| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:56 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I just spent so much time looking at frocksandfroufrou. She is so cute! I love her style. That is pretty much how I would want to dress if I had the money and the body type. I am currently a size 16 but I can't find anything that fits right because I am short and an apple shape and nothing seems to work for me. Clothes shopping is really frustrating.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Fatshion blogs! Links galore!

Anomalous Allure
Fatshionable
Pretty in Plus
Saks in the City
Young, Fat, and Fabulous

Lesley and Marianne (Two Whole Cakes and The Rotund, respectively) only occasionally do outfit posts, but both of their blogs are absolutely worth reading. They do a podcast too! Which is awesome.

Two Whole Cakes
The Rotund

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

paprikapapaya wrote:
I ended up going with this dress for the holiday party:

http://images.asos.com/inv/media/0/8/1/3/1143180/black/image1xl.jpg
http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Curve-Exc ... &clr=Black

It's coming from the UK but the shipping is super quick, and the stuff on that site is pretty decently priced even with shipping. This dress cost me less than if I bought it at the mall!

Oh I bet you will look fabulous in that dress!

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I think ASOS does free standard shipping on all US orders now - I drool over their stuff all the time, one of these days I am going to order something.

eShakti is something interesting - they have lots of cute dresses, and if you don't line up with their size charts (which definitely include plus sizes!), they can be custom-fit for $7 or 8 bucks.

http://www.eshakti.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:27 am 
Inflexitarian

Nice thread. I think I'm just on the border of plus; I can find AUS 14 or 16 (US 12 or 14?) in plenty of regular shops; admittedly they're not very trendy, but then much of the stuff in trendy, nothing-over-a-12 shops wouldn't interest me anyway. I feel like online shopping is slowly saving my wardrobe, because in the shops here there's not much of a middle ground that's stylish without being right-now fashionable. I like nicely shaped jackets, dresses that reach the top of my knees and have a defined waist, dresses and tops that have a bit of weight to them and don't have low backs or spaghetti straps, T-shirts and jeans that don't expose that magic inch of skin/flesh as soon as I bend at all. Mostly, hot weather is a huge problem for me, and I'm already reminded of that even now in late spring.

Oh, and you know that one about wrap dresses being flattering for larger/hourglass figures? Hmmm. I've tried on a couple of wrap things in my life, but I never know about the boob on the "under" side. I feel like I've built a little shelf for it. It's a bit too "lift and separate" for comfort. Thoughts on the wrap, ladies?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:22 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

In the UK, Evans has some really nice stuff (UK sizes 14 to 32), and they do international delivery.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:27 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

amandabear wrote:
Excellent idea! We're about the same size, it seems, and although I'm not completely phased out of straight-sized shopping (depending on the place and/or cut of the dress), a lot of the stuff in the regular dress-coveting thread doesn't work for me.

I've been coveting this dress for a while - I will make it mine, my preciousss.

OMG. Everyone should buy that dress. It's beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Drossie wrote:
Nice thread. I think I'm just on the border of plus; I can find AUS 14 or 16 (US 12 or 14?) in plenty of regular shops; admittedly they're not very trendy, but then much of the stuff in trendy, nothing-over-a-12 shops wouldn't interest me anyway. I feel like online shopping is slowly saving my wardrobe, because in the shops here there's not much of a middle ground that's stylish without being right-now fashionable. I like nicely shaped jackets, dresses that reach the top of my knees and have a defined waist, dresses and tops that have a bit of weight to them and don't have low backs or spaghetti straps, T-shirts and jeans that don't expose that magic inch of skin/flesh as soon as I bend at all. Mostly, hot weather is a huge problem for me, and I'm already reminded of that even now in late spring.

Oh, and you know that one about wrap dresses being flattering for larger/hourglass figures? Hmmm. I've tried on a couple of wrap things in my life, but I never know about the boob on the "under" side. I feel like I've built a little shelf for it. It's a bit too "lift and separate" for comfort. Thoughts on the wrap, ladies?

