted nice, except when I could taste the lemon zest, it didn't fit. I'd also leave out the vanilla next time. Vanilla & pineapple together taste a bit strange to me.

German Lentil Soup (p. 14) - Tasted good but needed more salt/seasoning

Man, I really don't know if I'll try any more recipes out of this book, especially since I feel like half of them are either already in the other two books or include alcohol.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

Here's my final photo from Betty Goes Vegan.

Vegan Venison with Cranberry and Wine Sauce, and Sesame Buttered Broccoli

The "meat" here is Gardein Beefless Tips. I think seitan would work well, too. This was by far the most amazing thing I've tasted in a long time. The marinade and sauce are so flavorful! I reccommend.

The sauce on the broccoli is nice, too, but it was so overshadowed by the sauce on the meat, that when I make this meal again, I will just steam the broccoli and dip each bite into the meat sauce. I would also add a baked potato with sour cream, because that would be amazing with some of the cranberry wine sauce, too.

OMNOMNOMNOM!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yum - I've been on the fence with Betty Goes Vegan, but you might have persuaded me.

Tonight we had Smoky Sweet Potato Southwest Shepherd's Pie (Vegan on the Cheap). It was fine. Not particularly memorable, but it was fine. I probably won't make it again because it's a touch too spicy for the kids, while on the other hand it wasn't good enough for me to want to make as a separate meal for adults only.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Another winner from Vegan on the Cheap. I ♥ Big Pepperoni Stick. My first vegan pizza. It's special cuz I also handmade the crust and sauce too :)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That venison is now on my list. I can't get past the Bambi name, so I'd not have tried otherwise.

If you want tasty low fat hummus, try Isa's AFR recipe. She uses chickpea liquid to thin. I like it with cumin, but the other variations are tasty, especially dill and pizza. I love spreading on tortilla for quesadilla.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

@VeganInBerlin, sorry your 1st week is off to a rough start :( I do like your black & white polka dot bowl! The nona's chickpeas do look tasty though and fancy with your parsley and lemon garnish!

@Miss Jayme Kat, that cranberry sauce sounds tasty. I have that book checked out of the library, I'll have to look at that one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

lavawitch wrote:
That venison is now on my list. I can't get past the Bambi name, so I'd not have tried otherwise.

I know! I thought that was weird that it was called venison instead of just beef, but maybe that's what it was in the real Betty Crocker book. It has inspired me to want to try other exotic vegan meats to escape the boredom of calling them all faux beef, chicken, and turkey instead of tofu, seitan, and tempeh, though. I'm pretty sure I have books with vegan frog legs and escargot in them. Vegan unicorn would be cool!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:45 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

allularpunk wrote:

Things I love:

One Wild Chick Soup
White Bean Spread
Blackened Tofu
Broccoli Cashew Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry (the sauce from this is now my go-to teriyaki sauce)
Cumin Lime Tofu
Lemon Garlic Pasta
Savory French (Puy) Lentils (I always make this with brown lentils and it is SO easy and awesome, great in salads, too)
Sesame ime Soba Noodles with Shiitake Mushrooms & Snow Peas (another favorite, this page is so dirty in my book, haha)
Double Carob Cashew Cookies (except I use regular chocolate chips and cocoa powder and AP flour instead of spelt)
Lemon Poppy Seed Crackle Cookies (my favorite cookies of all time, again, I use AP flour instead of spelt)

Things that I like:

Smoky Avocado Sauce
Cocoa-Coconut Chili
Goddess Garbanzos
Gimme Chimis
Olive Oyl Pasta
Thai Chick-Un Pizza
Potato Squashers

Looking through this book makes me want to cook from it again, and I realize there are so many things I haven't even tried because I love the ones I already have made so much. Hope that helps!

Whoa, thanks! I'm taking notes, there are so many recipes I want to try too. I think I'll try the sesame soba noodles today!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

bookwormbethie wrote:
@VeganInBerlin, sorry your 1st week is off to a rough start :( I do like your black & white polka dot bowl! The nona's chickpeas do look tasty though and fancy with your parsley and lemon garnish!

