| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Tennessee?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So, it looks like we'll be in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area of Tennessee the week after Christmas with family. We'll be in a cabin so we can cook, but hoping to find a few places we can eat out as well. Any ideas?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Tennessee?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This is kind of what I imagined this thread would be like.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:35 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Maybe bryophyte (I can't remember her new username) will know of something, but honestly, I can't think of much of anything. Googling found me this place: http://www.wholeearthgrocery.com/ but I've never heard of it before, so I can't tell you if it's any good.

If you want to come to Knoxville, though, I could be of much more help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:36 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Isn't there some Loretta Lynn museum there? Or is that Dolly Parton?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:38 am 

Probably Dolly Parton (it's where Dollywood is).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ha, yes dollywood. I can't believe I let them talk me into this shiitake.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:25 am 
And you never will.

Yeah.... good luck. We went to Pigeon Forge (and stayed in a cabin) a few weeks ago, and there wasn't much. We ended up cooking all of our own food, but we saw a Mellow Mushroom in Pigeon Forge which will most likely be your best bet. It might not offer vegan cheese (the one in Memphis JUST started carrying Daiya - but it isn't on the menu, and we're in the most backward place ever, so it's certainly worth asking), but they all have things like tempeh and their pizza bases are vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tzippy wrote:
Maybe bryophyte (I can't remember her new username) will know of something, but honestly, I can't think of much of anything. Googling found me this place: http://www.wholeearthgrocery.com/ but I've never heard of it before, so I can't tell you if it's any good.

If you want to come to Knoxville, though, I could be of much more help.

Ah, thanks! I didn't see that when I was googling. The dude in the video is kind of disturbing but the owner said the word vegan, so that's hopeful! Is Knoxville far from there? I have no idea. We'll be stuck with the in-laws most of the time anyway.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:55 am 

Knoxville is about 45 minutes - 1 hour away.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:55 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Drive through Asheville on your way and I will send you off with a plate of cookies.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

poopiebitch wrote:
Yeah.... good luck. We went to Pigeon Forge (and stayed in a cabin) a few weeks ago, and there wasn't much. We ended up cooking all of our own food, but we saw a Mellow Mushroom in Pigeon Forge which will most likely be your best bet. It might not offer vegan cheese (the one in Memphis JUST started carrying Daiya - but it isn't on the menu, and we're in the most backward place ever, so it's certainly worth asking), but they all have things like tempeh and their pizza bases are vegan.

Oh they have a mellow mushroom! That's good news. Were the grocery stores vegan friendly? I'm imagining having to being a cooler of food or something.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
Drive through Asheville on your way and I will send you off with a plate of cookies.

mmm cookies.

I didn't realize Asheville was close! I guess I need to research this a bit. I was kind of ignoring it because I'm not thrilled with being in a cabin with my in-laws for a week.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:10 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Drive through Asheville on your way and I'll kidnap you and make you eat at the vegan places in Asheville instead of seeing your in laws.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
Drive through Asheville on your way and I'll kidnap you and make you eat at the vegan places in Asheville instead of seeing your in laws.

yes, please. they'll never even notice, right?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:36 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Alternately, take pandacookie to Dollywood with you!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:47 pm 

Asheville is about 2 hours east of Knoxville on I-40 (but if you're driving, I presume you'd be coming up through Atlanta, in which case you wouldn't be passing through NC).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:26 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Alternately, take pandacookie to Dollywood with you!

Yes! I am down with that. I will bring the cookies and the washtub bass.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:41 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Knoxville has a few places if you happen to pass thru there... TomatoHead is awesome and has lots of vegan options (even vegan cheez for their pizzas. I would say it's at least an hour from Pigeon Forge with no traffic. And beware - the traffic there can get RIDICULOUS.

There is (or at least used to be) an apple orchard there that has a restaurant.... not much to each there, but you can get fresh apple cider if you're into that.

My parents live about an hour from G'burg (Morristown), so I'll be in appalachia for xmas as well. Oooh, if you're driving thru Atlanta, stop in Marietta at Cosmo's vegan shoppe and STOCK UP. It's only a couple miles off I-75 I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:47 am 
Tofu Pup

I have been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon forge at least a dozen times. Only a few hours from Nashville & I love the mountains. It is an absolute tourist trap... but it is worth it to venture off into the park and enjoy the beauty. I have been several times as a vegetarian so I have a ton of suggestions for that, but I haven't been yet as a vegan. Grocery shopping will be a challenge if the Whole Earth Grocery isn't well stocked. There is a dreaded Wal-Mart & a non-veg friendly Foodland in Pigeon Forge and that is really about it.

