| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1363, 1364, 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369 ... 1860  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:00 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Mr. Shankly wrote:

Yes! Awesomeness!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

It's 10:57pm and I just realized that all I've eaten today is a bowl of soup and a chocolate creme egg (vegan obviously, I made it myself).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

but, in other news, I made vegan chocolate creme eggs? Yay.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Jealous!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

kilgore trout wrote:
My dad is scat-singing the horn line from "Thrift Shop" right now. What is even happening right now.

Love this!

One day at work, I was helping a couple in their mid-60s. While the wife and I were setting up their purchase, the husband was singing along with the Evanescence song that the store was playing. Totally cracked me up (on the inside - kept it professional and all on the outside). I love when people break stereotypes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Man, I love Tom Waits.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:00 am 
WELFARIST!

Wow, I didn't know that Chinua Achebe died last month!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:10 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Last day of freedom. I'm so ready for the sniffles to be gone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:24 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

So stressed about going to the bank to find out if I can get a loan for the car tomorrow. Like, so stressed. Money is one of the few things in life that can really break me down. I know that might seem stupid, because eh it's just money, but...still. I didn't sleep at all last night because what if they don't approve me? What if they do approve me, but I can't find another job to cover the payments? If/when they do approve me...buying a car! Ack! I freak out about spending $50 at the grocery store, how am I going to reconcile spending $4000 - $5000 on a used car? Heart/tummy/brain hurt.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:26 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I went through all those stresses too. Took me 2 months after I got the loan to get over the fact that I had to get a loan out. Just keep telling yourself that the worst they can say is no. If they do then they do. Your next approach will be to ask them how much they would be willing to give you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:47 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

daisychain wrote:
I went through all those stresses too. Took me 2 months after I got the loan to get over the fact that I had to get a loan out. Just keep telling yourself that the worst they can say is no. If they do then they do. Your next approach will be to ask them how much they would be willing to give you.

I'm mostly worried about not being able to get another job to cover the payments, but also my credit isn't great (student loans out the wazoo), so. I will feel a lot better once I just get an answer.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, the waiting around is super stressful. I've plenty of debt too including a mortgage on a house that is now worth half what I got the mortgage for thanks to an economy collapsing and my wages down by 28% in 3 years. Also have no prospect of improving my earnings thanks to a recruitment embargo and the fact that we aren't allowed to have a second job if we work in the public sector. The finance company still gave me the money.

When I had the loan I met with my own bank to regig some of my finances around so that I would be more likely to meet repayments on all loans I had. It was really hard for the first 2 months. Most of the time I didn't use my car unless I was travelling to or from work and food was incredibly basic. Still though.... the constant worrying while waiting to find out what the story is is really tough.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

You guys, I think my laptop battery is crapping out on me. Whenever I plugged my laptop in, the battery wasn't re-charging at all this morning, no matter what plug I used (this just started this morning where it completely won't recharged--tried plugging into several outlets that I know work, tightening plugs and wires, etc) but for the past week, I've noticed some problems getting it to start charging but then it caught on, so was fine. So anyhoo, I had 57% left and I went online to see how to fix and I went onto a techhie website and it said to power down and remove the battery and press the power of the laptop to clear the charge or something, then replace the battery, plug everything back in and see if it powers up and it din't. In fact, it said I only had 13% battery left (this is impossible--only five minutes earlier, it was 57%) and so I thought maybe I put the battery in wrong so I did the whole thing again and it's down to maybe 6% (I don't know, it doesn't even tell me anymore) so I'm sitting here waiting for the battery to completely peter out just to see what happens.

I already called a techno place to see if they have the battery in stock and they do so I'll go tomorrow. But I hope that's all that's wrong! Don't really want to buy a new laptop right now.

Also, when I removed the battery the first time, this tiny piece came out too and I put it aside, thinking it was some essential part (but it doesn't look essential--just like a tiny square of plastic that maybe came off a hinge or somthing) but anyway, I don't know what it is and I can't find it now as I was wildy ransacking about trying to fix the battery problem and now I've misplaced it.

Also, update since I began writing this epic saga: my computer is still going. There's a big red X through the battery though and it isn't telling me how much more time it has left, the mustard.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

The battery didn't die so I just shut it off so I can do my work-work now because I need it out of the way and folded up on my desk so I'll never see the dark side of no man's battery land. This way there's power conserved so the puter people can see what's going on when I take the laptop down with me the shop tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's just the battery, nothing else seems to be wrong. I hope that little part that's gone missing isn't anything essential but I'm thinking it's unlikely. The computer was otherwise working fine even after I lost the little part and powered it up, it's just the battery/power cord stuff that seems forked up...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:31 pm 
WRETCHED

seitanicverses wrote:
The battery didn't die so I just shut it off so I can do my work-work now because I need it out of the way and folded up on my desk so I'll never see the dark side of no man's battery land. This way there's power conserved so the puter people can see what's going on when I take the laptop down with me the shop tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's just the battery, nothing else seems to be wrong. I hope that little part that's gone missing isn't anything essential but I'm thinking it's unlikely. The computer was otherwise working fine even after I lost the little part and powered it up, it's just the battery/power cord stuff that seems forked up...

