| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:19 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Efcliz wrote:
That's good! I've noticed we tend to like a lot of the same recipes from books, our taste buds must be similar.

High five!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:00 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i think I'm making the apple tart today and I'm pretty excited!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Last week I decided that I need to get stuck in to this book again so, in the last few day, I have made:

Pickled red onions (p62) - flipping amazing and so moreish. I'm making a double batch tomorrow. I added a tsp cayenne pepper to replicate the spiced onions from my favourite Indian restaurant.

Rose water date semolina squares (p330) - Nom! If you like Middle Eastern sweets, you will like these a lot. The semolina pastry was rather crumbly which meant that pretty much all of the pistachios fell off the top after I cut up the squares. But that was a minor thing. Perhaps I was a little stingy with my shortening or margarine measurements.

Sweet autumn toasted pita and kale salad (p100) - So good! I added a can of butter beans to add some protein since I was serving this as a main. All the flavours blend together so well and I love the tangy-ness of the pomegranate molasses. Would definitely make again!

Next up: Seitan coriander cutlets, pistachio date quinoa salad, and the seitan, almond, sesame tagine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
Next up: Seitan coriander cutlets, pistachio date quinoa salad, and the seitan, almond, sesame tagine.

I've made all of your nexts but the salad was my favourite. I really want to make those date semolina squares. The carrot ones were too sweet for me, so I'll make sure to make the version with only half the sugar next time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:19 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ahh, you guys I'm stoked that I pulled off a somewhat traditionalish Polish Easter brunch with the help of VEW's pierogis. They were not the prettiest things so no pics but everyone, including my grandmother (everyone knows grandmothers are the best judge of ethnic foods, right?) had high praise. In addition to the potato filling I did sauerkraut and caraway seeds and potato and cheddar.

One important tip I thought was worth sharing: instead of rolling out all the dough, then creating cutouts for all, then filling all of them, then boiling in batches I found it was easier to roll, cut, fill, then boil each mini batch. (So in other words, working from start to finish for each bit of dough that you work with.) I found that when I set the dough aside for any prolonged period of time it was harder to work with because of the stickiness factor. Maybe this goes without sayin' for dumpling pros, but it was definitely a takeaway for me on this go-around.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the massaman curry today, and wondered why it tasted so odd. Halfway through the meal I realized it was because I was thinking of Panang curry. Apparently my taste memory thought thai curry with peanuts must be panang! Other than that, it was good. It was the first time I managed to cook tofu in a way that gave it some flavour.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

fruitbat wrote:
I've made all of your nexts but the salad was my favourite. I really want to make those date semolina squares. The carrot ones were too sweet for me, so I'll make sure to make the version with only half the sugar next time.

I made the quinoa salad and it was so good! I think it tasted even better the next day cause the dates got really soft and velvety. Mmm mmm! It was easy to put together too and would be good to keep around for lunch boxes.

I also made the coriander seitan. I steamed it cause I wanted it to be moist (ewww, "moist"). It's tasty. It's wrapped up in my fridge and I haven't decided what to do with it yet.
I also made the ginger marinated cucumbers - delicious! I ate some on a cold noodle salad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:07 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Me again!
I made the fast track kimchi a few days ago, and then last night used some of it to make the gluten-free kimchijeon. Gooood! I added a little kombu dashi powder for umami flavour and some extra gochugaru cause my kimchi isn't that spicy. I ate one of the pancakes along with some steamed brocolli and spinach ohitashi, and with the suggested dipping sauce. Very nice!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made the pistachio-date-quinoa salad over the weekend to bring to work for lunches. It's so great! I made a couple of changes, based on what I had in the house - I used romaine instead of spinach, roasted almonds instead of pistachios and cilantro in place of parsley - I really like it both as written and with those changes! Nothing could be bad with that much sumac involved!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made a ton of the Fast Lane Kimchi and handed out jars to my friends. <3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've been asked to upload the index again, so here are the download links in case someone else wants them too:

Vegan Eats World Index.pdf
Vegan Eats World Index.doc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

The Brown Basmati Biryani with Cashews was for dinner tonight. We really loved it. I stirred in some hot and sweet chutney I had lying around in my fridge from an international grocer nearby. Divine, but next time I know to cut back on the chutney because it was really spicy. The Biryani itself was perfect, though. I substituted broccoli for the cauliflower and it was just awesome. I'm excited for leftovers tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ok, I used up the last of the kimchi to make the tofu eggplant kimchi stew (I can't remember the real name right now). I added a little more sugar, and more gochugaru after the stew had simmered for a bit. Served it with some edamame-carrot-radish salad and some Japanese rice cooked with kabocha and black sesame.

