| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 426  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:07 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Dave the Cat wrote:
At two different restaurants that label the vegan menu items, I've seen items not labeled vegan although there was nothing in the description that would suggest they weren't. I asked what made them not vegan, and the answer both times was that they are fried in the same oil as other stuff. I don't care about that, but I then felt like I shouldn't order those items or they would think I wasn't really vegan. So maybe I am my own problem, but I was annoyed.

I'm actually the annoying person that asks if my food is cooked in oil or on a grill with any meat or seafood. I'm allergic to shrimp, and that's part of the reason I ask. But also I don't want to eat it if it is, even if there's no shrimp involved.
That's great of the restaurant to do that. Some places I ask about something and it is labelled vegan or veggie, and then fried in the same deep fryer as chicken and shrimp. And I'm like um, no.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:09 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Dave the Cat wrote:
At two different restaurants that label the vegan menu items, I've seen items not labeled vegan although there was nothing in the description that would suggest they weren't. I asked what made them not vegan, and the answer both times was that they are fried in the same oil as other stuff. I don't care about that, but I then felt like I shouldn't order those items or they would think I wasn't really vegan. So maybe I am my own problem, but I was annoyed.

In situations like that I say "eh, some vegans won't eat it but it works for me!" Because I am not one for purity and I really don't think animals are helped by me not eating french fires that shared a grease pit with something I don't eat.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:18 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Yeah, if I have no personal ethical qualms with something it becomes less of a "vegan" thing and just what's right for me. There's no vegan rule book. There's probably hundreds of everyday things some vegans avoid that other vegans don't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think oil is one of those tricky things anyway. Like, I don't want to eat something cooked in bacon grease, but if big chunks of meat aren't falling off in the deep fryer with french fries, I guess it's not a big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:33 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

FootFace wrote:
If they admit they like it, people will think they aren't real men.

It was the woman anchor who was like 'it's salty'...Um? They giveaway fast food weekly and she has yet to complain about the salt in it.

Also next segment they had steak and all was returned to good and normal.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:28 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

One of the major supermarket chains here runs an ad campaign that goes, "because we all buy _______" (as in, because we all buy x the price has gone down because we're people just like you and care so very much that your food is affordable, I guess). This week the signs said, "because we all buy bacon", "because we all buy (dairy) ice cream" and "because we all buy (meaty) frozen pizza". Um, no! We don't!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:06 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's kind of like the new Wendy's (?) commercials where the voiceover is like "no one in the history of mankind has ever said that's too much bacon"

ummm yeah gross I would

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:05 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Just posted this in the space to post things that... thread, but it really belongs here:

So, I posted a pic of my breakfast on facebook, and captioned it saying something about how I meant to buy sausage patties, but bought burgers instead and how my breakfast was going to be really weird. And this girl comments, 'You're eating meat?' Ack. No! I hate that I have to write 'veggie' or 'fake' (which I basically refuse to use, since my food is not 'fake') or make up some cutesy word like 'fauxsage' so that people don't think I'm eating meat. Hey, dude, I am, like, craaaaazy vegan over here, so please just assume I mean the vegan equivalent of whatever I'm talking about. Except I know that's not fair to the 'normals', either. It's just silly. It's like when kittee was talking about how she now has to write out 'ethical vegan' to describe herself as a person who gives a shiitake about animals, not a person who is vegan only in their diet, for their health.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:10 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah that happened to me when I posted something about "mac n cheese"

the thing that really irritated me is the person who made a comment was vegan.
I HATE the vegan police.

im not writing mac n "cheese" or mac n cheez or vegan mac n cheese

whatever dudes!! just assume everything I post is vegan unless it's bleeding!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 am 

creep wrote:
I think oil is one of those tricky things anyway. Like, I don't want to eat something cooked in bacon grease, but if big chunks of meat aren't falling off in the deep fryer with french fries, I guess it's not a big deal.

Yeah, this is me, too. Last night I grilled out with my dude and he made super sure that his pork chop didn't touch any of my veggies, they had their own separate foil packs before they hit the grill, we used separate tongs, etc, but then he shut the lid while they were both on there, and I stopped and thought, 'Am I ok with this?' And talked it out with him (he was totally willing to leave the lid open if I wasn't ok with it), and decided that I didn't think that my stuff sharing the same airspace with a pork chop was going to make it any less vegan for me. I mean, I didn't LOVE it, but it didn't infuse pork flavor into it or anything, either, so no big deal. That being said, I did keep foil under my stuff because I didn't want it touching his meat covered surface, and at places where I can see the stuff being cooked (like Pita Pit), I have them microwave my falafel or whatever or get something that isn't hot/cooked so I don't have to see it swimming in meat juices. I guess I'm kind of all over the place with that... So I guess what I'm saying is that, when I can control it, I do, but if it's out of my control, I'm not going to lose my mind over it.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Last edited by allularpunk on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 am 

LisaPunk wrote:
whatever dudes!! just assume everything I post is vegan unless it's bleeding!

Hahaha, gross, but true!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:22 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

About the cooking veggies where meat is: when I first went vegan, I had someone tell me I wasn't really vegan because I'd use pots and pans (that have been cleaned!) that are also used to cook meat and they have friends whose teenagers are vegan and they have to have their own separate pans for everything. I was very confused.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:27 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

So they same news team that was talking smack about the veg burritos yesterday had a burger guy on today...The anchor was like "your my hero, I read that you turned your wife into a meat eater after she was vegetarian for 17 years"...."Dude my wife is vegetarian give me some tips"...

I have a tip for his wife: leave him...jerk.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:47 am 
Ninja Master

missmuffcake wrote:
So they same news team that was talking smack about the veg burritos yesterday had a burger guy on today...The anchor was like "your my hero, I read that you turned your wife into a meat eater after she was vegetarian for 17 years"...."Dude my wife is vegetarian give me some tips"...

I have a tip for his wife: leave him...jerk.

ugh, wanker. I have an uncle who likes to say he takes great pleasure in converting vegetarians back to meat. I think my cousin's girlfriend was veggie but now eats meat again or something and he seems to think it's his doing.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:46 pm 

I know this has probably been covered a zillion times, but I'm a bit pissed off about it right now so I'm going to vent.

But, yeah... places that won't even attempt to make you vegan food.

My uncle/auntie/cousins are coming down and we're all going out to a place I normally wouldn't eat at. It's an independently run "gastro pub" type place, so no excuses like it being a chain that has to follow certain recipes or all the food coming in prepackaged/premade or whatever. Anyway, I phoned to see if there was anything that I could eat on the menu, and they were like "salad and chips". Great. So I asked if there was anything else they could adapt or make, and they just said "not for vegans, no". Real helpful. forkers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 pm 
Grandfathered In

They're edgy rebels in aprons!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Disappearing Ink wrote:
My uncle/auntie/cousins are coming down and we're all going out to a place I normally wouldn't eat at. It's an independently run "gastro pub" type place, so no excuses like it being a chain that has to follow certain recipes or all the food coming in prepackaged/premade or whatever. Anyway, I phoned to see if there was anything that I could eat on the menu, and they were like "salad and chips". Great. So I asked if there was anything else they could adapt or make, and they just said "not for vegans, no". Real helpful. forkers.

So let the restaurant know they're losing a lot of business and go elsewhere? There must be lots of other options where you can all find something good to eat.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 pm 

Simply_Love wrote:
About the cooking veggies where meat is: when I first went vegan, I had someone tell me I wasn't really vegan because I'd use pots and pans (that have been cleaned!) that are also used to cook meat and they have friends whose teenagers are vegan and they have to have their own separate pans for everything. I was very confused.

I'm fine with cleaned pans. The only pan I wouldn't cook in is a cast iron pan that has had meat cooked in it, cause it's like seasoned and in the pan forever, I feel like. Or like a nasty baking tray that looks like it still has lard burned on it.
I also have a thing with cutting boards, those have to be separate. I think it's caused I live with an omni and I noticed that chicken seems to like stick to the cutting board in a disgusting manner and I'm not sure it comes out. But anyway if you follow food safety rules your supposed to have separate cutting boards so you don't get salmonella and stuff. But yea if I see veggies being cut on a board that I saw meat on previously, I won't eat them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Am I the only one who gets sick? Every time I've had a veggie burger cooked on a grill with meat, I get the worst stomach pains.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:32 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Am I the only one who gets sick? Every time I've had a veggie burger cooked on a grill with meat, I get the worst stomach pains.

No, that's happened to me before. I stopped ordering veggie burgers at diners for that reason, a lot of places throw it on the grill with everything else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Alaina wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
No, that's happened to me before. I stopped ordering veggie burgers at diners for that reason, a lot of places throw it on the grill with everything else.

I've gotten sick from deep fat fryers in non-veg places - but that was a lifetime ago when I was still vegetarian. I wouldn't order anything like that from an omni restaurant now. In fact, I don't eat at omni places if I can avoid it because I'm grossed out at the possibility of cross contamination.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:42 pm 

Jill wrote:
Alaina wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I've gotten sick from deep fat fryers in non-veg places - but that was a lifetime ago when I was still vegetarian. I wouldn't order anything like that from an omni restaurant now. In fact, I don't eat at omni places if I can avoid it because I'm grossed out at the possibility of cross contamination.

I get grossed out by crossed contamination too. Especially since I'm allergic to shrimp (like touch a shrimp, then touch my arm, come back 30 minutes later and that area is red). And I've gotten sick at omni places and had a suspicion it was from some kind of meat grease or what not, or maybe some seafood cross contamination in my food. I'm ok with omni veggie-friendly places. I feel if they have made the effort to have veggie and vegan food they know about those things somewhat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:38 pm 

lavawitch wrote:

Nope, I get sick too if something is cooked in meat grease.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:29 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Jill wrote:
In fact, I don't eat at omni places if I can avoid it because I'm grossed out at the possibility of cross contamination.

I feel the same way. I get sick pretty easily when it comes to food contamination issues.

Today I saw someone at the bookstore buying "Betty Goes Vegan"...I was like "that is a cool book! are you vegan?" she said "yes", I replied "me too!"...I thought I could make a new vegan friend, she said something and left. :/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:43 am 
WELFARIST!

allularpunk wrote:
Just posted this in the space to post things that... thread, but it really belongs here:

So, I posted a pic of my breakfast on facebook, and captioned it saying something about how I meant to buy sausage patties, but bought burgers instead and how my breakfast was going to be really weird. And this girl comments, 'You're eating meat?' Ack. No! I hate that I have to write 'veggie' or 'fake' (which I basically refuse to use, since my food is not 'fake') or make up some cutesy word like 'fauxsage' so that people don't think I'm eating meat. Hey, dude, I am, like, craaaaazy vegan over here, so please just assume I mean the vegan equivalent of whatever I'm talking about. Except I know that's not fair to the 'normals', either. It's just silly. It's like when kittee was talking about how she now has to write out 'ethical vegan' to describe herself as a person who gives a shiitake about animals, not a person who is vegan only in their diet, for their health.

This reminds me of when a FB friend posted pictures of the veggie meats she was eating (like Boca and Morningstar) and someone commented on a photo of a box of Morningstar corn dogs that "for a vegetarian, you sure eat a lot of meat." Seriously???

Reply to topic  [ 10647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 426  Next