| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 ... 473  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:14 pm 
WELFARIST!

geeksweetheart wrote:
I found Vegan shakey-parm-type cheese today HOORAY!!!

You can make your own out of ground almonds, nooch and salt (I believe those are the ingredients). I don't know how authentic it tastes but I thought I'd throw that out there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I think many recipes also call for a smidge of miso as well... maybe something else. I think I've used Bryanna Clark Grogan's recipe the most.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:37 am 
WRETCHED

Mr. Shankly wrote:
geeksweetheart wrote:

You can make your own out of ground almonds, nooch and salt (I believe those are the ingredients). I don't know how authentic it tastes but I thought I'd throw that out there.

The one from yellow rose recipes has walnuts I believe and it is really good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:43 am 
WRETCHED

I was offered pasta the first time yesterday as an option at a catered event. It was a chicken dish but the pasta was only next to the pasta in the serving container and not mixed in so it should be fine. To be fair, I didn't realize the event was catered until the day prior and didn't tell the event organizer I was vegetarian let alone vegan. The options were pasta and pizza. I brought my own sandwich.

Later on I found out the event organizer used to be vegetarian and she called me a real vegetarian for not eating the chicken pasta dish.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:17 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

linanil wrote:
Later on I found out the event organizer used to be vegetarian and she called me a real vegetarian for not eating the chicken pasta dish.

Congrats?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:27 am 
Flounceiad 2011

lutin wrote:
linanil wrote:

Congrats?
Are you one of those crazy megavegetarians who doesn't eat meat? That's pretty hardcore.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

In the United States, it actually is pretty hard to tell if a cheese contains rennet or not, because most ingredient lists use the word "enzymes" for rennet, which could be vegetable or animal-derived. Places like WF and Trader Joe's are better about using "rennet" or specifying animal or plant.

I avoided rennet-containing cheeses in grocery stores as a vegetarian, but I wouldn't ask about it in restaurants, since no one would have any idea what I was talking about... just hoped for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:09 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

creep wrote:
In the United States, it actually is pretty hard to tell if a cheese contains rennet or not, because most ingredient lists use the word "enzymes" for rennet, which could be vegetable or animal-derived. Places like WF and Trader Joe's are better about using "rennet" or specifying animal or plant.

I avoided rennet-containing cheeses in grocery stores as a vegetarian, but I wouldn't ask about it in restaurants, since no one would have any idea what I was talking about... just hoped for the best.

Yeah, that was me. When I bought cheese for myself, I'd always get ones with vegetarian rennet. But when I ordered a pizza or the vegetarian dish somewhere, I just assumed that it had animal rennet, but tried not to think about it because there's usually just one vegetarian option here and I just wanted to be able to eat something when I was out with friends.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:19 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

This isn't really a pet peeve because it happens so often, I don't have the energy to be annoyed. But I thought it was funny.

We were setting up our VegFest on Friday and hanging a huge banner on the fence. It took us maybe a minute to hang, and in that time we had three vehicles stop to say:

1. Man in truck, "Will there be steak?" [silent internal laughing]
2. Mailman in mail truck, "Will there be BBQ?" [silent internal laughing]
3. Man on scooter, "What's a VegFest? That sounds so cool!"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:32 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

how do i tell a dear new-ish vegan friend that honey is not vegan? he sent me some honey cereal & i do not want to be a bisque about it...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:45 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

missmuffcake wrote:
how do i tell a dear new-ish vegan friend that honey is not vegan? he sent me some honey cereal & i do not want to be a bisque about it...

Unless you think he'll send you more cereal soon, I'd let it go. He'll probably run across that information on his own if he stays vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:40 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

mollyjade wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Unless you think he'll send you more cereal soon, I'd let it go. He'll probably run across that information on his own if he stays vegan.

You can tell him you don't eat honey because of beekeeping issues and maybe send him a link; you don't need to directly say it isn't vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:29 pm 
Chip Strong

missmuffcake wrote:

My advice? Be open and honest about it: say thank you for the thought, but unfortunately honey isn't considered vegan as it's made by animals. If you don't tell him now and he finds out further down the line from some other source, he will likely feel some combination of being embarrassed at his mistake and upset/angry that you did not tell him now, which would not be helpful.