Oh, I also made the gyro seitan and tzatziki earlier in the week. The seitan was so tasty! I couldn't stop sneaking slices from the tupperware in the fridge. I will definitely make it again!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

Mmmm...the This is Sparta Pie (spinach filo pie) is REALLY GOOD. So good. Just watch when it's in the oven baking (I was gonna make single appetizer size but wasn't in the mood for such fiddlin' so I made it as one pie in a 13 x 9 pan instead) because the corners of the pie were browning pretty well only 13 minutes into baking, and it had to bake for at least 25 minutes more, so I moved it to the centre rack of the oven to get it away from the heating element and it didn't burn at all even in the corners and was a flaky and satisfying delight by the end. Make it! It's a Sunday thing because it takes some time and effort but worth it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:46 pm 

seitanicverses wrote:
Mmmm...the This is Sparta Pie (spinach filo pie) is REALLY GOOD. So good. Just watch when it's in the oven baking (I was gonna make single appetizer size but wasn't in the mood for such fiddlin' so I made it as one pie in a 13 x 9 pan instead) because the corners of the pie were browning pretty well only 13 minutes into baking, and it had to bake for at least 25 minutes more, so I moved it to the centre rack of the oven to get it away from the heating element and it didn't burn at all even in the corners and was a flaky and satisfying delight by the end. Make it! It's a Sunday thing because it takes some time and effort but worth it!

I've been thinking about making that! Did you have filo leftover, and if so was it enough to make the baklava and not buy another pacakge? I want to be ambitious and do both the same day, figure if I'm already set up to play with filo, might as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

Not enough filo left over for baklava. There wasn't much left over after I made this pie and I used almost a whole box. I trimmed my fillo to fit the pan but there was maybe what amounted to three filo sheets left over tallying up the pastry shards and carnage at the end.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:51 pm 

Well now I know if I ever get around to this, buy two boxes! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:21 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I made the jackfruit carnitas last saturday and they were amazing! I will definitely make these again soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:36 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I loved those carnitas. I'm thinking about adapting the recipe to the slow cooker for extra marinading goodness.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:45 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I got this cookbook out of the library for the cookbook challenge and I'm so overwhelmed! It's beautiful, stocked with amazingly delicious sounding recipes. How do I even know where to start???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:50 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Mad the pad thai two nights in a row! So so good and so quick and easy. I did my own veg with whatever I had. The recipe is super adaptable!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:51 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

We are in love with the bibimbop here, it's the first recipe from the book we've made twice so far. And last night I remembered to serve with kimchi (I bought some, Sunja brand from Vermont) and that was excellent. We've left out the bean sprouts both times though 'cause we're haters, but added extra spinach. I also got a little nostalgic because I had some Korean friends when I was preteen and was always intrigued by bibimbop and other dishes at their house but couldn't eat 'em since I was veg, so yay! and to go further off-topic, I remembered that "gochu" is slang or maybe child-speak for penis so that made me giggle too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:53 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Victoire wrote:
I got this cookbook out of the library for the cookbook challenge and I'm so overwhelmed! It's beautiful, stocked with amazingly delicious sounding recipes. How do I even know where to start???

The bahn mi. Always start with the bahn mi.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

daisychain wrote:
Victoire wrote:

The bahn mi. Always start with the bahn mi.

^ Words of wisdom.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

The banh mi is really good!

I'm pretty sure I made this declaration upthread, but I'll say it again: My favorite recipe of the book thus far is the seitan noodle salad. I can't remember it's name? Seitan Noodle Salad Bo Bun or something like that? Seriously scrumptious!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 39  Next