| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:56 am 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:49 am
Posts: 74
Location: MA
I just spent so much time looking at frocksandfroufrou. She is so cute! I love her style. That is pretty much how I would want to dress if I had the money and the body type. I am currently a size 16 but I can't find anything that fits right because I am short and an apple shape and nothing seems to work for me. Clothes shopping is really frustrating.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:50 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4648
Location: Philadelphia
Fatshion blogs! Links galore!

Anomalous Allure
Fatshionable
Pretty in Plus
Saks in the City
Young, Fat, and Fabulous

Lesley and Marianne (Two Whole Cakes and The Rotund, respectively) only occasionally do outfit posts, but both of their blogs are absolutely worth reading. They do a podcast too! Which is awesome.

Two Whole Cakes
The Rotund

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:40 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:31 pm
Posts: 1435
paprikapapaya wrote:
I ended up going with this dress for the holiday party:

http://images.asos.com/inv/media/0/8/1/3/1143180/black/image1xl.jpg
http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Curve-Exc ... &clr=Black

It's coming from the UK but the shipping is super quick, and the stuff on that site is pretty decently priced even with shipping. This dress cost me less than if I bought it at the mall!


Oh I bet you will look fabulous in that dress!

_________________
Again, you are all brilliant and sexy. And I am lavender-laden and secure in my masculinity. - Sir Brancis Facon

bird noises | book of faces


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:48 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4648
Location: Philadelphia
I think ASOS does free standard shipping on all US orders now - I drool over their stuff all the time, one of these days I am going to order something.

eShakti is something interesting - they have lots of cute dresses, and if you don't line up with their size charts (which definitely include plus sizes!), they can be custom-fit for $7 or 8 bucks.

http://www.eshakti.com

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:27 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:53 am
Posts: 755
Location: Emerald City, Oz
Nice thread. I think I'm just on the border of plus; I can find AUS 14 or 16 (US 12 or 14?) in plenty of regular shops; admittedly they're not very trendy, but then much of the stuff in trendy, nothing-over-a-12 shops wouldn't interest me anyway. I feel like online shopping is slowly saving my wardrobe, because in the shops here there's not much of a middle ground that's stylish without being right-now fashionable. I like nicely shaped jackets, dresses that reach the top of my knees and have a defined waist, dresses and tops that have a bit of weight to them and don't have low backs or spaghetti straps, T-shirts and jeans that don't expose that magic inch of skin/flesh as soon as I bend at all. Mostly, hot weather is a huge problem for me, and I'm already reminded of that even now in late spring.

Oh, and you know that one about wrap dresses being flattering for larger/hourglass figures? Hmmm. I've tried on a couple of wrap things in my life, but I never know about the boob on the "under" side. I feel like I've built a little shelf for it. It's a bit too "lift and separate" for comfort. Thoughts on the wrap, ladies?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:22 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 am
Posts: 2506
Location: UK
In the UK, Evans has some really nice stuff (UK sizes 14 to 32), and they do international delivery.

_________________
Everyone turns into Boo Radley, if they live long enough ~ seitanicverses
There are as many ways to live as there are humans in the world ~ SchwaGrrrl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:27 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7715
Location: Portland
amandabear wrote:
Excellent idea! We're about the same size, it seems, and although I'm not completely phased out of straight-sized shopping (depending on the place and/or cut of the dress), a lot of the stuff in the regular dress-coveting thread doesn't work for me.

I've been coveting this dress for a while - I will make it mine, my preciousss.

Image


OMG. Everyone should buy that dress. It's beautiful!

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:03 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:31 pm
Posts: 1435
Drossie wrote:
Nice thread. I think I'm just on the border of plus; I can find AUS 14 or 16 (US 12 or 14?) in plenty of regular shops; admittedly they're not very trendy, but then much of the stuff in trendy, nothing-over-a-12 shops wouldn't interest me anyway. I feel like online shopping is slowly saving my wardrobe, because in the shops here there's not much of a middle ground that's stylish without being right-now fashionable. I like nicely shaped jackets, dresses that reach the top of my knees and have a defined waist, dresses and tops that have a bit of weight to them and don't have low backs or spaghetti straps, T-shirts and jeans that don't expose that magic inch of skin/flesh as soon as I bend at all. Mostly, hot weather is a huge problem for me, and I'm already reminded of that even now in late spring.

