| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189 ... 519  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:22 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5349
Location: United States of New England
kilgore trout wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
I hate Good Friday. I don't want to listen to everyone at work bisque and freak out how they can't eat meat. Dudes if you actually believe in your religion & your reasons for abstaining from meat today the shut the fork up & deal

Oh gosh. A good number of my coworkers are Catholic teenagers and the other night at a staff meeting they were groaning about how hard it is to not eat meat one day a week during Lent. One of the not-Catholic kids was amazed and insisted that he could never do it. Seriously?



well i mean come on. we all know vegetables are gross and all us vegans should totally be dead by now. and vegetarians should just be hanging on by a thin thread.

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:12 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4683
Location: People's Republic of Glasgow
But Catholics don't eat 'meat' on any Fridays anyway though? Or does Good Friday involve not even eating (gasp!) fish? Granted I don't understand religion. I think people make their own rules up so I don't understand the griping. All the super-Christian girls I was at school with were all about no sex before marriage but bowlcuts don't count or sommat. I don't remember their reason because we were all 12 and I didn't have a ruddy clue what they were on about. Sorry. Tangent. Unless we're talking about getting protein again...

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:33 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5349
Location: United States of New England
i think the no-meat-on-every-Friday thing is no longer followed.
i do think it used to be that way. i have a vague memory of my mom trying not to cook meat on fridays when we were young but i dont think many Catholics follow that year round anymore.

cause it's really hard not to eat meat one day a week.

i think fish is still ok during Lent because like i said i have to listen to people at work bisque and moan during lent and i think fish is ok to them.

not sure if im correct on the above but that's my impresion

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4683
Location: People's Republic of Glasgow
ha, well, "fish on a friday" is definitely still a thing here.

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:51 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5271
Location: Gallifrey
Catholics don't eat meat on Fridays (except for fish) from Lent until Easter. My family, which is Roman Catholic, always followed it and we would have fish Fridays. Most of the other Catholic families I knew also ate fish dinners on Fridays. But honestly, it is all pick and choose. They choose no meat on Fridays but are a little loose with that love thy neighbor stuff.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:33 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
interrobang?! wrote:
But Catholics don't eat 'meat' on any Fridays anyway though? Or does Good Friday involve not even eating (gasp!) fish? Granted I don't understand religion. I think people make their own rules up so I don't understand the griping. All the super-Christian girls I was at school with were all about no sex before marriage but bowlcuts don't count or sommat. I don't remember their reason because we were all 12 and I didn't have a ruddy clue what they were on about. Sorry. Tangent. Unless we're talking about getting protein again...

Here, people only really observe that during Lent. I was raised Catholic and that's how we did it. "Meat" doesn't include fish, though, and I think children under a certain age (12?) don't have to participate.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:38 pm 
Online
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5617
Location: A New England
choirqueer wrote:
Not to justify eating meat, of course, but sometimes certain customs are more meaningful to people than others. So maybe that particular custom has meaning to this person in a way that other Jewish practices don't. The significance of kosher-for-Passover practices is totally different from the reasons behind the year-round kosher dietary laws. I could see why someone would observe that practice even if other traditions of Judaism aren't important for them.
Fair enough; it just struck me as incongruous, but I admit to being pretty ignorant about the nuts and bolts of Judaism! As I say, he's an old friend and I've never mentioned anything about it to him, because people have all sorts of reasons for doing/observing/believing stuff (heaven knows I do).

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:26 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4058
Location: Austin
Desdemona wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Not to justify eating meat, of course, but sometimes certain customs are more meaningful to people than others. So maybe that particular custom has meaning to this person in a way that other Jewish practices don't. The significance of kosher-for-Passover practices is totally different from the reasons behind the year-round kosher dietary laws. I could see why someone would observe that practice even if other traditions of Judaism aren't important for them.
Fair enough; it just struck me as incongruous, but I admit to being pretty ignorant about the nuts and bolts of Judaism! As I say, he's an old friend and I've never mentioned anything about it to him, because people have all sorts of reasons for doing/observing/believing stuff (heaven knows I do).

It's actually really common for people who otherwise ignore Judaism to go all out for Passover. It's our one big fussy holiday, and the closest thing to an overblown "holiday season" that we have.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:21 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19105
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Ugh, I hate it that its apparently acceptable to be rude about vegan food in a way no one would be rude about other food. "Oh is that Indian food? It tastes like shiitake." "Oh is that Italian food? It tastes like crepe." "Oh is that diabetic cake? It tastes like asparagus."

People seem to think its okay to dismiss all vegan food because they didn't like one dish, and its apparently okay to do it without any consideration for feelings of the person who bothered to make you a meal.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:23 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 1410
Location: Las Vegas, NV
interrobang?! wrote:
But Catholics don't eat 'meat' on any Fridays anyway though? Or does Good Friday involve not even eating (gasp!) fish? Granted I don't understand religion. I think people make their own rules up so I don't understand the griping. All the super-Christian girls I was at school with were all about no sex before marriage but bowlcuts don't count or sommat. I don't remember their reason because we were all 12 and I didn't have a ruddy clue what they were on about. Sorry. Tangent. Unless we're talking about getting protein again...



