| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189 ... 519  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

kilgore trout wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
I hate Good Friday. I don't want to listen to everyone at work bisque and freak out how they can't eat meat. Dudes if you actually believe in your religion & your reasons for abstaining from meat today the shut the fork up & deal

Oh gosh. A good number of my coworkers are Catholic teenagers and the other night at a staff meeting they were groaning about how hard it is to not eat meat one day a week during Lent. One of the not-Catholic kids was amazed and insisted that he could never do it. Seriously?

well i mean come on. we all know vegetables are gross and all us vegans should totally be dead by now. and vegetarians should just be hanging on by a thin thread.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:12 pm 
Mediocre Tart

But Catholics don't eat 'meat' on any Fridays anyway though? Or does Good Friday involve not even eating (gasp!) fish? Granted I don't understand religion. I think people make their own rules up so I don't understand the griping. All the super-Christian girls I was at school with were all about no sex before marriage but bowlcuts don't count or sommat. I don't remember their reason because we were all 12 and I didn't have a ruddy clue what they were on about. Sorry. Tangent. Unless we're talking about getting protein again...

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:33 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think the no-meat-on-every-Friday thing is no longer followed.
i do think it used to be that way. i have a vague memory of my mom trying not to cook meat on fridays when we were young but i dont think many Catholics follow that year round anymore.

cause it's really hard not to eat meat one day a week.

i think fish is still ok during Lent because like i said i have to listen to people at work bisque and moan during lent and i think fish is ok to them.

not sure if im correct on the above but that's my impresion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 pm 
Mediocre Tart

ha, well, "fish on a friday" is definitely still a thing here.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

Catholics don't eat meat on Fridays (except for fish) from Lent until Easter. My family, which is Roman Catholic, always followed it and we would have fish Fridays. Most of the other Catholic families I knew also ate fish dinners on Fridays. But honestly, it is all pick and choose. They choose no meat on Fridays but are a little loose with that love thy neighbor stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:33 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

interrobang?! wrote:
But Catholics don't eat 'meat' on any Fridays anyway though? Or does Good Friday involve not even eating (gasp!) fish? Granted I don't understand religion. I think people make their own rules up so I don't understand the griping. All the super-Christian girls I was at school with were all about no sex before marriage but bowlcuts don't count or sommat. I don't remember their reason because we were all 12 and I didn't have a ruddy clue what they were on about. Sorry. Tangent. Unless we're talking about getting protein again...

Here, people only really observe that during Lent. I was raised Catholic and that's how we did it. "Meat" doesn't include fish, though, and I think children under a certain age (12?) don't have to participate.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:38 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

choirqueer wrote:
Not to justify eating meat, of course, but sometimes certain customs are more meaningful to people than others. So maybe that particular custom has meaning to this person in a way that other Jewish practices don't. The significance of kosher-for-Passover practices is totally different from the reasons behind the year-round kosher dietary laws. I could see why someone would observe that practice even if other traditions of Judaism aren't important for them.
Fair enough; it just struck me as incongruous, but I admit to being pretty ignorant about the nuts and bolts of Judaism! As I say, he's an old friend and I've never mentioned anything about it to him, because people have all sorts of reasons for doing/observing/believing stuff (heaven knows I do).

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:26 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Desdemona wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Not to justify eating meat, of course, but sometimes certain customs are more meaningful to people than others. So maybe that particular custom has meaning to this person in a way that other Jewish practices don't. The significance of kosher-for-Passover practices is totally different from the reasons behind the year-round kosher dietary laws. I could see why someone would observe that practice even if other traditions of Judaism aren't important for them.
Fair enough; it just struck me as incongruous, but I admit to being pretty ignorant about the nuts and bolts of Judaism! As I say, he's an old friend and I've never mentioned anything about it to him, because people have all sorts of reasons for doing/observing/believing stuff (heaven knows I do).

