| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Betty Goes Vegan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

People are being too hard on this book for the fake meat thing. I mean, there are lots of books that teach how to make seitan etc. This book actually does fill a niche and it does something different. It is t Skinny bisque make a sandwich out of vegan bread, vegan ham, vegan mustard, vegan Swiss that doesn't exist, and vegan mayo.

Hopefully most people are smart enough to understand that one cookbook does not encompass the only way to ever eat and cook vegan. It's also a lot of pressure to put on a cookbook--being responsible for veganism. This may have been true with a book like Vegan With a Vengeance because it showed a lot of us that we could eat tasty food (and taught me how to cook!), but these days, with so much to choose from, I doubt any single vegan cookbook is going to be as pivotal again.

All I ever do with Gardein is bake and eat, all by its lonesome, when I'm tired and lazy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:59 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

lavawitch wrote:
People are being too hard on this book for the fake meat thing. I mean, there are lots of books that teach how to make seitan etc. This book actually does fill a niche and it does something different. It is t Skinny bisque make a sandwich out of vegan bread, vegan ham, vegan mustard, vegan Swiss that doesn't exist, and vegan mayo.

I don't do fake meats very often and when I do it's pretty basic stuff. But I was given a cookbook that is largely recipes like what you've written and I find it completely disheartening. Someone tried to give me a nice cookbook but it is by and large a waste of paper with recipes like melon wrapped in vegan ham and the like. But I've got some frozen gardein scallopini in my freezer that I sort of don't know what to do with and Betty Goes Vegan is sounding more and more to me like it actually has a purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Honestly, I started out very skeptical of this book and not wanting it because of the fake meats/cheese thing...but this thread has kind of pushed me in the other direction and now I think it may be kind of neat to get it just to make use of those things. From time to time the husband hits gold and gets Gardein for $1.50-$2.00 per pack, and like lavawitch, we basically bake and eat. Or maybe toss it with some pasta.

It also may have some value for our family because I'm hoping that cooking will be shifting more toward the husband within the next few years once I get start a career and he does...whatever he winds up doing. This may be a really good bridge for him. Even if the recipes are a little fussy, I think he would have more confidence in cooking with subs since he could cook fine pre-veg but isn't comfortable with a bag of vital wheat gluten or cashews destined to become cheese.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We made the diablo beefless lentil chili mac. It's a little spicy and smoky, and the recipe made a ton. Tasty!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

Awesome sauce! I made the vegan venison with cranberry and wine sauce tonight. It was so yummy! I've made 5 things so far from this book, and every one has been a hit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the Bourbon Street Chicken Po Boys tonight, and damn. So good. The sauce was really tremendous, and went great with the Creole Vegenaise. I'm all for any book telling me how to fancy up my favorite condiment in the whole world- Vegenaise! Really, I love and use fake meat and cheese/dairy subs all the time. It's nice to have a book that helps me get creative with the stuff I cook with regularly. While I also enjoy cooking fresh foods from scratch, I don't always have time. Betty is going to be a really fun book for me, I can tell.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just made the peanut butter eggs. Very yummy! I do love things with peanut butter. I did have some trouble getting the peanut butter goo to stick to the cookies. And i ended up just covering the tops with chocolate. Next time i will make them a little smaller, too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:48 am 
Nailed to the V

I wish Canada had more of the "fishy" options. then :D I''d buy the book :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yesterday I made the black pepper tofu macaroni salad and although it started out promising, the dressing completely ruined it, and I'm thinking it must have been due to a typo. Everything was going along fine and dandy until I came to the part where you're supposed to mix the vegenaise with 2 TBSP of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning along with some other spices. Now, it was a giant bowl of pasta salad so even though it seemed like a lot, I went ahead and added the whole amount... I even TASTED the dressing and was like "Wow, that's really salty..." but I was thinking that maybe it was just because it was such a huge amount that it'd even out once mixed in.

Well, it didn't. It was incredibly salty and I was kicking myself for not trusting my instincts. Unless the authors of this book are huge salt fiends, I'm thinking it must have meant maybe 2 tsp. I ended up having to chuck it in the garbage, especially after I tried to "dilute" the saltiness by adding in some unsweetened plain soy milk (Silk), which just made everything taste like a vanilla salt lick. So gross. Anyway, I might try re-attempting this recipe some other time by using a greatly reduced amount of Tony's, since it seemed like it was going to be really tasty before I added in the dressing. My partner and I both kept stealing pieces of the baked tofu off of the cookie sheet before adding it to the salad, so I might make that again just by itself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

what a bummer :(

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Freetahtah wrote:
Yesterday I made the black pepper tofu macaroni salad and although it started out promising, the dressing completely ruined it, and I'm thinking it must have been due to a typo. Everything was going along fine and dandy until I came to the part where you're supposed to mix the vegenaise with 2 TBSP of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning along with some other spices. Now, it was a giant bowl of pasta salad so even though it seemed like a lot, I went ahead and added the whole amount... I even TASTED the dressing and was like "Wow, that's really salty..." but I was thinking that maybe it was just because it was such a huge amount that it'd even out once mixed in.

