| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: low protein diet for cat (kidney issues)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:34 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Mar's vet has put him on a low protein diet. I bought him $$$$$$ Canidae at the vet, I can tell he is not going to like it...He ate a bit but does not care for it. What other choices are out on the market - it needs to be wet food. Please help.

Post subject: Re: low protein diet for cat (kidney issues)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What about BFF cat food? I hate the packaging, but my cat loves it, and it is a best seller at my vet bc it's all gravy. I looked on their website but can't find nutritional info. Also Tiki Cat - lots of their flavors include rice, so taste yummy but less protein.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:29 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

You should ask your vet about other prescription renal diet foods. I know my cat liked the science diet one when she had renal issues. If kidney disease in cats is anything like it is in people (which it might not be) then there are other things besides just low protein that need to be balanced in the food, so a prescription diet might be your best bet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

yeah, besides protein, you need to watch the sodium and phosphorous levels. my cat is picky picky picky, and she's been doing well on royal canin LP and a rotation of organix turkey and spinach, solid gold chicken/turkey/whitefish/liver (the blue can), and some of the mature-adult science diet foods. sometimes she'll eat the science diet k/d, but she'd never eat it as her primary food. she was diagnosed about two and a half years ago, with a creatinine level of about 2.9, and she held fast at that level for the first year. things have started progressing recently, so i've been trying to make the non-prescription foods a smaller part of her diet, but we went through everything with her vets (she's seen all three of them at the practice i take her to because of other things), and they said that if i have to tempt her with regular foods, those are o.k.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:39 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

the thing is, Mar's results are not in, the vet just said feed him k-d (sorry - about the mix up in names). i am looking into low phosphorus brands of food. currently he eats merrick, and it is on a lot of kidney diet lists as being okay. i cannot find much info on the back of the can as far as mineral count goes.

i want to talk to my vet more, he is great with mar but treats me like an idiot sometimes. yesterday he gave me a diet sheet and said 'this is for felines, felines mean cat'...am i that stupid???? :/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:54 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

this list might help you.

http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:31 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

thank you! this is going to be so confusing...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

It's a lot of information to sift through - but you'll figure out what works. I really fought with myself over giving my dog a prescription diet but the onslaught of information available got me flustered so I stuck with RX food and she's done really well. I know with cats it is a bit different but general consensus is that phosphorus levels are more important than the food being low protein.

If you're curious about any particular nutrients that aren't listed on a can, don't be afraid to email the company. The bigger ones are usually pretty good about answering questions.

Even if Mar's bloodwork comes back with kidney levels being fine, kidney disease is so incredibly common in older cats a low protein/low phosphorus diet as a preventative is not a terrible idea for an older kitty.

Of the rx diets available I think the most common are k/d, medi-cap reduced protein and now there's a purina veterinary diet reduced protein. The purina diets are newer but try all of them - if I remember correctly cats responded well to the taste of purina diets during testing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Good luck. I hate the prescription diets too, but my kitty Luna is on ID for having stomach issues and a history of pancreatitis. I know the ingredient lists read like crepe, but they are supposed to be balanced for their needs and many pets do very well on them.

Best of luck to you and your furry kid. My vet was incredibly helpful in evaluating alternatives, maybe yours will be too?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:33 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I got him some Hills brand last night (non-perscription) to mix it up with the k-d. The Hills stuff had the lowest protein and phosphorus out of the 20+ cans my boyfriend, the sales clerk and I read...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:55 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

Mar's results came in - nothing is showing up in his urine...The vet would like to see him in another week or so. I am out of the k/d, since Mar dies not have kidney issues I was looking into the g/d formula...Also I bought him some Halo food - it is low in everything, on average like the k/d.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'm confused; if he doesn't have kidney issues, what are you trying to treat by altering his diet?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 am 

acr wrote:
i'm confused; if he doesn't have kidney issues, what are you trying to treat by altering his diet?

My understanding is that the kidney diet was being used because kidney problems were suspected, but it took a while to get tests back to disprove that. G/d is for aging cats in general and to promote heart health - a preventative diet as opposed to a diet to treat a problem.

How's Mar doing in general?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

acr wrote:

I am confused as well. The vet just said he needed k/d, that at his age issues come up. His blood/urine work came back as fine, however he wants to retest him after eating k/d...I did not get to talk to him the other day, so he just left a voice mail saying Mar is okay.