I love this bowl. I had two but I broke one recently... On the plus side I almost ate the whole clafoutis in one sitting out of the pan, so at least the unhealthy one was really worth it.
I'm a bit annoyed because the cookbook looks used now, I cant cook so many recipes out of a cookbook and keep it clean, so even if I think about giving it away I really cant sell it anymore. Well, at least the book got really nice pictures so I can use it as inspiration :)

Quote:
If you want tasty low fat hummus, try Isa's AFR recipe. She uses chickpea liquid to thin. I like it with cumin, but the other variations are tasty, especially dill and pizza. I love spreading on tortilla for quesadilla.

I like the AFR one, but I like the fatfreevegan one most, I think.
Is adding cumin to a lot of foods a tex-mex thing or typical in American food? It's everywhere in the HH books, so I was wondering if it's just her preference.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganinBerlin wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I love this bowl. I had two but I broke one recently... On the plus side I almost ate the whole clafoutis in one sitting out of the pan, so at least the unhealthy one was really worth it.
I'm a bit annoyed because the cookbook looks used now, I cant cook so many recipes out of a cookbook and keep it clean, so even if I think about giving it away I really cant sell it anymore. Well, at least the book got really nice pictures so I can use it as inspiration :)

well, maybe you could donate it to your library? they might not care so much about the appearance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:39 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

bookwormbethie wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

well, maybe you could donate it to your library? they might not care so much about the appearance.

Or swap it with someone here! There is a cookbook swapping thread somewhere in the cookbook subforum.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:44 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Peruvian Inspired Sweet Potato Chowder from Vegan World Feast.

This was good! The manfriend ate two bowls of it. That's the first time I've seen him get seconds of anything, so I feel like that's a big deal. He also kind of raved about it while he was eating it, and it has blended silken tofu in it and he ate and loved it anyway. Success! I also really liked it, though I thought it needed a bit more heat and salt. Also, it makes a TON, so I will be eating this for awhile. I guess I could freeze some. We'll see.

As for the stupid confusing-ness of the recipe: First off, I hate it when recipes call for things that are already cooked. I don't think about it when I'm doing my planning (my fault, I know), and then it takes, like, three hours to make dinner. This recipe called for cooked brown rice, sweet potatoes, and yukon gold potatoes. There was no reason the sweet potatoes couldn't be cooked in the broth, so I did that to save time. Also, in the directions, it says to add bell pepper, and there is no bell pepper in the ingredients list. There is, however, black pepper in the list, so I assume that's what it means. Stupid unclear instructions making it harder for me cook than it should be!

ETA: 3 hours for one pot of soup! Also, the mass amounts of dishes dirtied was incredible. Good thing this soup was tasty. Also, you can't tell from my stupid instagram photo, but it had lots of yummy chunky potatoes and peas and corn. Better photos will be posted on my blog at the end of the the week.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:31 am 
Saggy Butt

VeganinBerlin wrote:
First let me say that I have used happy herbivore & happy herbivore everyday quite a bit and I like about 70% of the recipes even though sometimes they make me laugh because they're not really recipes as much as "edamame + onion". So I'm really bummed that most of the recipes I've tried out of Happy Herbivore Abroad so far weren't good.

Lemon-Balsamic Chickpeas (p. 48) - This was nice, but needed salt. Would be good as a side dish.

Nona's chickpeas (p. 51) - Tasted nice, again needed salt. Really liked the raisins in it.

Hummus (p. 195) - At first I thought it was okay but after one spoonful I couldn't eat it. I think it's the cumin, is it normal to put cumin into hummus? It was new to me anyway. It was also very dry.

Lentil taco "meat" (p. 43) - This was horrible. I had to throw it out. It was just lentil mush that didn't tast like much except ketchup and chili powder.

Cherry clafoutis (p. 152) - The texture was off and I couldnt get it out of the pan, but it tasted good.

Spicy Mustard Chickpeas (p. 44) - No pictures because I mostly burnt them. They didn't really taste like mustard, more like chickpeas + 1.5 tablespoons hot sauce.

Sunshine muffin (p. 250) - They were super sweet and tasted nice, except when I could taste the lemon zest, it didn't fit. I'd also leave out the vanilla next time. Vanilla & pineapple together taste a bit strange to me.

German Lentil Soup (p. 14) - Tasted good but needed more salt/seasoning

Man, I really don't know if I'll try any more recipes out of this book, especially since I feel like half of them are either already in the other two books or include alcohol.

Thanks for your review. I've been slowly cooking through this, too... although adding salt is nothing one can't easily fix (I tend to like my stuff less salty anyhow). I liked the lemon-balsamic chickpeas but I subbed tomato paste+stevia for the ketchup and added chopped steamed broccoli. The other chickpea dishes have been on my hit list. The bok choy delight was very good, though.