Whilst the cereal is clearly not a welcome gift, the thought and kindness he clearly put into sending you a present he believed was vegan is still something worth thanking for at the same time as compassionately explaining why honey isn't vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Imogen wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Whilst the cereal is clearly not a welcome gift, the thought and kindness he clearly put into sending you a present he believed was vegan is still something worth thanking for at the same time as compassionately explaining why honey isn't vegan.

Yes! I just want to be nice and not make him feel bad. He is the nicest person in the world!

Ohh vegan-grip: nut mixes with milk powder in them...why!?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

annak wrote:
The sides of the packaging look the same, so I accidentally bought garlic chive tofutti. And blueberry bagels.

Damn it! I totally did this today. Well, plain bagels. But still. Spring for some different cartons, Tofutti! Or put a sticker on the side or something.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:40 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just got this email from a restaurant that I had emailed to find out if they have vegan options. This is their entire reply.

Quote:
sorry it is Authentic Venezuelan food... so far we don't believe on vegan bcs our food is too good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Well then...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:00 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I just got this email from a restaurant that I had emailed to find out if they have vegan options. This is their entire reply.

Quote:
sorry it is Authentic Venezuelan food... so far we don't believe on vegan bcs our food is too good.

One new restaurant I was super excited about and emailed to check on two dishes that seemed obviously vegan (but you never know!) never replied to me so I called (and called and called because nobody picked up for weeks). When I finally got someone on the phone I was super nice ("Hi! I've been reading so much about your new place and I'm really looking forward to trying dish X and dish Y, I just wanted to check and see if they were vegan or if not, if they could be made vegan!"), and the response I got was No, we don't want to mess with our authentic flavor profiles. My inside voice said, You are a hipster fusion place! Your flavor profiles are already messed with! You are putting bacon in things that are authentically baconless! My outside voice thanked them and said I'd be sure to check and see if they added any vegan dishes in the future. They didn't even have one single vegetarian dish because they put fish or shrimp in everything.

I guess that's not really the same thing but I was vexed and this reminded me!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

When people feel compelled to tag me in random Facebook posts of piles of fruit posing as cake. Um, I eat cake.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:39 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

karichelle wrote:
When people feel compelled to tag me in random Facebook posts of piles of fruit posing as cake. Um, I eat cake.

This sort of happened to me, but it was a picture of a nude Richard Simmons laying around in a pile of vegetables.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

allularpunk wrote:
karichelle wrote:

This sort of happened to me, but it was a picture of a nude Richard Simmons laying around in a pile of vegetables.

NO! You're kidding me? I was tagged in that exact same picture about 3 years ago. Hivemind insanity.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

linanil wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
geeksweetheart wrote:

The one from yellow rose recipes has walnuts I believe and it is really good.

Thanks! I'll check that out. I'm hoping this stuff tastes like the green shaker can. I liked Parmesan, but nothing tastes better on spaghetti than that to me, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:35 pm 
Nooch of Earl

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Quote:

Maybe it's the second glass of wine but this made me laugh so hard.

I'M TOO SEXY FOR THE VEGANS.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:01 am 
Chard Martyr

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Quote:

I HATE responses like this one! At least be professional and don't act as though all the vegans of the world are out to make your food not good. If your food is SOOOOOO good, can you seriously not veganize a dish or two and still feel confident in its "goodness"?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:18 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Quote:

they don't believe in vegans? like they don't believe in ghosts?

that's kind of a snotty reply. I mean just say they serve authentic Venezuelan food and that is traditionally that is meat heavy and sorry they don't have anything for you.

why be rude that's not gonna help their business!!!

RUDDDDDDEEEEE!!!

we have a lot of Brazilian restaurants around here and ive always been intrigued but never gone in because I believe Brazilian food is very meat heavy and the Brazilians I used to work with were always eating beef.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 ... 473  Next