| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

interrobang?! wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
daisychain wrote:
Restaurants claiming a dish is vegetarian despite having parmesan cheese in it. More of a vegetarian pet peeve but if this country can't get vegetarian right how will I ever trust them with getting vegan right!

I don't understand...parmesan is vegetarian, right? It's cheese.

Parmesan always has animal rennet in it, at least if it's actual parmesan:

"Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano). In order to be called ‘Parmesan’ this has to be produced according to traditional methods which use calf rennet. The regulations for its production state the following ingredients; cows milk, salt and calf rennet. The milk comes from cows reared in the defined geographical area and the use of the term parmesan as a product description is limited by European Union labelling law to being region specific"
http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=495

Shy Mox wrote:
Maybe not in Canada? I just checked my roommate's parm, no rennet.
It's not parmesan, then. Not that it matters to us in terms of eatings! but parmesan, to be called parmesan, is a particular thing made in a particular manner.

Canada is definitely renegade, then! two different brands, one is Kraft, no rennet.

I know it doesn't matter now but I feel a bit better knowing I probably didn't eat any when I was vegetarian.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:21 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We recently moved to a new neighborhood that's near my grandmother's house. She knows I'm vegan and she knows what vegan means. Plus she reads all my Facebook posts and I'm constantly putting up vegan recipes, Farm Sanctuary links, etc.

So tonight she calls and tells me she's bringing us dinner. Specifically that she's bringing us prosciutto-stuffed steak for dinner. Is that even a thing?

I was as polite and gentle as I could possibly be in declining but she's still super pissed off about it and has already left one angry white wine fueled voicemail. Ah, family.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Alaina wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
i dont think omnis understand how pervasive milk products are.
the sriacha chips are a perfect example.

one of my coworkers keeps like candy and stuff on the file cabinet behind her desk. usually it's stuff i cant eat but no biggie.
one week she was all excited because she bought these granola bars. they had pictures of endangered animals on them and had all sorts of key words like "ORGANIC!" and "NATURAL" and "GLUTEN FREE" on the packaging and hten later after she bought them she read the ingredients and saw there was milk in them.

she just assumed it was vegan because of all the buzzwords.

Ah is that the answer: buzzwords?

i think it is. i have found that "gluten-free" to many people means "vegan" despite really the 2 having nothing to do with each other but apparently one limiting diet must be the same as another.

"natural" and "organic" are big ones too. even though there really are no real rules about about how you use those words. well there is some rules for organic but it obviously doesnt mean vegan.

i will fess up to being a dumb former vegetarian and i didnt know about rennet.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:08 pm 
Semen Strong

equus wrote:
Specifically that she's bringing us prosciutto-stuffed steak for dinner. Is that even a thing?

I was as polite and gentle as I could possibly be in declining but she's still super pissed off about it and has already left one angry white wine fueled voicemail. Ah, family.

Ugh, everyone knows white wine doesn't go with prosciutto stuffed steak! Break out the hefty reds grandma!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:30 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Wow, I had no idea that rennet wasn't considered vegetarian, though I realize that gelatin isn't. I was probably the worst vegetarian ever (though parmesan stinks [literally], so I don't think I ate much of it). Thanks for the knowledge bomb, PPK!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Shy Mox wrote:
Canada is definitely renegade, then! two different brands, one is Kraft, no rennet.

I know it doesn't matter now but I feel a bit better knowing I probably didn't eat any when I was vegetarian.

You're probably looking at parm in shakey cans? I don't think it counts as real parm. The stuff you have to shave yourself is the real thing!

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:35 am 
Nooch of Earl

^- I kinda love vegans being snobby about things they don't even eat.

My vegan pet peeve: my vegans get their protein from sucking the joy out of everything around them mug didn't arrive today! Maybe tomorrow. But I want angry vegan coffee tomorrow morning!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:49 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Moon wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

You're probably looking at parm in shakey cans? I don't think it counts as real parm. The stuff you have to shave yourself is the real thing!

I feel like there was a discussion about this on another thread recently. The name is legally protected in Europe, so it can only be called Parmigiano-Reggiano (and I think also Parmesan) if it's made in a certain way and in a certain region in Italy. (Kind of like only Champagne can be called Champagne, and the rest is "sparkling wine".) Outside the EU, you can call other stuff Parmesan even though it's only vaguely Parmesan like (thus the Kraft stuff in a shake can).

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:43 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annak wrote:
^- I kinda love vegans being snobby about things they don't even eat.

My vegan pet peeve: my vegans get their protein from sucking the joy out of everything around them mug didn't arrive today! Maybe tomorrow. But I want angry vegan coffee tomorrow morning!

I was thinking that exact thing when I was writing it. Also, your coffee mug sounds hilarious, hopefully it gets to you soon so you can have much angry vegan coffee!

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Agreed re: coffee mug that sounds ridiculous awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:05 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

LazySmurf wrote:
When the local co-op announces that they have started carrying beyond meat on Facebook and first comment is, but is it nogmo organic, the second is why would you want to eat something that resembles a slaughtered animal, and third third is I think it tastes like dog food.

Way to support out people who might have considered trying this product to cut down on their meat intake crassholes.

Ha! That happens here all the time. It must be so disheartening as a vegan business to always have vegans complaining that your food isn't "good enough" to meet the ridiculous demands of every single individual. The entitlement is mindblowing at times.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:27 am 
Saggy Butt

pandacookie wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:
When the local co-op announces that they have started carrying beyond meat on Facebook and first comment is, but is it nogmo organic, the second is why would you want to eat something that resembles a slaughtered animal, and third third is I think it tastes like dog food.