Moon wrote:

My understanding is that the kidney diet was being used because kidney problems were suspected, but it took a while to get tests back to disprove that. G/d is for aging cats in general and to promote heart health - a preventative diet as opposed to a diet to treat a problem.

How's Mar doing in general?

Mar is fine, I think the steroid injection (for his gums) has started wearing off because he is not ravenous. I am thinking if Mar needs to be on any special diet it should be g/d...not k/d if he has no kidney issues. I will keep up feeding him Halo (which sucks because the freakin' store had dog food mixed in with cat, I bought him some dog food which will go to my mom's dogs), Science Hill Mature and some Maverick. He was eating a mix of Fancy Feast (which, used to be better quality), Maverick and other high end brands...I eliminated the FF...

The vet was really hard-core about him eating the k/d, getting more blood work done...I think he is really into blood work. My mom had to get a bunch of blood work done on her cat repeatedly for a UT prob. He is the best vet in the area...However last weeks bill was $613, next weeks bill probably $100+...His cat food will now be about $35-$40 a week compared to $25*. The boyfriend and I are eating a lot of rice and beans lately!

*I do not mind buying it for him, if he needs it, but I really hate wasting $.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:43 pm 

The thing is, even if his blood came back normal there could still be early stages of kidney disease. Retesting after being on k/d might show improvement in levels, even if they're still technically showing as "normal" now. And k/d is still an acceptable maintanence diet for older cats because kidney disease is almost an inevitability as they get older and the food can still be used as a preventative.

But talk to the vet about what you're seeing and discuss what you think makes more sense for his diet. Sometimes vets don't explain their intentions really well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:54 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Moon wrote:

But talk to the vet about what you're seeing and discuss what you think makes more sense for his diet. Sometimes vets don't explain their intentions really well.

I feel rushed at the vet. I am going to print out all of the cat food charts and some questions, come prepared!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:59 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

what tests do they give for kidney issues? blood or urine? i called to make a check up and they said blood...also my boyfriend said the vet wants to see him next week (check up) and 2 weeks after that. is this excessive? again the vet said there were no problems.

this reminds me of when mar had allergies and we were bringing him in bi-weekly for shots, till i started bathing him and working on controlling them myself...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:00 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i think most vets draw both, but blood tests provide more information, and i think they're the basis for most treatment decisions. urinalysis will give you an idea of whether or not the kidneys are still concentrating urine, and it'll tell you whether there's an infection in the bladder or kidneys, which can be especially dangerous if renal function is already compromised. but generally the BUN and creatinine levels are taken from the bloodwork, and those are the most definitive markers for the kidneys.

i do think it's a little weird that your vet wants to schedule so many follow-ups for a cat that you've been told is well. my lady will be 20 in a week and has definite renal insufficiency, but i take her in once or twice a year for general geriatric visits, and they call with her results, and that's it. the only time she's had to see anyone more than once in a month is when she was having neuro issues, and they drew blood most visits, but it's because she was on steroids and they can complicate kidney problems. i think you need to make your vet explain exactly what he or she is looking for. don't let them rush you or make you feel guilty about asking questions; you're responsible for your pet's health, and you have every right to ask for as much information as you want before you make any decisions about how you're going to take care of that pet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:35 am 

All I can figure is that Mar's blood showed levels on the high end of normal and the vet wants to see if there's improvement with the diet change. But when you book the follow up, tell the front office staff you have lots of questions for the vet, and see if they have any recommendations for when to book the appt to make sure you have extra time.

Bringing in printouts of the information you have is a good idea so he can see what you are referencing, and if you feel like you're being rushed, tell him that you want a copy of all tests thus far and that you'll be going elsewhere for a second opinion. You can also see if he will set up a time to talk on the phone quickly about diet - many vets will do this if they are legitimately in a time crunch (super swamped day or an emergency appt has arrived)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:31 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

they told me morning is the best time in case something goes wrong? um...so i will book a appointment for next week and see what is up. if i do not get answers i was thinking of going to another vet with his paper work - so ya good idea!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:46 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Sorry your baby is sick. Check out "catinfo.org". There is very detailed information on diet and kidney disease. The more you know the better you can decide what treatment you feel is best. Also, what diet will work best. Hope all goes well.