| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 312  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:19 pm 
Semen Strong

-Congratulations suburban vegan! How cool! There are quite a few twin mamas here, who were vegan for their whole pregnancies and had the most incredibly beautiful babies. And a former poster had 2 sets of vegan twins, through 2 vegan pregnancies and her children are now 3 and 10.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:39 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

sashi wrote:

Has anyone had any problems with sciatica pain? My right butt cheek is killing me and I can hardly walk. It seems if I do any normal activity (like stand at the playground for a couple of hours chasing Ada around or just being out walking around and up and down subway stairs a lot) it gets painful by the end of the day or next day. We walk everywhere so staying close to the apartment for the next ten weeks doesn't really work. And ouch.

I am SO GLAD I looked at this thread. I had no idea what that pain was and I got scared it was a tumor. It started soon after becoming pregnant (I'm ONLY 3 weeks right now). The first day, I couldn't walk on my left leg at all. Now it's a dull pain that comes and goes in my lower left butt cheek. I had no idea that this was a symptom! This is my first time experiencing this (and my first time being pregnant).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Stepping in here with my own pregnancy update....being that I'm pregnant! Yay! It is super early, but I am so excited!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Contratulations GinaKina and Bastah! A new crop of PPK babies started!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:42 pm 
Nooch of Earl

The second baby is made of cheeeeese!

Welcome, suburbanvegan, and congratulations! It seems like there's been a rash of vegan twins lately! So you'll be in good company. I found the book "Eating for Pregnancy" useful, informative, and veg-friendly, but I'd have to dig it out to see what advice it gives about twins.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:42 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Welcome suburbanvegan and congratulations! I gave birth to super healthy twins last August and I was able to maintain my veganism throughout my pregnancy. I did have some challenges. I had gestational diabetes and I was pretty anemic. I actually had to get a series of iron infusions. That wasn't really too bad, just an inconvenience. If I knew then what I know now, I would have started taking Floravital at the beginning of my pregnancy. I don't really attribute my anemia to being vegan, as I've always been a bit anemic even when I ate meat. And with twins, your iron needs are so much more. I was very fortunate that my doctor was very supportive about my being vegan and never made it an issue. If you have any questions about anything I'm more than happy to share my experience.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:13 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

woo-hoo! congrats and welcome to all the new folks!

I don't know anything about twinsies but I found Vegan for Life a helpful book just as a normal vegan and then there is a section about pregnancy, one about breastfeeding, and one about kids. not sure if it addresses twins but it is a helpful resource in general!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:30 pm 
Chip Strong

bastah wrote:
sashi wrote:

Has anyone had any problems with sciatica pain? My right butt cheek is killing me and I can hardly walk. It seems if I do any normal activity (like stand at the playground for a couple of hours chasing Ada around or just being out walking around and up and down subway stairs a lot) it gets painful by the end of the day or next day. We walk everywhere so staying close to the apartment for the next ten weeks doesn't really work. And ouch.

I am SO GLAD I looked at this thread. I had no idea what that pain was and I got scared it was a tumor. It started soon after becoming pregnant (I'm ONLY 3 weeks right now). The first day, I couldn't walk on my left leg at all. Now it's a dull pain that comes and goes in my lower left butt cheek. I had no idea that this was a symptom! This is my first time experiencing this (and my first time being pregnant).
Oh interesting! I just started getting it recently and I was thinking its from how the baby is positioned. But I'm guessing your expanding uterus is causing it. Pregnancy does strange things!

Congrats suburbanvegan and GinaKina!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:50 am 
Tofu Pup

Thank you for the twin pregnancy advice. I will check out Eating for Pregnancy and the Floravital. I've heard anemia can be an issue for anyone with twins, not just vegans. I have The Everything Vegan Pregnancy Book, which occasionally references multiples. It's a pretty good book with some recipes (if I ever feel like cooking again). I also have Vegan for Life. I'm sure I just skipped over the pregnancy section as it did not apply to me then, but I will go back and look at that.

The When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads book is the one I read that said if you have multiples you must eat dairy and eggs, but the author also said vegetarians had to do food-combining (like beans & rice in one meal) for complete protein. It's hard for me to take anyone's nutritional advice seriously when they say things like that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so i just had my BPP thingy done and everything is fine. im confused cause it was way less involved than i imagined or was told. im not complaining mind you im just confused.

they did another u/s and that was it. i swear he told me something about weekly fetal monitoring but that didnt happen.

they just did an u/s where she did the BPP. she neglected to tell me i was supposed to eat right before so it had been like 2 hours since i had eaten so she was jabbing me in the stomach with the u/s wand.
then she said i passed.

then the dr was like "ok yeah everything's fine come back in a week"

ok, so why did you make me do that in the first place?

believe me im not complaining! im ecstatic everything was fine but it's like last week they were all concerned and this week they were like "meh"
he didnt even measure me this week.
i think he had a case of the "it's friday at 4pm" syndrome.

so yeah BabyPunk is good (yay!)
however i am GBS+ so i am mega bummed cause i REALLY REALLY REALLY didnt want an IV but somewhere a few pages back someone made it sound like it's not a continual IV throughout labor? i get my penicilin and then im done??? is that true.

ugh.

other than that i have a sneaking suspicion i gained like 5-7 lbs since last week. they didnt actually tell me my weight this week but i could obviously see it and if it's what i thought it was and if i remember last week's weigh in i gained about 5-7 lbs. im pretty sure it's all from the vegan cake from my baby shower too. omnomnomnom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

LisaPunk wrote:

however i am GBS+ so i am mega bummed cause i REALLY REALLY REALLY didnt want an IV but somewhere a few pages back someone made it sound like it's not a continual IV throughout labor? i get my penicilin and then im done??? is that true.

ugh.

That might've been me and in my case, it was not a big deal. The nurse put the IV stint (not sure if that's the right word) when I got there and I want to say it took 15 minutes to push the antibiotics through (pretty much the time it took to check my vitals, check baby, monitor for a bit). Then I was unhooked with just the stint. I was in the tub, out of the tub, walking around, up, down.... I was initially bummed, but now I can barely remember having it... so it was a non-issue for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my husband was reading something that they have to give it to you either every 4 or every 8 hours during labor depending on what type they give you or something so i guess it depends on how long your labor is.

and i think exactly like you said they will put it in and then unhook it but leaving the IV part in your hand (? i assume its the hand)

i just have this "thing" about IVs. both times i had surgery i remember begging the nurses at the end to take the damn things out. they just bother me.

definitely not gonna make it a thing in my brain though. will just go with the flow.
hopefully it will be a non-issue for me too. i have a feeling that part will be up to me though! better get over my IV issues ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:37 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Lisa, I am super, super wigged out by IVs (I'm not squeamish generally, but the first time I ever had an IV I passed out from terror, seriously) and i was worried about having one during labor... Then I had the heplock in for both my labors and did not give one shiitake! Labor is such a weird state of mind, I think you can't know what will or won't bother you then, so I think you're right to try not to worry about it now.

Also, it blows my mind that you're close enough to due to be having BPPs!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:58 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah i was thinking about it this morning. when you have surgery you're laying around in a hospital bed bored and wanting to go home and you have time to stare at the IV in your arm and think about how much you dont want it there.

during labor they will probably put it in me, i will dislike it for 3 minutes and then i will forget it's there ;-)

and yeah i have like 3.5 weeks til my due date!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

that just means chiveggie is even closer!!!! (week and a half??)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Since there is no such thing as TMI on the ppk im gonna ask whether or not this is normal. I will be 37 weeks this week and like food is a serious issue. not only do I have raging acid reflux but I cant seem to fit anything in my stomach. Anytime I eat ANYTHING I immediately have to poo and it’s a very small and uncomfortable and not quite fully formed poo. It hurts my butthole cause it’s like not a fully formed normal poo. It’s not diarrhea but it’s like I don’t think things are fully digesting.

