| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #1** Your Choice
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:50 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I tried another new recipe last night from Quick Fix Vegan. The Sesame Ginger Seitan with snow peas. She offered a lot of sub options, and I used them! Tempeh for the seitan, added in some eggplant, red bell peppers, and shallot in place of half of the green onions (working with what I had). Kept the sauce the same, but made MORE of it.

It was good. Again, not spectacular, but a very tasty, easy weeknight meal. Next time I will add more sauce if I use tempeh, since it soaked it all up super fast.

Here is a not great pic. It looks much better on my instagram. I use imgur for my gallery, and I think it makes stuff blurry. boo.

If you guys are on instagram, there are a couple of hashtags for this challenge: #ppkcookbookchallenge #vegancookbookchallenge

Also, I have TWO copies of this book, I am looking possibly to do a swap if anyone is interested. It's a good book.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Looks yum chicki.

I'm so disappointed. All my food tastes of nothing today thanks to a head cold. I really wanted to make cookies tonight but no point if they are just going to taste like cardboard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:
Great, now I want a strawberry fruit pocket. Also, I hate it it when authors don't give alternative instructions for if you don't have a stand mixer, because I'm never going to have one because money.

agreed, i can also add never going to have a vitamix either to that list ;)

p.s. i want a strawberry fruit pocket too!
bummer about all the leftover fruit and no more pastry dough. maybe you could stir it into oatmeal for breakfast?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That EDBV red pepper almond hummus is the best stuff ever. Only a little hyperbole! My mom and I overdid it because we always had a batch in the fridge for a while. Makes the best wraps and sandwiches. Yum, yum.

The white bean and thyme and black bean and orange are great too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Chicki wrote:
I tried another new recipe last night from Quick Fix Vegan. The Sesame Ginger Seitan with snow peas. She offered a lot of sub options, and I used them! Tempeh for the seitan, added in some eggplant, red bell peppers, and shallot in place of half of the green onions (working with what I had). Kept the sauce the same, but made MORE of it.

It was good. Again, not spectacular, but a very tasty, easy weeknight meal. Next time I will add more sauce if I use tempeh, since it soaked it all up super fast.

that looks really good! i have yet to try tempeh but maybe i could try this dish with seitan. seeing this dish reminded me about how much i used to love take-out sesame chicken but not the poopsies it gave me :( which is why several years ago i stopped eating restaurant prepared chinese food all together and started making it at home. TMI but i'm not deleting it ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
Looks yum chicki.

I'm so disappointed. All my food tastes of nothing today thanks to a head cold. I really wanted to make cookies tonight but no point if they are just going to taste like cardboard.

get well soon! at least you can curl up in bed with some of your new cookbooks and pick out recipes to try once you are feeling better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

bookwormbethie wrote:
Chicki wrote:

that looks really good! i have yet to try tempeh but maybe i could try this dish with seitan. seeing this dish reminded me about how much i used to love take-out sesame chicken but not the poopsies it gave me :( which is why several years ago i stopped eating restaurant prepared chinese food all together and started making it at home. TMI but i'm not deleting it ;)

When I make tempeh, I always steam it first, then I brown the hell out of it before cooking. That gets rid of any bitterness. I loved the tempeh in this dish.

And don't ever delete posts about poo. ever.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Cajun Chickpea Cakes, and accompanying Vegan Mayo and Smoky Cajun Mayo from Everyday Happy Herbivore. First time I've made anything from this book, and possibly may be the last. Vegan Mayo was awful, the 2-3 T. Dijon mustard (I used 2) was totally overpowering. Tried adding extra agave to counteract it, but it didn't help. The Cajun mayo was slightly better, I used a commercial seasoning, instead of the author's blend, but still not a tasty topping. The Chickpea cakes were pretty awful, strangely seasoned, and mushy. I usually eat leftovers, even when I'm unimpressed with a recipe, but don't think that will happen with these.

The photos (including the chickpea cakes) in this book are gorgeous. However, my finished product did not resemble the photo at all - that always annoys me when I've followed a recipe exactly. I'll be checking to see if there's a thread for this book (or if anyone has any recommendations from this book, I'd love to hear them).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

No thread for EHH. Don't even go there. Try VegWeb or something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

Found the thread, it was helpful. Not interested in drama, just trying to determine if there's anything else worth trying in the book.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah I know, but it seems impossible for drama not to follow. It's a shame, but there we have it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:28 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Just a teaser

My house smells freaking amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG that looks amazing!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i did the pasta bake from CwTJ'sV...i needed comfort food, crappy - horrible day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Yesterday I made the Carrot and Roasted Bell Pepper Soup from Color Me Vegan. I had made this recipe once before and it was fine, but this time it turned out weird. :(

Possible culprits:
- the bell peppers: Last time I either used jarred red and yellow bell peppers or red ones I roasted myself. This time I used one yellow and one orange bell pepper, roasted two days prior. Do you have to use roasted bell peppers immediately after roasting? Do they not keep in the fridge? I think I'm gonna stick to jarred ones from now on...
- miso: I had to use a different miso than I usually do because my usual brand wasn't available. Maybe this miso is kind of weird?
- maybe my milk was too sweet?

The soup is edible, but I'm not really looking forward to the left-overs. I really liked this soup when I made it for the first time, so I'm quite disappointed!

