| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quebec City
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:05 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'll be visiting Quebec City for the first time in July - any restaurant recommendations? Google isn't being must help for once! They don't have to be specifically vegan/vegetarian places, just with good vegan options on the menu, within a reasonable price range...
Thanks PPK!

Post subject: Re: Quebec City
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Have you checked happy cow? I have no recommendations but that'll probably be a good bet in terms of knowing what's veg friendly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:59 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

There is not much in Qc city from what I know. Then again, I'm not a local either. Zen restaurant might be the only one that I could recommend. Standard pan-asian veg restaurant but it still hits the spot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

YEah I did a happy cow search and found a few places, but I always like hearing what the locals recommend. I'll report back in August!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:58 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Maybe it's too late since it's already July, but anyway the info might be useful to other people.

I've lived in Quebec City my whole life, but I've only been vegan since January, so while I know the city well I don't know everything about vegan options.

The only vegetarian restaurant in Quebec City is Restaurant Zen. It has vegan options but I think you have to ask what is vegan.

Non-vegetarian restaurants known for offering at least one vegan option are Le Tiers-temps, which just opened, and Café Babylone, which I think is in vacation right now.

I must admit I haven't eaten in either of these yet (I haven't many occasions of eating out). I usually eat at Thai Express (vegetarian options here) when I'm at the mall or something. You can get frozen soygourt (called Tofrui) at La Crémière, which tastes good.

There is a vegan potluck nearly every month. The next one is on August 9th, I can give you details if you will still be there by then.

You can buy vegan food at health food stores: Aliments de santé Laurier, Le Crac and Accomodation bio. Aliments de santé Laurier is the biggest.

There are vegan restaurants in Montreal. You can find them on this site. I haven't been to Montreal in a while so I never tried one. Lucky Montrealers.

And in Rimouski, a small city (much) farther north, Parfum de Corée (Korean food) is simply delicious. It offers three vegan main meals and one dessert (you have to ask what is vegan). And the boulangerie Les baguettes en l'air sells a variety of good vegan muffins (they're not advertized as vegan, you have to ask to make sure).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:05 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Oh, and a company that makes some frozen/refrigerated meals in Quebec should you need some is Le Commensal. There's also the better-known Amy's and others of course. But Le Commensal is easily found in supermarkets. Some of their meals are vegetarian, so always check the ingredients.

I'm not saying those meals are particulary good, note, they're just OK. And Le Commensal got itself a bad reputation when its restaurants went from vegetarian to flexitarian. Its Quebec City restaurant closed recently.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:14 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Oh, and one last thing: Restaurant Zen is known to have very slow service.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:08 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Bumping because we will be in Quebec City next weekend. I'm obviously looking for places to eat, but can anyone make recommendations about stuff to do/see? We'll only be there for the weekend.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:26 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

There is a new vegan restaurant, "Ôm Prana", but it is raw. It is in a meditation/yoga kind of place. They offer salads, sandwiches, a few other main dishes, juices, smoothies and desserts. Note that they have a small "grocery store" section that is not vegan.

Apart from that, Zen is still the only vegetarian restaurant in the city. As I said before, it is asian food, the food is OK and the service, slow. You have to ask the waiter what is vegan on the menu.

Among omni restaurants:
-Hosakaya as a vegan ramen that I like. With miso broth, vegetables, nori, tofu...
-At Gemini Pizza, you can choose the vegetable pizza and ask for Daiya instead of cheese (I heard that but I haven't tried it yet.)
-Les délices d'Adriana serves food from Afghanistan. The menu has a vegetarian section and you can ask for a version without dairy for most of the dishes. The naan is already without dairy, only you must ask that they don't spread butter on it.
- I heard there are vegan options at restaurants "Le Tiers Temps" and "Café Babylone".
-Thaï Express is a Thai fast food chain that has some vegan options. It is nothing special but has the advantage of a lot of locations.

Places to see... it is hard to tell in fact from one who has always lived here and travelled very little. I lack perspective. There is a fine arts museum, "Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec". You can see there all the exhibitions for a single price, including a permanent exhibition on Inuit art. There is also a museum centered more on history, society and such, "Musée de la civilisation". (There are of course countless other museums, but these are the two main ones.)

There is a big historical park I like a lot, "Parc des champs de bataille" also called "Plaines d'Abraham". It has trees, a garden and military fortifications. Though the leaves are barely out now and I'm not sure how green it would be by next weekend.

I like "Terrasse Dufferin" too, a nice place uptown where you can see the St-Lawrence River while walking along.

Most tourists end up in the "Vieux-Québec" and "Quartier Petit Champlain" parts of town. They are the most historical with old buildings and all that, but so tourist-oriented that they are artificial. With souvenir shops and inflated-price restaurants designed for tourists, practically no one actually living in those parts of the city, no commodities like grocery stores or drugstores, almost everything closed in winter... But I like the stone houses, the decorated churches and the quaintness of the place, and some shops are more artistic and less tacky.

Apart from tourists' restaurants and shops, don't expect too many people to understand English. And I would advise bringing a warm sweater since we are having a belated spring up to now.

I hope you have a nice time.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:58 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Thanks, Minatomachi; that's very helpful!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:35 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The last time I went to a Thai Express, the lady behind the counter told me there was fish sauce in everything! Is that true...or do they have vegan options now?

Also looking to travel to Quebec City in the summer, so I'm going to try some of those places! Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

loolie wrote:
The last time I went to a Thai Express, the lady behind the counter told me there was fish sauce in everything! Is that true...or do they have vegan options now?

Also looking to travel to Quebec City in the summer, so I'm going to try some of those places! Thanks! :)

The Thai Express at the Toronto airport told me their gluten free sauce was vegan also?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:20 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Their vegetarian sauce is supposed not to have fish sauce... You can ask for the vegetarian sauce in the fried rice, the pad thaï, the pad see ew and all flavours of the sautés except for the peanut and oyster flavours. For the fried rice, the pad thaï and the pad see ew, you have to ask for it to be without eggs too.

Here they say "our vegetarian sauce does not contain animal or seafood products": http://www.thaiexpress.ca/menu/nutrition/

What I'm worried about is not whether they have a vegan sauce or not, what I don't like is that when I order, "vegetarian" never seems to be written on the order, so how does the person who cooks it know they have to use the vegan sauce...