If you plug in your power cord, does the light come on indicating that it is plugged in? If not, then yeah it is probably just the connection flaked for the power cord. My old computer used to do that. I fixed it once, then a year later it happaned again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

linanil wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

If you plug in your power cord, does the light come on indicating that it is plugged in? If not, then yeah it is probably just the connection flaked for the power cord. My old computer used to do that. I fixed it once, then a year later it happaned again.

yeah, the indicator light doesn't go on and there's usually this "wah-wah" beep that goes off to indicate it's switched to power (from battery) and it's not making that noise--it's like it doesn't detect the power cord.

I'm trying to remember when I bought the last battery. Maybe eighteen months ago? It wasn't perfect from the start, it didn't fit quite right (worked fine, but a part of the battery jutted out of the laptop) and also seemed to cause some errors that I hadn't seen in my laptop before but it all sorted out and I got used to it. Also, maybe my laptop's getting old? I got it in 2008 and I use it pretty much daily. Hate when it's down though because I can't write so I need it fixed tomorrow. I think I need a new battery and power cord. I think they both come together though, don't they? If they don't, I figure the shop can fix me up with one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 pm 
WRETCHED

seitanicverses wrote:
linanil wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

yeah, the indicator light doesn't go on and there's usually this "wah-wah" beep that goes off to indicate it's switched to power (from battery) and it's not making that noise--it's like it doesn't detect the power cord.

I'm trying to remember when I bought the last battery. Maybe eighteen months ago? It wasn't perfect from the start, it didn't fit quite right (worked fine, but a part of the battery jutted out of the laptop) and also seemed to cause some errors that I hadn't seen in my laptop before but it all sorted out and I got used to it. Also, maybe my laptop's getting old? I got it in 2008 and I use it pretty much daily. Hate when it's down though because I can't write so I need it fixed tomorrow. I think I need a new battery and power cord. I think they both come together though, don't they? If they don't, I figure the shop can fix me up with one.

You shouldn't need a new battery, just power cord connection fixed. You can actually take your battery out or use a computer with a completely dead battery if the power cord is working. I'm guessing it is the connection between the power cord and the laptop.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks! I just tried taking the battery out and using the power cord and it's completely dead that way so I think you're right. I hope they have power cords down at the shop? The one I have seems pretty standard--or if it's the connection they can fix on the spot or whatever if it's more than just the cord? I've been to this place once before and the service was good and it's a on-the-spot fixit type place downtown. They quoted me $59.00 for a new battery and I feel like I paid $100 last time (because I hadn't figured out the power cord thing when I called the shop and thought it was just the battery so I told them that's what I needed) so I feel like the prices on my laptop supplies are going down maybe because it's old? I don't know, but it seems cheaper than I remember.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:01 pm 
WRETCHED

seitanicverses wrote:
Thanks! I just tried taking the battery out and using the power cord and it's completely dead that way so I think you're right. I hope they have power cords down at the shop? The one I have seems pretty standard--or if it's the connection they can fix on the spot or whatever if it's more than just the cord? I've been to this place once before and the service was good and it's a on-the-spot fixit type place downtown. They quoted me $59.00 for a new battery and I feel like I paid $100 last time (because I hadn't figured out the power cord thing when I called the shop and thought it was just the battery so I told them that's what I needed) so I feel like the prices on my laptop supplies are going down maybe because it's old? I don't know, but it seems cheaper than I remember.

I'd take your power supply with you as they can differ even among the same brand.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:00 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

allularpunk wrote:
daisychain wrote:

I'm mostly worried about not being able to get another job to cover the payments, but also my credit isn't great (student loans out the wazoo), so. I will feel a lot better once I just get an answer.

I don't know if your bank is different but this is one of the things I was worried about with getting a loan on my house and was very reassured that its basically their job to analyze my financial situation to make sure I can make those payments. If I made $1600/month and my rent is $1600? No, they will not loan me money because I can't pay them back.

So worst case scenario probably is that they say no and you have to reevaluate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

One of my netflix categories today is "Movies starring Fruits, Vegetables, and Fungi". I so hope this is a real category created by my taste preferences and not an April Fools joke.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

linanil wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

I'd take your power supply with you as they can differ even among the same brand.

Yes, I was going to take my power cord too with the laptop and battery. I actually remember now that when I had my battery replaced eighteen months ago, they replaced the power cord, too at that time (because my power cord was sparking because the wires were exposed) and they had that in stock and replaced it on the spot so hopefully it will be an easy matter tomorrow. Thanks for your help, linalil! <3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
One of my netflix categories today is "Movies starring Fruits, Vegetables, and Fungi". I so hope this is a real category created by my taste preferences and not an April Fools joke.

That. Is. Awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

That is awesome!

One of mine was "Movies Featuring an Epic Nicolas Cage Meltdown," which is actually kind of embarrassingly relevant to my interests. I totally hope they are getting really specialized with their recommendations.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

ijustdiedinside wrote:

That. Is. Awesome!

Hahaha. I know that's too awesome. I am trying to create a character for the fungi as that's the one I want to see in a movie most. He's...a slow insiduous born villain that no one sees coming before he takes over? He's a wuvable, unappreciated...mold...who's revealed to have a heart of gold? He comes out of hiding from behind the bathroom shower walls and has a beauty makeover and is transformed from an ugly duckling into a bonsai-like swan (when grown in abundance)? And then the shower scum falls in wuv with him (and breaks his heart)?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1363, 1364, 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369 ... 1860  Next