I kinda feel like this is probably normal since at this point all my organs are so squished but I thought I would ask to see if this is something I should address with my Dr. I literally just ate a granola bar and was like “ehhhhh don’t feel good, must poo” and then had a tiny fire poo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Fire in the hole!

LP, I'm not quite there yet, but I totally feel like I am pooping all the time and my asparagushole does not like all the wiping (definitely not solid poos). I actually feel like I'm pooping more than I'm eating. I never ate this little with my previous pregnancies, but I am still putting on the same amount of weight and pooping a ton.

I would mention it at your next prenatal appointment if it is really bothering you, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get an appointment just because of odd pooping during pregnancy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah I feel like it's probably normal. like I understand the physiology of it with everything crammed and squished I just feel like I cant eat anything.

blehhhh.....

I already told my husband im never eating again and it's water and air for me!

ill mention it this Friday at my appt.

fire in the hole is definitely right! hahahaha!
man I cant wait to be done with this pregnancy nonsense!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:31 am 
Married to the wolfman

Sorry LP! The end of both my pregnancies were miserable digestively. With E, I was so super constipated. With M, diarrhea, reflux, and constant vomiting. These organs don't want to get squashed!

My OB definitely said this was within the realm of normal, because of hormones and also the whole organ compression issue.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks. sounds like people have had similar experience so I feel better knowing it's normal.

im so tired of feeling like crepe all the time.
at my baby shower two of my aunts were saying how much they loved being pregnant because they felt so great all the time and I was like "oh yeah you need to leave now" :-P

at least im not puking! yay for that!

my stomach is definitely displeased with being smushed though!
and I totally forgot about the stupid evil hormones! (how could I?!?!?!?!)

3ish weeks to go :-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:31 pm 
Chip Strong

Oh sorry LisaPunk. I remember just being really constipated at the end of my last pregnancy. And the hemorrhoids! Pretty much the same this time around. And oh my gosh, three weeks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

So sorry LisaPunk! Older people who say they loved being pregnant must have no actual recollection of how terrible it is. I remember being so miserable in the last weeks. I gave myself horrible diarrhea eating a ton of oily, spicy food trying to put myself into labor at like 39 weeks or something. It didn't work and all I got was more discomfort! BUT I was amazed how within days of giving birth how I totally forgot the misery of pregnancy. You'll make it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

mandycoot wrote:
BUT I was amazed how within days of giving birth how I totally forgot the misery of pregnancy. You'll make it!

my best friend who gave birth two weeks ago was like "my heartburn went away the instant I gave birth! it was AMAZING!"

yay!

ill just tough out these last few weeks. strangely enough my lunch didn't make me sick so yay for that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:10 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Every time I go to sleep, I have a dream or nightmare about this pregnancy. In the last dream, I took another pregnancy test because of the spotting I've been having in real life, and it came back not pregnant. My doctor got mad about that and said that I must have lied about being pregnant and I wasn't allowed to go back. Because of the negative test, we ran out of options and ended up going to Home Depot. I told the sales associate that I wanted to get pregnant again, and he said that he thought he would be able to do the appointments and delivery. Then he was asking me about which doors I wanted to look at while delivering.

I'm guessing that even when the spotting stops and I hear that everything is OK, I'll probably still have some nightmares.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:14 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Home Depot birth! Oh, Bastah, *hugs*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm getting so annoyed with my OB office. Their scheduler messed up, so my initial appointment which should have been at around 10 weeks got pushed out to 12. Whatever. Then they called me last week and said they had to reschedule my appointment because my doctor was now going to be in surgery. Cool. Moved it to later on the same day. No big. Today they call and say the doctor's going to be gone that week, actually, and her schedule shouldn't have been open for appointments at all. Moved my appointment to a couple days later. Argh. I know it's small potatoes but I would just like to hear the freaking heartbeat and get a couple questions answered before I'm in my second trimester, people. I love my doctor and the nurses, but the office staff are kind of awful.

Sorry you're feeling so lousy, LP. You're so close, though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 312  Next