| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will I die from the June heat? Or, best time to visit NYC?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I absolutely loved NYC when I visited in November, but I only got to spend about a day there. I'm turning 35 next year, so I decided that I want to spend a week(ish) in NYC for my 35th.

Now, my mom's family lives in the Poughkeepsie area, and she visits them for a good couple of weeks when she's on holiday, which is about June-time. So now I'm thinking about trying to make my trip coincide with hers so I can see her and the family for a couple of days before spending the week in the city.

My question to you lovely people is, is the heat in June really awful? I'm from the South, but I've never been a fan of the heat, and by the time I take my trip, I'll have been living in Scotland for nearly 9 years. If June is a bad idea, what's the best time to visit? The weather in November was amazing, but I feel like that might have been a fluke. And I guess I'm concerned about crowds as well as weather. Will there be tons of people there in June that wouldn't be there at another time?

This obviously isn't an urgent thing, but I don't want to tell my mom I'll be there in June and then end up deciding that I can't handle how hot/crowded it'll be. But I also want to try to get my sister and brother thinking about going if they're able to, which means they'll have to start saving soon.

Post subject: Re: Will I die from the June heat? Or, best time to visit NY
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:26 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

no? i don't think so, but i'm not really happy until it's around 80°F all the time. i think early to mid-june is a lovely time of year. and as far as i can tell, the crowds in manhattan are the same all the time, but i admit that i started to tune other people out pretty quickly. now i notice them pretty much only when they're in my way, so i have special hatred for parades and christmas in midtown, but no strong feelings about the summer months.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:02 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

june is a nice time to visit. it's not sweltering during the day and in the evening a very light sweater (if that!) would suffice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:21 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm going to be a bit of a downer and say that June can be dicey! I hate the heat and we've sure had some hot Junes. But it's a bit of a crapshoot - could be gorgeous, could be sweltering (by which I mean 82 and realllllly humid, it's always the humidity that's unpleasant to me.) And depending on where you are (for instance, if you were to stay in the Village during NYU graduation week or some such thing) there could be a bit more visitors than usual, but probably not so bad. I would say go for it, I always have family who visit in June and it IS a nice time to be here, despite all I said above.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:49 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

June is sort of a crapshoot in terms of temperature. But generally speaking it's still a very nice time to go... trees have leaves again, so it's pretty and warm, maybe light jacket weather in the evenings. However if you get unlucky it could be totally sweltering and humid. I used to live in Glasgow and in my opinion Scottish summers are very lovely and pleasant and mild compared to here, so take that as you will.

In terms of crowds, New York is always very crowded, but tourism really tends to pick up in late April/early May once the weather gets nicer, but you will avoid the really huge crowds of tourist if you come before school gets out for the summer (usually early to mid June, it obviously varies a lot from state to state and district to district). A lot of people wait to go on vacation until they can bring their kids with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:25 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i think in june you'll be OK. it's not like july/august when you have a good chance of frying.
i think depending on when you schedule though you may find hotels even MORE expensive/hard to find due to college graduations, isn't that usually june? although in NY if it isn't one thing it's another, it's always something making hotels hard to find.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

June is milder than July and August, generally, and possibly even cooler than September. It was rainy and cold in the week leading up to my June 10th wedding a few years ago, but that was pretty unusual. It is considered high season for hotels.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:00 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Audrey wrote:
I'm going to be a bit of a downer and say that June can be dicey! I hate the heat and we've sure had some hot Junes. But it's a bit of a crapshoot - could be gorgeous, could be sweltering (by which I mean 82 and realllllly humid, it's always the humidity that's unpleasant to me.) And depending on where you are (for instance, if you were to stay in the Village during NYU graduation week or some such thing) there could be a bit more visitors than usual, but probably not so bad. I would say go for it, I always have family who visit in June and it IS a nice time to be here, despite all I said above.

I agree that June can be too hot for me, but then again, I physically don't do well with heat, either. Thanks to my genes.

I would say err to the side of caution and come in early June, if it's possible. Otherwise, a New York June can have pretty damn hot days, but then some days could be really chilly (upper 60's-early 70's).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have to disagree with everyone and say June could be hell. That's because the last few summers I know June was unusually hot and we had triple degree heat waves that burnt the blackberries in my garden to a crisp.

Then again, that is definitely unusual- and this year winter is lasting a really long time, so we may have a more normal June.

I personally love hot weather but the thing with heat in NYC is due to the smog and general lack of trees it gets really difficult to breathe. My friend from Seattle visited in the summer for her first trip East and she almost melted when I took her to the city.

On the other hand, summer in NYC is pretty awesome because there are so many great outdoor events.

Like everybody else said if you do early June you probably have a better chance of good weather.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

torque wrote:
. . . it's always something making hotels hard to find.

I don't know if you've thought about where to stay but whenever I go now I rent an apartment - so much nicer than a hotel (you can buy vegan goodies for the fridge and freezer) for the same cost or less.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:39 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Just to let you know, this is slightly above normal, but this past week has been in the 90's almost all week, followed by the week of June 3rd starting in the upper 70's to the upper 80's by Friday. This is when you can sort of avoid the heat because the temperature is not always consistent from day to day, but be careful since it can be pretty hot. I'm definitely feeling it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:48 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I think August is usually the hottest. But no one can predict the weather. Personally I'd rather it be hot than raining. You can always go to the beach when it gets hot though. Manhattan usually sucks when it's hot. I live in Brooklyn and where I am it's always noticeably cooler.