| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #2** Isa & Terry
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

allularpunk wrote:
Tonight is the Ancho Lentil tacos from the PPK blog! I love tacos and lentils, so I'm positive this will be a win.

This recipe is one of my favorites! I have made it so many times.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Love Child wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Tonight is the Ancho Lentil tacos from the PPK blog! I love tacos and lentils, so I'm positive this will be a win.

Yay, excitement! Lentils and Mexican food are two of the things my guy will eat (and they're customizable, so I can add more veggies to mine), so I'm hoping for a big victory in the kitchen tonight.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:59 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Last night from V'con I made the Greek Tofu Benedict, which required several other V'con recipes: Basic Broiled Tofu, which is a much used recipe at this point for me, and Dill-Tahini Sauce, which was new for me. The whole thing came out very tasty. I served the benedicts with a side of steamed asparagus, also topped with dill-tahini sauce. It all made for a lovely and satisfying meal. The Dill-Tahini sauce tastes even better today than it did last night. I almost accidentally left out the balsamic vinegar. I tasted the sauce and felt that it was really missing something. V'con recipes are usually well seasoned, so I re-read the recipe, discovered my mistake, added the vinegar, and it added exactly what was missing, of course!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

A couple of people at work had some of the muffins and they raved about them. One went back for a second one. Meanwhile, I had one last night, one this morning, one at lunch, one this afternoon and one when I got home. I'm not going to count how many that is altogether. I will practice denial.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Last night I made a salad, jut a simple one with corn and black beans, and a creamy cilantro avacado dressing.

I did make the Tempeh Asado from Viva Vegan to go with it.

Here are some pics:

Man, was that Tempeh YUMMY. Omni partner liked it too. We both like tempeh, but have to be careful with it, since it can come out bitter. This was a win though. And super fast and easy. I used my new(ish) cast iron to 'grill' these up. I don't think they would have been as good on a non-stick or stainless.

Over the weekend I made fronch toast too (have made it before though). I found a bag of pre-cut sourdough baggette slices on sale at the store for .50 I was like FRONCH TOAST!! haha. they were perfect. If you ever see those bags of little bagguette slices, take my advice and buy them for fronch toast.

Tonight is the broccoli bistro chowder from AFR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Victoire wrote:
From Viva Vegan, I made the refried beans and cilantro lime rice. Both were delicious! I cheated a bit with the beans and pureed them in the food processor rather than mash for ten minutes! I preferred the smooth consistency.

That's a great idea! I like tips that save time in the kitchen.

Love Child wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

I've got to put these tacos on my list, they sound great.

Rhizopus Oligosporus: That sounds terrific!
daisychain: I'm pretty sure these muffins are healthy, right? Right? :)

For lunches this week (and upcoming weekend prob) Mr. Zula & I made lots of things from Viva Vegan:

~ Venezuelan-Style Black Beans: Used homemade sofrito, crushed tomatoes and papelon. A bit bland, but good & creamy. Excellent base for other things.
~ Yellow Rice with Garlic: Used annatto oil, left out cilantro. Creamy & delicious, planning on making this a regular dish.
~ Cuban "Ropa Vieja" Style Shredded Seitan: Used homemade red seitan, veg broth, crushed tomatoes. Juicy!
~ Creamy Avocado-Tomato Salsa: Used canned tomatoes, lime juice. Looks gross, tastes good!

So we took all that and put it in a wrap! I thought it probably didn't need the salsa, but I just wanted to try it. Oh my, this wrap was so good. We couldn't really distinguish any of the individual components, but it all combines to make a creamy & satisfying wrap. The seitan turned out so tender & juicy you'd hardly know it was there at all!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:52 pm 

Chicki wrote:
Man, was that Tempeh YUMMY. Omni partner liked it too. We both like tempeh, but have to be careful with it, since it can come out bitter. This was a win though. And super fast and easy. I used my new(ish) cast iron to 'grill' these up. I don't think they would have been as good on a non-stick or stainless.

I've been eyeing that recipe too. It looks quick & easy. Glad to hear it is! I've been thinking of getting a reversible cast iron grill/griddle recently. I may have to bump it up sooner.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

You guys are really making me want to buy Viva Vegan. Like, so bad. I will try to wait until after the challenge is over, though, since I probably wouldn't use it til then anyway.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

allularpunk - you should get it, it's one of my most favorite cookbooks of all time

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:22 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

My first recipe I've made from V'con is curried tofu. It's my lunch for the next 2 days. I loves me some tofu sammiches.

Edit... just had a slice of it on it's own. Yum!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

just had a tiny sample of the chickpea "tuna salad" from VWAV. OMG, this is going to be so amazing once it's properly chilled.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:42 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

We made the Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Banh Mi sandwiches with Star Anise Daikon Pickle, both from Vegan Eats World. We added avocado as well, because, you know, avocado. The meal was SO GOOD! My omni bf couldn't stop raving about it and wants to make it again tonight.

My only complaint is that I thought the pickle was way too salty - I'd cut back by half next time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Kidsdoc- I can't believe I haven't made this recipe yet! It sounds so good!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tonight I made the Ma Po tofu from VEW. I never had this dish before so can't compare it to anything. But all the other asian dishes in this book have been spot on. I loved this tofu dish. I served it over pink rice with a side of sauteed yu choy. It was so good and the more I ate it, the more I liked it. I will add this one to the regular rotation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

“chickpea-hijiki salad sammiches” on page 106 from Vegan with a Vengeance. no desire to track down hijiki or find a sub for it so i had more egg salad sandwiches rather than tuna fish style sandwiches. the filling was wonderful. veganaisse rocks my world. and the recipe too. it's a total keeper.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

bookwormbethie, that sammie looks amazing! I would totally nom on that right now.