First I would say my carnivore hubbie & I both think without a doubt the hands down best food is at a little out of the way italian place called Best Italian. They have a veggie primavera & sghetti which should be vegan...and their calzones are the biggest and best I have ever had so maybe one without the cheese? They stuffed my spinach/mushroom one with so many veggies I would not have missed the cheese. Here is there website: http://www.bestitalian.com/index.html

I haven't been to these but will try them when I go again:

There is a highly rated Japanese place in Pigeon Forge with veggie hibachi & sushi options: http://www.dininginthesmokies.com/_pigf ... rge_tn.htm

Mexican place that has veggie fajitas that could prob be vegan with a few adjustments: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/68/730800/r ... geon-Forge

Another Mexican place with possible options (with modifications the Chile Relleno?) & a good coupon at: http://www.letseat.at/LasOsitas/coupons

As a long time TN resident, I would say assume that all salads will have bacon, all greens/beans have pork, and people do not understand the meaning of vegan. We always stay in a friends cabin and cook breakfasts there, snack during the day and brave the restaurants for dinner only.

Oh and avoid No Way Jose's...looks cute, great location...disgusting, bland, touristy, hell hole!

The mountains & streams are SOOOO beautiful! Escape there when the touristy junk & possibly in-laws get to be too much! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:39 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Hey! Sorry, I don't have much to say to help, despite having worked in Gatlinburg for a total of nearly a year. I will ask my old coworker who is vegan and actually lived in Gburg though.

Usually I just assumed starvation! Really I only ever went to the brewery in Gatlinburg, which is good if you want beer. The pretzels are vegan if you just get yellow mustard instead of the honey mustard. I ate at Subway before going there.

I think there is a sushi place in Pigeon Forge, so there are veggie roll possibilities.

I did get a mini pizza once though, the crust was vegan but their usual pizza sauce wasn't vegan, their marinara was so they used that and I put my own daiya on top. It might have been that Italian place mentioned but I have a feeling it was a different place.

But yes, stop in Asheville on the way. If not I might visit you there anyway, giving me an excuse to hang out with former coworkers.

Hopefully the main road through the park is open when you come so you can see more of the Smokies!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:47 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Asheville isn't really on your way, ever but its worth the side trip! I'm sure your inlaws would be interested in Biltmore or something.

However, if 441 through the park is open (call the main # of the Smokies for road conditions, 865-436-1200 when just south of Atl as this is when the route splits ) looks like that's the shortest route, and probably more scenic, but make sure there won't be snow. Doesn't have you go past Asheville, but it does have you go past Sylva, where I lived for years, an hour from Asheville. It has a few really good veg friendly places I can suggest, but I'd probably hit up Atlanta on the way up too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:33 pm 

Oh, I love Dollywood. I have a soft spot for cheesiness.

Make sure you ride the train.
Careful on the Mystery Mine coaster, the pyrotechnics almost burned my eyebrows off. In a fun way!
The 50's era section blows & is boring.
The fake Dolly Parton childhood home is great.
The roller coasters are nothing if you are used to the huge amusement parks, but they are fun in their own way (I think I like them better, even).

Don't count on finding a lot of vegan stuff there. Usually, you can find a little kiosk where they make some sort of stir-fry and you'll be able to pick what goes in there. But I'm pretty sure the meat gets cooked on the same surface. Watch out for the sides; this is Dollywood, there will be meat in everything.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

I guess this is too late, but for future reference, there is a Kroger in Pigeon Forge that has a really good selection of vegan and organic foods. For when you're staying in a cabin, its a good place to stock up on foods.

There's a little mexican restaurant in Gatlinburg (cant remember the name), but they have vegetarian foods and could probably be made vegan (they were really nice about editing dishes for me).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:43 am 
Tofu Pup

Late on this too but I ate at No Way Jose's Cantina when I was there last year.

http://www.nowayjosescantina.com/menu.p ... gorie_id=4

I had the vegetarian burrito with no sour cream and had it with guacamole instead,

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]