| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374 ... 1828  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I think its true of service professions. Where you have to come in contact with members of the general public who think they are your boss.

It seems to me that teaching is hard because you are accountable for so much, but really aren't given the resources to do what you need to do. So there are evaluations and tests to show how kids are doing, but only the teacher is held accountable for the student's performance if that student fails. There is no way to give each kid individualized instruction or the support system they would need to succeed.

I once worked with kids who were living in crack dens with intermittent heat and electricity. They were in fourth and fifth grade and like any other little kids they were into books and dinosaurs etc, but even that young, the system was stacked against them (their parents were crack addicts and I was helping grandparents adopt them to get benefits for them but the grandparents weren't doing that well themselves (renting out space in their homes for crack smokers))s no way those kids are ever really going to be able to do well in school. I know that most kids aren't that badly off, but those kids were all in the school system and part of the teacher's responsibility but they really had no infrastructure or parent support at home.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My biggest problem with kids right now are the entitled jerks. My struggling with life shitting on them kids are either not in school or are trying their best. Mostly, they aren't in school, but I can't worry about that because my focus is in the kids I see.

I'm just pissed off and bitter every quarter this time because of the crepe. My current health issues aren't helping.

On a good note: can you guys help me come up with a graduation present for a student? She has been so sweet and kind of clingy to me since she told me her (awful) circumstances. She is trying to be an amazing role model for her younger sister and wants to show her that they can do well in school. She is going to go to cc in the fall. Anyway, I want to get her something nice. Any ideas that would be appropriate, not embarrass her (I'll give it to her privately of course), be useful, make her feel good. My mom is going to pitch in on the cost. She doesn't really have nice things, and a lot of her stuff got stolen/thrown out recently.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think my roomba is panicking because its battery is wearing down and it's having trouble self-parking in its dock.

I might be anthropomorphizing, though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Invictus wrote:
I think my roomba is panicking because its battery is wearing down and it's having trouble self-parking in its dock.

I might be anthropomorphizing, though.

Or else it has commitment issues.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, that might be it. Well, he finally get himself parked. Now his little blinking light looks full of doubt and regret.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:31 pm 
Semen Strong

You need a-roomba-therapy :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:33 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

My good good friend that I haven't seen in a few months came over for dinner and it was WONDERFUL. We made a pact to see each other more often. She took a picture of me cooking (see user image thread!) and she liked dinner and she is going to cut my hair on Tuesday and we are both happily crushing on nice dudes. Hooray, life!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

DarthCupcake wrote:
I am 27 years old and I am completely incapable of committing to a career path STILL. What is wrong with me.

I'll be 29 next month and no idea what I want to do with myself. Maybe an idea, but no idea as to what is actually attainable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

There was a car accident in front of my house. I heard this huge crash and went to look and there were three cars sitting in the road. I think everyone was okay, but the driver of one car was arrested. He was drunk and was driving with a young child and a dog in his car.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Really? I'm going through this whole ordeal with the iron infusions and my body thinks it a good idea to have an early period? I guess this explains why I've been extra bisque-y and eaten two marzipan bars today.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:56 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Tofulish wrote:

Swear to god I read this three times before I got the pun.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:02 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Moon wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:
I am 27 years old and I am completely incapable of committing to a career path STILL. What is wrong with me.

I'll be 29 next month and no idea what I want to do with myself. Maybe an idea, but no idea as to what is actually attainable.

I'm 29 and I am still non-committal! Actually, I used to think I knew what I wanted to do and in what field, and then I realized that was all wrong. Or mostly wrong. Now I'm not sure again.

What I'm saying is, DarthCupcake, it's not just you. (But maybe it's vegans. Oh em gee, new stereotype!)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:05 pm 
Semen Strong

kilgore trout wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Swear to god I read this three times before I got the pun.

Thank you for doing that. I laughed so hard while typing it. I am such a dork.

I am 40 and have no idea what I want to do when I grow up. Well, besides run an island B&B and scuba dive all day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

there should be a non-committal career thread. i'm 25 and i'm one too! i feel like all my friends (those who i'm still in touch with, at least) from high school are starting their careers and here i am, totally afraid to make decisions one way or the other. i enjoy my life and what i'm doing, but i'm not sure if i'll even still be doing it 6 months from now. if i should still be doing it 6 months, 1yr, 2yrs, etc. from now. i feel like as soon as i start thinking of potentialities, i come up with 100 more fears to match them. and so i stay where i am because i'm relatively content and safe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:00 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lavawitch wrote:
My biggest problem with kids right now are the entitled jerks. My struggling with life shitting on them kids are either not in school or are trying their best. Mostly, they aren't in school, but I can't worry about that because my focus is in the kids I see.

I'm just pissed off and bitter every quarter this time because of the crepe. My current health issues aren't helping.

On a good note: can you guys help me come up with a graduation present for a student? She has been so sweet and kind of clingy to me since she told me her (awful) circumstances. She is trying to be an amazing role model for her younger sister and wants to show her that they can do well in school. She is going to go to cc in the fall. Anyway, I want to get her something nice. Any ideas that would be appropriate, not embarrass her (I'll give it to her privately of course), be useful, make her feel good. My mom is going to pitch in on the cost. She doesn't really have nice things, and a lot of her stuff got stolen/thrown out recently.

Can you take her out to dinner? Nobody can steal that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:05 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Out of school contact with students, even if they just graduated can be problematic. Also, it would be a 3-4 hr round trip drive for me, and Im just not that nice.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:10 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

What about a not-super-fancy necklace? Ohhh could you get one with a rock/stone that you studied?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:11 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Would the bookstore at her college maybe do a gift certificate? Or does everyone just buy textbooks online now? (I feel old.) A nice planner?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:25 am 
Discovered unobtainium

She liked astronomy! Maybe I could do a cute meteorite necklace. I like the planner idea too, but not sure if I can find one for next year in May.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:31 am 
Chard Martyr

Or maybe even a gift certificate for something she'd never treat herself to independently, such as a facial or manicure, or something as simple as a voucher for a sauna or some other not-too-expensive relaxing experience.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:43 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm going to have a think about it LW and see what my brain can think of. Thanks so much for looking out for her. From being one of those kids it means the world to have a role model.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:59 am 
Dead by dawn

lavawitch wrote:
She liked astronomy! Maybe I could do a cute meteorite necklace. I like the planner idea too, but not sure if I can find one for next year in May.

By May you might be able to find one for the academic year. The ones I use at work (just 'cause I like the format) run from August to August.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:22 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

LW, I was thinking a semi-nice pen or a pair of earrings. The meteorite necklace sounds awesome though!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ndpittman wrote:
LW, I was thinking a semi-nice pen or a pair of earrings. The meteorite necklace sounds awesome though!

Oooh, I think a really nice pen that's engraved is a cool idea. It's rather "grown up" and people won't be inclined to steal it because it's engraved. Maybe?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:56 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Pinko wrote:
Would the bookstore at her college maybe do a gift certificate? Or does everyone just buy textbooks online now? (I feel old.) A nice planner?

I think something like this to help with practical things she'll need would be good. If she isn't financially secure it would be super helpful to not have to struggle to get basics when she gets started at her community college.

Panda With Cookie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374 ... 1828  Next