| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Crispy meringues with Miyokos marvellous flax foam!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:39 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

That's really great that it worked with agave, i wouldn't have really expected it to be successful. I might have to try maple meringues, or caramel...

Yeah letting them cool in the oven really seems the way to go. Which makes it a little tricky to figure out the best point at which to turn the oven off, i find. However i have found if i turn of it off too early and they don't get crisp enough it can just be turned on again to let them dry further.
I think using a liquid sweetener would have meant they'd take a bit longer to dry/cook.

I'm really surprised you could taste flax through the agave. I don't have that much experience with agave (too expensive here!) but even the light agave i have at the moment has quite a distinctive, strong flavour. I wonder if the agave somehow exaggerated the flax flavour. To me agave has a pleasantly nutty, slightly malty flavour which is kind of how i would describe flax. Though in the flax goo it's very subtle, i find.
Your flax couldn't have been rancid, could it?
Perhaps chocolate meringues would fix it for you!?

Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

Flax was ok, relatively fresh, i.e. harvested last summer. I think, I am very sensitive to the flax flavour. My husband has had some meringues today and he couldn't feel flax at all. By the way - after couple of days in a metal box the meringues went very soft. I do not know, whether the same happens with sugar meringues.
For me flaxy meringues are ok, but my daughter will be happy to eat chocolate meringues, thank you for the idea :-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:40 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I think the softening is certainly due to the agave, which is a form of invert sugar. Invert sugars have some interesting properties. They are used in baked goods to keep them moist, and help to keep ice cream soft. They don't really solidify/crystallise like sucrose.
I have kept a few meringues for a couple weeks, to see what would happen. The texture changed slightly, they did become a little softer, but i would still describe them as crisp. And it's been really humid here.
You can put them back in a low oven if they become too soft.

And yes, taste is a weird thing! Oh well, chocolate makes just about everything good. If you try it please do tell me how it went!

There are plenty of other flavouring things you could try too. Probably anything that's not too much liquid would work okay. I think adding it at the end of whipping will work best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thank you Loomi for explanation. We have eaten them all, so I cannot check, what happens when I put them back into the oven. I will try next time.
I plan to use vanilla, cinammon, cardamon, lemon peel and orange peel. Not all at the same time ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The freezing step definitely makes a big difference, Loomi - the difference between room temp and whisking when it was still semi-frozen was huge. Thank you so much for the inspiration. I have the start of a vegan pavlova in the oven right now - wish me luck, and if it's any decent, I'll post a snap later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

Ruby Rose, wow!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:30 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I had been meaning to give these meringues a try since Loomi started this thread and I finally did so about a week ago. They came out very well!

I tried to adapt an egg meringue recipe that I used to make with good results for piping meringues and for pavlova. I used this ratio (more or less):

180g - flax goo
155g - sugar (although I exclusively use evaporated cane juice/organic sugar,I used regular white sugar for this because the organic sugar still has some molasses that can affect the meringue--or so I remember from egg white meringue!)
1/8 t - cream of tartar
1 t - lemon juice
1 t - vanilla extract
3 1/2 t - cornstrach
a couple pinches of xanthan gum

I used Loomi's method of freezing the goo and defrosting. Interestingly I had very little excess water come out as it defrosted so maybe I overboiled in the goo-making part? In any case, I plopped the still somewhat frozen chunks of the goo with the cream of tarter and started whisking.
Then I gradually added in the sugar. When it became lustrous and billowing, I added the lemon juice and vanilla. Then the xanthan. Then I sifted in the cornstarch. I kept whisking for 7-10 minutes.

Then I piped the foam onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and baked at 225 degrees for 2 hours.

They didn't stick to the parchment at all and were nice and crispy. As you can see in the image below, they don't seem to hold up to more intricate piping, though. Had I used a star tip on the piping bag, I doubt it would have been noticeable in the finished product. And speaking of which, here they are!
(By the way, it made two baking sheets worth of different shaped meringues--so for finished amount, at least double what you see on the plate.)

So, after a week they are still as crisp as the day I made them. I think this method is good for crispy style meringues, but for a pavlova I would prefer a chewy interior. I did bake a small tray for a shorter amount of time to attempt this but they were stick-to-your-teeth chewy. There is potential here and I'm going to play around more. I'll definitely lower the sugar and up the vanilla or other flavorings next time. I still want to make them hold their piped shape and prevent cracking as much as possible. I'm also going to attempt macarons. If I get anywhere with these experiments, I'll update this thread. In the meanwhile thanks Miyoko for the idea and thanks Loomi for your informative posts and for getting us motivated to experiment!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:58 pm 

mr.zaatar wrote:
So, after a week they are still as crisp as the day I made them. I think this method is good for crispy style meringues, but for a pavlova I would prefer a chewy interior. I did bake a small tray for a shorter amount of time to attempt this but they were stick-to-your-teeth chewy. There is potential here and I'm going to play around more. I'll definitely lower the sugar and up the vanilla or other flavorings next time. I still want to make them hold their piped shape and prevent cracking as much as possible. I'm also going to attempt macarons. If I get anywhere with these experiments, I'll update this thread. In the meanwhile thanks Miyoko for the idea and thanks Loomi for your informative posts and for getting us motivated to experiment!