Made the Ancho Lentils from the PPK blog, but made them into burritos, including the Mexican Millet from VCON. The millet was a last minute addition, and I'm glad I made it! I've made it a bunch before, but it's been awhile. Made it in my rice cooker, and with ketchup instead of tomato paste, because I didn't have enough for both. It was great, as always. The lentils were wonderful, too! Very spicy! My guy ate two burritos of this! He didn't add the black olives or avocado, but otherwise, they were identical. I made seven freezer burritos from the leftovers that I am very pumped about. Love freezer burritos. Hurrah!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm still thinking about those potato rolls a few pages back...I love making them for thanksgiving. I usually eat an entire dozen on my own, though :(
This week, I've made the Lemon Corn Blueberry cobbler from VPITS, (good, but spouse broke a tooth on a bit of cornmeal. Eep!), tofu scramble from Vegan Brunch, (love it with lots of kale sautéed in. Makes it seem virtuous that way), and Grapefruit Icebox cookies from VCIYCJ. I actually made a double batch of the cookies (had grapefruit to use up). I think I prefer them without the zest on top. Just a little too tingly for my tongue. But, they are wonderful. I really love these super-citrusy-buttery cookies. They strongly remind me of soft shortbread. Which means my spouse doesn't like them. Oh well!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

brassicajane-I haven't had the grapefruit icebox cookies, but if you like buttery, shortbready, citrusy cookies, I highly recommend the Citrus Glitter cookies from VCIYCJ. They are awesome!

I'm a bit behind this week(s), and I have no pictures. Over the weekend, I made Polenta Rancheros and the Creamy Avocado Potato Salad from VB. The polenta rancheros was good, even better with the cashew sour cream on top, which really helped to cut the spicy and add a depth of flavor. Not sure I'd make it again, but it was tasty enough. Potato salad was just okay. Potatoes seemed to suck the flavor out of the guac. I think that is probably just how I feel about potato salad in general. Yesterday, we had the Spinach Linguine with Basil Cilantro Pesto from VCON. This was outstanding. I added some roasted chickpeas, which were nice too. This will be a regular in our rotation, I think. Technically, if you consider the sour cream and pesto as individual recipes, I'm at 5. I'll be home with a sick kid tomorrow, so I plan to make some more. Some cookies, perhaps!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:09 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Ooh! Thanks for the cookie rec :) I will also have to give the basil cilantro pesto another look. Intriguing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:43 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It is my first time to participate in a cooking challenge!

I made the pumpkin chocolate loaf from the ppk blog.
Good, moist chocolate cake! My changes: I reduced the sugar a little and replaced the applesauce with melted margarine. I like fat, hehe.

Then I also made the suflower mac also from the blog and the gazpacho dressing from Viva Vegan which I then used to dress some iceberg lettuce that needed using up.
Sunflower Mac: Not spectacular but nice and comfort-food-y. I made half of the sauce recipe, mixed that with precooked pasta (200g) and frozen peas and popped it into the oven to finish cooking. Yum!
Gazpacho dressing: I love the concept of the dressing to used pureed vegetables to give it some body. I left out the chili and added 2 tsp of sugar which I thought were absolutely necessary to counterbalance the acidity of the vinegar. The salad was the perfect accompanyment to the noochy pasta with its tangy dressing. I liked a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I posted this in the Vcon thread, but am going to post here as well so I can figure out what I'm doing.

I want to make the Mac Daddy tonight, but will be at work until 7:30 and because its a new recipe for me I'm pretty confident that I will be slow at making it (I get flustered easily). So I'm working if I can do everything before I go to work and let the casserole sit in the fridge, covered, and for it a fresh stir and pop it in the oven when I get home. Anyone see any issues with this plan? Sauce separation or something?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:38 am 

Moon wrote:
I posted this in the Vcon thread, but am going to post here as well so I can figure out what I'm doing.

I want to make the Mac Daddy tonight, but will be at work until 7:30 and because its a new recipe for me I'm pretty confident that I will be slow at making it (I get flustered easily). So I'm working if I can do everything before I go to work and let the casserole sit in the fridge, covered, and for it a fresh stir and pop it in the oven when I get home. Anyone see any issues with this plan? Sauce separation or something?

I've made this lots before and even frozen it. The sauce might thicken up a bit more, but it shouldn't be a problem. I would set it out while the oven heats up and it might take just a smidge longer in the oven, but other than that, you should be good to go!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I made the Tomato Lentil Soup with Spinach and Olives today. Non-smoky, though. I knew I was going to love it because it has spinach and tomatoes and kalamata olives - and indeed, it's very good!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

@lily, glad you joined us! and thanks for sharing! LOVE the idea of throwing peas into the sunflower mac.

Definitely going to make either the ancho lentil tacos or snobby joes for dinner thurs/fri. i'll ask my hubby which one he will want. i hope i can convert him to being a lentil lover.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:22 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Now I'm craving burritos!

I made the ful medames with green tahini sauce from VEW today. Wasn't blown away. The beans were nice, but I wasn't a big fan of the parsley-tomato topping. I guess i just don't like parsley in big amounts. Also the green tahini sauce was too strong. Too much garlic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next