And an update on the Hot and Sour Soup: I added soba to the left-overs on the next day. I picked soba because of the brown colour scheme and it went well together. I definitely prefer the soup with soba - yum, noodles!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:01 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Moon.... I'm coming to visit you right now!

I made the ginger and pear waffles in VWAV for breakfast. They were tricky. No matter now long I left them in they would have some kind of separation when I opened the iron so I had to open it super careful. They got nice and crispy when they cooled a bit though. I'm sure they would taste good if my tastebuds were actually doing their job right now. I topped them with kiwi, strawberries and maple syrup.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:28 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

zinnia wrote:
I made the Cajun Chickpea Cakes, and accompanying Vegan Mayo and Smoky Cajun Mayo from Everyday Happy Herbivore. First time I've made anything from this book, and possibly may be the last. Vegan Mayo was awful, the 2-3 T. Dijon mustard (I used 2) was totally overpowering. Tried adding extra agave to counteract it, but it didn't help. The Cajun mayo was slightly better, I used a commercial seasoning, instead of the author's blend, but still not a tasty topping. The Chickpea cakes were pretty awful, strangely seasoned, and mushy. I usually eat leftovers, even when I'm unimpressed with a recipe, but don't think that will happen with these.

The photos (including the chickpea cakes) in this book are gorgeous. However, my finished product did not resemble the photo at all - that always annoys me when I've followed a recipe exactly. I'll be checking to see if there's a thread for this book (or if anyone has any recommendations from this book, I'd love to hear them).

I like:
cinnamon bun smoothie
oatmeal cookie smoothie
Spinach & Artichoke Frittata
Greens Quiche
Spicy Orange Greens

i dont like:
p.chocolate smoothie (because despite what she says, it does taste like a pea smoothie..)
whole wheat drop
Fruit Crisp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:56 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

So today I cooked for the first time out of Leah Leneman's Vegan Cooking for One. I made the Irish stew with frozen tofu (although I just used regular tofu as I didn't have any frozen):

I probably wouldn't cook this dish for omnis as actually it was a pretty plain and simple looking dish with most of the flavour apart from the veg coming from yeast extract and marinated tofu. However, it was warming and quite tasty, which was just what I needed today!

The one thing that annoyed me is that preparing it is quite energy-intensive with a large number of stages (admittedly she does note this on the recipe page) and actually resulted in quite a basic stew despite the huge effort I put in! Also I doubled the amount of vegetable stock recommended as the volume in the recipe didn't even cover the vegetables in the saucepan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Chicki, sesame ginger tempeh looks really good. I like tempeh, but it does take some getting used to it.

Moon, those fruit pockets look amazing! I'm sorry they aren't very flavourful.

I managed to make WVF No-Knead Crusty Artisanal Bread without burning my fingers. Yay! Sadly, I misread the amount of salt as teaspoons instead of tablespoons, but I just put more salt into whatever I'm eating with the bread. It's very tasty, especially dipped into olive oil and salt.

I also made Traditional Style Vegan Pesto, the basic version, but I didn't take a photo of it. I didn't add the optional lemon juice, because, well, Bryanna loves lemon juice in excess for some reason, I don't. The pesto is really tasty. I usually don't add much oil to pesto (I use water to make it blendable), but I used the amount stated in the recipe. I think I'll be adding miso to every pesto I make from now on.

Allularpunk, I agree there are way too many steps. I used some shortcuts while making the bread because that's the point of no-knead bread. Your sweet potato soup looks delicious, but I'm not sure if I should make it.

Also, Bryanna really likes silken tofu. That's great, but she should mention alternatives for us who can't get it or find it way too expensive (I tried to make it at home, it ended in disaster, haven't tried since).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm fairly proud. I've made 5 recipes this week from VWAV. Not bad going for me really.

Made the curried tempeh mango salad sandwiches this evening.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

wow, daisychain you are on a roll. you've also inspired me to pick up my copy of VWaV and try to cook out of it more during the 2 week isa/terry challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I was actually surprised that I made that much to be honest! I will probably do some more out of it during the next fortnight too since I am using Vegan Brunch and I won't manage to get much in the way of lunches in it. I will probably do a few more soups because they are the handiest for lunches and it is just so darn cold here lately.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The carrot soup is tasty.

I make the Cajun baked fries all the time; so good. I'm a heat-o-phobe and the amount of cayenne is perfect even for me.

The tofu dill salad is one of my favorite things ever. And I like the Alfreda sauce, but it is definitely a strange list of ingredients. Works though! And, hmm. Blanking. The sundried tomato pesto and millet cakes. Plus the cookies and pancakes and waffles.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ooooh that carrot soup is good. I'm thinking of doing the butternut squash one on Monday. I remember really, really liking that and it being easy.

I might make those cajun fries tomorrow to go with my sandwich. I do love me some oven fries.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

rhelune, that bread looks amazing!

daisychain, you have inspired me to use VWAV for my Isa/Terry free weeks. So excited! I'm going to make Fronch Toast for the first time ever, Crazy.

As for me...

Egyptian Style Beans from WVF. These are just ok. They took less time than it stated to cook (1.5 hours rather than 2-2.5 hours), so that was great, but tasting it at the end left me feeling rather blah. I dumped a bunch more cumin, coriander, and salt into it, and that made it a little better. I also just mixed in the garnishes of cilantro, green onions, and lemon juice, which helped, too. I'm bummed that I didn't absolutely love everything I've made from this book and that I don't like her method of cooking. Oh well...just makes me more excited for next week!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next