| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #1** Your Choice
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh yay! To be honest, I have a feeling I will end up double-booking next fortnight. I've inspired myself to use it more. I really want to make the pizza now. I think I might go get the ingredients tomorrow and have pizza for dinner on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Ooh. You know what's awesome? Peanut butter and jelly Fronch toast sandwiches. French toast pbj was a child hood favorite of mine; so happy to relive it with a yummy vegan version.

The peanut butter gets all lovely and melty. This is the only application where chunky pb is preferred. Also, cheap asparagus peanut butter works better than natural. And grape jelly.

Oh, yum. Now I want. I think my mom would kill me though if I asked for this instead of the Tofurkey pizza we went and got, specially.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The VWaV pizza dough and sauce are my go to. The sauce is wonderful, so tasty. the green goddess pizza is yum, but a lot of work. It is worthwhile if you want it enough, but you have to really, really want it.

I need to see what I haven't made from VWaV and revisit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The VWAV crust is my go to, as well! And Fronch Toast PB&J sounds amazing...

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This week has pretty much been a bust for me cooking challenge-wise because I was sick then had surprise out-of-town guests, but can I say that I've really been enjoying seeing your results photos? Because I have been.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:52 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

EDIT: I thought the image from my original post had disappeared but it hadn't so I posted it again and now have deleted it. Sorry, I'm not very good at this technology thing!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm so impressed with all the delicious sounding and looking food coming out this week! I haven't been able to participate this week because I've been traveling. Next week I'm planning a scrumptious menu from Viva Vegan, my most read, yet least cooked from cookbook!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Moon wrote:
Just a teaser

My house smells freaking amazing.

So I posted the photo before but was too tired to actually say anything about them. Fixing that now!

Sweet Vegan's Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies. First, this is a totally easy recipe to follow. I guess brownies should be pretty easy to mix up but I don't make this sort of thing often and they came together nicely. Her instructions are to line your pan with foil or parchment and then grease, which I did. I either should have greased more or let them cool down (even though they cooled for quite a bit longer than what the book recommended) more OR grease and flour but turning out the brownies was a bit tricky and I did leave a thin film of brownie on the foil. They were so moist that after cutting a couple did fall apart easily but I probably should have cut them into slightly smaller portions, I think the peanut butter swirl helped a couple separate. But in the grand scheme of things this was a minor complaint and OH MY GOLLY they are so good! They are thick and sweet and moist and rich. The recipe calls for you to drizzle melted chocolate on them after they are cooled but they were so rich that I didn't bother. They are getting rave reviews from everyone who tries them, so they are totally a huge vegan baking win. And not even remotely healthy, not that brownies should be, but I worked out the calories and it's completely obscene. Completely indulgent and worth it, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

those brownies still look darn good! IMHO, i think since you describe the brownies are really moist, i think that is why you had a thin film of brownie on the foil. i've made the vegan diner brownies (granted they are completely different than this recipe) and i don't line the pan, just a quick spray, and they pop out just fine.

if you make them again, you might could try parchment paper instead.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:34 am 
Shopped till she dropped

I've cooked a couple things from Martha Stewart's Meatless this week.

First was the Spiced Tofu with Wilted Spinach and Yogurt, a sort of version of saag tofu. I subbed soy yogurt for the dairy and Wildwood Super Firm tofu to skip the pressing step, but something was just not right. I kind of suspect the tofu was off. The date on the package was fine, but the block had a thicker juice than I remember, and it left a weird film in my mouth. I also think the spinach wasn't drained enough, since there was a lot of liquid in the bottom of the pan before I added the yogurt, so it was way too saucy. I tried to cook it out, but it didn't really work. The flavor tasted off too, probably because of the tofu.

Tonight I made the Southwestern Hash. It was okay as is, but I think it has potential to make it to the regular rotation with a few adjustments. The flavor was fine, but not as spiced as I'd like. Tapatio helped. I'll probably try it again, but roast the potatoes and season the tempeh on its own. Maybe even sauté it on its own.

Both of these dishes had some textural issues. The onions in the tofu were too crunchy for the dish (reminded me of a time when I could not eat onions), but I know I overwilted the spinach. The hash was slightly mushy, but roasting the potatoes will help a lot. I'd also add the tomatoes a couple minutes later, since they were a little overcooked for my tastes.