PS. I don't like cumin in my hummus either!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 am 
Saggy Butt

Love Child wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Things I love:

One Wild Chick Soup
White Bean Spread
Blackened Tofu
Cumin Lime Tofu
Lemon Garlic Pasta

Things that I like:

Smoky Avocado Sauce
Cocoa-Coconut Chili
Goddess Garbanzos
Gimme Chimis
Olive Oyl Pasta
Thai Chick-Un Pizza
Potato Squashers

Whoa, thanks! I'm taking notes, there are so many recipes I want to try too. I think I'll try the sesame soba noodles today!

Nice list!

I can totally recommend the Thai Coconut Corn Stew. I have been meaning to try her Roasted Red Pepper & Almond Hummus, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quote:
Thanks for your review. I've been slowly cooking through this, too... although adding salt is nothing one can't easily fix (I tend to like my stuff less salty anyhow). I liked the lemon-balsamic chickpeas but I subbed tomato paste+stevia for the ketchup and added chopped steamed broccoli. The other chickpea dishes have been on my hit list. The bok choy delight was very good, though.

PS. I don't like cumin in my hummus either!

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I should include the salt thing, actually. I feel all her recipes are low on salt & seasoning in general, so normally I know I need to adjust. I just wanted to "properly" follow recipes for once.
Can you recommend something beside the bok choy delight so far?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:45 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

saveur wrote:
Love Child wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Things I love:

One Wild Chick Soup
White Bean Spread
Blackened Tofu
Cumin Lime Tofu
Lemon Garlic Pasta

Things that I like:

Smoky Avocado Sauce
Cocoa-Coconut Chili
Goddess Garbanzos
Gimme Chimis
Olive Oyl Pasta
Thai Chick-Un Pizza
Potato Squashers

Nice list!

I can totally recommend the Thai Coconut Corn Stew. I have been meaning to try her Roasted Red Pepper & Almond Hummus, though.

I've made that hummus! It was great, the whole hummus chapter is just awesome.

Following one of Allularpunks recommendations, I made the sesame lime soba noodles with mushrooms and peas today. I couldn't find shiitake mushrooms, so I used button mushrooms instead. Also skipped the snow peas, because those mofos are expensive (I'm not a big fan anyway). I used only two tablespoons of agave in the sauce as well, I'm pretty sensitive to sweetness.

It was absolutely delicious. So damn good. So flavorful. At first I thought It would be too much sauce, but I let it sit for a while and then the noodles soaked it all up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:55 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yay!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oh man those noodles look tasty! is this from ED&BV or LTEV?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

bookwormbethie wrote:
oh man those noodles look tasty! is this from ED&BV or LTEV?

ED&BV!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:44 am 
Saggy Butt

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Thanks. I wasn't sure if I should include the salt thing, actually. I feel all her recipes are low on salt & seasoning in general, so normally I know I need to adjust. I just wanted to "properly" follow recipes for once.
Can you recommend something beside the bok choy delight so far?

Sorry, I haven't made anything else yet (other than the lemon-balsamic chickpeas). The instructions for the bok choy delight are really confusing though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

For today's sweet treat I have Sweet Vegan's fruit pockets.

Before glaze.
After glaze.

First of all, the author assumes everyone has a stand mixer, and doesn't offer instructions if you don't. She mixes everything in her big mixer, it seems. But my dough came out nicely even with my lowly hand mixer. I have only made dough by hand with a pastry cutter so I was glad it worked ok. I should look into using my food processor in the future, though.

Anyway, the instructions for the fruit filling made way, way too much. Even though I used a three inch cutter instead of a four inch I made about 14 pockets and I had lots of wasted fruit. I would have had way more if I had done the blueberries like she suggests.

I tried an apple one (before glazing) and it was pretty bland. If I make them again I'll add cinnamon or something to the apples. I had a strawberry one after glazing, and it was pretty yummy. The extra sweetness was good because the pastry is very basic and not sweet at all. I feel like the glaze could have used a touch of citrus or something, but that's just how I roll. Also threw out lots of glaze that was left.

Last edited by Moon on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Great, now I want a strawberry fruit pocket. Also, I hate it it when authors don't give alternative instructions for if you don't have a stand mixer, because I'm never going to have one because money.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next