Bowlcuts! I laughed reading this! But it could be the wine talkin'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:56 pm 
Offline
***LIES!!!***
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3815
choirqueer wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
I have a friend who, while of culturally Jewish extraction, is completely irreligious and unobservant of his Judaism except during Passover, when he suddenly becomes more orthodox and keeps more kosher than [God]. I mean, people do stuff for their own reasons and I've never said anything to him, but it strikes me as ludicrous to eat lobster or a bacon cheeseburger one day and the next be all, "Bread? I can't eat bread during Passover!"


Not to justify eating meat, of course, but sometimes certain customs are more meaningful to people than others. So maybe that particular custom has meaning to this person in a way that other Jewish practices don't. The significance of kosher-for-Passover practices is totally different from the reasons behind the year-round kosher dietary laws. I could see why someone would observe that practice even if other traditions of Judaism aren't important for them.


What choirqueer said, plus the restrictions of Passover have a very clear rationale that many Jews connect to (remembering liberation). The regular laws of kashrut have no given rationale at all. Passover is the most widely observed Jewish tradition among Jews of all extractions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:33 pm 
Online
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5617
Location: A New England
Ariann wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
I have a friend who, while of culturally Jewish extraction, is completely irreligious and unobservant of his Judaism except during Passover, when he suddenly becomes more orthodox and keeps more kosher than [God]. I mean, people do stuff for their own reasons and I've never said anything to him, but it strikes me as ludicrous to eat lobster or a bacon cheeseburger one day and the next be all, "Bread? I can't eat bread during Passover!"


Not to justify eating meat, of course, but sometimes certain customs are more meaningful to people than others. So maybe that particular custom has meaning to this person in a way that other Jewish practices don't. The significance of kosher-for-Passover practices is totally different from the reasons behind the year-round kosher dietary laws. I could see why someone would observe that practice even if other traditions of Judaism aren't important for them.


What choirqueer said, plus the restrictions of Passover have a very clear rationale that many Jews connect to (remembering liberation). The regular laws of kashrut have no given rationale at all. Passover is the most widely observed Jewish tradition among Jews of all extractions.
This all makes sense - thanks so much!

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:49 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9620
Location: Seattle
Tofulish wrote:
Ugh, I hate it that its apparently acceptable to be rude about vegan food in a way no one would be rude about other food. "Oh is that Indian food? It tastes like shiitake." "Oh is that Italian food? It tastes like crepe." "Oh is that diabetic cake? It tastes like asparagus."

People seem to think its okay to dismiss all vegan food because they didn't like one dish, and its apparently okay to do it without any consideration for feelings of the person who bothered to make you a meal.


I'll never forget the time one of my coworkers saw me unwrapping a tofu burger thing (Seattleites: it was a messy Hillside Quickie burger) in the kitchen. She said, "That looks like dog shiitake."

And she's about the sweetest, least confrontational person ever.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:55 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4683
Location: People's Republic of Glasgow
I was reheating ancho-chilli lentils at work t'other week and a colleague remarked, "that smells really good for something that isn't meat"

Eh?

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:34 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3262
Location: Ireland
I actually think meat eaters are just insane. Like properly insane. Evil, hateful insane people. I know that is generalising them but bring up the hypocrisy of their actions.... being outraged at a dog killing some lambs but ignoring the fact that in a few weeks the same lambs would be killed for them to eat...... and they go all loopy. It's like their brain can't process it at all.

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:27 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
Tofulish wrote:
Ugh, I hate it that its apparently acceptable to be rude about vegan food in a way no one would be rude about other food. "Oh is that Indian food? It tastes like shiitake." "Oh is that Italian food? It tastes like crepe." "Oh is that diabetic cake? It tastes like asparagus."

People seem to think its okay to dismiss all vegan food because they didn't like one dish, and its apparently okay to do it without any consideration for feelings of the person who bothered to make you a meal.

Ugh, I hate this. On Thanksgiving one of my former high school teachers posted a picture of a Tofurkey on facebook and a bunch of students and two other teachers commented something to the tune of "EWW," "gross," "really? Why are you eating that?" etc. I wanted really badly to ask on exactly what planet it's okay to talk about other peoples' food like that, but I didn't want to start shiitake on (someone else's) facebook with people I didn't really know.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:35 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2824
Location: Boston, MA
daisychain wrote:
I actually think meat eaters are just insane. Like properly insane. Evil, hateful insane people. I know that is generalising them but bring up the hypocrisy of their actions.... being outraged at a dog killing some lambs but ignoring the fact that in a few weeks the same lambs would be killed for them to eat...... and they go all loopy. It's like their brain can't process it at all.