It's actually really common for people who otherwise ignore Judaism to go all out for Passover. It's our one big fussy holiday, and the closest thing to an overblown "holiday season" that we have.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:21 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh, I hate it that its apparently acceptable to be rude about vegan food in a way no one would be rude about other food. "Oh is that Indian food? It tastes like shiitake." "Oh is that Italian food? It tastes like crepe." "Oh is that diabetic cake? It tastes like asparagus."

People seem to think its okay to dismiss all vegan food because they didn't like one dish, and its apparently okay to do it without any consideration for feelings of the person who bothered to make you a meal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

interrobang?! wrote:

Bowlcuts! I laughed reading this! But it could be the wine talkin'.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:56 pm 
***LIES!!!***

choirqueer wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
I have a friend who, while of culturally Jewish extraction, is completely irreligious and unobservant of his Judaism except during Passover, when he suddenly becomes more orthodox and keeps more kosher than [God]. I mean, people do stuff for their own reasons and I've never said anything to him, but it strikes me as ludicrous to eat lobster or a bacon cheeseburger one day and the next be all, "Bread? I can't eat bread during Passover!"

What choirqueer said, plus the restrictions of Passover have a very clear rationale that many Jews connect to (remembering liberation). The regular laws of kashrut have no given rationale at all. Passover is the most widely observed Jewish tradition among Jews of all extractions.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Ariann wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
I have a friend who, while of culturally Jewish extraction, is completely irreligious and unobservant of his Judaism except during Passover, when he suddenly becomes more orthodox and keeps more kosher than [God]. I mean, people do stuff for their own reasons and I've never said anything to him, but it strikes me as ludicrous to eat lobster or a bacon cheeseburger one day and the next be all, "Bread? I can't eat bread during Passover!"

What choirqueer said, plus the restrictions of Passover have a very clear rationale that many Jews connect to (remembering liberation). The regular laws of kashrut have no given rationale at all. Passover is the most widely observed Jewish tradition among Jews of all extractions.
This all makes sense - thanks so much!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:49 pm 
Grandfathered In

Tofulish wrote:
Ugh, I hate it that its apparently acceptable to be rude about vegan food in a way no one would be rude about other food. "Oh is that Indian food? It tastes like shiitake." "Oh is that Italian food? It tastes like crepe." "Oh is that diabetic cake? It tastes like asparagus."

People seem to think its okay to dismiss all vegan food because they didn't like one dish, and its apparently okay to do it without any consideration for feelings of the person who bothered to make you a meal.

I'll never forget the time one of my coworkers saw me unwrapping a tofu burger thing (Seattleites: it was a messy Hillside Quickie burger) in the kitchen. She said, "That looks like dog shiitake."

And she's about the sweetest, least confrontational person ever.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:55 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I was reheating ancho-chilli lentils at work t'other week and a colleague remarked, "that smells really good for something that isn't meat"

Eh?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:34 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I actually think meat eaters are just insane. Like properly insane. Evil, hateful insane people. I know that is generalising them but bring up the hypocrisy of their actions.... being outraged at a dog killing some lambs but ignoring the fact that in a few weeks the same lambs would be killed for them to eat...... and they go all loopy. It's like their brain can't process it at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:27 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Tofulish wrote:

Ugh, I hate this. On Thanksgiving one of my former high school teachers posted a picture of a Tofurkey on facebook and a bunch of students and two other teachers commented something to the tune of "EWW," "gross," "really? Why are you eating that?" etc. I wanted really badly to ask on exactly what planet it's okay to talk about other peoples' food like that, but I didn't want to start shiitake on (someone else's) facebook with people I didn't really know.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

daisychain wrote:
I actually think meat eaters are just insane. Like properly insane. Evil, hateful insane people. I know that is generalising them but bring up the hypocrisy of their actions.... being outraged at a dog killing some lambs but ignoring the fact that in a few weeks the same lambs would be killed for them to eat...... and they go all loopy. It's like their brain can't process it at all.

