| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 496  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:10 am 
Saggy Butt

ndpittman wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line.

Sigged!

ETA: Should I be taking DHA?

I want to start taking this so I can start being groovy.

I want to be groovy, too!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't think DHA is one of those things that you absolutely have to take if you eat enough foods that contain that stuff, but it's not a bad idea either.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:23 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I just read the link to the Vegan RD regarding the Omega's and DHA's and I've decided that I can get plenty of these by making chocolate chip walnut cookies with canola oil and flax seeds. Does this mean I made cookies a part of a balanced diet?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 am 
Discovered unobtainium

From what I understand, flax loses all or most benefit once cooked.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:31 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Alaina wrote:
Does this mean I made cookies a part of a balanced diet?

ding ding ding!!! we have a winnah!

I take DHA daily, 2000IU vit D daily (I live in the dark/cold North), vegan multi daily, and I do B12 sublingual 3x a week. I think someone said 2x was sufficient but since im pregnant I figured 3x was better. I think the dosage I have is 1000mcg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:38 am 

lavawitch wrote:

Good thing I usually eat a few bites of raw cookie dough! Now I have a reason to not even bother baking the cookies. I can just eat bowls of raw cookie dough like ice cream, or with ice cream. And use flax seeds as sprinkles.

I just take Floradix, it covers iron and B12 and all the B vitamins, and Deva D2. I buy calcium fortified orange juice and eat the amonde yogurt that has a bunch of calcium in it. According to my fitness pal I'm getting enough calcium.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:12 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

That's why I bought the calcium supplement--My Fitness Pal was like, what's up? Why are you a stereotype? And I'm like, d'oh!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:26 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

lavawitch wrote:

I thought it was only when it was cooked at high heat? Sauteing damages omegas but baking doesn't.

http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=3023 (toward the bottom)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 pm 

I didn't think I needed the iron supplement, according to MFP I was getting enough without it. But then my blood work came back super low iron, and I remembered how I had to take one when I was little and that I had two anemic grandmothers, so now I get like 200% iron a day. And have an iron count that quote the doctor "could be higher but isn't low". whatever that means. keep taking supplements apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:00 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

A friend posted on facebook about thinking about going vegan, and a friend of his (not anyone I know) said, 'Seafood and dairy are the reasons I stopped being vegan.' Um, great, not helpful, crasshole. I should have kept my mouth shut, but instead said, 'You and everyone else who stops being vegan.' And she said, 'Um I know a lot of people who really miss red meat, so...' I hate people. And myself for responding to her at all.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:48 am 
Nooch of Earl

The sides of the packaging look the same, so I accidentally bought garlic chive tofutti. And blueberry bagels.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:51 am 
Married to the wolfman

ndpittman wrote:
That's why I bought the calcium supplement--My Fitness Pal was like, what's up? Why are you a stereotype? And I'm like, d'oh!

Ha. I take a calcium supplement sometimes because it's the one thing I'm ever low in on MFP. When I was actively tracking food, I'd take a supplement if it looked like my calcium number was going to be low, and not take it otherwise.

Speaking of being a stereotype, I just started taking a B12 supplement! I feel like such a hardcore vegan.

(Not deficient or anything, just decided I should start paying attention to it so I don't become deficient!)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:54 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm confused about how to take a calcium supplement when I take iron 2x a day, at breakfast and dinner. You can't take calcium with iron because it blocks iron absorption. At lunch, I guess? But I'm worried that will still block absorption of any iron I have in my meal. I never want to be hospitalized-level bad again (which actually happened when I was a meateater).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:15 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

annak wrote:
The sides of the packaging look the same, so I accidentally bought garlic chive tofutti. And blueberry bagels.

hahahahahaha

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:41 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

paprikapapaya wrote:
I'm confused about how to take a calcium supplement when I take iron 2x a day, at breakfast and dinner. You can't take calcium with iron because it blocks iron absorption. At lunch, I guess? But I'm worried that will still block absorption of any iron I have in my meal. I never want to be hospitalized-level bad again (which actually happened when I was a meateater).

the recommendations i've read suggest taking iron and calcium at least two hours apart, so, yeah, lunch would probably be o.k. i take mine on different days, but i've never been dangerously low in anything (at least, not that i know of).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:07 pm 

paprikapapaya wrote:

hmmmmm I actually take my iron supplement when I eat breakfast which most days consists of two calcium fortified foods (obviously not the best idea), and then I take it again with dinner, but that doesn't have any calcium fortified foods usually. My iron supplement actually says to take 30 min before eating. I should probably follow the instructions, but my iron level has been going up regardless.
I've read till the end of the internet on iron and I've read from not eating it with calcium and that's it's ok as long as your not eating too much and it's spread out through out the day. So I dunno, I'd probably do lunch, and then maybe with a mid afternoon or after dinner snack?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i believe taking calcium with iron *hinders* absorption of the iron but doesnt stop it so it's possible you are still getting some.

i would take it completely separately, like at lunch like you mentioned.

dont do what i did when i was told i was anemic! i started taking my iron supplement by itself around dinner time and i chased it with some OJ cause vitamin C *helps* absorption, but yeah the OJ i was drinking was fortified with calcium :-P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:13 pm 

I totally do the iron supp. followed by calcium fortified orange juice, like almost every day. Even though I know it's stupid, and I shouldn't. I'm always running late in the morning and cram breakfast into a 6 second shove this in your mouth event. But I also take the iron supplement again at dinner with no fortified foods. I went back after he told me it was low, (low as in doc said the normal range was 10 to 140 whatevers and I was 12). But no symptoms of anything. It's gone up to 40 something even with my terrible habits that I should change.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

When I take a calcium supplement, I take it at night before going to bed. Since I would only take iron with food (for absorption and for not hurting my tummy), that means they're pretty far apart.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

Rice Parmesan has casein in it?! Seriously what the fizzle?!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

Well, parmesan is cheese so...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

yes... but rice non-dairy Parmesan shouldn't.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

That's the kind by Galaxy Foods, right? They're a vegetarian company, not a vegan one so a lot of their products have milk products in them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This issue comes up on here periodically, and I understand it's really confusing to see non-dairy cheeses that have casein in them. However, it actually makes sense when you take into account that these products are made for lactose intolerant people, and casein is included to give the cheeses some stretch and a better texture when melted. not sure how that works with the parmesan cheese, but I imagine it adds something.

It's a shitty thing though because it often confuses people, and I've had omni relatives buy me the stuff not realizing it's not vegan.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:50 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

pet peeve du jour:

for my baby shower one of the things my inlaws bought us was a basket of burt's bees baby bath type stuff.
I know a lot of people here are anti-burt's bees but I was ok with it because it's at least cruelty free and it wasn't Johnson and Johnson crepe.
I also don't think a lot of people realize honey isn't vegan so I can understand that mistake. I was happy they made the effort to buy natural/cruelty free stuff for me.

so I was digging through the basket last night and found a bar of soap......made of buttermilk.....
my inlaws are very aware I am vegan.
now I don't know what to do with this buttermilk soap. I don't want it. >_<

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 496  Next