| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:37 am 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 177
KAnn wrote:
I waited tables in college (over 25 years ago) and still have nightmares about it.


Wait-Mares! Oh those are the worst, awful dreams! Like the dream that you just can't bring any drinks to the tables - more and more customers keep coming in, and you get more and more weeded but still can't get the drinks from the bar. I worked in a college bar before and for the longest time i had a recurring wait-mare involving a large table of sorority girls ordering all different frozen drinks.

_________________
HAVE FUN WITH VEGANISM, FUGLIES. -- lavegan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:15 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 9990
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
I wish I made anywhere near 55k.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:50 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8386
Location: Maryland/DC area
I don't know what it is now but in San Diego, I think the starting salary of a teacher used to be $50k and that was nearly 10 years ago. Also, in regards to Masters, I was told that they actually wouldn't hire a teacher with no experience and a masters because the starting salary was higher and they didn't want to pay more for someone who had no experience. So most teachers I knew wouldn't get Masters or if they did, they'd get them after 10+ years of experience.

I also thought California might have a state minimum in general but I'm not sure. I think they have a single, state-wide teacher's union.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:38 am 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3313
Location: idontevenknowanymore
vijita wrote:
I wish I made anywhere near 55k.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:46 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 9990
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
linanil wrote:
I don't know what it is now but in San Diego, I think the starting salary of a teacher used to be $50k and that was nearly 10 years ago. Also, in regards to Masters, I was told that they actually wouldn't hire a teacher with no experience and a masters because the starting salary was higher and they didn't want to pay more for someone who had no experience. So most teachers I knew wouldn't get Masters or if they did, they'd get them after 10+ years of experience.

I also thought California might have a state minimum in general but I'm not sure. I think they have a single, state-wide teacher's union.

I'm kind of finding that in my field too. I have a Masters but not tonnes of experience (measured in beavers: about 3.5 beavers), so I'm often passed over for being overqualified but under-experienced. And I've worked so many jobs in my life, because I get restless and keep looking for the perfect fit.

(we're okay with this thread's derail, right?)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7713
Location: Seattle
I think this thread officially went off the rails when it became about dog's anal glands.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:21 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4809
Location: WV
joshua wrote:
55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island


Sig-worthy.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:50 pm 
Offline
***LIES!!!***
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3673
stellamarie wrote:
KAnn wrote:
I waited tables in college (over 25 years ago) and still have nightmares about it.


Wait-Mares! Oh those are the worst, awful dreams! Like the dream that you just can't bring any drinks to the tables - more and more customers keep coming in, and you get more and more weeded but still can't get the drinks from the bar. I worked in a college bar before and for the longest time i had a recurring wait-mare involving a large table of sorority girls ordering all different frozen drinks.


My only really bad waiting experience (besides lots of non-tippers) was a guy who insisted that his fork wasn't clean and although I brought him many other forks, no fork was clean enough. He got angrier and angrier and started yelling at me, then accused me of being racist (because I am white and he was black) for not bringing him a clean fork (all the forks were clean!!!! they couldn't have been cleaner!). Eventually I asked another (black, male) server to step in for me and things went much more smoothly between them. I think about that guy not infrequently.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:15 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 177
Ariann wrote:
My only really bad waiting experience (besides lots of non-tippers) was a guy who insisted that his fork wasn't clean and although I brought him many other forks, no fork was clean enough. He got angrier and angrier and started yelling at me, then accused me of being racist (because I am white and he was black) for not bringing him a clean fork (all the forks were clean!!!! they couldn't have been cleaner!). Eventually I asked another (black, male) server to step in for me and things went much more smoothly between them. I think about that guy not infrequently.


I never had a customer go off on me personally about racist treatment but it sure did happen with co-workers. Often the customer was right (obvs not in your case). There were common racist stereotypes among waitstaff in all the places that I worked. Many times the customer was treated poorly (or at least with bare minimum service) because of the no-tipping stereotype. So maybe that guy was just defensive because he was used to being treated poorly in other places. This doesn't mean it was OK to rant and scream though!

I have a million horrible stories from waiting tables but what comes to mind at the moment is having to clean up puke and shiitake at the college bar. Hey kids, when you have to puke, do it in the toilet! Not on the table, not in the sink, not in the urinal. You would not think I would need to say this, but the same goes for shiitake. shiitake in toilet = yes! Green check mark! shiitake on wall = No! Red X!

and I guess I am proving the point that every ppk thread ends up with poo talk...

_________________
HAVE FUN WITH VEGANISM, FUGLIES. -- lavegan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5270
Location: A New England
KAnn wrote:
I waited tables in college (over 25 years ago) and still have nightmares about it.

This is all that needs to be said about the joys of the waitstaff experience.


_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:24 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 11889
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
The masters thing for teachers is regional. Here, you are unlikely to get hired by any but the most rural districts without one, and that's because those districts are miserable to work for and have very low pay, so they have to hire new science and math teachers pretty much every year, so their pool of potentials is smaller and those people leave as soon as they can find a job elsewhere. (in a few one high school counties, they are hiring the same small positions every. single. year. It's weird.)

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:27 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:18 pm
Posts: 1462
Location: Panama City, FL
Vantine wrote:
Never trust someone who hates pickles.


Sig!

Also, I totally wish I'd been reading this thread in real time. It's amazing.

_________________
Ridiculous people on the internet are consistently ridiculous. -pandacookie


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Angelina, Bing [Bot], ijustdiedinside, oddspongeout and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer