| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 175  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:39 am 
Flounceiad 2011

baps wrote:
couroupita wrote:
what the fizzle did I just read.

That is my exact response to that link!
Jesus H. Christ on a bike; the idea that people like that not only exist, but feel free and proud to express ignorant, hateful, hideous garbage like that makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. (And like I never want to leave the house again.)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:05 am 
Impressive boner

I can't express myself in relation to that page.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

"Rocket scientist dies. NYT obit leads with her cooking skills, husband and kids."

https://twitter.com/edyong209/status/318092720063258625

"She made a mean beef stroganoff, followed her husband from job to job and took eight years off from work to raise three children. “The world’s best mom,” her son Matthew said. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/scien ... at-88.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

rhelune wrote:
"Rocket scientist dies. NYT obit leads with her cooking skills, husband and kids."

https://twitter.com/edyong209/status/318092720063258625

"She made a mean beef stroganoff, followed her husband from job to job and took eight years off from work to raise three children. “The world’s best mom,” her son Matthew said. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/scien ... at-88.html

ugh. I like how people on Twitter were commenting "It's just a narrative device". Yeah, I guess the narrative device was that they first had to legitimize that she was a "decent" woman before they went on to detail that she was also a rocket scientist.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:02 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

lavawitch wrote:
Avocatom wrote:
Or we could just keep talking about it in the feminism thread. Everyone else would be cool with that, I bet.

There is certainly enough to say about it here. Women are pretty much assumed to only be good at poker because breasts. Jennifer Harman and Kathy Leiber are incessantly ragged on because they aren't hot enough, Cindy Violette is too,weird and vegan while Daniel Negreanu being vegan is just trivia, and Duke Law grad Vanessa Rousso is,either a dumb bimbo who sucks at poker but is hot or she is a hideous hag.

Really not up for defending Annie Duke, but there is enough to say about her without diving into the woman-hate, which is mostly what everybody does.

And women aren't much better. Tiffany Michelle ran around cheering for herself at the WSOP whenever another women was bumped out so she was "last woman standing." so aggravating. (non poker people: TM was recently on Food Network's Worst Cooks)

Honestly, Id love to go play some tournaments when they open table games in Maryland, but I'm also a little scared of the poker culture if I go.

ETA: the Jennifer Harman thing really steams me. This is a woman who has been around Vegas a long time. She has a WSOP bracelet from a challenging, prestigious event, has won millions, is respected by other pros as a major cash game player, does tons of charity work for humane society/SPCA and kidney disease and she is still written off as "just a woman" and not an attractive enough one (also stupid since she is clearly quite attractive but she doesn't come to the tables with her boobs hanging out which is apparently an unwritten requirement.)

Hey you made it fit in this thread!

It's been so long since I've been at all interested in following 'poker celebrities.' Sounds like it's been a while for you too, since I actually recognize all those names. There's a strong anti-woman sentiment in that whole site. I was definitely guilty of it at times, too, but I think I've learned a lot since then. Nothing too horrible, but I'm sure I didn't help make female posters feel very welcome at times.

I hope it doesn't scare you off from playing. I'm not a huge fan of other poker players, but they are generally pretty civil in actual life. And dealers and floor managers aren't very tolerant of crassholes at the table.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:46 am 
Inflexitarian

Quarantined wrote:
I like how people on Twitter were commenting "It's just a narrative device". Yeah, I guess the narrative device was that they first had to legitimize that she was a "decent" woman before they went on to detail that she was also a rocket scientist.

Yeah, I read it, and I get how it's working as a narrative device (expected thing - unexpected thing!), but of course the expected thing is that she's a mother and a good cook, and the unexpected thing is that she's a rocket scientist. Ugh. At least the obit is properly titled and spends a lot of time discussing her career.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

If you are rich enough you can afford The Luxury Rental Girlfriend "Why go out with a Wife in Training [aka any woman you aren't paying for] when you can go out with the Perpetual Girlfriend? She puts out every time like she’s bucking for a rating, while the Wife in Training wants to know why you didn’t walk the four flights of her walk-up to collect her for dinner. She wants your mornings. The Girlfriend only needs your nights."

Plus you get to sleep with beautiful women and then review them like a restaurant.

I really don't have any problem with sex work but the way this article is written, as if talking to woman is nothing but a bunch of bullshiitake before you get to the sex and that everyone is dying to get married made me very pukey.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:01 am 
WELFARIST!

