| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Here's a great page that lists companion plantings. That's where you plant things that do well together near each other and those that don't, farther away. Like alliums (garlic, onions, shallots), don't plant those near asparagus or where you intend to put your beans come spring. But do plant alliums where you intend to plant tomatoes and peppers.

Anyway, there are a lot of things that work together to repel bugs, fungus, etc and then there are some that steal nutrients from eachother. I refer to this list every year when planting garlic in the fall and planning my spring beds.

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:03 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I am very excited as yesterday I did some guerilla gardening and no one moaned at me!

I'm living in a room I'm renting in someone's house, and there is no garden, but across the street there is an area paved with flagstones and a small, tarmac-ed carparks (for residents cars and things- you don't pay or anything. Anyway...) And in two spots on the paved bit, there are patches of earth where 4 flagstones have been removed. These are covered with a layer of boring looking little weeds and one of the patches has an old stump from a bush in it.
I dug over one of the patches with a hand fork, leaving the weeds in as green manure because I couldn't be bothered to weed it first, and planted a bright purple heather plant in the middle and some bulbs. The bulbs were a pack called 'Bee Happy' from the garden centre- they're meant to be good for providing nectar for pollinators and the four types of flowers should mean there will be blooms from about March to July.

I'm hoping to get some more bulbs, and in season some snowdrop plants, for the other patch.

I had been kind of nervous about doing the digging in case someone was annoyed, and there is a speed bump near me so cars kept slowing down and I thought they were going going to stop and tell me off, but apart from one man who laughing said 'Are you planting potatoes?' as he walked past, no one did anything.

Can't wait for spring to see if the bulbs come up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:30 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i have planted chickpeas. they have come up, and they're so cute!!! cute little frondy things. i figure worse comes to worse the greens are edible.
bugs have decimated a lot of other things, and my green beans are raggedy. i need to rip up the old stuff and put in some new things. Shopping tomorrow!!!!!! (my favorite, seedling shopping, where i can buy like a queen and only pay like $5)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:41 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Torque, I know pea greens are edible, but are chickpea greens? I've never heard of people eating them. But good luck with them and your seedling shopping! I'm looking through seed catalogs now, since it's winter here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:10 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i had never heard of them either, i was searching for info on how to grow and found some blogs like this one
http://enjoyindianfood.blogspot.com.br/ ... kpeas.html .

normally i take my nutritional info from random blogs (ha) but there is actually data out there too. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 7/abstract who knew???

they're probably not going to do well, as they like cooler weather- right now though the weather is so unstable, cold then hot then cold, that who knows what will happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:37 pm 

Interesting! Let us know how they taste if you end up eating them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Can I ask a couple of compost questions? I've googled but I cannae google no more.

For reference, we have a plastic upright compost bin.

The stuff at the bottom is probably about two years old now. My compost doesn't look like fresh crumbly earth, it looks like wet clay. Is this a sign of something awful?

Peanut shells and avocado skins are coming out intact. Is this normal?

It has a bajillion earthworms in, which I take as a good sign that it's healthy because that implies something is doing something that is supporting an ecosystem for worms to live there and it's not just a toxic mess. Is this bollocks or am I thinking along the right lines?

Almost all of our kitchen waste, including paper towels and tissues, go in it. Will we get the plague?

Is is strange that I am kind of attached to the compost we "made"?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Do you turning the compost at all or just throwing everything in and leaving it be?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

You will know your compost is awful because it will forking stiiiiiiiiiink. It might be too wet but if it doesn't smell horrible, it's probably okay. I don't know if peanut shells compost well, and avocado skins are kind of tough so they might take longer to break down.

I know there's a science to composting, but really I just chuck shiitake in there and give it a tumble every now and then. Mine has actually been sitting out there untouched for at least two months because I knew we were moving so I didn't want to keep adding to it when i'm just going to have to dump it in the garden anyway. And yes, I am sad about not getting to use it!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 pm 

Gulliver- Make sure your compost is getting plenty of air both with air holes and by turning it. And maybe add more brown stuff (dry leaves, bits of cardboard, newspaper, etc.) It sounds like you might have too much green.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

it needs turning once in a while!!
i would also suggest, when turning it, adding some nitrogen to make it "hotter". The more intrepid could pee on the compost, which works well, or one might buy urea fertilizer (which is taken from air in a post-oil-refining process, not from the urine of captive critters) and apply it whilst turning.

also, i have seen avocado skins and peanut shells, among other things, come out intact after a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:24 am 

Well, me and the man dug out about half a cubic metre of the good stuff and ploughed that into the soil, then I gave it a hearty wood-chip mulch covering and put the tarp back over it. I forgot how good our soil was! Before it was a garden, it was allotments, and before that, it was farmland (about a hundred years ago?), so the soil has been loved and cared for for generations. We just need to tackle the used-to-be-a-greenhouse desert at the end.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:53 pm 
protein lump

i have teeny garlic shoots! will try to take a picture if i can get back outside sans dog at some point this afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We have garlic shoots too! I planted the garlic super late, mostly to keep aphids away from my lettuce. (Which my landlords' cat then dug up. He is hell bent on destroying all lettuce.) So I am so pleasantly surprised by the fact that it's like, growing at all.

Some of my snap peas are 5-6 inches tall and starting to climb their supports!

I germinated a bunch of seeds in plastic bags and then planted them today and yesterday. Almost every seed germinated! Now I want to put more stuff in plastic bags and see what happens.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This year I am starting some permanent beds with a cardboard base (I have some major perennial weeds), so I went collecting cardboard from dumpsters. In this way, I was able to confirm that a local restaurant does indeed have vegan chow mein noodles and vegan fortune cookies. /tangential gardening benefit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:17 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I know that what I am going to actually do is continue to let this thing grow and see what it turns into, but any guesses on whether this plant is a hot pepper or a weed? Plant:

It's in a container that I cleaned first and then filled with new potting soil, and then planted hot pepper seeds in. At first I was sure that it was a pepper-- and then an identical plant showed up on the very edge of a big planter I have carrots in. (ETA: at one point, the carrot planter and this container were next to each other.) I definitely didn't plant any pepper seeds in that, though it's worth noting that my younger son "gardened" in both of them, by which I mean he dug his fingers around in both and I guess it's possible that he transferred a seed from one planter to the other.

Or maybe they're both weeds?

It doesn't really matter (like I said, going to let it keep growing anyhow) but I'm curious what people who actually know things about gardening think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:35 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

looks like a red maple tree.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:50 pm 

supercarrot wrote:
looks like a red maple tree.

I would guess maple too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:55 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Thanks! I think you're right. No maple trees anywhere near my yard but I hear they can travel pretty far.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:08 pm 

they could have come in with the potting soil.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We have those all over our yard. I just pulled about 5 out of the garden. I agree with the others that it's definitely a tree.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:26 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

How do you know when it's time to thin?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:22 pm 

any time, really. the older they get, the more difficult it can be since the roots will be more likely to be intertwined.

and if you'll be relocating the ones you thin, make sure to lift by the leaf not the stem. (they can always grow another leaf)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:17 pm 

I'm very excited I found tree collards at the nursery! Hopefully in another year I give cutting to all my green loving friends!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Any idea how to rid of thai basil from our raised beds? Short of throwing out all the soil. It just won't go away and we can't grow anything else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 35  Next