| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:30 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Graduate school in general (and comps studying in particular) has rendered me effectively bipolar. I swing wildly from "I can do this; it will totally be okay," to "OH MY forking GOD IT'S IMPOSSIBLE WHY DID I THINK I WANTED TO DO THIS I'VE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE!!!" Sometimes within the space of ten minutes. I'm sure it makes me super charming to be around; my partner is one lucky fella!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 am 
Inflexitarian

Desdemona wrote:
Graduate school in general (and comps studying in particular) has rendered me effectively bipolar. I swing wildly from "I can do this; it will totally be okay," to "OH MY forking GOD IT'S IMPOSSIBLE WHY DID I THINK I WANTED TO DO THIS I'VE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE!!!" Sometimes within the space of ten minutes. I'm sure it makes me super charming to be around; my partner is one lucky fella!

Yeah, this is how I feel, and I haven't even started my reading yet (though I'm about to turn in my final list...). This can't be good for your heart. Or something.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:01 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Whoa, how did I never post about my major grad school project drama in this thread? I must have posted about it in the worst things thread like a billion times. To recap, we had 8 weeks to do this project. Here is my timeline:

Week 0: pick really hard topic. Submit topic to professor. Get approval.
Week 0.5: panic because he said something like "just so you know, this one is impossible! ha ha ha!" Email professor again and switch to another hard-but-not-as-hard problem.
Weeks 1-6: work on what I thought this problem was.
Week 6: discover I had misread the problem statement entirely and had solved a totally different problem. Panic. Email professor in moment of panic pretty much asking him not to fail me oh god.
12 hours later: realize I can solve the other problem. Email professor again and apologize for tale of woe.
Week 7: just a blur of unending work as I attempted to cram 7 weeks of work on this other problem into about 3 days. But! The problem is solved! And so are two other tangential problems that I can include in my paper.
Week 8: drag feet on writing paper that goes along with this, despite the fact that professor says that a good paper is the key to a good grade on this project. Write shitty paper.

Week 8-now: hang in state of despair and anxiety regarding impending grade on project. Wish I'd done a better job on the paper. Wish I'd had the time to solve a fourth problem (so close... so close...). Resign self to maybe being in the top half of class for the project. Glare at other grad students in class, secretly hating them for doing a better job than me. Etc.

Today: received email from professor with my grade in it. (Beware, gloating ahoy.) Turns out I have the top ranked project in the class. And he said it was easily one of the best submissions he's ever received for this project.

TLDR: coldandsleepy panics about nothing repeatedly until receiving a good grade. Yay!

I've mentioned it before I think, but I really wish this guy was in my department so I could ask him to be my thesis advisor. He might even say yes since I did not terribly on the project! It troubles me that I'm starting my thesis next semester and the only person I've found who I'd like to work with, I don't think I can (due to being in the wrong department).

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Nice work, C&S!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Rock that shiitake, c&s! Well done!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:12 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Paper extension for one of my classes! I'm super excited.

Time to start focusing on the MRP after that. Hello Nordic Politics, you will rule my life for the next few months.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:28 pm 
Married to the wolfman

And I'm back to grad school despair. I missed my favorite class (for the first time this semester!) today and between that and not finishing everything I wanted to get done during last night's all nighter AND getting a new deadline for 5 days from now (between now and which I have NO dedicated work time, because I don't have my usual work day tomorrow) I am feeling so underwater.

The thing I didn't finish last night is due at midnight tonight so as soon as the kids go to bed I'm back to that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We have our final presentation tomorrow! Then it's just paper writing time, which in my opinion is more bearable.

Awful group member is still being awful. Going out of town for long weekends with almost no notice and without finishing work ahead of time, waiting until the last minute to do his assigned work, missing meetings, etc. And doesn't seem to realize why any of this is so awful.

I can't wait until I never have to see him again. He just missed our final (!) presentation practice session, because we practiced once earlier and he was somehow the only one who thought early practice was replacing late practice. Which we never even mentioned as a possibility.

I'm going to make a voodoo doll of his resume and hope he never gets a job.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:11 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Blah. Every year we have to give a big lit review presentation to the group. It totally sucks because my advisor will destroy you about every single paper you present and it's incredibly stressful. Oh, and did I mention we have to provide dinner for the whole group that night too?? (Used to be 40 people, now down to 20). Almost everyone buys pizza, which I refuse to do, so I end up having to cook dinner + dessert while I'm trying to prepare a talk.

Every few months we also have to do a big research summary for the group, where we present all our recent results in lab. I've had an absolutely terrible *year* it seems, with research just going slowly. Anyways, guess who's research summary and lit talk are the same week? This girl's! So I'm busting my hump trying to get research done while trying to read papers for a 40-slide ppt talk. Super.

Meanwhile, I've had major cramps and tummy aches all day so instead of working I stayed home, ate, and watched tv. I feel like all I do in this thread is complain! I think that means I'm ready to graduate!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Surprise/serendipitous meeting with one of the Big Names in my advisor's office yesterday. (I had about 10 minutes notice. My advisor said, "Guess who just walked into my office? I think you should come over.") So I did, completely unprepared, and we had a rocking conversation for several hours, followed by a really lovely set of emails, e.g.