Are you being serious? If so, this is really out of line. Most of us here ate meat at some point in our lives, and many of my friends and loved ones eat meat. I do not think they are evil, hateful insane people.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:00 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I think at some point or another we've all reached a point of frustration with the cognitive dissonance of the people who surround us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:13 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Quarantined wrote:
daisychain wrote:

Are you being serious? If so, this is really out of line. Most of us here ate meat at some point in our lives, and many of my friends and loved ones eat meat. I do not think they are evil, hateful insane people.

I said it more in the heat of the moment. I do apologise if it caused offence! I was in the middle of a head banging against the wall with frustration moment after reading some comments online.

On another note, apparently all our muscles are going to be eaten away by acid because we don't eat meat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 am 
WELFARIST!

Went out for lunch yesterday at a Japanese steakhouse and ordered tofu teriyaki. The plate was only tofu, sauce, and one million onions. So okay, whatever, I like tofu so no big deal. I take a bite and it was...disgusting. First off, it was just huge chunks of silken tofu, so...gross (for me). Then they had battered and fried it in tempura batter, but that combined with the sauce made this gummy, slimy mess. I ate about 3 pieces before I threw in the towel and then spent the entire rest of the day/night with a horrible tummyache. I don't know if I blame the tofu or the fact that I also had tempura veggies that were really greasy, but holy hell was it nasty. I hate it when tofu is gross. My manfriend said, 'See, that's what turns me off of tofu.' And I understood completely! If I was an omni and that was my first tofu experience, I would never, ever eat it again. Blarf.

Oh, so I guess my pet peeve is when tofu is unappealing, because it gives tofu a bad name.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Quarantined wrote:
daisychain wrote:

It should also be noted that everyone, including everyone on these here boards, practices cognitive dissonance in some way. We're all blind by ignorance or intention to issues we don't want to address.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am 
Married to the wolfman

AP, that is my pet peeve too. I didn't eat tofu for like the first 12 years I was vegetarian because every time I'd had it, it was some sort of awful sad silken mess. When I finally learned how to cook it myself, I was so pissed I'd been missing out that whole time.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 am 
WELFARIST!

coldandsleepy wrote:
AP, that is my pet peeve too. I didn't eat tofu for like the first 12 years I was vegetarian because every time I'd had it, it was some sort of awful sad silken mess. When I finally learned how to cook it myself, I was so pissed I'd been missing out that whole time.

Yep! When I finally realized that there was tofu out there that wasn't silken yucky nasty (I mean, I use it blended for creamy things, but I really don't think it should ever be eaten plain, except maybe in miso soup), I was like, 'Oh!' But it's difficult to persuade an omnivore that has had a bad tofu experience that it can be awesome, because bad tofu experiences are so bad.

Also, I'm sure him watching me, a vegan, struggle with that tofu was just a confirmation for him that it will never pass his lips in chunk form. I kept saying, 'Listen, I LOVE tofu, but this is horrible. Just THIS tofu is horrible! I swear!' haha

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Last edited by allularpunk on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:17 am 
And you never will.

Oh man, YES times a million to the tofu thing. I had one terrible experience, and then wouldn't eat it the entire time I was vegetarian, and for the first few months of being vegan. Then I went to a local Vietnamese place with a friend and tasted her lemongrass tofu. After one bite, the heavens opened, choirs of angels started singing, puppies and unicorns frolicked past me under rainbows of pure joy, and I swear - suddenly the world had more colors in it than it had before.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:19 am 
WELFARIST!

poopiebitch wrote:
Then I went to a local Vietnamese place with a friend and tasted her lemongrass tofu. After one bite, the heavens opened, choirs of angels started singing, puppies and unicorns frolicked past me under rainbows of pure joy, and I swear - suddenly the world had more colors in it than it had before.

<333

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189 ... 519  Next