Oh, and you know that one about wrap dresses being flattering for larger/hourglass figures? Hmmm. I've tried on a couple of wrap things in my life, but I never know about the boob on the "under" side. I feel like I've built a little shelf for it. It's a bit too "lift and separate" for comfort. Thoughts on the wrap, ladies?


I don't own any wrap dresses, but Igigi has some great tips on what works for different shapes. I put my measurements in the shape calculator and found out I'm a figure eight, which is sort of a variation on the hourglass figure.

http://www.igigi.com/cms/shapestylist/w ... our-shape/

_________________
Again, you are all brilliant and sexy. And I am lavender-laden and secure in my masculinity. - Sir Brancis Facon

bird noises | book of faces


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:19 pm 
Online
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7215
Location: Modesto, CA
Nice tool!

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:26 pm 
Online
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10922
Location: Astoria, NY
bunniee wrote:
Drossie wrote:
Nice thread. I think I'm just on the border of plus; I can find AUS 14 or 16 (US 12 or 14?) in plenty of regular shops; admittedly they're not very trendy, but then much of the stuff in trendy, nothing-over-a-12 shops wouldn't interest me anyway. I feel like online shopping is slowly saving my wardrobe, because in the shops here there's not much of a middle ground that's stylish without being right-now fashionable. I like nicely shaped jackets, dresses that reach the top of my knees and have a defined waist, dresses and tops that have a bit of weight to them and don't have low backs or spaghetti straps, T-shirts and jeans that don't expose that magic inch of skin/flesh as soon as I bend at all. Mostly, hot weather is a huge problem for me, and I'm already reminded of that even now in late spring.

Oh, and you know that one about wrap dresses being flattering for larger/hourglass figures? Hmmm. I've tried on a couple of wrap things in my life, but I never know about the boob on the "under" side. I feel like I've built a little shelf for it. It's a bit too "lift and separate" for comfort. Thoughts on the wrap, ladies?


I don't own any wrap dresses, but Igigi has some great tips on what works for different shapes. I put my measurements in the shape calculator and found out I'm a figure eight, which is sort of a variation on the hourglass figure.

http://www.igigi.com/cms/shapestylist/w ... our-shape/



yeah, that's really cool! i'm a diamond shape. I had no idea, but it makes a lot of sense! I hope this helps me find some clothes.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:45 pm 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:53 am
Posts: 755
Location: Emerald City, Oz
Grrr, it's not working for me at the moment. I'm curious. I think according to Trinny and Susannah's plethora of shapes, I'd be a "vase".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:06 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:31 pm
Posts: 1435
Drossie wrote:
Grrr, it's not working for me at the moment. I'm curious. I think according to Trinny and Susannah's plethora of shapes, I'd be a "vase".


figure 8 is okay but I really wanted to be a trapezoid.

_________________
Again, you are all brilliant and sexy. And I am lavender-laden and secure in my masculinity. - Sir Brancis Facon

bird noises | book of faces


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:00 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:27 pm
Posts: 722
amandabear wrote:
I think ASOS does free standard shipping on all US orders now - I drool over their stuff all the time, one of these days I am going to order something.


I have read about a LOT of people having problems with ASOS orders. Orders never arriving, items missing from orders with no explanation, items arriving damaged or dirty. So I guess it's caveat emptor.

_________________
"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
"You know who doesn't care if you're a fat vegan? The animals." Isa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:14 am 
Offline
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1641
Location: Brisbane, Australia
I've ordered from Asos and the ordering and shipping was fine but the dress is a medium and is super tight on me! Last time I checked I was a small-medium. I've never worn it because it's so tight.

_________________
Mel makes vegan food


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:56 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4648
Location: Philadelphia
BluePlasticStraw wrote:
amandabear wrote:
I think ASOS does free standard shipping on all US orders now - I drool over their stuff all the time, one of these days I am going to order something.

I have read about a LOT of people having problems with ASOS orders. Orders never arriving, items missing from orders with no explanation, items arriving damaged or dirty. So I guess it's caveat emptor.

