| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker - Robin Robertson
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Moon wrote:
I love my slow cooker but only have a couple vegan recipes - so obviously I need this book. But slow cookers are probably the handiest thing ever.

When I used to have one, I used it for beans all the time. None of the other vegetarian recipes online seemed good, mostly cause I'm not a huge soup fan. Now I need a slow cooker again. Mine got lost in a move :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Just curious if anyone has any opinions on her frittata recipes? I'm contemplating incorporating one into my Easter brunch lineup in order to free up some time while getting everything else together, but I do get nervous serving untested recipes to others (particularly when omnis are included). I wonder if tried and true VB fritattas are the way to go instead, time constraints be damned...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the Braised Manchurian-Style Cauliflower yesterday. I had everything ready the night before when I realized it was meant to be cooked for only 4-5 hours. Not to worry, I have a programmable slow cooker, but I thought that maybe 5 hours on warm might be too much for the cauliflower (but I would have done it if necessary). Not to worry, my son would be home in the afternoon so I called him from work and got him to turn on the machine at 2. When I got home I added the last teaspoon of vinegar and an hour later, after driving one son to Scouts and going for a walk with another, added some chopped cilantro.

I ate it with dry-fried tofu because I wanted something plain to go with the flavourful sauce, and the sauce was so flavourful. The meal was delicious and I went back for seconds,which I rarely do. I ended up eating half of it, or half a head of cauliflower! Now I have never had Gobi Manchurian (which I hear is delicious) so have nothing to compare it to but this recipe is a keeper.

The only change I made is I used onion and garlic powder. I realized not long ago that the off taste that made me dislike meals from the slow cooker is a chemical change in the onion (and possibly garlic). Now I use none or substitute the powder and things taste much better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:45 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The tortilla soup was omni-approved, but I bulked it up with some beans and added more spice. I think a lot of these recipes need some additional kick for my tastes.

I think I'm going to try her slow cooker seitan this weekend. Anyone try it before?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:54 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I just got this book from the library and I'm officially in love. I made the North African chickpea soup the other night. AWESOME. I made the lakshi last night and I'm eating it for breakfast right now. Definitely increasing the spice levels on everything, big-time, but I always do that. I just got a slow cooker for the first time, so I really appreciate both the awesome recipes and also the clear instructions on what works in a slow cooker and why. HELL YEAH. What should I try next?? :D