I have the ingredients to make a couple more dishes in the next couple days: Spiced Butternut Squash Soup and Bulgur and Chickpea Salad with Carrot-Pistachio Dressing. I think/hope these will go a little more smoothly.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:56 am 
Huffs Nooch

I had the Mac and Cheeseburger Bake from Quick Fix Vegan and could not stop eating it! It was sooo good. And omni approved as well!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:40 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I wanted my third recipe from ED&BV this week to be the polenta casserole, but I have leftovers to take care of, so that's not happening. :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:02 pm 
Crazy bat lady

We had the Thai-centric Mac&Cheese from Celebrate Vegan. It was delicious!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:46 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Today I made the lentil shepherd's pie from Forks Over Knives. I didn't have any celery so substituted in mushrooms for the base, and had no parsnips so just made a plain potato mash. Unfortunately it was really bland and a bit dry so actually it didn't work so well :( I would probably add more rosemary (and maybe some other herbs/spices) than the recipe suggested, and definitely add more liquid to the mash than suggested to make it creamier. Hopefully one day I will get around to making this exactly to the recipe as it looked nice and I was really hopeful about the taste right up until I started eating it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:28 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I picked The Vegan Slow Cooker but didn't get many chances to cook this week. :(

Split Pea and Apple Soup

Really, really good. I'm one of those people who can never get split peas to soften up on the stove, but problem eliminated with the slow cooker! I used yellow split lentils, as I can't find real split peas where I live - hence the color. My boyfriend is obsessed with this soup though, which surprised me for such a humble soup from pantry staples! Didn't have any celery but was fine without it. I added an extra cup of water as the slow cooker was on for 11 hours (author's recommendation if you leave it on longer than the recipe's 8) and the consistency was perfect.

NOT PICTURED FROM THIS WEEK: Dried chickpeas (perfect every time), Apple and Sage Sausage (rescused from the freezer, really good for slow cooker meat but not my favorite sausage recipe).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:34 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Imogen wrote:
Today I made the lentil shepherd's pie from Forks Over Knives. I didn't have any celery so substituted in mushrooms for the base, and had no parsnips so just made a plain potato mash. Unfortunately it was really bland and a bit dry so actually it didn't work so well :( I would probably add more rosemary (and maybe some other herbs/spices) than the recipe suggested, and definitely add more liquid to the mash than suggested to make it creamier. Hopefully one day I will get around to making this exactly to the recipe as it looked nice and I was really hopeful about the taste right up until I started eating it.

Have you tried the shepherds pie from AFR? That is seriously great comfort food. It uses cauliflower and potatos and shiitake mushrooms. The shiitakes are worth the extra expense in this because the texture adds a lot to the dish. It's very moist, juicy, and tasty. It's become the cold weather favorite for my mom and I.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:26 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I got all I need for making pizza today. Just need to find me the energy to make it. So excited because it will be my first time making my own pizza.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:18 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

From Color Me Vegan again:

- Curried Cauliflower Soup: this was okay. I had to use 2 more cups of stock because the 4 cups the recipe calls for were nowhere near enough for the cauliflower.

- Stuffed Shells: I used cannelloni for this, because I've never seen shells for sale anywhere. This was really good! The recipe calls for a tomato sauce and I used the AFR marinara recipe for that. I can totally see using this recipe to make lasagna - my cannelloni always fall apart when I remove them from the pan anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:39 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made pancakes last night from VWAV topped with fruit but not going to count that in my total of recipes because I make them at least once a week.

I made the pizza! I used the base recipe, basil-walnut pesto, sauce and tofu ricotta for it. I didn't have enough basil so the pesto was well short of what I needed and I done without the basil for the tofu ricotta. I subbed black olives for the kalamata olives because I had a jar lingering at the back of the press. Also added a small bit of chopped up broccoli.

Absolutely stuffed but damn.... never buying a shop bought pizza again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

@daisychain, hot dang that pizza looks good!

i ♥ isa's tofu basil ricotta. so good!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:45 am 
Saggy Butt

Mmmmm...I want that pizza!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:57 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

As if I'm not stuffed enough I'm now making the giant peanut butter oatmeal cookies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:24 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

another pasta bake tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:45 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I made a couple more recipes from Meatless, and I'm so glad they turned out better than my previous efforts.

Yesterday, I made the Bulgur and Chickpea Salad with Carrot-Pistachio Dressing. The flavor combination was really good. The mint went really, really well with the apricots and everything else. Next time I make this, I'll double the bulgur and maybe the chickpeas too, to bulk it up a bit. I'll also skip the pesto step and just shred the carrots and crush the pistachios. The pesto was a bit overwhelming as is, and I know I'd like the textural differences.

Tonight, I made the Spiced Butternut Squash Soup. I added a bouillon cube and an extra cup or so of water. The bouillon really gave it an extra depth of flavor. I love a spicier squash soup, so I'll add some red pepper flakes to my leftovers. It was really great with my usual wheat bread recipe.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

If anyone is interested, I wrote a blog post about this week!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next