I tried macarons myself today but I don't think I whipped the "meringue" enough.. your cookies look fabulous! Please do update if you can get your macarons to work!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:37 am 
Tofu Pup

I made pavlova!

I actually haven't been able to get a flaxseed-only meringue to work very well. I'm not sure what's going wrong, but mine won't whip up as voluminously as everyone else's. But what I did do was add some versawhip 600k to the mixture, which then whipped up amazingly. I added xanthan gum and agar, baked for an hour at 100 C, left it to cool in the oven overnight, and ended up with pretty excellent pavlova: crisp on the outside and marshmallowy on the inside. (I tried a version without flaxseed goop, with only versawhip 600k as the whipping agent, and it wasn't bad, but the one with flaxseed and versawhip was much better.)

The recipe for the best version I have made so far is on my blog. I am an inveterate lurker, but this pavlova made me want to share.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:46 pm 
Impressive boner

I tried baking meringue directly on top of a lemon pie but it didn't work. I was concerned about the pie burning so didn't bake it for long enough, and the top of the meringue returned to the goopy snot state after cooling. I'm currently baking a pie sized meringue separately so I can place it on top of a pie, instead of attempting to cook it all together.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

I tried making the goo four times and it turned out great but it never whipped up! I only have a hand held whisk attachment beater which I used and all I got was a little foam. I read another site where the author said that it will not become whipped of u use a hand beater u need a stand mixer, has anyone else attempted whipping the goo without a stand mixer?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:18 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I always use a handheld mixer and it works fine. Maybe your goo was not concentrated enough, or maybe there was a little grease on your bowl or whisk? Try reducing the goo more, freezing it and clean your bowl and whisk with lemon juice and dry it well before whipping.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:00 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Those of you in the US who get VegNews may have seen my most recent article on French cuisine. In it is a recipe for eclairs (pate a choux) that actually puffs and is hollow inside for filling. The secret ingredient? My flax seed goo! So there is an application for baking, although not in the way I originally experimented with years ago.

By the way, I will be including this in my new cookbook on vegan pantry items and staples to be released in spring 2015. I have been playing around a lot since Loomi first shared her experiments with my meringue, and I'll credit this thread in my headnotes.

By the way, I like my meringue cookies scented with lemon oil, which lends an incomparable, fresh flavor.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:57 am 
Tofu Pup

Corine,

The Dutch/Belgian confection contains a lot of jelly. For 1 eggwhite and 100 ml water it's 1 tablespoon of gelatin. I guess agar is ok, but I don't know how much. The difference between this confection and marschmallows is the amount of gelatine, so search for vegan marschmallows and increase the amount of gelatine with a little more than half.
The thing needed is to keep it soft and not hard/dried. Maybe a little of coconutoil in the end can help.
It's difficult to dip them in chocolate. Powdered cocoa is a good replacement.

Good Luck! /Maria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:23 pm 

mr.zaatar wrote:
I had been meaning to give these meringues a try since Loomi started this thread and I finally did so about a week ago. They came out very well!

I tried to adapt an egg meringue recipe that I used to make with good results for piping meringues and for pavlova. I used this ratio (more or less):

180g - flax goo
155g - sugar (although I exclusively use evaporated cane juice/organic sugar,I used regular white sugar for this because the organic sugar still has some molasses that can affect the meringue--or so I remember from egg white meringue!)
1/8 t - cream of tartar
1 t - lemon juice
1 t - vanilla extract
3 1/2 t - cornstrach
a couple pinches of xanthan gum

I used Loomi's method of freezing the goo and defrosting. Interestingly I had very little excess water come out as it defrosted so maybe I overboiled in the goo-making part? In any case, I plopped the still somewhat frozen chunks of the goo with the cream of tarter and started whisking.
Then I gradually added in the sugar. When it became lustrous and billowing, I added the lemon juice and vanilla. Then the xanthan. Then I sifted in the cornstarch. I kept whisking for 7-10 minutes.

Then I piped the foam onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and baked at 225 degrees for 2 hours.

They didn't stick to the parchment at all and were nice and crispy. As you can see in the image below, they don't seem to hold up to more intricate piping, though. Had I used a star tip on the piping bag, I doubt it would have been noticeable in the finished product. And speaking of which, here they are!
(By the way, it made two baking sheets worth of different shaped meringues--so for finished amount, at least double what you see on the plate.)

Gonna try making this. this looks really yummy to me But I think it's kinda hard I hope it tastes good. :))

Helen Keller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 am 
Tofu Pup

I've made the meringues (twice in three days :) ) and they turned out marvelous.

Today, I've added almond flour to half of the foam until they had the consistency of a macaroon dough.
Then I piped the dough and baked on 300F for about 20 minutes.
These were the best vegan almond cookies I've ever tasted. Gluten free and delicious.

No one can tell that there are no egg whites in them. and they smell so Almondy-buttery!!!
Next time, i will attempt to make macaroons. I will keep you posted.

Thanks Loomi. I already love you without knowing you :)

Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:57 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Wow, those almond cookies look awesome!