Well, it didn't. It was incredibly salty and I was kicking myself for not trusting my instincts. Unless the authors of this book are huge salt fiends, I'm thinking it must have meant maybe 2 tsp. I ended up having to chuck it in the garbage, especially after I tried to "dilute" the saltiness by adding in some unsweetened plain soy milk (Silk), which just made everything taste like a vanilla salt lick. So gross. Anyway, I might try re-attempting this recipe some other time by using a greatly reduced amount of Tony's, since it seemed like it was going to be really tasty before I added in the dressing. My partner and I both kept stealing pieces of the baked tofu off of the cookie sheet before adding it to the salad, so I might make that again just by itself.

I had this problem with the red beans and rice recipe (2 tablespoons Tony's), but there's a high chance that it's my fault since I made a number of subs (beer for wine and extra tempeh bacon). I wonder if they had some kind of low-salt version of the seasoning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

they do, but i don't think i've seen it at my store....
there is a "lite" version and a salt-free version that claims to have a salt substitute ingredient? no idea what that is!

http://shop.tonychachere.com/seasonings-c-8030.html

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:09 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
I wonder if they had some kind of low-salt version of the seasoning.

For the Bourbon Po Boys, I ended up buying a small container of Frontier brand Cajun seasoning to use instead of the Chachere's, it was salt-free and tasted great. There was plenty of salt from other ingredients in the sauce, so it didn't need more from the seasoning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:20 pm 

I'm pretty sure Julie Hasson uses 2T of that Tony's creole seasoning in her jambalaya. But that is a completely different dish and all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The sesame beefless lo mein is really good. Subbed green beans for snap peas and soy sauce for braggs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Dynise Balcavage is giving away two copies on her blog: http://urbanvegan.net/2013/04/review-an ... -goes.html

Also, bacon cheeseburger potato pie!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Third post in a row. Is no one else cooking from this thing?

I made the jambalaya with a few subs. Sophie's Kitchen shrimp instead of maywah, Frontier cajun seasoning instead of Tony Chachere, and Field Roast sausage instead of Tofurky. It was the first time I've used that shrimp, and I don't think I'd buy it again. It has an odd texture, doesn't really taste like anything, and has basically no nutritional value one way or another. The dish was pretty good overall, but I've tried a couple other jambalayas I prefer, so I doubt I'll make it again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:43 pm 

Honestly, there are so many recipes that I'm finding which recipe to choose next a little overwhelming! But I decided to make the Cordon Blue pizza tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:51 pm 

I just saw a cooking demo by the two authors! They made the cheesy macaroni salad with lemon pepper tofu. it was quite tasty. I am not a huge fan of Daiya, especially when raw, but i really enjoyed it in this dish. They also had peanut butter banana chocolate chip cookies, which were amazing. They were soft and chewy.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:54 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

mollyjade wrote:
I had this problem with the red beans and rice recipe (2 tablespoons Tony's), but there's a high chance that it's my fault since I made a number of subs (beer for wine and extra tempeh bacon). I wonder if they had some kind of low-salt version of the seasoning.

I tried the recipe again being careful to follow it exactly, and it just doesn't work as written.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:04 pm 

Actually, at the cooking demo i went to, they said there was a typo in the ingredients in the macaroni salad recipe regarding the amount of Tony's. I think they said it shouldve been teaspoons instead of tablespoons, but it might have been 1 tbs instead of two.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:55 am 

I made the Black Pepper Tofu Reubens and they were awesome. The tofu tasted like roast beef- all salty and smokey. I definitely recommend the tofu for sandwiches.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:11 am 
Huffs Nooch

Last night I didn't know what to make, but knew I wanted pasta so I flipped through this book and realized I had most of the ingredients for the white bean and artichoke heart alfredo. As I was making it I kept thinking, this is a really strange recipe, sure hope it turns out...

It was amazing!!! I didn't have sour cream or cream cheese so I replaced those ingredients with some garlic aioli that was hanging out in the fridge, I subbed chickpeas for the white beans cuz I didn't have any, and I added a leftover cubed chicken seitan cutlet and a bunch of chopped spinach and viola absolutely to die for! Next time I think I'm going to sub cashews and broth for the sour cream/cream cheese which I think will work perfectly. I used to be a fettuccine alfredo fiend so I'm super happy to find such a rich and luscious sauce that fills this niche.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:05 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I sorta new what I was in for when I bought this, but I quickly sold it as none of the recipes appealed to me.

Yeah its a fun, kitcsh novelty type read, but it's bascially just vegan junk food (of which there already is a book).

Give me Appetite For Reduction or Veganomicon anyday over this junk. Not recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

otherdimension wrote:
Yeah its a fun, kitcsh novelty type read

yes to that, but

Quote:
but it's bascially just vegan junk food (of which there already is a book).

not at all! I mean, there are some crazy junkfoody recipes in there (cheeseburger pie!), but mostly there are some pretty normal meals that just happen to use gardein or whatever, which is really no worse for you than seitan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next