I don't own any wrap dresses, but Igigi has some great tips on what works for different shapes. I put my measurements in the shape calculator and found out I'm a figure eight, which is sort of a variation on the hourglass figure.

http://www.igigi.com/cms/shapestylist/w ... our-shape/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:19 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Nice tool!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:26 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

bunniee wrote:
Drossie wrote:

I don't own any wrap dresses, but Igigi has some great tips on what works for different shapes. I put my measurements in the shape calculator and found out I'm a figure eight, which is sort of a variation on the hourglass figure.

http://www.igigi.com/cms/shapestylist/w ... our-shape/

yeah, that's really cool! i'm a diamond shape. I had no idea, but it makes a lot of sense! I hope this helps me find some clothes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:45 pm 
Inflexitarian

Grrr, it's not working for me at the moment. I'm curious. I think according to Trinny and Susannah's plethora of shapes, I'd be a "vase".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:06 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Drossie wrote:
Grrr, it's not working for me at the moment. I'm curious. I think according to Trinny and Susannah's plethora of shapes, I'd be a "vase".

figure 8 is okay but I really wanted to be a trapezoid.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:00 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

amandabear wrote:
I think ASOS does free standard shipping on all US orders now - I drool over their stuff all the time, one of these days I am going to order something.

I have read about a LOT of people having problems with ASOS orders. Orders never arriving, items missing from orders with no explanation, items arriving damaged or dirty. So I guess it's caveat emptor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:14 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I've ordered from Asos and the ordering and shipping was fine but the dress is a medium and is super tight on me! Last time I checked I was a small-medium. I've never worn it because it's so tight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:56 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

BluePlasticStraw wrote:
amandabear wrote:

I have read about a LOT of people having problems with ASOS orders. Orders never arriving, items missing from orders with no explanation, items arriving damaged or dirty. So I guess it's caveat emptor.

That's really disappointing to hear! Not cool, ASOS.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:08 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

BluePlasticStraw wrote:
amandabear wrote:

Yikes! We'll see what happens with my dress, I ordered one from them last week (viewtopic.php?p=52022#p52022) and it's supposed to arrive on or before this Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:22 pm 

amandabear wrote:

eShakti is something interesting - they have lots of cute dresses, and if you don't line up with their size charts (which definitely include plus sizes!), they can be custom-fit for $7 or 8 bucks.

this site has some really nice stuff! i'm thinking about getting this dress for my mom's wedding

http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... 0758&pcat=

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:31 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

paprikapapaya wrote:
BluePlasticStraw wrote:
amandabear wrote:

Yikes! We'll see what happens with my dress, I ordered one from them last week (viewtopic.php?p=52022#p52022) and it's supposed to arrive on or before this Thursday.

So I got my ASOS dress in less than a week, I think it was about 4 business days. It is much bigger than I thought it would be though! I will have to get it taken in around my shoulders, which I guess is not that surprising because I do have small shoulders. Still a nice dress though!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bunniee wrote:
http://frocksandfroufrou.com

I love her blog :) I've found a few shops to order from thanks to her, like New Look.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

ijustdiedinside wrote:
amandabear wrote:

this site has some really nice stuff! i'm thinking about getting this dress for my mom's wedding

I like that! A lot of their stuff looks vaguely Anthropologie-esque, which pleases me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:09 pm 

amandabear wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
amandabear wrote:

I like that! A lot of their stuff looks vaguely Anthropologie-esque, which pleases me.

yeah, totally, but way cheaper!

i also really like this dress - http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... at=DRESSES

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I really like these two:

http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... 0915&pcat=

http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... 8781&pcat=

I've been eyeing the fish one for ages, I don't know why I haven't gotten it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:40 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Loving this one:
http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp?catalog=Clothes&srch=3x&cate=ready+to+wear&price=&color=&fabric=&shipment=&advsrch=yes&productid=CL0020704_OS&pcat=by%20size

Does anyone have an idea of how the lengths run? I'm about 5'6 and not comfortable with things that hit above the knee... which I see this does...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:54 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh my gosh, that eshakti site is great!

Am I alone in thinking this one is adorable?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

No, it's totally cute! It's got a little Mad Men vibe, I think it's the collar.

Nicole, I think you can probably have the length adjusted if you opt for custom sizing. Not sure how they run normally.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next