| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:41 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I was invited to a birthday party for a friend. I was acquainted with the people who were hosting it and most of the people who were attending, but I didn't know any of them well. I did know that none of them were vegetarian, much less vegan. I asked what I could bring and sort of figured that would likely be the only thing I could eat, but no big deal, it's not a party for me.

Every single dish was vegan! The three people hosting found out from my friend that I was vegan so they went on line to the library and found all kinds of recipes. They even ordered the cake from a vegan bakery so I wouldn't be left out. The food was amazing and they were so excited about it. I just wanted to cry over their incredible thoughtfulness!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:43 pm 
WRETCHED

So going out to lunch with coworkers is always iffy but a quasi-coworker suggested lunch for a few people and the lunch suggestion was an Indian place that has vegan dishes! I'm amazed. It didn't involve me trying to coerce people to go to a place that has vegan dishes or deal with people that say 'that is way too exotic for me'. I am kind of shocked.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:21 pm 
Dead by dawn

I found out today that Veggie Grill is opening a downtown Seattle location. I don't know where or when, but I work downtown so yay!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

HAHAHAHAHA. I just found this comment on an NPR article, in response to someone who was saying that vegans should just mind their own business and stop caring what others eat: "Yeah, seriously!! Are you a racist? None of my business!! A pedophile? Who cares!! Live your own morals! Like killing hobos? Sounds like a great idea to me!! YOLO!!!"

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

njak wrote:
I was invited to a birthday party for a friend. I was acquainted with the people who were hosting it and most of the people who were attending, but I didn't know any of them well. I did know that none of them were vegetarian, much less vegan. I asked what I could bring and sort of figured that would likely be the only thing I could eat, but no big deal, it's not a party for me.

Every single dish was vegan! The three people hosting found out from my friend that I was vegan so they went on line to the library and found all kinds of recipes. They even ordered the cake from a vegan bakery so I wouldn't be left out. The food was amazing and they were so excited about it. I just wanted to cry over their incredible thoughtfulness!

I would probably have cried. For real.

I have been posting to instagram a lot lately, and sometimes sharing on FB (all food pics). People are responding really well to my food pictures. I have zero vegan or vegetarian friends, so that is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

A co-worker of mine is health-minded but repeatedly tells me how he likes non-vegan food. Yesterday he went to get lunch and came back with a Field Roast Hazelnut Patty and roasted veggies from Whole Foods. He LOVED it and said he was surprised at how delicious and filling it was. He said that it was my influence that got him to try it (I never mentioned that product or suggested to him to eat vegan foods - just talked about my own food). I think that's going to be his go-to for lunch now!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I wasn't sure if this belonged in peeves or awesomes, but I take it as a win, so here it is.

I sent a care package full of Dutch and Belgian goodies to an omni friend of mine recently, and while I didn't specify that everything was vegan, of course, everything was vegan. Most of the stuff in there, including some Belgian chocolate was "accidentally vegan" (i.e. not marked as such) but I also sent her a box of Booja-Booja bonbons that had "vegan" written on the box. She ate the Belgian chocolate first, and raved about it. (I think she asked if it was made from kitten purrs and unicorn fluff.) Today she tried the Booja-Booja and wrote on FB "I would never have believed vegan chocolate would not taste like paste, but these were astoundingly good. _________ you have convinced me that vegan does not equal paste."

I couldn't resist pointing out to her that the Belgian chocolates that she raved about earlier this week were also vegan. She hasn't reacted yet, so I don't know how that news will go down.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:24 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I just read online that the vet we go to (and whom I love) is vegan! I didn't know that before but now I'm super excited for my new puppy's first appointment!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my baby shower was saturday. at first i was displeased at how the whole thing was playing out but in the end i ended up having a bigger say in the food selections and my mom went and bought me a vegan cake.

my shower ended up being like 95% vegan. it was a buffet and there was a chicken sandwich option and a veg sandwich. if my memory serves me correctly everything else was vegan except for some chunks of feta on the Mediterranean appetizer tray.
everyone said the food was really good.
they made me a special sandwich because the veg sandwiches were served on croissants which we just assumed had butter in them so my mom picked up a regular bread roll for me and they made me a special sandwich on that. and they were SO NICE to me. they brought out my sandwich and had it ready for me special since i was the "guest of honor" and told me everything on the table that was vegan (which was almost everything).
i need to write them a thank you note, they were awesome.