Okay, I'm back to hating everyone again. 32 OVERLOOKED RAPE LYRICS IN RAP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 am 
Ninja Master

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Okay, I'm back to hating everyone again. 32 OVERLOOKED RAPE LYRICS IN RAP

Jeez, I got about 10 in and couldn't stand to read any more!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

Precocious Fifth Grade Psychopaths Conspire to Rape And Murder Female Classmate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:40 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I. What? Jesus.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:21 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

My husband just challenged my feminism as I was reading him those rap lyrics and he went on to say that he thinks the lyrics are taken out of context. WHAT CONTEXT IS NEEDED?! I'm so forking angry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:17 pm 
Semen Strong

What context makes "I'm going to rape your daughter in front of you" or "I'm going to rape your girlfriend at gunpoint" okay?

Mansplaining is complicated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Do you think you could get him to watch bell hooks talk about rap?

I think its always important to remember that they wouldn't be saying it if it didn't sell.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

shy mox- I love that video. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:06 pm 
Semen Strong

Men are always getting second chances: Mark Sanford is getting a second chance to be Governor of SC despite lying and deceiving, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/us/po ... earer.html

but one misstep as a woman, even if its just not being nice enough or not willing to meet with everyone for free is grounds to label you a traitor
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/nyreg ... d=all&_r=0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:00 am 
Nailed to the V

I started my community service project today- we go to a school and mentor 8th graders/do art with them. The teacher leading it is incredible with kids. But before they got there she called for all the boys. To help move chairs from another room to our room. And I just burst out "That's sexist!" and followed the boys out to get the chairs. Then the teacher didn't know I came out and kind of made fun of me saying in a mocking voice "that's sexist!" And I hollered up to her "I'm right here. It IS sexist. Girls can move chairs, too." Guess how many chairs she wanted moved? Two each. Children's chairs. Sheesh.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:52 am 
Inflexitarian

julialegume wrote:
I started my community service project today- we go to a school and mentor 8th graders/do art with them. The teacher leading it is incredible with kids. But before they got there she called for all the boys. To help move chairs from another room to our room. And I just burst out "That's sexist!" and followed the boys out to get the chairs. Then the teacher didn't know I came out and kind of made fun of me saying in a mocking voice "that's sexist!" And I hollered up to her "I'm right here. It IS sexist. Girls can move chairs, too." Guess how many chairs she wanted moved? Two each. Children's chairs. Sheesh.

She probably made the common assumption that you can only move chairs with your penis. It's an easy mistake to make. Next time, tell her that hands work just as well. Sometimes better!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:26 am 
Semen Strong

Women destroy families by not just letting their men beat on them. And the whole "Daddy" thing is creepy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:10 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

julialegume wrote:

This happens all the time at work. And because I'm not a very strong person, sometimes I really do need help with those crazy asparagus massive tables that you've seen, but I can never really get by without a comment that it's a "man job" and I shouldn't be doing it. My supervisor kind of perpetuates that thinking, because once she needed someone to remove staple gunned xmas decorations and deemed it a "man job", so ever since all the guys joke about everything being a man job whenever I need help. (FYI, I can remove staples!).

This same woman is also my good friend, but she does challenge my feminism. She told me I should try getting a Brazilian wax because men like it, and she continually remarks on my weight-loss as though it is something I am aiming for, when really, I am a little bit underweight now and that's kind of a medical problem. She always talks about how when she was vegan she was as "skinny as me", and kindly but kind of backhandedly has given me a lot of her old clothes. She is so strong in other arenas of life as a woman that it just continually blows my mind that she can be so image-focussed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Women destroy families by not just letting their men beat on them. And the whole "Daddy" thing is creepy.

I don't get it, what is this image about?

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:10 am 
WELFARIST!

Quarantined wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I don't get it, either.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:56 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I don't get it, either.

Women who have butts are hos, so prosecuting "daddy" for domestic abuse is unfair, thus the Devil will rule the earth?

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm sorry, I mean JEZEBEL will rule the earth. All hail Jezebel!

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:05 am 
WRETCHED

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I don't get it, either.

My translation:
Girls in music videos act like 'hos' in the way they dress and move but when girls try to act this way in normal life, their men can't help but beat them up and then when they get reported, the men go to jail. Thus stop acting like a woman in a music video.

Or something.

Why not try...
Hey guys who create music videos, why don't you create more respectful images of women so that men won't have crazy expectations for women.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 175  Next