That's really disappointing to hear! Not cool, ASOS.

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:08 am 
Offline
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6239
Location: Land of Maple and Beavers
BluePlasticStraw wrote:
amandabear wrote:
I think ASOS does free standard shipping on all US orders now - I drool over their stuff all the time, one of these days I am going to order something.


I have read about a LOT of people having problems with ASOS orders. Orders never arriving, items missing from orders with no explanation, items arriving damaged or dirty. So I guess it's caveat emptor.


Yikes! We'll see what happens with my dress, I ordered one from them last week (viewtopic.php?p=52022#p52022) and it's supposed to arrive on or before this Thursday.

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:22 pm 
Online
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10922
Location: Astoria, NY
amandabear wrote:

eShakti is something interesting - they have lots of cute dresses, and if you don't line up with their size charts (which definitely include plus sizes!), they can be custom-fit for $7 or 8 bucks.

http://www.eshakti.com



this site has some really nice stuff! i'm thinking about getting this dress for my mom's wedding

http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... 0758&pcat=

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:31 pm 
Offline
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6239
Location: Land of Maple and Beavers
paprikapapaya wrote:
BluePlasticStraw wrote:
amandabear wrote:
I think ASOS does free standard shipping on all US orders now - I drool over their stuff all the time, one of these days I am going to order something.


I have read about a LOT of people having problems with ASOS orders. Orders never arriving, items missing from orders with no explanation, items arriving damaged or dirty. So I guess it's caveat emptor.


Yikes! We'll see what happens with my dress, I ordered one from them last week (viewtopic.php?p=52022#p52022) and it's supposed to arrive on or before this Thursday.


So I got my ASOS dress in less than a week, I think it was about 4 business days. It is much bigger than I thought it would be though! I will have to get it taken in around my shoulders, which I guess is not that surprising because I do have small shoulders. Still a nice dress though!

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:17 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 3268
bunniee wrote:
http://frocksandfroufrou.com

I love her blog :) I've found a few shops to order from thanks to her, like New Look.

_________________
CupcakeKitteh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:56 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4648
Location: Philadelphia
ijustdiedinside wrote:
amandabear wrote:

eShakti is something interesting - they have lots of cute dresses, and if you don't line up with their size charts (which definitely include plus sizes!), they can be custom-fit for $7 or 8 bucks.

http://www.eshakti.com


this site has some really nice stuff! i'm thinking about getting this dress for my mom's wedding

http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... 0758&pcat=

I like that! A lot of their stuff looks vaguely Anthropologie-esque, which pleases me.

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:09 pm 
Online
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10922
Location: Astoria, NY
amandabear wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
amandabear wrote:

eShakti is something interesting - they have lots of cute dresses, and if you don't line up with their size charts (which definitely include plus sizes!), they can be custom-fit for $7 or 8 bucks.

http://www.eshakti.com


this site has some really nice stuff! i'm thinking about getting this dress for my mom's wedding

http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... 0758&pcat=

I like that! A lot of their stuff looks vaguely Anthropologie-esque, which pleases me.


yeah, totally, but way cheaper!

i also really like this dress - http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... at=DRESSES

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:22 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4648
Location: Philadelphia
I really like these two:

http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... 0915&pcat=

http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... 8781&pcat=

I've been eyeing the fish one for ages, I don't know why I haven't gotten it yet.

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:40 pm 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:38 am
Posts: 1622
Location: Rochester & Albany, NY
Loving this one:
http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp?catalog=Clothes&srch=3x&cate=ready+to+wear&price=&color=&fabric=&shipment=&advsrch=yes&productid=CL0020704_OS&pcat=by%20size

Does anyone have an idea of how the lengths run? I'm about 5'6 and not comfortable with things that hit above the knee... which I see this does...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:54 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8923
Location: Maryland/DC area
Oh my gosh, that eshakti site is great!

Am I alone in thinking this one is adorable?
Image

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:06 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4648
Location: Philadelphia
No, it's totally cute! It's got a little Mad Men vibe, I think it's the collar.

Nicole, I think you can probably have the length adjusted if you opt for custom sizing. Not sure how they run normally.

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer