| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! Celine and Tami's new boo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:57 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

We made the monte cristos this weekend and they were awesome. We cheated a little by using tempeh bacon instead of the beefy seitan and used peasant bread rather than bagels (what the fizzle, whole foods not carrying vegan bagels - they all had honey and I didn't feel like making a special trip to the bagel store). The fillings are also great on regular toast if you don't have time to make the french toast (but the french toast is seriously delicious!).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I came home to an email saying it has been dispatched today. So excited! Can't wait to have it in my hands.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
I came home to an email saying it has been dispatched today. So excited! Can't wait to have it in my hands.

yay! it's a fantastic cookbook! definitely report back and let us know what you make first!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:08 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

For lunch yesterday I had chickpeas and leftover quinoa from the croquinoette-making, with the miso dressing. It was amazing, I love that miso dressing so hard!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:53 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the german Bierocks for a group of dude omni's and they LOVED it. The chef in the group asked for the recipe.

Cooking for the same group again this weekend, what else would you guys recommend from the book? I was thinking the Jackfruit carnitas?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:09 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The Torta de Tofu is my favourite, especially with the larger amount of chipotles.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It's arrived! It's arrived!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

NomiMalone wrote:
I made the german Bierocks for a group of dude omni's and they LOVED it. The chef in the group asked for the recipe.

Cooking for the same group again this weekend, what else would you guys recommend from the book? I was thinking the Jackfruit carnitas?

the jackfruit carnitas is my favorite so far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:56 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hardcastle McCormick wrote:
NomiMalone wrote:

the jackfruit carnitas is my favorite so far.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

NomiMalone wrote:

Making the Monster Green Bread from scratch is worth it - I was so dorkily pleased how the bun version came out.

Some others that spring to mind that I've liked:
the 1 World Rueben (with homemade rye from Vegan Bread Box) - I thought this was going to be really weird with all of the different elements that made it "1 World" but it was really good. (Garam masala in a rueben, wha what?)

The Chickpea Schwarma - seems to universally get good reviews here, omni husband liked it

The French Tofu - I liked this one. One of the faster to make and lighter tasting sandwiches.

And yeah, that miso dressing is the real deal. I could eat it with a spoon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:39 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made the french tofu salad too. I liked that the tofu was cooked, but the dressing was so bland and mayo-heavy. I totally remade the dressing with much less mayo,double the mustard and vinegar and added a lot of extra celery. With those changes it was pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

aiee wrote:
I made the french tofu salad too. I liked that the tofu was cooked, but the dressing was so bland and mayo-heavy. I totally remade the dressing with much less mayo,double the mustard and vinegar and added a lot of extra celery. With those changes it was pretty good.

good point. I forgot to add that I did cut the mayo down for the fat factor and did add more mustard for the zip.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Just made the moo-free seitan tonight. I piled thin slices on baguette spread with horseradish and dipped it in the cooking broth. Ohmyyum. So good.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:35 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the bulgur hummus wraps a couple of days ago, and they would have been great if it weren't for the capers. I don't know what I was thinking when i added them, because I absolutely hate capers. I will definitely give this recipe another chance soon though, maybe using sun-dried tomatoes instead of capers.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I made the moo-free seitan last night to use up some vital wheat gluten and garbanzo flour. I'm moving cross country soon, so I'm trying to use up as much of my ingredients in the house as I can. Which recipe features moo-free seitan, and doesn't require purchasing a lot of specialty ingredients? I still have all my spices, etc, but I don't have vegan mayo and I'd rather not buy any now. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:25 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The scrambled burritos are so, so good. I made them with all beans and used corn starch instead of corn flour. Amazing with hot sauce and avocado. Want to make them again now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:37 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the curried lentil wraps today. Really tasty. I had seconds. Yummmmmmy.

Quick question..... is the water in the recipe for the curry sauce the water for melting the creamed coconut or is it in addition to that water? I wasn't sure so I followed the directions on the coconut pack and didn't add in anymore water.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:52 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I absolutely love the Pav bhaji. I always put some in the freezer for a quick dinner some other time and it gets even better as it sits. Tonight I had it with cabbage and carrot thoran and it was fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:56 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Just got this for my kindle and looking forward to trying some recipes! On first glance one thing I wish is that there was a chapter dedicated to dips, spreads, dressings and sauces, or that they were all grouped together in the index. For some reason, that's what I always turn to first in a new cookbook.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:43 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

With this cookbook I gravitate to the one-step sandwiches, but I dug in and made the moo-free seitan and the pickled veggies for the Banh-Mi (I forgot how to spell it). I am patting myself on the back for all of my planning, because this was one delicious sandwich. Probably my fave so far from this book.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:51 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I had the Asian eggplant sandwiches today and they were amazing! I didn't use mayo, used pita bread instead of baguette and instead of making salad I just tucked in some shredded napa cabbage. The sauce is really delicious.

Love Child wrote:
The scrambled burritos are so, so good. I made them with all beans and used corn starch instead of corn flour. Amazing with hot sauce and avocado. Want to make them again now!

I'll be making these tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:43 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Let's talk about this book some more! I just read through the whole thread and am crazy excited to dig in. I had this book out of library for a verrry long time but never made anything, and then finally got it for Christmas but still didn't make anything - probably because I was still deep in the newness of Isa Does It.

Last night I made a pretty simple reuben using the tempeh recipe in the From Russia With Love sandwich. OH MAN. I'm not a beet lover so I almost didn't do it, but we have many jars of pickled beets on hand that really need to be used (my solution to the unending avalanche of beets in our winter CSA has been to keep pickling and canning them - at least then I can give them away!). It was so good, and so perfect for the sandwich! And it didn't taste beet-y at all, and had a great color. I used the tempeh with some mozzarella daiya, drained sauerkraut and a spread mixed of a quick combo of homemade ketchup, vegenaise and some homemade pickle relish on some sourdough bread, with the whole thing grilled on a cast iron. And it was heaven.

Anyways, finally making this one component has really made me want to jump in and make everything now. Tomorrow I'm going to make the green monster bread and go from there. Excitement!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I was thinking about this cookbook the other day. I really have liked just about everything I've tried, but the recipes are a bit more complicated than I've had time for lately. Anyway, the banh mi from this cookbook is my absolute fave version. If you need ideas, try that one!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I love this book. Love, love, love this book. I remember when it first came out, I thought, "I really don't need an entire book of sandwich recipes." But sandwiches are my boyfriend's favorite food, and he, of course, disagreed. He was right and I was wrong.

We've had the Hot Browns, the Unfishwiches, the Grinders, the Muffaletta. the Pan Bagnats - every one a winner. And the Gobbler slices recipe is my go-to "turkey" now - so good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's definitely not an everyday or every week book, but there are some real winners in here.

We made the chickpea shawarma all the time when I could still get unsweetened yogurt. SOON!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next