AND holy crepe the cake was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it was the most delicious thing i have ever tasted.

my mom got it from the Bean Counter in Shrewsbury, MA. someone on here recommended the one in Worcester (i think bap did????? i cant remember)
it was sooo good and it was a HUGE HIT.

the only problem is it was so good it makes all my vegan baked goods i make look like piles of puke.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:29 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

We were at Easter Dinner on Friday with T.'s family. A backstory: his sister and him were vegan as teenagers (he still is, she's a fishatarian now) and they made a tofu cheesecake. His family was eating it, then someone got wise and said, "Does...this...have tofu in it?" They said yes, and everyone spit it out, despite the fact that they were previously enjoying it.

Anyway.

His aunt and her husband watched Vegucated. I haven't seen it, but they were incredibly moved by it. They were asking us all sorts of questions about being vegan, and talking about the horrors of egg production and dairy. Aunt's husband even said that he didn't realize that cows needed to be pregnant to make milk. They tried some of the Field Roast that we brought and loved it. He did have a bit of ham on his plate and ate the nasty jello/marshmallow salad, but baby steps.
Both T. and myself were quite impressed and pleased by how that played out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Mother in law took me out to veggie dim sum for lunch today, and she absolutely loved it. I wasn't sure how she'd react to the seitan strip dish but she was raving over everything and is excited to go back. She loves dim sum and is pretty open minded about food so I'm not surprised that she liked it, but it's nice to have a fall back place when we hang out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:21 pm 
Semen Strong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:59 am 
Discovered unobtainium

That's awesome, and I want to pet the pig.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:20 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ermagherd it's like the perfect response to the stupid deserted island question.

that pig is so cute. I want to kiss his snout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:20 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

If I ate that adorable pig, who would I snuggle on the desert island? Who? Hmmmm?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 am 
Semen Strong

I know! It looks like a perfect vacation - verdant island, sandy beach, sunshine, warm water and pigsnuggles.

I thought it was the best response to the stupid "hypothetical" I've seen. And a good reminder not to get bogged down into hypotheticals when challenged, but to point to the realities we are dealing with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:47 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

A.) That pig is adorable!
B.) I'm going to remember that next time I get asked the stupid deserted island question, which happens more frequently than I would ever have guessed.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The two new people at work are so positive about me being vegan and want me to bring in more cookbooks to look at. Such a pity that I don't get to work with them more closely.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:01 am 
Saggy Butt

: last night the host of my RPG game had made pinwheels with vegan dough, tofutti cheese and smoked tofurkey. I hadn't asked her to make anything special for me and I'd brought my own food. it was so thoughtful and tasty! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:40 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yum!

So after whining about it yesterday, my new mugs came. So angry! So feminist! So vegan!

I'm drinking my coffee out of the vegan mug now, yay!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:43 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

annak wrote:
Yum!

So after whining about it yesterday, my new mugs came. So angry! So feminist! So vegan!

I'm drinking my coffee out of the vegan mug now, yay!

Where are you getting these fantastic mugs?!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:50 am 
Semen Strong

Those are awesome annak!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:54 am 
Nooch of Earl

They were both zazzle acquisitions. I wanted a feminist mug and a vegan one, and after wading through page after page of @#$% I decided these were the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:01 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Love the vegan mug!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Those mugs are great! I'll have to check out the website, I'm a sucker for snarky mugs. I'm currently drinking out of the Onion mug that says "I enjoy colombia's second-finest export."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 27  Next