| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to have dinner for one night in Vancouver?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hi everyone, especially Vijita!

Julialegume and I are heading to Vancouver for a night at the end of the month, and staying at a hotel in the West End (I think) towards the water. Any recommendations for dinner? We especially love Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai and Ethiopian. Any great coffee spots or places with vegan baked goods we can pick up in the morning?

Thanks, dudes.

Post subject: Re: Where to have dinner for one night in Vancouver?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Anyone been here? http://www.legendarynoodle.ca/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:44 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

If you're wanting to stay in the general area, Panz is supposed to be really good (Buddhist Chinese) but I haven't made it there yet. My pick for one meal only would be either Grub (omni but a vegan fresh sheet option every day. I have never been anything but over the moon with what I've eaten) or Heirloom. Both on the more expensive end of things, though.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:39 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Legendary Noodle is okay. You've been to Panz! My favourite again and again is Wild Rice, but you've also been there. I think Grub is great and Heirloom is intriguing. Remember when we went for pho in the West End and you loved your soup? That was a restaurant that used to be Chau and is now called Kin.

I would definitely lean towards the Asian restaurants for food in Vancouver, and knowing you and jlegume.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
You've been to Panz! My favourite again and again is Wild Rice, but you've also been there.

Thanks, guys!

I noticed that Lengandery Noodle is practically next door to our hotel, but if other things are a reasonable walk we'll totally seek them out. As if I could forget Panz & I remember Wild Rice loving cilantro and being fancy but I think I liked it! (especially the atmosphere and cocktails?) Both have hot & sour soup, so I think Julialegume will be set.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

In terms of baked goods, I like JJ Bean muffins, but if you're looking for a vegan bakery you can head to Edible Flours in Kitsilano or Fairy Cakes on Fraser Street (which is about five blocks East of Main Street).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

jdfunks wrote:
Both have hot & sour soup..

I WANT ALL THE SOUP.
And I want to go to a place called Fairy Cakes. <3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

julialegume wrote:
jdfunks wrote:
Both have hot & sour soup..

I WANT ALL THE SOUP.
And I want to go to a place called Fairy Cakes. <3

I've only been there once, so it may have improved, but when I went it was Not. Good. I now live about 7 blocks away and can't be arsed to go...that's now not good it was.

I agree with almiratanner. JJ Bean muffins (and cookie!) are the way to go.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I like muffins!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thank you for the advice and the heads ups. <3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:09 am 
Tofu Pup

Wish I'd seen this post on time.
Not real close to the West End, but:

Love Chinese? 3G on Cambie @ 18th ave is a must and worth the trek. The drumsticks and hot & sour soup are incredible; there's no such thing as too much. Big menu, plus Dim Sum. This really is my favourite restaurant in the city. It's not on the menu but try requesting the fried coconut milk for dessert, you will not regret it. Plus the couple who run the place are extremely nice and deserving of your tips. They were a sponsor of the Vancouver Animal Advocacy Camp.

Acorn is a newer, higher-end place also worth the trek to Main St @ 22nd ave (roughly...) if your budget is up for it. All vegetarian (except for the housemade cheese which has rennet) and plenty of vegan. Small place, smallish menu, bigger prices but really, really nice with nice drinks and staff and of course the desserts are out of this world - worth a visit just for a brownie, imo.

Nuba has at least a couple of locations including one downtown. Delicious Lebanese! What I love the most is the roasted cauliflower and iced teas. Note they use honey in a lot of stuff but they do know what vegan means. But go during the day, because they change to an "evening" menu after 5pm that has way less vegan stuff.

My other favourite would be Bandidas Tacqueria for sure. Fantastic brunch until 3, with great stuff like roasted squash & tofu, refried beans, crispy homemade cornbread, apple salsa, cabbage salad... tacos, burritos, and I think even French toast.. great horchata and there's always at least one vegan dessert on special.

Haven't been to Heirloom yet.
Haven't been to the Naam either, which I know is kind of crazy.
There is a new vegan place opening in May on Fraser St, by the name of Graze.

Vancouver is a fine place to be vegan :)

Oh and Cartem's Donuts on West Hastings usually has some fab vegan flavours.

Didn't even know I had so much to say about eating here. Hope it helps future travellers!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

jdfunks wrote:

I live in the West End, there are options but they aren't as obvious as the Main/Commercial areas!
Legendary noodle is good, but I think only one soup might be vegan? It's been awhile, but the waitress was pretty helpful. There's a Nuba takeout at Davie and Seymour, and Rebellious Pizza on Denman has both vegan and gluten free options, including Daiya. Also on Denman is a small Korean place (Damso) with a "Very Very vegetarian" special - I haven't tried it but the place looks cute!

There is a ramen place around Alberni and Robson with a vegan dish, nothing crazy but it hits the spot if you have a craving for it. TONS of sushi places, but none of them outstanding. The Dish on Davie has soups, salads, sandwiches, if you're lucky to hit the Loving Hut truck on a day it's open I recommend that, they have a Facebook page so check their hours - awesome sandwiches! Apparently a new milkshake shop called What's Shaken with Coconut Bliss vegan options is also now open on Davie, it's my goal to check it out in the next month or so. Steamrollers has decent burritos, they will sub avocado in for free and soy cheese if that's your thing.
The Whole Foods on Robson is pretty great, tiny, but great. It used to be a small independent natural grocer so it's kept that vibe.
Wow, writing that list makes me realize I have a lot of places to revisit!