Way to support out people who might have considered trying this product to cut down on their meat intake crassholes.

Ha! That happens here all the time. It must be so disheartening as a vegan business to always have vegans complaining that your food isn't "good enough" to meet the ridiculous demands of every single individual. The entitlement is mindblowing at times.

I work in a 140,000 square foot grocery store with thousands and thousands of products, and even still people constantly whine that we don't have the exact variety/brand/flavor of whatever item their looking for. i can't even imagine what people who work for smaller stores go through.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have to admit when I was vegetarian I didn't really know all that much about the rennet thing. I thought parmesan cheese smelled awful so never had it anyway. I blame the lack of knowledge amongst people claiming something is vegetarian as the reason for my lack of knowledge and confusion over things.

It's sad that I would rather eat at home rather than trust a restaurant to serve me something appropriate to my lifestyle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Rennet is in a lot of cheeses, not just parm. I don't know any vegetarians who avoid cheese with rennet. I'm not saying they don't exist but I don't think it's common.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I was vegetarian for a very long time, and I never knew about rennet either. And I was a cheese snob, so the stuff I was buying definitely had rennet. To be fair, I never knew any vegetarians, and everyone where I live think that chicken counts at vegetarian. Oh well, at least I am learning now.

My current pet peeve is that my grocery store doesn't carry the sweet and spicy chili Doritos, and several other vegan-friendly products that I liked. The store is becoming less- vegan friendly overall, still their produce is amazing, so I put up with it still.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Butternut wrote:
Rennet is in a lot of cheeses, not just parm. I don't know any vegetarians who avoid cheese with rennet. I'm not saying they don't exist but I don't think it's common.
I always did! Likewise other veggies I knew. Most supermarkets here, at least, mark which cheeses are vegetarian. The deli near us also does, actually, and about a quarter of them there are.

With the chicken thing, there is possible logic to it: lots of people define vegetarian, quite reasonably, as "s/he don't eat no meat!", and to lots of people, chicken isn't meat; it's poultry, which is a different culinary category. Then again, they might just be silly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I always knew about rennet, I was just apparently happy to not pay attention to that for 17 years. I worked at the Whole Foods cheese counter for a while, so I knew a lot about different cheese. And reggiano used to be one of my favorite things. Ugh.

Soft cheeses are really the only ones likely to use vegetable rennet. Maybe some mild cheddars, farmers cheese, yogurt cheese, goat cheese, etc. Mozzarella can vary. I remember Pizza Uno used to label on their menu which pizzas were actually vegetarian (no animal rennet), which was pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:23 pm 
WELFARIST!

pandacookie wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

This exactly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:37 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Went to a potluck last night and had trouble deciding what to bring. My mom's helpful suggestions consisted of chicken or chicken with lemon, because "Not everyone is "vegetarian" you know!" Seriously? She was genuinely upset I was inflicting my non-meat eating ways on others. So people can't bring chips or hummus or (in my case) the delicious coffee chip muffins from Vegan Brunch? Which everyone devoured btw.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I live in a very meat-centric city that until several years ago had very few vegetarian restaurant options, and vegan was a pipe dream. Now we have a couple of vegan places and there is this overwhelming atmosphere (on yelp, in veg groups, etc) of "we must heap praise upon them no matter what, for they are vegan!" But one of them is just awful. Like AWFUL awful and I've tried multiple menu options on multiple different visits to try to give them a fair shake. Their "crab dip" is straight-from-the-can jackfruit mixed with tofutti cream cheese. No detectable seasonings, not even salt. But if I start bisqueing about it it's all "oh nooooo, you can't insult them, they're all-vegan and we need more vegan restaurants!"

NO, no we do not need more vegan restaurants that are so shitty that if omnivores go there they're gonna walk away going, yep, glad I'm not vegan because that was gross. I mean, they have the right to exist just like crappy omni restaurants do, but don't expect me to fart rainbows about it just because they half-assed something out of a can of jackfruit instead of half-assing it out of a can of imitation crab.

...ok in hindsight I might be disproportionately peeved about this. But I was really hungry and that shiitake was terrible!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i agree with you, equus. many many moons ago i remember the first vegan restaurant in the city i was in. the service was HORRIBLE. by which i don't just mean slow: the owner/chef/server was so rude that Gordon Ramsey probably would have been speechless, she was such a snarling bisque. the food was okay, but it had an all-vegan menu and that was brand new. the place was embarrassing, as you couldn't go there with anyone, but a negative word about the place and you were trying to kill veganism.

i really don't see any problem with holding a veg restaurant to the same standard you'd hold another restaurant: the food has to be good. i don't think that's too much to ask.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:06 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

pandacookie wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

This really bums me out too. There's a burrito place I've been to several times that is really accommodating for vegans--vegetarian options are cooked separately from meat, and they're glad to leave cheese/sour cream off of anything. One reviewer on Happy Cow left a terrible review because they didn't have anything organic, no brown rice, no vegan sour cream, no vegan cheese, etc. They're not listed as a vegan restaurant, they're vegan-friendly, I can't imagine expecting them to automatically have all that stuff. It would be amazing if they did, but I mean, I'm glad I can get a decent burrito and not worry about cross contamination.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Wooohooo! One of the places that had the parmesan cheese on the vegetarian option thanked me for pointing out that it has rennet so are changing their menu. So pleased especially since they already accommodate vegans.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

I found Vegan shakey-parm-type cheese today HOORAY!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

oh, i'm not such a fan of that stuff. i'd rather just shake on nooch. but it's been years since i've had it. maybe it's better now?

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 10578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194 ... 424  Next