Are you being serious? If so, this is really out of line. Most of us here ate meat at some point in our lives, and many of my friends and loved ones eat meat. I do not think they are evil, hateful insane people.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:00 am 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 8177
Location: Brasil
I think at some point or another we've all reached a point of frustration with the cognitive dissonance of the people who surround us.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:13 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3262
Location: Ireland
Quarantined wrote:
daisychain wrote:
I actually think meat eaters are just insane. Like properly insane. Evil, hateful insane people. I know that is generalising them but bring up the hypocrisy of their actions.... being outraged at a dog killing some lambs but ignoring the fact that in a few weeks the same lambs would be killed for them to eat...... and they go all loopy. It's like their brain can't process it at all.


Are you being serious? If so, this is really out of line. Most of us here ate meat at some point in our lives, and many of my friends and loved ones eat meat. I do not think they are evil, hateful insane people.


I said it more in the heat of the moment. I do apologise if it caused offence! I was in the middle of a head banging against the wall with frustration moment after reading some comments online.

On another note, apparently all our muscles are going to be eaten away by acid because we don't eat meat.

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5018
Location: WV
Went out for lunch yesterday at a Japanese steakhouse and ordered tofu teriyaki. The plate was only tofu, sauce, and one million onions. So okay, whatever, I like tofu so no big deal. I take a bite and it was...disgusting. First off, it was just huge chunks of silken tofu, so...gross (for me). Then they had battered and fried it in tempura batter, but that combined with the sauce made this gummy, slimy mess. I ate about 3 pieces before I threw in the towel and then spent the entire rest of the day/night with a horrible tummyache. I don't know if I blame the tofu or the fact that I also had tempura veggies that were really greasy, but holy hell was it nasty. I hate it when tofu is gross. My manfriend said, 'See, that's what turns me off of tofu.' And I understood completely! If I was an omni and that was my first tofu experience, I would never, ever eat it again. Blarf.

Oh, so I guess my pet peeve is when tofu is unappealing, because it gives tofu a bad name.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 am 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7275
Location: bindlestiff
Quarantined wrote:
daisychain wrote:
I actually think meat eaters are just insane. Like properly insane. Evil, hateful insane people. I know that is generalising them but bring up the hypocrisy of their actions.... being outraged at a dog killing some lambs but ignoring the fact that in a few weeks the same lambs would be killed for them to eat...... and they go all loopy. It's like their brain can't process it at all.


Are you being serious? If so, this is really out of line. Most of us here ate meat at some point in our lives, and many of my friends and loved ones eat meat. I do not think they are evil, hateful insane people.

It should also be noted that everyone, including everyone on these here boards, practices cognitive dissonance in some way. We're all blind by ignorance or intention to issues we don't want to address.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am 
Offline
Married to the wolfman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 5980
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
AP, that is my pet peeve too. I didn't eat tofu for like the first 12 years I was vegetarian because every time I'd had it, it was some sort of awful sad silken mess. When I finally learned how to cook it myself, I was so pissed I'd been missing out that whole time.

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5018
Location: WV
coldandsleepy wrote:
AP, that is my pet peeve too. I didn't eat tofu for like the first 12 years I was vegetarian because every time I'd had it, it was some sort of awful sad silken mess. When I finally learned how to cook it myself, I was so pissed I'd been missing out that whole time.


Yep! When I finally realized that there was tofu out there that wasn't silken yucky nasty (I mean, I use it blended for creamy things, but I really don't think it should ever be eaten plain, except maybe in miso soup), I was like, 'Oh!' But it's difficult to persuade an omnivore that has had a bad tofu experience that it can be awesome, because bad tofu experiences are so bad.

Also, I'm sure him watching me, a vegan, struggle with that tofu was just a confirmation for him that it will never pass his lips in chunk form. I kept saying, 'Listen, I LOVE tofu, but this is horrible. Just THIS tofu is horrible! I swear!' haha

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Last edited by allularpunk on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:17 am 
Offline
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4467
Location: Memphis
Oh man, YES times a million to the tofu thing. I had one terrible experience, and then wouldn't eat it the entire time I was vegetarian, and for the first few months of being vegan. Then I went to a local Vietnamese place with a friend and tasted her lemongrass tofu. After one bite, the heavens opened, choirs of angels started singing, puppies and unicorns frolicked past me under rainbows of pure joy, and I swear - suddenly the world had more colors in it than it had before.

_________________
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars
One vegan baker to another: "Dude, do you even sift?" - FootFace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:19 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5018
Location: WV
poopiebitch wrote:
Then I went to a local Vietnamese place with a friend and tasted her lemongrass tofu. After one bite, the heavens opened, choirs of angels started singing, puppies and unicorns frolicked past me under rainbows of pure joy, and I swear - suddenly the world had more colors in it than it had before.


<333

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189 ... 519  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brian, lobsteriffic and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer