| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vit D2 vs vit D3 basics?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:36 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the difference between Vit D3 and Vit D2? All I remember is D3 is not vegan and D2 is but many people still choose to do D3. I forget why. I was one of those people who was doing D3. I don’t remember why I feel like D3 is better somehow or better absorbed?

When I was trolling amazon for vitamin refills and the D2 ones were WAAAAAY cheaper than D3 so I bought those.

Should I take a higher dosage or something? with the D3 I take 2000IU a day and at some point when it’s actually reliably summer here I would probably go down to 1000IU a day.

Im super duper fair and the sun is not my friend so I don’t get a lot of natural vit D so im definitely one of those people who needs to supplement.

Please advise!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

Post subject: Re: vit D2 vs vit D3 basics?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think D3 is meant to be more easily absorbed. Can't remember really. There are vegan D3 available now. I think the ones I got are from a company called Garden of Life. I didn't know there was a vegan D3 until I asked for D2 at the health store and the person working there told me about GOL since she knew I was vegan. It wasn't crazy expensive from what I can remember.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

You might search out lots of earlier vitamin D threads. But basically, D2 disappears from your body more quickly and may not be as effective for a minority of people. I have severe Vitamin D deficiency and finally started using one of the new vegan D3's which has helped. From what I've read, this may be the only truly vegan D3: http://www.foodfightgrocery.com/vitashi ... u-capsule/ And I do buy it from FoodFight! as I like to support them and the price is good.

I take 5000 IU daily of the vitashine D3, which I need to keep my levels up. D2 seemed to work for awhile, but my numbers started declining again, even at 7000 IU. They're holding steady now.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:23 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

There have been a couple of studies indicating that D3 might be absorbed better than D2. I don't know about therapeutic doses for deficiencies, but for regular everyday maintenance with D2 I don't think you need to take a higher dosage. I don't take a dedicated D2 supplement because my calcium supplement contains 25% of the DV and my multi contains 100% of the DV. I also get some through fortified foods.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Jill wrote:
But basically, D2 disappears from your body more quickly and may not be as effective for a minority of people.

this seems to be the crux of it. I just read (most of) an article on Jack Norris' website and some of the sciency stuff went over my head but he basically said the same thing.

Quote:
"There are some other things to consider about the research comparing D2 to D3, the most important of which is that vitamin D2 is probably adequate for most people. Even though D3 might increase vitamin D levels somewhat better than D2, D2 still increases the levels well into and beyond the range that is considered optimal by the Institute of Medicine."

http://veganhealth.org/articles/bones#d2d3

I used to have like no vitamin D a few years ago when they started testing for it and was put on the mega dose and it gave me migraines so I just started taking the regular stuff everyday and to my knowledge ive been fine ever since. since my levels are already up im thinking the D2 should be ok for me. im not trying to raise them im just trying to maintain them.

ill keep the vitashine stuff in mind for next time I need a refill.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:47 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I asked my doctor (cause I had super low Vitamin D) and he said the difference is that your body makes D3 when your in the sun and stores it in some organ I forgot the name of (the colon?) and then when you need to use it your body converts it to D2. He said taking either one is fine, cause either way you end up with D2, just be more careful with not skipping the D2 supplement, because your body won't store it. he didn't think it mattered which one I took, as long as my Vitamin D went up. I take the Deva D2 and it's been going up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was taking non-vegan D3 (lanolin based, not fish) because I wasn't getting improvement on my D-levels with D2 (and had a deficiency). I bought some of the vegan D3s but they made me nauseous (I think it was the mushroomy taste, which is weird because I like mushrooms). Anyway, I stopped taking them because of that but then I wasn't taking anything, so I just went back to the non-vegan D3.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I took 5000IU of D2 a day to fix a serious deficiency. I was within optimal range within three months. So I think you have to figure out for yourself whether or not you need to worry about d3. The prescription megadoses are also D2 (but come in gelcaps), but I think at those doses the difference in absorption probably doesn't matter.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]