Quote:
I'm now sorry you didn't manage to participate in {that workshop}. Your additions would have been immeasurable. Let's hope we cross paths again soon--either by chance or by design. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

(I'm trying really hard not to notice the fact that I missed the chance to attend an awesome workshop at the Max Planck, which I didn't know about, because of the dramatic shiitake that's still following me from my first diss. supervisor.) (Man. What a week for drama! Seriously.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:27 am 
Married to the wolfman

Awwwwww Lutin. That sounds like an awesome encounter. (Though, how crappy to find out you missed the workshop.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So I did the math out today and discovered that if I switch departments, it will only mean an additional semester (rather than two additional semesters) in my program. And now I'm seriously thinking about doing it. On the one hand, it seems kind of crazy to switch programs halfway through. On the other hand, the department I'm in right now doesn't really match my interests or my ambition level. It seems I can't write a thesis (but have to do a capstone project instead, which is like a thesis without the significant paper) if I stay in my current department because there are no full professors in my specialization. And I *know* I'd like to work with this other guy in this other department.

The stupidest thing is that the only reason I'm in this department and not that one is that I decided to apply SO last minute last year that the department I'm thinking of switching to had already closed admissions, and my current department hadn't. If I'd been two weeks early with my application, maybe I'd already be in that department. (I know, pointless speculation.)

Ugh. Life decisions.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

GUYS! I'm one of you! sent in my deposit and am starting my MFA in the fall! you guys seem stressed! hooray!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

coldandsleepy wrote:
So I did the math out today and discovered that if I switch departments, it will only mean an additional semester (rather than two additional semesters) in my program.

Right now, I'd be stoked to do a giant project instead of a full-length dissertation. But it sounds like the people you actually want to work with / learn from / have future relationships with are in the other program. An extra semester is not a lot of time for having a better time at school. Can you guys afford the time & etc.?

When I was a BA, I had the option of finishing at UCSC a year early with a shiitake load of honors (and possibly ending up at Cal for a PhD) or going to Cal for 2 more years and trying something else. I still wonder what would have happened if I'd stayed at UCSC, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to switch, and that one of my friends said to me: Are you going to regret it? If you're going to regret not going, or think you might, then you should probably go.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:59 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Thanks for the advice lutin. I think i'm going to talk to this professor and solicit his input and go from there. The thing is, doing a thesis (particularly with this professor) would be an avenue for at least one other publication. If I decide I ever want to go back to a phd program (a definite maybe), that would be REALLY helpful for me to have. I also think it'd be really valuable in helping me decide whether or not I'm actually into research.

Every academic decision I make, I wonder so much about what would have happened if I'd gone the other way!

Congrats boober!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

booberthefraggle wrote:
GUYS! I'm one of you! sent in my deposit and am starting my MFA in the fall! you guys seem stressed! hooray!

Congratulations!! (I'm not "one of you", I just read this thread to live vicariously - maybe one day)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:51 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

jogirl wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:

Congratulations!! (I'm not "one of you", I just read this thread to live vicariously - maybe one day)

Yes, congrats! And... Same.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I need to finish a paper and turn it in within . . . well . . . 7 minutes, but all I can do is look at new phones on the interwebz. HELP!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Squee. The guy I would like to be my thesis advisor responded super positively to my request, told me who I need to talk to about switching departments, and promised to vouch for my quality as a student if asked by the person who makes the decisions.

This is a relief and a delight. Now I just have to actually accomplish switching departments.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:57 am 

Does anyone ever feel like they picked the wrong program? I love my supervisor, my friends here, and living in Canada. However, my program just doesn't seem to work with my learning style. I've gone so far I'll probable just stick with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:35 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I'm so forking stressed out about this project for one of my classes where both of my project partners pretty much told me, "if you try to make us do any work, we are going to google for code and change the variable names and turn that in." After my response to this (which escalated), they both said oh, we won't do that... if you're SURE we can't do that...

I don't feel like I can trust them which means my options are either a) let a project that may be heavily plagiarized be turned in with my name on it or b) write it all myself. Which is so shitty. I have two other major projects going on right now (they're all due in the same week, of course) and I really do not forking need to be doing a three person project by myself.... but I really, really can't accept option a.

This IS graduate school, right? Why do I feel like someone's babysitter right now?

... on that note, I need to go back to work. I spent an hour working on that project and now I need to spend an hour trying to finish an assignment for a class I actually like that isn't giving me panic attacks.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Can you talk to the prof? Even to say, Look, I don't trust them to not plagiarize, can we add comments to show who was responsible for what? (Or something like that.) It sounds like your prof. won't be too surprised, given all the issuse involved. Maybe that's good way to "save face" and not do 3x the work yourself?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:28 am 
Married to the wolfman

Oh, I suspect (for various reasons) that the professor actually does not give a shiitake.

The code WILL be documented to show who did what-- I always, always do that when I work in a group because yeah. I thought about it last night and this program consists of pretty much a big framework and then four relevant functions... I've written most of the framework now. So, I am just going to tell these guys that they each need to write one of the remaining functions and I'll do the other two. If they don't do it? Oh well.

Unless something goes really wrong, I am switching departments at the end of the semester anyhow and this class won't count for anything for me. I have to keep remembering that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 pm 

2 papers to finish this week. Then I'm done for the term. Paper 1 is due tomorrow at 6. Paper 2 is due Friday at 4. I've got this.

Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 57  Next