| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Google Reader
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:49 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

google giveth and taketh away the link to greader.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ndpittman wrote:
I signed up for feedly, but I don't see an option to just use it in the browser--does it have to be a chrome add on?

i tried feedly the other day, just to dork around and see what it's like, and i can use it in the browser, but i'm using safari. not sure if that makes a difference? my little bookmarklet that i made says feedly.com/home#my, if that's any help whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:37 pm 
Naked Under Apron

SweetT wrote:
google giveth and taketh away the link to greader.

I know! Dang, why do they have to rush it?

I haven't found a replacement yet that I like (gave up on The Old Reader when it said there were 40,000 people ahead of me to have their subscriptions imported), but I'm going to try Bloglovin next.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

my link to google reader still works... what do you guys mean? i feel like i'm in a magical portal or something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:49 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah, mine went away, too; that's why I decided today was the day. I kind of like how on bloglovin' I am on the actual blog pages, but can still just hit next to go to the next one. That fixes the issue I had with some blogs' photos not formatting for Google Reader right.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:18 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

bluedawg wrote:
my link to google reader still works... what do you guys mean? i feel like i'm in a magical portal or something.

it depends on how you access greader.
if you use the menu bar at the top, the link to greader has been removed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

aah, that makes sense. thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:02 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

SweetT wrote:
bluedawg wrote:

It's last day is June 30th. They're giving us enough time to find a new one and transfer our stuff over.

[quote}

It's still there, 7th down, right under blogger on the Google home page.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I do most of my reading on my phone (I used to use RSS Reader) and I've moved to feedly. I think it'll take some getting used to and it annoys me that I can't really tell what's read and unread. But I think I'll get used to it and I'm pleased they're promising a seamless transfer. So annoying they're shutting it down, why?! I'd have cheerfully payed a small fee, surely that would have made it worth their while..
Heh heh- edited to change "shitting it down" and "smell fee"! Doing this on my phone too!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:17 pm 
Naked Under Apron

veggiesue wrote:
SweetT wrote:

It's still there, 7th down, right under blogger on the Google home page.

It's back now, but it was gone for a couple days. Those were hard times. ;)

Just out of curiosity, how many blogs do you guys subscribe to? Mine are currently being imported into Bloglovin (I think I like it?), and I was surprised to see I have 143! Some are probably inactive, but still. Probably 130 of them are about food...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:08 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Amy wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how many blogs do you guys subscribe to? Mine are currently being imported into Bloglovin (I think I like it?), and I was surprised to see I have 143! Some are probably inactive, but still. Probably 130 of them are about food...

I think I have over 300 just in the VeganMoFo tab! I probably have at least triple that or more all together, between all the crafting and animal blogs as well as all the "healthy" veg ones (McDougall, Fuhrman, etc.).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:44 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Okay, so I'm finally getting around to working this out and I think I need help!

I have a Blogger blog, that's google right? So when I sign into my blog all of the blogs I read are just there next to my reading list and I can scroll down and read them by opening them in new windows. Is this going to disappear? There's a "view in google reader" button to the right of all of it but I only ever use that during MoFo so I guess my question is do I need new reader thing or will the thing I usually use to read blogs still exist because it's kind of part of my blog?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:20 am 
WELFARIST!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:19 am 

I logged into feedly today and none of my blogs are there. This is giving me an odd amount of anxiety.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

does anyone know what replacement IFTTT.com is going to go with? they have a "feed" option, but i'm pretty sure that's for individual feeds, and not readers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:27 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I seriously just stopped reading blogs. It opens up a new freedom but also makes me really sad. I used Bloglovin but then I had a busy week and I don't understand their system for posts being marked as read, and I liked how google reader showed the whole post so I could just scroll through like the zombie blog-reader I am.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 am 

vijita wrote:
I seriously just stopped reading blogs. It opens up a new freedom but also makes me really sad. I used Bloglovin but then I had a busy week and I don't understand their system for posts being marked as read, and I liked how google reader showed the whole post so I could just scroll through like the zombie blog-reader I am.

Exactly!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:59 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

ndpittman wrote:
vijita wrote:

Exactly!!

Bloglovin is terrible and I just tried Feedly (since it seems to be the popular choice) and... I don't like it. I want to easily see if my feeds have been updated and quickly scroll through headlines, stopping to read if something catches my interest. I also like having the ability to save stuff I want to come back to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:58 pm 
Naked Under Apron

You can do that on feedly! You can save for later or keep as unread. You can also have it show you a list of summaries or whole posts. I was annoyed by it until I went into settings and played around a bit. Now it's more like Google Reader for me, and the only thing that is annoying me about it is that it seems like every time I log in, it looks different. Like, hey, wasn't there a button for doing x in that spot before? And why is the full blog list hidden on my work comp but not at home? Confusing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:24 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Amy wrote:
You can do that on feedly! You can save for later or keep as unread. You can also have it show you a list of summaries or whole posts. I was annoyed by it until I went into settings and played around a bit. Now it's more like Google Reader for me, and the only thing that is annoying me about it is that it seems like every time I log in, it looks different. Like, hey, wasn't there a button for doing x in that spot before? And why is the full blog list hidden on my work comp but not at home? Confusing.

Well sort of. It seems to be forgetting my changes all the time which is terribly annoying. I still can't easily see if there are new items without going to the tab though.

On the topic of Google (who kept making Reader less usable by adding tons of empty space everywhere): what the hell have they done to compose (mail)? It's awful! Gaaaaaah!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I started using feedly today and I kinda like it? I pretty much only used Google Reader when I did stuff for projects and then I would forget about it for months.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:55 am 

I had a duh moment and realized why my feedly 'wasn't working.' (It was linked to my work gmail and not my personal gmail.) You can also select to have it work in an incognito browser. I'm pretty excited about it again. I liked Bloglovin because sometimes blogs weren't formatted right for Greader, but I don't know. Something bothered me about unread count and ordering or something. I don't even know. Why do I let Google have this much control over my life?!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:30 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I've been using Feedly since it was suggested here. They had a new release of it earlier this week and all the problems I (and others) had with it are now gone. It's much closer to acting like Google reader now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The only thing I don't like about Feedly, and this is for selfish reasons, is not being able to share a bundle. I've written with the founder back and forth a bit (!!), and they'e not looking to integrate that any time soon. There are ways around it, elsewhere, but I'm a little bummed because I was really digging the feel of Feedly.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:54 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i just signed in today. they say it'll be gone june 1st. :-(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next